February 10th, 2012

Danger of destroying the U.S.-Egypt alliance

The traditional U.S.-Egypt partnership is in danger of shredding, Ben Wedeman reports from Cairo. The cartoons in a state-run Cairo paper set the tone, a nasty looking Uncle Sam spying on Egypt but wielding the pistol of aid is confronted by an Egyptian cannon. The caption read 'dignity.'

In this land where national pride is a national obsession, the criminal charges brought against 43 staff members at US and European non-governmental organizations, including 19 Americans, threaten to shake the decades-old ties between Egypt and the United States.

Watch Ben's report above.

Post by:
Filed under: Egypt • Hot Spot Dispatch • Middle East • NGO
  1. Die for my portfolio, sucker

Interesting picture. Looks like a glory hole for Uncle Sam.

February 13, 2012 at 12:22 am | Reply
  2. helenecha

Oops! Good luck to U.S.-Egypt alliance!

February 12, 2012 at 12:14 am | Reply
  3. mipolitic

i can think of four reasons, 1 putin , 2 suez , 3 israel gaza egypt stability , 4 corrupt influences from terror groups

February 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  4. DOWNLOAD MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE PLEASE NOTE: U MUST BE 18

dont pray the americans succed in such treat, cos it wnt be funny at all hehehe

February 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  5. Voice of Reason

Yep, blame the rest of the world because your military is despotic, because it's all our fault they can't stop killing eachother

February 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  6. 4commonsensenow

Seems to me the Roman Empire actually accumulated as they went, to thier demise. So to me, I ask, What is the point of making orphans outta us in order to fight thier battles, when they basically hate us anyhow. I mean , if it was my best friend out there Id understand. People seem to make great efforts to get along where I am. The ones that fall short, always help available to a degree. So again I ask, why is this my problem. To use children to plea your case of choosing violence in the first place, does not weigh well with me.

February 10, 2012 at 11:54 am | Reply