Gates says defense secretary role was his life's 'highest calling'
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta (right) and his predecessor Robert Gates share a laugh during the unveiling ceremony.
October 29th, 2012

Gates says defense secretary role was his life's 'highest calling'

By Jennifer Rizzo

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates evoked laughter during the unveiling of his official portrait Monday, but said his time heading up the military was the most important job in a long career in Washington.

“As America's Secretary of Defense during two wars was the singular honor and highest calling of my professional life,” Gates said at the Pentagon

Sending troops to war weighed on him every day, he said, so much so that he worried his devotion to protect them was clouding his judgment.

“Towards the end of my time in office, I could barely speak to the troops or about them without becoming over, without being overcome with emotion,” Gates said.

These feelings he says played a role in his decision to retire.

Gates began his role as Defense Secretary in 2006 under President George W. Bush. When President Barack Obama was elected in 2008 Gates stayed on in his role, despite plans of retiring—something he jokingly said he had current Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to thank for.

“Right after the 2008 election, Leon Panetta wrote an op-ed suggesting President Elect Obama retain me as Secretary of Defense,” Gates said. “So, when President Obama asked who might succeed me, I returned the favor to Leon. An act of selfless generosity on my part, for which I'm sure he thanks me every single day.”

Panetta introduced Gates at the unveiling with stories about the time the two have spent together and singled out work they did in Iraq in 2006.

“Every meeting we held, we drank tea after tea after tea after tea, and finally Bob and I looked at each other, and he hustled me off to the CIA headquarters and bar. And we finally had a decent drink,” Panetta said. “That's when I knew that Bob was really my kind of guy.”

Paying tribute to Gates, Panetta spoke about the difficulties the former Defense Secretary encountered with getting the troops equipment they needed- like MRAPS, an armored vehicle which helps protect troops from IED explosions.

“He was told that they couldn't be produced fast enough. He told them that wasn't good enough. And the MRAPS needed to be delivered, and needed to be delivered as quickly as possible,” Panetta said. “And they were.”

Panetta also credited Gates with speeding up medical evacuation times in Afghanistan, cutting response times from one hour and 40 minutes to 41 minutes.

“Again, saving lives,” he said.

Mega-storm Hurricane Sandy did not deter those from attending the event.

“It's not every day you have to brave a hurricane in order to come to a portrait unveiling,” Panetta said. “But then again, for those of us who've been in this job, it's like dealing with a hurricane every day, so we're used to it.”

Post by:
Filed under: Gates • Military • Panetta • Panetta • Pentagon • Secretary of Defense
  1. stornobrzinol

Good info. Lucky me I reach on your website by accident, I bookmarked it.

May 15, 2021 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  2. ngành chăm sóc thú cưng

A large percentage of of whatever you point out is astonishingly legitimate and that makes me ponder the reason why I had not looked at this in this light before. This particular article really did switch the light on for me personally as far as this particular topic goes. But there is one position I am not too comfortable with so whilst I make an effort to reconcile that with the actual central theme of the position, allow me see just what all the rest of your visitors have to point out.Nicely done.

March 27, 2021 at 2:52 am | Reply
  3. zortilo nrel

I adore examining and I think this website got some really useful stuff on it! .

March 21, 2021 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  4. https://europa-road.eu/

Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very difficult to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say you've done a awesome job with this. In addition, the blog loads very fast for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!

February 9, 2021 at 3:17 am | Reply
  5. frolep rotrem

Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity to your publish is simply nice and that i could think you're an expert on this subject. Well along with your permission let me to seize your feed to keep up to date with impending post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

February 6, 2021 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  6. helenecha

Interesting! I found myself having seen the movie again, which is a modern masterpiece the ‘life is beautiful' of 3 academy awards winner many years ago.

Look, did anyone else find that the decisions of a complete withdrawal of U.S. troops from the battlefields were the big mistakes?

October 31, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Reply
  7. MC

Gates was a good man. On the other extreme, has anyone taken a wiz on Rumsfeld's portrait yet? Someone should.

October 31, 2012 at 12:16 am | Reply
  8. saeed

russia should nuke ireland nuke belfast and dublin burn down every kindergarten.

October 30, 2012 at 6:41 am | Reply
    • Towel Head Alert System

Warning!..........Warning!...........Warning! Towel Head Detected!!!!!!!!!!!

October 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Reply
  9. boom boo bear

no chunks allowed in this discussion.

October 30, 2012 at 6:10 am | Reply
  10. chizzlin sam

yes the world is still dealing with the awful 8 year hurricane named bush...can you picture these imperialists sitting around having tea discussing their troubles and how big their portraits should be...he recommended me so i recommended him–just the way the bush-cia inbreds always do things...positively backslappingly disgusting.

October 30, 2012 at 5:00 am | Reply
  11. helenecha

Interesting! I found myself having seen the movie again, which is a modern masterpiece 'the life is beautiful' of 3 academy awards winner many years ago.

October 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Reply