February 6th, 2014

Top U.S. diplomat launches f-bomb on EU in leaked recorded conversation

By Elise Labott

A leaked audio recording of a phone call allegedly catches the top U.S. diplomat to Europe working on a behind-the-scenes deal to end the Ukrainian political turmoil, and using profanity to express strong frustrations with inaction and indecision by the European Union in resolving the crisis.

In the conversation, voices closely resembling those of Assistant Secretary for European Affairs Victoria Nuland and U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt discuss a plan to broker a deal between the Ukrainian government and the opposition.

At one point the woman, who sounds like Nuland, can be heard saying "f**k the EU."

The recording was uploaded on YouTube on February 4 by an anonymous user named "Maidan Puppets," and had been viewed more than 11,000 times as of Thursday. The name of the user appears to be a reference to Maidan Square in Kiev, where protestors have fought the government and Russian accusations that the protestors are puppets of the West. The call also was posted on the Kyiv Post, a leading Ukrainian newspaper.

The call cannot be independently verified and it is unclear when or where it was recorded.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki declined to speak about the details of a private conversation, but did not say the call was inauthentic.

The U.S. is pointing a finger at Russian involvement in the matter of the leaked call. Russia has accused the U.S. in meddling in Ukraininan affairs, and U.S officials suggested Moscow likely tapped Nuland and Pyatt's phone conversation and leaked it out of concern about a potential deal between the government and the opposition

Although she said she didn't have independent detail about the origin of the YouTube video, Psaki said the fact the recording was first tweeted out by an employee in Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin's office was an "indication" they played a role.

"Certainly we think this is a new low in Russian trade-craft," Psaki said, using a term that refers to a nation state's espionage activities. "This is something they've been actively promoting, posting on."

The conversation appears to address Ukranian President Viktor Yanukovych's January 25 offer of a power-sharing deal with opposition leader Arseniy Yatseniuk as prime minister and Vitaly Klitschko as deputy prime minister in a new national unity government. Both men refused Yanukovych's offer.

The woman sounding like Nuland says, "I don't think it's necessary, I don't think it's a good idea," for Klitschko to have a role in the government, adding that she favors Yatseniuk to be the new prime minister.

"I think Yats (Yatseniuk) is the guy who's got the economic experience, the governing experience," Nuland says, according to the recording.

The man sounding like Pratt refers to Vitali Klitschko as the "top dog" among opposition leaders, but suggests Klitschko is too inexperienced to hold a top government post.

"Yeah ... I guess ... in terms of him not going into the government, just let him sort of stay out and do his political homework and stuff," he says. "I'm just thinking in terms of sort of the process moving ahead, we want to keep the moderate democrats together."

Referring to a perceived lack of pressure by the European Union in putting pressure on President Yanukovych, Nuland tells Pratt she has spoken to the United Nations, and that Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon agreed to send someone to broker the discussions.

"That would be great to help glue this thing and to have the U.N. help glue it," Nuland said. "And you know, f**k the EU."

"Exactly," Pyatt replies. "And I think we got to do something to make it stick together, because you can be sure that if it does start to gain altitude the Russians will be working behind the scenes to torpedo it. Let me work on Klitschko, and I think we should get a Western personality to come out here (to Ukraine) and midwife this thing."

"I think we are in play," Pyatt adds.

The recording ends with Nuland saying she can get likely get Vice President Joseph Biden to make a phone call, presumably to Yanukovych "for an atta-boy and to get the deeds to stick." Biden has talked to Yanukovych by telephone at least four times in the last month.

The State Department's Psaki said, "It is no secret that Ambassador Pyatt and Assistant Secretary Nuland have been working with the government of Ukraine, with the opposition, with business and civil society leaders to support their efforts, and it shouldn't be a surprise that at any point there have been discussions about recent events and offers and what is happening on the ground."

She added that Nuland had apologized to her EU counterparts.

Maja Kocijancic, a spokesperson for EU foreign policy chief Cathy Ashton, told CNN, "The EU is engaged in helping the people of Ukraine through the current political crisis. We don't comment on alleged leaked telephone conversations."

1. G_Edwards

I guess p1ssing our allies off one at a time (a la Germany, Brazil, Israel, India, France, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Afghanistan, etc) wasn't good enough.

Now the Obama Administration has to offend the entire EU at once. At least he's efficient.

February 8, 2014 at 12:25 am | Reply
    • Steve

Right, because this woman's name is Barack Obama, and she's the President of the United States.

Wasn't it a Republican President who got us in trouble with all of Europe? I remember something about a unilateral attack on a country somewhere in the Middle East... can't seem to put my finger on it...

February 8, 2014 at 12:33 am | Reply
  2. em

Close your eyes and say "I am covered by the Blood of Jesus" 3 times and you will feel better.
    Once you find out the negative emotion that you have then you can cast out the spirit in the Name of Jesus.
    The fact is that Good is at war with evil.
    Find out what the enemy is using to attack you and do a counter-attack.

I rebuke the Spirit of Anger in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Gluttony in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Lust in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Pride in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Wrath in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Greed in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Laziness in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Envy in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Worriness in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Fear in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Arrogant in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Misery in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Gloomy in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Clumsy in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Stress in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Lonely in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Grief in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Hate in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Sorrow in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Revenge in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Rejection in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Annoyed in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Criticism in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Boredom in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Dissappointment in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Awfulness in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Despair in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Guilt in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Doubt in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Frustration in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Suffering in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Grief in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Rage in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Jealousy in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Fear in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Shame the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Pessimistic in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Sadness in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Anxious in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Worry in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Depression in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Nervous in the Name of Jesus.

I rebuke the Spirit of Unpleasant in the Name of Jesus

I rebuke the Spirit of Discourage in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Moody in the Name of Jesus

I rebuke the Spirit of Uncertain in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Apathy in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Bipolar in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke you satan in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Anger in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Addiction in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Stress in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Worry in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Depression in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Pride in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Greed in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Laziness in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Envy in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Lust in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Fear in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Arrogant in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Posttraumatic Stress in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Misery in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Gloomy in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Clumsy in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Lonely in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Grief in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Hate in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Sorrow in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Revenge in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Gluttony in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Rejection in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Annoyed in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Criticism in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Boredom in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Disappointment in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Awfulness in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Despair in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Guilt in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Doubt in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Frustration in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Suffering in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Grief in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Rage in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Jealousy in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Fear in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Shame in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Pessimistic in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Sadness in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Anxious in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Nervous in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Wrath in the Name of Jesus.
    I rebuke the Spirit of Unpleasant in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Discourage in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Moody in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Uncertain in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Apathy in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Addiction in the Name of Jesus
    I rebuke the Spirit of Strife in the Name of Jesus

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins
    and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and
    follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Jesus Name.
    Amen.

February 8, 2014 at 12:01 am | Reply
    • DickPerry

GFYS!

February 8, 2014 at 12:22 am | Reply
    • chermoe

You must be a flippin' crazy Republican. Keep it in church. Many of us don't want what you're selling.

February 22, 2014 at 11:31 am | Reply
  3. Fuzzy stormnight

Popcorn anyone?

February 7, 2014 at 11:37 pm | Reply
    • Alex279

A lot of it.

February 8, 2014 at 1:08 am | Reply
  4. Danlien

What a lousy useless story.

February 7, 2014 at 11:36 pm | Reply
  5. res65

that potty mouth ambassador could be hot in bed

February 7, 2014 at 11:35 pm | Reply
  6. Factsseeker

The trouble with much of the US media is that it cannot tolerate any criticism of US foreign policy, so it censors any blog comments or any of its own journalists if they critisize US policy. The danger with this approach is that the US will remain on its current path of 'force will solve everything'. The reality is that people are more resilient than that. You cannot kill the human spirit you must try instead to convince it to change via reason, not violence. The media must be open to questioning of government policy otherwise there is no hope.

February 7, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  7. Alex279

From this moment she got a nickname which well stick with her forever:

VICTORIA "THE MIDWIFE" NULAND

February 7, 2014 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  8. kommy

Department of States has long lost the track of their purpose and whom they suppose to serve.

Allow me to remind you: you serve the American people, and the country you represent is the United States of America.

So, please put down your "pay-as-you-go" cell phone, and start anew, may be from some diversity in the department.

February 7, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  9. Gordon Gekko

its not really the fbomb that catches my attention, as much as what they were discussing. Talking about organizing protests in Ukraine and creating chaos and disorder, and how EU isn't doing enough to create war there.

February 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Reply
    • Bryce

That's a pretty good way to read around the lines completely. They're discussing a peace deal and being pretty frank about the UN and specific Ukrainian figures.. but no organizing of protests there.

February 7, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Reply
      • Gordon Gekko

have you even listen to them on youtube?? They are talking about supporting the opposition and encouraging further violence.

February 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm |
  10. Dan60093

It's not like she called them Eurotrásh like in South Florida.

February 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm | Reply
  11. BO

This administration is damn pathetic.

February 7, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Reply
    • res65

good call BO

February 7, 2014 at 11:34 pm | Reply
  12. are122

Maybe Nuland should consider finishing High School in a school outside the ghetto.

February 7, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Reply
  13. caesarbc

This only proves that Snowden is a Russian spy.

February 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Reply
    • Cold War is alive

Wrong, this only proves that some people drink too much, and are not aware of their highly respected positions, Happens all the time. Remember where you are, and watch your mouth, or you could be plastered all over the news outlets.

February 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  14. reply

Ah, she didn't make the call but apologizes to the EU for what was said? I'm confused (but, I often am because of my age). Is she not the former spokesperson for Hillary that defended Susan Rice's comments and for weeks and held the line that the Benghazi terrorist attacks were because of a video? One thing we know about Obama's administration is everyone can lie with a straight face–including Barrack (IRS).

February 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Reply
    • Cold War is alive

CNN wants us to believe that the cold war is still alive, for ratings. It's not. Been to Russia several times, they gt their own thing going on there. Hate America? Sure. but not cold war style. Let it go, CNN. You cannot rehash hurt feelings through yellow journalism. Stop it.

February 7, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  15. Stupid American

Can we write a book called "Everybody Spies" and just agree that we don't have all the facts?

February 7, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Reply

How about 'Everyone Lies' in Obama's admin.

February 7, 2014 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  16. Sleuth

I think the bigger story here is that the Russians are listening in on phone calls of American diplomats, and the Americans don't seem to have thought that was a possibility based on their openness. That makes me think the Americans thought they were using a secure telephone line. The Russians took a big risk here releasing this call, I guarantee American diplomats are immediately updating their counter intelligence tradecraft and that the Russians just lost a ton of collection opportunities. It also begs the question of why America is grilled by the world when it comes to spying but no one apparently cares about the Russians spying.

February 7, 2014 at 9:05 pm | Reply
    • SSampson

Do you REALLY think that a US Ambassador has a 'secure' line using US tech between our consulates and foreign consulates?? If this call was between 2 US officials, that argument MAY hold water – if it could be confirmed they were using a secure line...

But seriously – ANY Ambassador that is dumb enough to think this comm. was secure should have their head examined – AFTER being fired.

Some people are saying that this justifies out spying on other countries – specifically friendly countries – ANOTHER ludicrous argument. We have ALWAYS known that spying existed – Lately, however, there have been cases of us spying on our friends – and NOT just for security.... but to aid the Corporate sector... OK – yes – other countries are doing it – I Agree – but that was NOT with our closest friends

As for her comments – well... Remember the EU is comprised of more people and money than the US – and arguably a stronger combined Military...

We need to curb our arrogance – concentrate on security and not on disloyalty...

February 7, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Reply
      • USA>EU

You do know that the US has a vastly more powerful military than they EU, right? Even excepting that EU members like the UK are some of our closest allies...

We should absolutely spy on everyone except out UK/Commonwealth partners, that's how the game is played.

February 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm |

Snowden?

February 7, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Reply
  17. solowd

And to think they complain about the NSA!

February 7, 2014 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  18. Cascade

February 7, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Reply
    • Smith

Are you brain dead?

February 7, 2014 at 9:10 pm | Reply
      • john

ur the braindead one..kid

February 7, 2014 at 9:36 pm |
    • Total2199

"This is nothing more than Russian propaganda. They intercept a diplomatic call and then upload it for the public."

Did you forget that Wiki Leaks still alive and kicking? Intercepting a phone call on unencrypted phone line is a piece of cake for them.

"Russian propaganda stinks of desperation. They don't want Ukraine to join the EU. They want Ukraine to remain a Russian slave."

What really stinks is that the arrogant State Department's diplomat appointed President in the sovereign country and cursed EU. EU must do a better job choosing allies.

February 7, 2014 at 10:09 pm | Reply
  19. svann

Wasnt the EU demanding that tapping and unauthorized recording of conversations be outlawed? Now all of a sudden its A-ok? Well you know what? F them.

February 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Reply
    • heyheyheyy

are you smoking something that you shouldnt have? russians are spying on the US which is to be expected.americans are saying F@!k EU which is not expected. EU has not done anything here.

February 7, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  20. NorCalMojo

First sign of sanity in the State Department in over a decade.

Great news

February 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Reply
  21. karek40

Anyone surprised by the language of our leaders and those they appoint? Washington is corrupt and they appoint corrupt individuals, their wickedness promulgates itself in those they appoint.

February 7, 2014 at 8:30 pm | Reply
  22. Headstrong

This merits news coverage? I wish CNN and most of the commenters here gave a f%^* about real news instead of the language a diplomat uses in what was supposed to be a private telephone call. Everyone uses some form of expletive from time to time. The so called "F-bomb" isn't newsworthy. But we might wonder why CNN and its readers aren't grown up enough to handle the actual word itself. Grow UP people!!

February 7, 2014 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  23. volsocal

I was about to become a Nuland fan until the article says near the end that she apologized.

February 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm | Reply
    • Lou50

I agree

February 7, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Reply
  24. Big Ben

SEE- Other counries do listen in to telephone conversations.

February 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  25. John Geheran

The Barry O. administration keeps digging themselves deeper. The world may not have loved GW but did respect him and his administration.

February 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Reply
    • MrAl

GW was the one of the worst presidents.

February 7, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Reply
      • Stang05

Carter beats any in the recent age.

February 7, 2014 at 8:30 pm |
    • Pelle

Are you nuts? You think the world respected Shrub's war on Iraq? Seriously, go to school.

February 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm | Reply
    • Farrahrahrahrah

In the olden days you would have simply been referred to as John Geheran the Liar. LMFAO!!!!!!

February 7, 2014 at 8:25 pm | Reply
    • YaReally

Is it customary for other countries to throw shoes at you as a sign of respect? lol you conservaturds are hilarious

February 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Reply
    • TNPatriot

Are you brain dead, nobody outside the GOP had any respect for Bush of his administration. The whole world despised him.

February 7, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Reply
  26. Alina1

Funny to watch Americans sticking their noses AGAIN into someones business.. As Ukrainian I am tired of "American "GOOD WILL" blessings that bring nothing but lies .. First Reagan and Thatcher found idi..t Gorbachev and destroyed a mighty nation like Soviet Union, fed us with the " democracy " till we choked on it.

February 7, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Reply
    • Stupid American

You realize the "Americans" sticking their noses there are the diplomats to your country right? Did you think all they did was throw parties and sit in the embassy?

February 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm | Reply
    • Dan60093

Yes, we succeeded in destroying the USSR which was our goal. The USSR collapsed under its own weight because it was unable to match our military spending for an anti-missile system given its stupid economic system which produced so little. Then Afghanistan destroyed your almighty Soviet Army. I guess you were not one of the hot Ukrainian chicks who left to marry a rich German guy.

February 7, 2014 at 11:46 pm | Reply
  27. DennisF

What I don't understand is why they were not using an STU (Secure Telephone Unit). If they were in discussions concerning the US brokering a deal between the Ukrainian Govt and an opposition group, you would think that they would use an STU. On the other hand...if they WERE using an STU and were still intercepted...that would indicate a very serious penetration of communications security!

February 7, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Reply
    • Dan60093

Maybe they wanted to get a message to the EU disguised as a private conversation without saying it to their faces.

February 7, 2014 at 11:22 pm | Reply
    • Alex279

Because it was leaked by an insider somewhere in State Dept. not intercepted by Russia.

The key question is when?

For Russia/Ukraine Putin/Yanukovich the timing is meaninless: it is just illogically too late.

The conversation took place on about Friday January 24. If Ukraine or Russia intercepted it it would be logical for them to leak it right a way during the weekend Januart 25 because this would effectively impeach Yats and Klitsch who were engaged in negotiations with Yanukovich at that moment - before the emergency session of Ukrainian Parliament on Tuesday January 27. On Tueday Yanukovich sucked Azarov's government and made a series of concessions to the opposition. Should he have material so powerful for crippling negotiation power of Yats and Klitsch back on Friday or over that weekend not using it is beyond explanation.

February 7, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Reply
  28. LABorn

I don't know about you, but I don't expect higher officials saying things like this, especially about other countries/allies. She sounds like a moron. Maybe the Russians did us a favor.

February 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Reply
    • Balls of Steel

Why do you hold officials at a higher standard? They get p issed just like you and me.

February 7, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Reply
      • LABorn

I don't hold them to a higher standard. Completely unprofessional.

February 7, 2014 at 9:10 pm |
    • S1N

Why? She's absolutely right on this manner. Fu*k the EU for not handling their own backyard.

February 7, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • Balls of Steel

I am with you on this one. Officials are human ad get frustrated.

February 7, 2014 at 8:15 pm |
      • SWE

Exactly how does EU's "backyard" affect the US?
        Why would the US "handle" any backyard overseas?
        What do you think the Ukrainian people think of someone sitting thousands of miles away, and appointing its future government?
        Who the heck asked the US to "handle" Ukraine's domestic matters?

February 7, 2014 at 9:07 pm |
      • LABorn

If only the US could be more like the EU, it would be heavenly.

February 7, 2014 at 9:11 pm |
      • jimmy carter

the US is often called on by the oposition to handle take over goverments so they can broker deals and make money / secure profitable alliances when they take over. IT'S ALL GREED. Remove the old stronghold and we will become democratic and all profit. Dirty replaces more Dirt! nothing will change.... Stop the Bull Shiyeeet!

February 7, 2014 at 10:27 pm |
    • interested observer

Wow. I am impressed at all the Russian spokesmen (or shills) posting.

You all should take the time to actually learn the issues around Ukraine and the EU. The EU is considering allowing Ukraine to join the EU. Russia is strongly opposed to this and is putting pressure on the Ukrainian government. But the EU is choosing to turn a blind eye to the meddling by Russia.

The USA is in favor of Ukraine joining the EU (and pulling away from Russian domination).

But all the shills posting in support of Russian interference is amazing. Who would have ever thought that Obama bashers would get in bed with Putin?

February 8, 2014 at 1:36 am | Reply
  29. Balls of Steel

Saying that is a normal reaction. I am sure countries in the EU say the same about the US or other EU members. These leaks are meant to embarrass the US. These people can't win on the battlefield so leak the info. F k them

February 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Reply
    • 789

I'm sure the entire world has said F the US.

February 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Reply
    • SWE

So if you get cought stealing, you are going to plead not guilty, because everybody-else-is-stealing?
      Skewed logic.

February 7, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Reply
  30. Cyrus Manz

I am so proud of you Ms. Nuland.
    If every one EU's male diplomats had half your spine, the EU would not be such a miserably dysfunctional and bankrupt hell that it is today.
    GOOD JOB AND ALL THE BEST....I ENVY YOUR HUSBAND ALREADY !!!!!

February 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Reply
    • LABorn

So we don't expect any more from our paid officials than stupid, condescending, immature remarks? I'm embarrassed by her and for her. I could do a better more upstanding job than her, just based on this info!

February 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Reply
      • Alex279

She is still far cry from Sarah Palin.

February 7, 2014 at 11:46 pm |
  31. Dallas7

Nuland should be sacked for her unprofessional and devise comment. This administration has brought relations with Europe (not to mention other allies) to a new post WW2 low over the past several years. Nuland's comments cause further distrust of the US not only by the governments but especially the average citizen. She clearly cannot manage at this level and should not have been promoted from her PA job where she botched Benghazi reporting. It is pure arrogance to try and spin this as blame on the Russians for security services failure in non-secure lines. More importantly, it shows how this administration truly operates...running from teleprompted Kodak moment to Kodak moment with no accountability blaming everyone else for their failures.

February 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Reply
    • J. Foster Dulles

No matter how she said it Dallas7, she was exactly right. If I were the German Chancellor, I'd pull that country out of the EU in a heartbeat and go back to using the strong Deutschmark as the currency. Like I said before, the EU needs to be dissolved.

February 7, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Reply
    • karen

I like Nuland. Merkel too.
      Freedom of speech is good.
      KGB blackmails as usual. So 80s

February 7, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Reply
  32. Dervid

With that mouth, we all know now how she got her appointment ....

February 7, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  33. Steve

What was said was actually the truth, not some conspiracy, but objectively sensical comments. F*K the EU, indeed!

February 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Reply
    • J. Foster Dulles

Thank you, Steve. I fully agree. The EU needs to be dissolved once and for all!

February 7, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  34. malangrad

Just like a woman ... blame the person, place or thing that you just got through cussing out. How about some actual equal application of the "actions have consequences" mantra this time, Mr. O.? Fire this piece of fish and be done with it.

February 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  35. Krehator

*shrug* Free speech.

February 7, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Reply
  36. monty

Putin's have bitten the bait once again.
    I hope that the Ukrainian people will join the free world soon.

February 7, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Reply
    • George patton

Good grief monty, are you trying to be funny here? If not, then yours is one of the dumbest posts here yet!!!

February 7, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  37. General Sherman

Isn't life full of surprises! Now we have a Tea Party member working in the state department, judging by what she said. However, I do agree with her about the EU. That malicious organization wants to take over Ukraine, lock stock and barrel!

February 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Reply
    • Ryan

If you knew anything, you would know she's been working in the State Department in some way or another since the Bill Clinton administration. Tea Party member, indeed.

February 7, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  38. dou44

Keepin' it ghetto and quite hypocritical from the surveillance kings of the world- the USA.

February 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  39. MoodyFoodie

We're shocked? You can't tell me no one in the Bush admin never said "F___ the EU", or "F___ the UN" or F___ anyone who wasn't all for the war...

February 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  40. David

A fundamental qualification to be a diplomat is the necessity to be diplomatic – fire her.

February 7, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  41. RT Colorado

"F@#k the EU" ? All of them ? Wow, that's ambition for you.

February 7, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  42. Keith

Goodness, the nerve of the Russians, acting like Americans.

February 7, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Reply
  43. Hello

So much hate and arrogance on both sides! You all sound like a bunch of fools.

Can't get enough of the propaganda??? The U.S and the E.U are both in the same vile league.

PEACE

February 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • Keith

Don't try to tell them the truth, it doesnt' matter to 80% of Americans

February 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  44. Alex279

To fu&k or not to fu&k? This is the question.

The greatest irony of all is that all the protests in Ukraine were triggered by Yanukovich' refusal to sign a partnership agreement with EU on November 27, 2013. So Victoria Nuland while in Kiiv wen on Maidan and said that people of Ukraine deserve a better and brighter EU future, and evil Yanukovich does not let them go to EU, in fact, Yanukovich said fu&k EU.

And now the very same Victoria Nuland who is saying fu&k the EU. And Geff Pyett agreed, or yeah, absolutely...

But may be Yanukovich was correct at the beginning?

February 7, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Reply
    • General Sherman

He most certainly was, Alex! Joining the EU is undoubtedly the biggest mistake the Ukrainians can make.

February 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Reply
  45. I love Europe

Many things that the US does, shows, that they have no respect from anybody. All I am saying what goes around comes back around. And it will happend. The US is turning many people against them. Lets see how long they can handle it. Look back in history.......many countries had they turns and see where ALL of them now. What is the US doing, that they need to spy on the whole world. Smells like GUILT. Because I was married I moved to the US, lived there for 10 years. I am happy being back in Europe and my time in the US was the worst time in my live. Living in a society where crime is 8-10 time higher then anywhere else in the world. Guns are so important to people in the US,that not many care about kids getting shot going to school. I could go on and on and on. YA'll have so many issues on your own, the US should keep the nose out of other countries business. Klitschko looking out for his people and will do nothing in the US favor. Why should he.?And who gives a f€€€k what the US thinks about Klitschko being in politics. Nobody cares nomore what the US wants. Many countries looking right through the US.......and turn away. That why the US is spying on the world...all the
    dirty s*^%t they doing.......yeah you better watch your back.

February 7, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Reply
    • ManatiDiPorci

Spying is a norm in the world. US is the most spied on nation in the world. What are you talking about? Do you know anything about the Cold War where the USSR and USA were mortal enemies and spied on each other? I guess people tend to forget that spying one an another is a norm in this world.

February 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Reply
    • Ashley

Please don't let the politics reflect the citizens here, we are all frustrated with the govt as well. And it is true, all countries spy. Its part of the govt game.

February 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Reply
    • Steve In SD

That's very well said. Especially from a Cyrillic keyboard.

February 7, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Reply
    • General Sherman

Thank you, I love Europe. You nailed it!

February 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  46. US Puppet State

US government is the Keystone Kop of the world.

February 7, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  47. mike electrician

As the late great George Carlin once said on the reason why we fought the Germans, "they were trying to dominate the world, BS, that is our F'in job," I am sure our government is thinking the same about those calls leaked.

February 7, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  48. obotma

a failing america's government pushed into whining over the the every single thing about the olympics by the disgrace obama is going to cost a lot of the counties athletes a MEDAL!

February 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Reply
    • ManatiDiPorci

The failure of US Government is due to greedy and corrupted politicians, the dumb down education, and the ignorant 90% that votes for these animals. Another one is the spending of money that the government don't have is one of them.

February 7, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Reply
  49. Sergeant

So the contraversy here is that she was doing her job and the the russians were spying on her doing it. OK, moving on.

February 7, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Reply
    • ManatiDiPorci

Stop defending an ignorant woman that was educated in a dumb down education system. Her English is limited therefore she replaces words that she doesn't know with the f-bomb. Come on, you do it too. You are part of the 90% dumb down educate person.

February 7, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Reply
  50. LMAO

Dont let people work in government who want to spy on everybody and do other illegal acts. A lot of countries are going to attack us over stuff like this.

February 7, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Reply
    • ManatiDiPorci

You are ignorant to talk that way. The whole world's countries have been spying on each other forever. Good example KGB and CIA did it all the time. What? Are you surprised that all countries spy on each other? Did you know that USA is the most spied on? Ask the Chines what they have gained from stealing our intel. No? We are the only ones that spy on others, I see how educated you are.

February 7, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  51. 4_sanity

Wow ... Talk about hypocrisy ! The US accuses the Russians of a low point in tradecraft (i.e. spying) by releasing a confidential telephone conversation of disrespectful US diplomats belittling European diplomats.

I think the low point was when it emerged in the last few months that the U.S. had tapped into European leaders (Angela Merkel et al) cell phones for the past 10 years.

February 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  52. TONE

f...k the eu racist soccer fans.

February 7, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  53. steven harnack

Somebody uses real, everyday language to express frustration about the EU and it's an international incident? Thank goodness that there is nothing important happening so everyone has the time and energy to get worked up about someone using a word that just about everyone uses everyday to express extreme vexation about one thing or another. Sheesh!

February 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  54. Brian from Denver

Well, perhaps it's time for the NSA to hand out some interesting conversations between Putin and the Ukraine's President so we can all have a good laugh at his expense.

February 7, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  55. j

so now it is funny. Snowden went to Russia as a whistle blower against spying of foreign diplomats. To which Russia claimed disgust. And now they are doing it themselves?

I guess we need another whistle blower from Russia.

February 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Reply
    • Dan

Why would you say that ? What have they ever done to you ? Think the U.S. is a far better country ?

February 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Reply
      • Dan

Screen moved .. sorry , reply was for new ambassador

February 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm |
    • Alex279

The easiest explanation is that there is another Snowden currently operating in State Depth, and it has nothing to do with Putin/Russia.

You should realize that this is a conversation between a US ambassador and a #1 ranking professional diplomat in State Dept. [John Kerry does not count, because he is just a political appointee - he is there just temporarily. Victoria Nuland currently holds #1 professional diplomat position in the US.] By definition, this conversation is TOP SECRET, so the line through which this conversation took place is secured, encrypted, and protected. Even if the signal is intercepted and recorded, it must be decoded then before it can be listened and understood. If - on the other hand, they were using regular phone which can be potentially listened from Kiiv - then shame on them. Both must be fired from nonprofessionalism. If it is a secured line, then the only way it can be recorded is by somebody who has access to the computed where it was decoded, that is by somebody from INSIDE either State Dept. or US Embassy in Kiiv - Either way, look for another Snowden.

February 7, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  56. The New Ambassador

The only thing I would add is, 'F*** the Russians.'

February 7, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Reply
    • Dan

Says the gay person

February 7, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  57. Peter

My God, what an incompetent stupid cow!

February 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Reply
    • steven harnack

Play with your own feces much? That is the stage of human development that people who get worked up about someone using a bad word to express frustration are locked into.

February 7, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Reply
  58. Paddy

Victoria Nuland was just voicing what millions of Europeans also think about the EU.

February 7, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Reply
    • I love Europe

What do know about Europe anyway. You all talking and have no idea whats going on in Europe anyway.

February 7, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Reply
    • Peter Bruns

Paddy,what you talking about?? 90% prefer the EU ! You forgotten all the NSA ?? You think the Nuland have any edjucation,how she is so high ranking,because of the F..... and stupid USA.

February 7, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  59. Peter Bruns

Why you said this?? NULAND,you are absolut stupid or realy not clear in your head.Maybe Cocain??
    If I Merkel,I freeze the diplomatic relation to F....USA soon. Dont blame the Russian or Snowden,look in YOUR system.!!!

February 7, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Reply
    • steven harnack

Thankfully the leaders of countries are not so petty and vindictive about someone using a bad word to express frustration, in an unguarded moment, as you apparently think that they are or should be. And I really really doubt that anyone in Europe is as defensive about the EU as a few Americans seem to be. Get a grip!

February 7, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Reply
    • sly

Nothing says 'Stupid' like Peter Bruns:

"Peter Bruns
      Why yeu sayy dis?? NULAND,you are absolut stuped or raaly not clear in your head.Maybe Kocain??
      If I Meaarkel,I feeze the diplomatic elation to F....USA shoon. Dint blome the Russian or Snowden,look in YOUR system.!!!"

February 7, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  60. alex279

The recording was uploaded on YouTube on February 4 by an anonymous user named Maidan Puppets, and had been viewed more than 11,000 times as of Thursday... - The number is WAY OUTDATED: 533,509 as of mid-day Friday.

And why don not CNN provides the link for the ENTIRE 4 minute 10 second conversation for The American People to see? Why only 10-second passage? Judge it for yourself:

watch ? v = MSxaa-67yGM

February 7, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  61. Dan

I'm confused.. I thought the American government was for the people and by the people of the U.S. seems spying, bank bailouts, and other countries are more important. So is homeland security ! Total up all the money that the U.S. spent on these things and then figure up how much money they could have given to each household in the U.S. instead of giving it away to those who are causing the problems in the world ! Oh , that's right , its US, the people that are bad and are the problem ! Big government is way out of touch and way out of control and big corporations are money hungry power tripping sick people that will never be brought under control without total collapse. Its just the way of the world, and they are no way smart enough to see where we are headed very very soon. It will not fox itself and they won't fix it and people will not make a stand .. so enjoy your days , they are rapidly comming to an end as we now know them.

February 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Reply
  62. shallowHal

the nerve of those russians, listening in on our phone calls like that. the next thing you know they'll be listening in on the germans...and french...and ....

February 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  63. Joey

Ironic that the U.S complains about spying once it's done to them. It serves the imperial government right for sticking it's fist in the bee hive to anger the bee's so they will harm the bear. The United States wants to peel back Russian influence so bad that Russia will have no choice but to attack to defend itself from the vultures of the West and their overlords; the zionist banking cartels striving for their one world government. Russia is no saint either, but the West has become much worse in my opinion, nations who give lip service of democracy without the spirit of freedom and liberty needed to produce a healthy democracy. America is only an oligartic circus democracy where the end result will always represent the will of those who really rule the roost, it's a political bread and circus used as smoke and mirrors.

If you're a real American patriot, destroy both the democrats and republicans with democracy, restore freedom and liberty to the land! A democracy without freedom is not a democracy worth dying for, we must fight to restore the true freedom we have lost to these elites. The time has come for Americans to reclaim America!

February 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • alex279

spying is very minor aspect of what happened: it is almost like being charged with 3 counts of not stopping on stop signs, two count of running red lights, and one count of speeding of freeway after committing an armed bank robbery followed by shootout with police and several fatalities.

February 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Reply
    • Dan

Sounds good . Is that why we now have homeland security ? Is that why they purchased over 1.2 BILLION rounds of hollowpoint ammo ? Lol that's only the tip of what they are preparing for. They have done everything they can to oppress we the people. There will come a point where there will be a showdown. I just hope that good people do the right thing when the time comes.

February 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  64. billmelater1

Anyone with half a brain would know you where going to be wiretapped in the Ukraine by the Russians. But then again Obama only selects people that are dumber than him and that is not saying much.

February 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  65. Mel Stricker

I don't care that the call was leaked. What is happening in the Ukraine is terrible and all the EU can do is nothing. This exactly what happened during the breakup of Yugoslavia when there were many wars for independence there including the genocide of the Muslim population by the Serbians. What did the EU do? Nothing until it was shamed by the US and forced to take action. Without the US the EU cannot even take care of what is going on in their own backyard.

February 7, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • JRRTolkien

Sorry that Europe is not like the US, first bomb the sh.. out of everything and then wonder why it´s worse now.

February 7, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  66. joe

Ever hear of spy versus spy? let Snowden do in Russia what he did in the US and all issues solved. And how did Russia know this by spying maybe? give it a rest already if your too young and naïve to know how the world works well learn..

February 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Reply
  67. Carol

why has she not stepped down yet? Who will take her cowboy diplomacy seriously? Pity her parents spent so much money on her education and this is the way she talks.

February 7, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Reply
    • Reality Check

You are joking, right?

February 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  68. Marcus

The entire world is ready for Obama to leave office. Every foreign policy he has implemented has been a catastrophe.
    Europeans want the USA to be more Conservative economically as they are also moving right.
    The Middle East wants a Person of the Book to be in charge, not a cross dresser, and definitely not a lesbian.

February 7, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Reply
    • sly

Yup – President Obama didn't waste $5 TRILLION chasing Bin Laden in Iraq.

Instead – our President
      -killed America's #1 enemy.
      -Negotiated the end of Chemical Genocide (againest the GOP wishes) in Syria.
      -Prevented ALL foreign terrorist attacks on our soil.
      -Overthrew lil' Hitler in Libya.

No new war with President Obama at the helm, or with President Clinton coming on.

Obama is the best US President since JFK.

February 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Reply
      • al pall

-killed America's #1 enemy.
        a political stunt to help his reelection, and tossed the 'evidence' in the ocean

-Negotiated the end of Chemical Genocide (againest the GOP wishes) in Syria.
        You mean stopped the terrorists that we funded from continuing gas attacks?

-Prevented ALL foreign terrorist attacks on our soil.
        Including Boston, Aurora and Sandy Hook.

-Overthrew lil' Hitler in Libya.
        You mean the dictator who was scheduled to speak at West Point before we sent in overpriced RC planes to destabalize a nation? Sure, exactly like the lil Hitler we supported and back stabbed in Iraq.

You're deluded
        Obama is the best US President since JFK.
        If Obama was a good president, the establishment would of already assassinated him as well.

February 7, 2014 at 2:22 pm |
      • sly

al pall ... you sound more cynical than me!

However, killing Osama Bin Laden was actually rather important to Americans – I don't think overthrowing Hitler was a 'political stunt' either.

And I rather happy that Obama forced Russia and Syria to disarm the largest Chemical Weapons stache in the world.

And yes, we have not had any foreign terrorist attacks in America. True – the right wing TeaBillies have gone wild with domestic bombings ... so we have a lot more work to do.

President Obama is not my favorite candidate – I am much too liberal to accept a middle-of-the-road President, but he is the best in 50 years.

February 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm |
    • Reality Check

Quick, name three policies.

February 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  69. Immortal

I am from Europe and supporter of EU idea , I have fought with US soldiers arm by arm for the last 10 years ( lost couple friends from my country in Afghanistan and Iraq), but after this expression made by this woman .....no more.....I don't know where is the border between arrogance and stupidit.y but she definitely insulted 500 million people and some of them will loose sympathy for US forever...

February 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Reply
    • Peter Bruns

F......America,Nuland

February 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Reply
    • Anjinjay

Really? You've fought with US soldiers and were fine for 10 years and one F-bomb by a diplomat and you're done? Sounds like you weren't that close with your brothers in arms.

Also, I'm sure this goes on ALL the time by both sides. You're just mad because you're hearing about it. Calm the F%$& down.

Oh crap, Iust dropped the F-bomb

February 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Reply
      • marcel

Why should we be close to a country that starts wars with the wrong countries and the eu has to clean up the mess.
        most of us where forced to fight with US soldiers or navy becouse our respective countrys are alied with the united states but that going to change verry soon.

February 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm |
    • Alex279

And what did you forget in Afghanistan?

Seriosly: US goal was to get Bin Laden. Bin Lanen hismelf, Taliban, and alQaedda are all US foreign policy creations. Yes, INCLUDING alQaeda. US openly supported mojaheddin fighting against Soviet Union, who later formed Taliban, and US wasned some monetary support from rich iol Gulf countries - Saudy Arabia, Yemen, Qatar, etc... So they contributed some money and voluntreers and with volunteers come the ideas of "purified" Wahhabism, this is how alQuaeda was created. When these people were fighting Soviet Union in Afghanistan and later Russia in Chechnya this was all right - enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? This was Charlie Wilson's War. Honorable Zbignew Brzezinsky also has some ideas. Then in backfired: the mad stray dog Bin Laden went hiwire. First in 1998 - Kenia Tanzania bombing. Also Khobar Towers bombing before that (not clear how he was personally involved in that one) but the bombers were carrying exactly the same ideas. This is called Geopolitics. It is what is known as Burden of White Man. Exactly how Rydyard Kipling defined it. If there is some squabble somewhere in the world White Man must get involved and pick a side. Now it is victoria Nuland with her idead about midwifing (in her own words). They never get tired. They start it. They screw it up. And they start it again. And again. Just another gimmick. Different countries. Different people. Same sh.....t!

And you live in a comfortable small European country where guns are used exclussively by police and statistically 90% of gun related deaths are police suisides due to boredom. What did you forget in Afghanistan?

February 7, 2014 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  70. sly

It's fun reading comments about international diplomacy from Americans who think South Africa is a continent.

Republicans all over America can "see Russia from their front porch" ... which is why they are such experts.

Hey GOP Buffoons – why don't you waste another $5 TRILLION hunting Bin Laden in Iraq. Ooops, I forgot, President Obama already killed our #1 enemy – for a little over $3 million, and in Pakistan. Dunces.

February 7, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  71. cheekyindian

We spied on their spies and we got to know that they spied on us. Yup!!!

February 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  72. USGOVIDIOT

F...k the biggest team of i.d.i.o.t.s on the world ..US Government....this old ugly s.t.u.p.i.d woman is...

February 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • Reality Check

This was leak because Russians who never swear or meddle in the affairs of others, and definitely never spy on diplomats know how stupid Americans are and how they will react if they hear how the world really operates. They know Americans are a bunch of false Puritans unable to unify over anything except for their hatred of the "other" party

February 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  73. Sara

Russia obviously has better recording equipment than us if they can hear both sides of a private phone call without tapping the phone - oh wait. We all tap each other's phones. That's right. Now I understand.

February 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Reply
  74. Jamie Estevez

Who cares what the diplomat said about the EU. The US and EU are both part of the Western neo-Imperialist drive into the former Soviet Union. What's important about this tape is that it shows US State Department officials deciding who they want in a post Yanukovych government which proves US and EU meddling in Ukraine. It means the protests in Kiev are orchestrated by the West. That's what it means. The Yanukovych government in Ukraine and Russians are 100% right.

February 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  75. StormySyndrome

There is nothing secret, nor sacred these days. There is literally almost nothing one can do, say, feel, touch, or hear, without someone else knowing about it. What once used to be a persons right to privacy and to stay off of cameras, has turned into a free for all in human tracking.

February 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  76. marcel

Maybe the EU should just F*** the USA by boycoting ,
    or maybe canceling all treatys .

Perhaps some millitary presure no more acces through the strait of gibraltar blockading the suez no more miltairy imports or exports .

Using all the european agencies to make all of your secrets public.

what wil the united states do then ? there is nothing they can do about it .

February 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Reply
    • StormySyndrome

Why would they do that??? There was nothing in the article that even suggested that would be something either side would even think about at this time. Wow....

February 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Reply
    • Eric

You do realize that the US spends more than every other country combined on its military and easily has the most powerful navy in the world, right? If the US wants through the straight, it will get through the straight. Like it or not, the EU needs the US a lot more than the US needs it.

February 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Reply
      • marcel

Let me see outdated ships not having the capability to detect diesel electric subs
        europe has radars that detect stealt bombers and fighters as early as 1994 .

the atlantic is a poor place for aircraft cariers. easy to find and easy to sink unlike islands who dont sink .

big batle fleets are an easy target 1 ship alone can take out multiple ships with the los of only ship in return one espacialy high speed stealth patrol vessels armed with the same fire power as an heavy frigate do cripling damage to any fleet.

europe has also the advantage of mixed weaponsystems we know their weaknesses and strengths.

and is your country ready for cuicidal atacks heavy losses we are europe was born in brutal conflicts with heavy los of life are you.

February 7, 2014 at 2:54 pm |
    • Admril

Cancel all you like. see if we care. face it, the EU need the US more than we ever need them. with that crappy economy you can't afford to boycott anything or fight anyone. That f_#K you may turn out into you getting F_xK up for real....real ass whopping. we have twice shown you and the world what we can do (WW1 & WW2). So I sign off with A BIG F YOU.

February 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  77. AngelaD

Besides this coming across as very arrogant it also smells like possible voting fraud. But don't worry. The EU will never break up with the USA.

February 7, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  78. Sam

The U.S accusing anyone of spying is equivalent to Stalin accusing Hitler of Genocide. All the great powers of Earth are shrouded with Hypocrisy, the U.S is no different.

February 7, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  79. alex279

Or yeah we are in play! the Klitschko-piece is obviously a complicated elector here... Yats... Tiny Bock... - I listened the entire 4 minutes and 10 seconds and enjoyed every second of it! It was truly hilarious. This does not happen very often. Whoever leaked it – Thank You! You definitely stole headlines from Putin's Olympics.

watch ? v = MSxaa-67yGM

February 7, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  80. Brad

Who gives a f&%#.

February 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  81. Monomachos

And the Obama administration's reputation in Europe takes another hit.

February 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  82. 2L

It's irrelevant who leaked it, our govt officials should not be not be talking about our allies in such a disrespectful fashion. Let this be a lesson.

February 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  83. IdiotObama

F..ck Nuland this old poor u.g.l.y ...s..l..u..t !!!...and all i.d.i.o.t.s from this gov!!!

February 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  84. Ryan Rodriguez

It's time to take the gloves off with Russia. They are boxing us out everywhere. They are gaming us because we are being led by amateurs while they have old hat KGB types.
    1.) Russia is not our friend in fact they are an enemy
    2.) Russia is trying to counter the US on every global front
    3,) Russia is actively aiding enemy's of the US
    4.) Russia has restarted the cold war and has been doing so since Obama took office it is time to wake up and realize what is going on!!!
    5.) Putin is slowly but surely restoring the USSR out in the open and the best we can do is try to counter it in the shadows, it is time to get out in the public and start fighting back. We won the cold war because we acted out in the open and told the world why. This time we are the ones acting like Russia. Make your case America, expose Putin for what he is. Stop acting like a coward!!!!!

February 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Reply
    • cheryl

fighting back with what... 17 trillion dollars debt? oh boy you need to wake up and realize that nothing last forever.who should be concerned the most in the event in Ukraine? the neighbor which is Russia or america who is an intruder and impostor? you Americans stinks and lack sound sense of judgement..would america have welcome Russia meddling in the affairs of Canada or Mexico?

February 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Reply
    • Reddfrog

Difference now is, the world hates snd deeply distrusts the USA.

February 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Reply
      • Sara

Which is why people from other countries keep pouring across the U.S.borders.

February 7, 2014 at 1:31 pm |
    • alex279

It is US and specifically Victoria Nuland screw-up - what it has to do with Putin!

Too bad that Yanukovich is too corrupt by having too much money in his accounts in European banks. He does not have balls, as the result. Or, actually he does have balls, but somebody is holding him by them all the time - he is afraid of EU/US sanctions much more than loosing his power to the opposition in Maidan because he is afraid of loosing access to his bank accounts. If he would have balls like like Putin, this US ambassador, Geoffrey R. Pyatt, would be already flying back to Washington DC after been evicted from Ukraine.

February 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
    • Jay

Payback for US supporting Bin laden and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan, You deserve it, so quit whining.

February 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Reply
    • ES

Russia is not the US enemy, nor does it ally with US enemies.

February 7, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  85. IdiotObama

Fu...k USA !!! Greetings.

February 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  86. asdf

Yes Snowden has changed the game for the better. It used to be everyone always kept everything hush hush from the public but now that scab has come off. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

February 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • asdf

After all how many people have been tortured and killed by strongmen the US covertly put in charge over the years all done in our name to keep us safe?

February 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  87. asdf

Turnabout is fair play and all that. F__k the NSA.

February 7, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • asdf

But of course f__k Putin and Russia as well.

February 7, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Reply
      • George patton

Is that you again Phunnie boy, posting under the name of asdf? I see that you just posted under my name below.

February 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm |
  88. George patton

F*** Russian too.

February 7, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Reply
  89. Mark Peterson

Does Angela Merkel have an alibi for that time period?

February 7, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Reply
    • alex279

Initially US Dept. of State tried to brash it off saying "we are not commenting on unverified leaks" and that "authenticity of the tape cannot be confirmed", but it was specifically Angela Merkel saying that it is inappropriate what put the US State Dept. into the damage-control-apologising mode.

As far as who leaked it - or, who actually obtained/intercepted it - if it is Ukrainian SBU or Russian FSB I can only congratulated them for job well done, however I do not believe: Ukrainian SBU is too diss-functional, it oversleeps each an every "situation" in its own backyard back in Kiiv; Russia does not have direct access to any wiring and network outside of cooperation with Ukrainian SBU.

For Russia/Putin the timing is completely wrong: the conversation took place sometime around Friday January 24 (just AFTER Yanukovich offered Yats to became prime minister, and to Klitsch to became minister for humanitarian affairs, but before they rejected the offer - remember that both Yats and Klitsch were meddling how to respond for a couple days? - in reality the were in consultation about what to do with Jeff Pyatt who himself was in consultation with Nuland wo was in consultations with Biden, et al - it is THIS what explains the delay why Yats and Klitsch could not say any decisive "yes" or "no" on Maidan, no matter how hard the crowd was buzzing at them. - For Putin/Russia it would be advantageous to leak the tape right away during weekend of January 25-26 BEFORE Yanukovich made his concessions on Tuesday 27 during the emergency session of Ukrainian Parliament - this would give Yanukovich negotiating leverage and would effectively impeach Yats and Klitsch. Right now it is entertaining, but too late to change much on the ground: Azarov's Government already resigned as the result of concession by Yanukovich. This means only one thing: the tape was not available to Putin/Yanukovich immediately after the conversation took place. Which means only one thing: it was leaked a few days AFTER.

The bottom line is: Ищите Сноудена.

February 7, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  90. Some of You OMG

I see the insight into an opposition leader's leadership skill is very detailed and comprehensive. Like these people would have any idea whatsoever about the kinds of things that this person or that might do, or be capable of doing with the proper opportunity. What is obvious is that whoever is in power is making the problem worse, and as foreign interests start to get more involved, the more those issues will exacerbate. Their are advantages that can be taken during time of instability after all. Maybe the US should be a bit more concerned about their own standing, or falling as that seems to be the case as of late.

February 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Reply
    • alex279

And what do you see inside? Puppets are puppets stuffed with straw just to fill up empty volume.

February 7, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  91. whocares

OMG she used the F word who cares

February 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  92. Revelation of Statecraft?

I have up until now underestimated the importance Ukraine holds for Russia. But for the FSB or whomever to burn such an important resource as to reveal that US State Dept phones are compromised in Russia for something like this...wow.

February 7, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Reply
    • asdf

Russia has had a major hard on for Ukraine for centuries. Lot of history there. No surprise to me the Russians mean business. If anything the EU is really reaching on this one.

February 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  93. cb

When I get busted doing something stupid I always looktoblame the person who exposed me too. It's just how I was raised in the good old U.S.A.

February 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  94. vr13

I can't believe how aggressively the US is trying to meddle in other country's choices. We are basically trying to tell them who should be a country leader there. And the fact that the US diplomat uses a shortened nickname, almost like dog names for the potential leaders of that country, the Yatz, the Klitch, does not show we even have any respect for them. No wonder Russians are concerned that we try to stick our influence and they are doing things on their own.

February 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Reply
    • Luke327

I know, right? Vladimir Putin always refers to us respectfully, so I have to assume that in private he is even more polite!

February 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Reply
    • Sara

So naive. Please read your history.

February 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  95. OJ

If the Ukraine which is not a significant power get this much attention of us to make sure whoever runs the country is our friend, I can’t imagine the meddling in the Middle East affairs. It is no surprise no one is happy there. It was never their decision to make.

February 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Reply
  96. OldSchool

Keep naively supporting Snowden and Putin as though every country doesn't conduct this kind of surveillance and espionage...

February 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  97. sly

No way! You mean diplomats are allowed to curse?

I think all diplomats who do not use proper grammer should be fired.

February 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Reply
    • MeMelvin

I deduce that you are acquainted with the classic definition of a diplomat?

"Someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip."

February 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  98. John

At least when gorbachev and Yeltsin both led Russia the world liked the Russians. Now we just see Rusians as idiots who don't even realize that Putin has taken control of their country and installs pupets between his presidential terms. Putin is a jerk and an egomaniac. I can't stand him and I think the Russian people are fools to fall for his nonsense.

February 7, 2014 at 11:57 am | Reply
    • cheryl

John,
      i wish you could be objective in criticizing.i must believe that you either living in stone age or rather to say you are ignoring the rise of Russia and the fall of USA.America is more worse than Russia as it is now democratically,socially ,technological,econimically and militarily...you are such a fool and should rather be celebrating the like of Putin than you big for nothing country and country being controlled by a country Isreal that is not up to the size of state of Maine...shame on you!

February 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  99. MeMelvin

Haven't we heard, read and seen the "f" word enough in all its variations (F-bomb, friggin', f***, famous four letters, flip the bird, emoticons) that its "shock value" is greatly diminished? And its use stupid rather than emphatic? It's still with us.

The point being that those few citizens who still rant and rave about how offended they are when they encountered it are living in a fantasy linguistic world.

People of all origins have been "cursing" for thousands of years. And one of the main curses/insults/emphasis has always been the reference to "the physical act of procreation". To those silly persons I say: "Get over it or get procreated!"

February 7, 2014 at 11:47 am | Reply
    • wjshelton

"Get over it or get procreated!"

Nice. My sentiments exactly.

February 7, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Reply