Judge: NSA domestic phone data-mining unconstitutional
December 16th, 2013

Judge: NSA domestic phone data-mining unconstitutional

CNN's Bill Mears and Evan Perez

A federal judge said Monday that he believes the government's once-secret collection of domestic phone records is unconstitutional, setting up likely appeals and further challenges to the data mining revealed by classified leaker Edward Snowden.

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon said the National Security Agency's bulk collection of metadata - phone records of the time and numbers called without any disclosure of content - apparently violates privacy rights.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: NSA
  1. Tyron Suehs

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 10:29 pm | Reply
  2. Del Westmeyer

I don't know about you people but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/get-your-airline-podcast-fill-with-airplane-geeks/

June 14, 2021 at 12:12 am | Reply
  3. Hisako Grossetete

I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/06/fun-with-airline-advertisements/

June 13, 2021 at 8:13 am | Reply
  4. Samatha Greenhouse

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/11/exploring-the-future-of-flight/

June 13, 2021 at 4:44 am | Reply
  5. Kurt Kamensky

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  6. Vertie Matthys

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 9, 2021 at 3:37 am | Reply
  7. Bert Forslund

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 7:42 am | Reply
  8. Mildred Formato

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 6, 2021 at 3:23 am | Reply
  9. Reyes Gregson

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 5:31 am | Reply
  10. Raleigh Kaan

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 7:23 am | Reply
  11. vipin

I am going through this post and thinking of it’s theme and trying to understand what is this post about. At last I can have found something from this post which feels pretty good.

February 11, 2014 at 6:12 am | Reply
  12. JNunley

Remember the position of Van Jones and Cup in today's Crossfire episode (Ruth Marcus and Bill Kristol). If CNN deviates from this position, please send me an email. Quote and post all official mainstream media positions for all popular issues on December 18th – 20th. Hold the media accountable.

December 19, 2013 at 6:11 am | Reply
  13. usxpatriate

Just when you thought there were safe computing options. Stand alone computers are no longer safe from hacking.

December 19, 2013 at 5:55 am | Reply
  14. California

Angela Merkel, with Germany's finance minister Wolfgang Schaeuble, was enraged at hearing the NSA tapped her personal mobile. Photograph: Sean Gallup/Getty Images

In an angry exchange with Barack Obama, Angela Merkel has compared the snooping practices of the US with those of the Stasi, the ubiquitous and all-powerful secret police of the communist dictatorship in East Germany, where she grew up.

December 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • CharlieSeattle

I agree.

N Nazi
      S Surveillance
      A Agency

February 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  15. jerry

great ruling....now this is a start. Lets return government to the people. We don't elect Kings here in America.

December 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Reply
  16. Ljhfdgy Utrfyuy

What about the Truth...

December 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  17. Mcshannon

My first emotion when learning that all USA communications were recorded and stored was like many Americans a temporary outrage. Then when some common sense thinking arrived my mentality on the subject changed to they have to do what they have to do to protect Americans and this is part of vigilance, an edge that we have over terrorist. Let's not throw it away over politics.

December 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • George patton

Thank you, Mcshannon. Spoken like another lame brained, uneducated, right-wing Tea Partier. Are you one by some chance? You sound that way!

December 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • keçee

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

December 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Reply
  18. Ljhfdgy Utrfyuy

The U.S. is a Colony of China...

December 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  19. Portland tony

Any first year law student can probably tell you the NSA intrusion into the lives of Americans is a violation of the 4th Amendment. The question is: Does the NSA act in the USA's interest or "greater good" and if so does the greater good prevail?

December 16, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  20. Random

Obama dropped the ball on snowden. If you can plug the leak giving him amnesty do it. Clearly you cant stop him anyother way. Do what it takes to stop it.

December 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Reply
    • keçee

Any fool can criticize, condemn & complain – and most fools do. -B. Franklin

December 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Reply
  21. John Smith

America is the root of all terror. America has invaded sixty countries since world war 2.
    In 1953 America overthrow Iran's democratic government Mohammad Mosaddegh and installed a brutal dictator Shah. America helped Shah of Iran to establish secret police and killed thousands of Iranian people.
    During Iran-Iraq war evil America supported Suddam Hossain and killed millions of Iranian people. In 1989, America, is the only country ever, shot down Iran's civilian air plane, killing 290 people.
    In 2003,America invaded Iraq and killed 1,000,000+ innocent Iraqi people and 4,000,000+ Iraqi people were displaced.
    Now America is a failed state with huge debt. Its debt will be 22 trillion by 2015.

December 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Reply
  22. delta_amt

A Judge with bwalls, forgive me for putting it that way, but it is true! May his every step be protected and forthcoming decisions protect our rights.

December 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Reply
    • General Sherman

I totally agree, delta_amt. This Judge Richard Leon did the exact right thing here. This time, the right-wingers in Washington didn't get their way and that's great!

December 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  23. USAPeasant

Whoa our justice system is starting to work again, awesome. Next time their is a vacancy on the Supreme Court this judge should get the nomination.

December 16, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Reply
    • ricco

Never happen, he's a conservative.

December 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Reply
    • CharlieSeattle

December 17, 2013 at 11:42 am | Reply
  24. George patton

I just want to thank Judge Richard Leon here for his just ruling in this case. Good job, Judge!

December 16, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Reply