Interim missile defense shield now in place to protect Europe, NATO chief says
Missile interceptors will be loaded on a U.S. warship in the Mediterranean, as part of the NATO plan.
May 21st, 2012

Interim missile defense shield now in place to protect Europe, NATO chief says

Editor's note: Read all of Security Clearance's coverage of the 2012 NATO summit in Chicago.  Follow our reporting and other key NATO tweets with our NATO summit Twitter list.

By the CNN Wire Staff

NATO's chief says the alliance now has interim ballistic missile defense capability in Europe, a move that is likely to further heighten tensions with Russia over its objection to a missile defense shield.

"It is the first step towards our long-term goal of providing full coverage and protection for all NATO European populations, territory and forces," Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told reporters Sunday, the first day of a two-day NATO summit in Chicago.

Among the so-called interim capabilities are missile interceptors loaded on a U.S. ship in the Mediterranean, the first of four anticipated warships with the defense system, Rasmussen said. A defense radar is also operational in Turkey, he said.

NATO has asked Russia to participate in the system but negotiations have been deadlocked over Russia's demand for a legally binding treaty guaranteeing the shield would not be used as a deterrent to Moscow's own systems.

Read the full CNN.com story here.

Post by:
Filed under: Chicago NATO summit 2012 • Europe • NATO • Rasmussen
  1. Nelida Scifres

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 7:35 am | Reply
  2. Trinh Northum

I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/photos-first-look-at-allegiants-new-livery-on-an-md-82/

June 13, 2021 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  3. Alan Tysinger

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  4. Britany Gollin

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 11, 2021 at 8:06 am | Reply
  5. Xavier Speagle

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  6. Juliana Lapiana

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 6:38 am | Reply
  7. Cherelle Sigley

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 4, 2021 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  8. Blake Pinkleton

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 8:10 am | Reply
  9. linemarking melbourne

i like NATO i have some more pictures of this on my website.

linemarking melbourne | line marking melbourne

January 7, 2014 at 2:10 am | Reply
  10. cctv surabaya

I ran into this page accidentally, surprisingly, this is a wonderful website. The site owner has carried out a superb job of putting it together, the info here is really insightful. Now I am going to bookmark this internet site so that I can revisit in the future. cctv camera di surabaya

June 15, 2012 at 4:27 am | Reply
  11. thelastindependent

Well, tell Russia go f*#k themselves. It's a missile SHIELD! It's defensive. It can't attack you. You can build your own if you want, we not going stop you, you piece of s#@t. Why would they worry about it unless you were planning to attack us...ohhh! Oh, I got it now. Well, I hate to tell this, but you lost the Cold War, if you have forgot. But hey, round 2, let's go.

May 23, 2012 at 11:30 am | Reply
  12. Parker

I wish Russia would realize that the world is moving forward with or without them. Russia can't move forward until it forfeits the obscured, secret desire to restore its empire. This is one of the few times I've seen American foreign policy stand on the logical, rational side of the isle. The missile defense shield is for protection. Russia says it threatens their sovereignty. Sovereignty of exactly what? The right to be the isolated backwards lid of Eurasia that uses fear and paranoia as its sole means of interaction with it's neighbors? That isn't very sovereign. It's these attitudes that prevented a more or less consensual Soviet Union across all of Eurasia. They have no people skills and the "I CRUSH YOU!" attitude isn't perfectly adaptable in today's global community.

May 21, 2012 at 10:31 am | Reply
  13. krolus

russia has claimed to have u.s. radar evading missles?so whats the prob commrades

May 21, 2012 at 8:54 am | Reply