Clinton: U.S. in discussions on Taliban office in Qatar
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton speaks with reporters Wednesday with Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani
January 11th, 2012

Clinton: U.S. in discussions on Taliban office in Qatar

By Elise Labott

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday acknowledged discussions about opening up a Taliban office in Qatar, and transferring some Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as part of the U.S. support for Afghan reconciliation efforts.

"Nothing has been concluded," Clinton said at a press conference with Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani. "We are still in the preliminary stages of testing whether this can be successful."

Clinton said she's sending Marc Grossman, the State Department's special representative for the region, to Afghanistan and Qatar next week to work on the details.

Clinton said positive statements made last week from both the Taliban and Afghan President Hamid Karzai suggest "there is support for such discussions, for the (Taliban) political office to open in Qatar." She said the U.S. government was "very grateful for the assistance that the government of Qatar has provided."

The Taliban announced last week that it planned to set up a political office in Qatar's capital city, Doha, to facilitate talks on the Afghan conflict, a move seen as a first step to peace talks with Washington.

It appears to be the first time the Taliban - who ruled Afghanistan from 1996 until 2001, when they were ousted in a U.S.-led invasion - have offered talks without the condition of an American withdrawal from the country.

"Afghanistan, to save the country from war, conspiracies, the killing of innocent Afghans and to reach peace, agrees with the talks between United States of America and Taliban that will end up in establishing an office for Taliban in Qatar," Karzai said in a palace statement.

U.S. officials have said the Taliban has demanded in exchange the United States release Taliban prisoners from Guantanamo Bay.

"We have not made any decisions about releasing any Taliban from Guantanamo," Clinton said when asked about a deal.

But she said the United States did support Afghan-led reconciliation talks provided the Taliban renounces violence, breaks with al Qaeda and support the Afghan constitution, which protects the rights of women and minorities.

"I made it clear to President Karzai that we will work with him, under his leadership," Clinton said.

1. Lizeth Lanteigne

This page certainly has all of the information and facts I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask. |

October 24, 2016 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  2. Güvenlik Sistemleri

This excellent website definitely has all the information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

July 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  3. Pharmd676

Hello! abdbcee interesting abdbcee site! I'm really like it! Very, very abdbcee good!

July 6, 2012 at 1:06 am | Reply
  4. Pharme357

Hello! acdaddg interesting acdaddg site! I'm really like it! Very, very acdaddg good!

July 6, 2012 at 1:01 am | Reply
  5. Pharmd420

Hello! ffbdcgd interesting ffbdcgd site! I'm really like it! Very, very ffbdcgd good!

June 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  6. Pharmb372

Hello! gkdacec interesting gkdacec site! I'm really like it! Very, very gkdacec good!

June 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  7. logistics consulting

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this site needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the info!

May 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Reply
  8. chlamydia symptoms

I've found the article very interesting and educating. although, I don't agree with everything about the main issue.

April 21, 2012 at 7:06 am | Reply
  9. Bill Nieporte

Bill Nieporte here. I notice your connection to members of the Nieporte clan. I grew up with a step-father and have had little connection with Nieprotes and have never met my biological father. Anyways, trying to build connections and I invite you to visit my blog.

April 4, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Reply
  10. Pastor Bill Nieporte

If you recieved an odd post from me earlier, I apologize. I was having PC "issues." I am a pastor and my ministerial blog is http://www.nieporte.name – I am a real person, not a machine – and I have been interested in all things theological. Our church is struggling, like most in this pluralistic/post-church era, to make a difference. One area whenre we are seeking to make a connection is on the itnernet via our church site and ministerial blog. We are looking for ways to make a local connection, have global impact, and become sel-sufficient in the process. That is what put me on a search that landed me on your site. have enjoyed reading your posts. My request is for a linkback to my blog; a candid review of my site's strengths and weaknesses, and any pluging/themes/or strategies to enjoy the success you seem to be experiencing. Of course, I will be happy to provide a linkback to your site as well. My best email is billnieporte@pastor.com – I monitor it daily.

March 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Reply
  11. Pastor Bill Nieporte

Also, if you have suggestions on how to make such a ministry self-sufficient, that would be great. The cost of being online is steep as you know. I have many older folks in the congregation who do not understand the internet and think is a waste of time. If it paid for itself – or even turned a profit – that would set their minds at ease. But you have to be careful not to get connected to anything that seems unethical.

March 8, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply
  12. Pastor Bill Nieporte

Hello Pastor/Clergy – My name is Bill Nieporte, a pastor in Richmond, VA. I hve been searching the web for website/blogs similar to my own clergy blog. I am looking to exchange articles, essays, sermons, studies, and links. I would love it if you could take a visit to http://nieporte.name and get back with me to exchange backlinks. Feel free to included links to any info on my site. And if you have a blog post you think would be good for your site, please send me the link at billnieporte@pastor.com. I am a real person- with a real site.

March 6, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Reply
  13. Specialty Fulfillment

We have a conveniently located 50,000 square foot warehouse in Virginia for your logistics needs that include picking and packing, fulfillment, warehousing, secure warehousing, specialty warehousing and specialty fulfillment at http://www.ezfulfill.com/

February 8, 2012 at 10:37 am | Reply
  14. Essetsacculty

Medicine Bow National Forest Wilderness , http://bowlsplitz.net/ – zithromax medication Zithromax can also be used successfully in the treatment of venereal diseases such as nongonococcal urethritis, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and cervicitis as well as others as determined by the treating doctor. http://bowlsplitz.net/ – buy azithromycin online

January 30, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  15. Geteestip

Drywall Medicine Hat , http://www.honeypothack.com/ – buy finasteride online Men who are serious about their new hair growth will certainly not have a problem continuing to take this medication. http://www.honeypothack.com/ – finasteride online pharmacy

January 30, 2012 at 7:49 am | Reply
  16. moolibouddy

Opportunities In Integrative Medicine , http://www.honeypothack.com/ – generic propecia online In clinical trials, Propecia has been found to be very effective in the treatment of male pattern baldness. http://www.honeypothack.com/ – buy finasteride

January 28, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Reply
  17. Socrates

I think the US should acknowledges publicly the defeat in Afghanistan. Also in Irak Mission was Accomplished to transfer the power from the American Sheriff, Saddam Hussein to the Muslims. Billions of dollars expended plus thousands of casualties. These people who become president in the US should past an "intelligence test" before they are allow to even try to be elected. They don't make any sense. Pretty much like the Roman emperors.

January 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  18. brown

This is simply a masked fulfillment of one of the articles of surrender imposed upon
    the U.S.A by theTaliban victory in Afghanistan.

January 12, 2012 at 12:22 am | Reply
  19. Angel Mary

Thank you Hillary for your hard work. Its another step towards peace and freedom. I do however believe that no one deserves solitary. Maybe a transition to a group prison back in Qatar monitored by an independent party for a while could work. Alot has changed. "No terrorism freedom".

January 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Reply