A 12th military member has been linked to the Cartagena misconduct, a Department of Defense official tells Barbara Starr. A military member working with the White House Communications Agency has admitted to his leadership that he was involved in misconduct "of some kind," the official said.
Those being investigated for allegedly purchasing the services of prostitutes or other misconduct while in Colombia to help with presidential security, have had their security clearances revoked, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said Monday.
Panetta spoke to reporters en route to Colombia where he is headed for meetings about military cooperation in his first trip to South America as defense secretary.
"My biggest concern is the issue of security and what could possibly have been jeopardized by virtue of this kind of behavior," Panetta told reporters. "That’s a key concern for me and I’m hoping that our investigators will be able to give us a full report on that."
The officer investigating U.S. military misconduct in Colombia is back in the United States from Cartagena and will start interviewing military personnel this week, a U.S. official said. The investigating officer will travel to each of the home bases of those involved to question them, according to the DoD official. Those being questioned are from bases in San Diego, Charleston and Florida, according to information released last week by the U.S. Southern Command.