Panetta concerned but confident about US row with Pakistan
US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta speaks to reporters during his most recent overseas trip. (Getty Images)
December 12th, 2011

Panetta concerned but confident about US row with Pakistan

By CNN Pentagon Producer Larry Shaughnessy

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta mastered the obvious Monday when speaking about the current state of U.S. relations with Pakistan in the wake of a cross-border shooting that Pakistan said left 24 of its soldiers dead. "What took place has complicated that relationship," Panetta said to reporters at the start of his latest overseas trip.

The major complication has been Pakistan closing down the supply routes the U.S. military uses to carry everything from food to fuel to troops in Afghanistan.

Panetta said Monday, "We feel pretty confident that our troops have the supplies they need to continue their operations in Afghanistan. And our command structure has done an incredible job ensuring that one way or another we are able to get those supplies in."

But even though Panetta said the route closures haven't hurt the U.S. mission in Afghanistan yet, that doesn't mean he isn't worried.

"We are concerned about the closure of the routes through Pakistan," Panetta said.

He did say he hoped the situation wouldn't be permanent.

"We continue to work with them to see if we can get those re-opened as soon possible. I am confident that that will happen. I can't tell you when, but I remain confident that at some point we're going to be able to restore our normal supply routes."

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Pakistan • Panetta • Pentagon • Secretary of Defense
  1. PETER SAMEJA

DEAR SIRS I am surprised that this site is allowing the perfanities such as mentioned by the above comments lets see were the Americans stand without prejudiced opinion the USA is built-up on taking away land wealth from others remember the Indians.

middle east oil

now they want central Asian gas and oil but the only way it will be if PAKISTAN AGREES why do you thing they spend trillions in Pakistan oh ye you..... INDIA Stop telling the west about whose friend you are remember the cold war forget that GANDHI TOLD MOUNTBATTEN .....NO HINDU,S WILL FIGHT FOR YOU IN 2ND WORLD WAR IT WAS PAKISTANIS FOUNDER WHO COMMITTED THE INDIAN MUSLIM/SIKH ARMY TO FIGHT JAPANESE AND GERMANS ......wait japan and Germany they not your FOEs any-more why .BUT ALLIES IN AFGANISTAN WERE THERES BUCK THERES MUCK AND ALL THAT GOES WITH IT ..

TRUTH IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WHY USA IS IN PAKISTAN YOU ARE EITHER STUPID OR THICK AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11

AS FOR anti semetic anti islam or anti christian if they are terrorist by having there views and SO ARE YOU ?

December 14, 2011 at 4:58 am | Reply
  2. SHJAFFRI

2ND Airborne Pilot you are the example of extreme NAZI / HITLER. You are no different than those folks.

USA has a lost a friend PAKISTAN who have lost over 29,000 people in name of war against terror, while you guys sitting on your A** watching Simsons.

I wish you people like you should visit whole world and see what people think about you guys, people like you are making bad name to great nation USA who had been know for great leaders like Ibrahim Linchon, and George Washington.

December 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Reply
    • 2ND Airborne Pilot

Are You a terrorist ? If my CO orders me, I will skullfuck You with my M4. How about that BITCH ?????

December 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Reply
  3. Jason

Its really difficult to believe that we have such genocidal-provoking US citizens among us. These comments don't reflect the opinions of anyone I know, and to be clear, I associate with all different ages, classes, and civilian statuses from all over the country.

December 13, 2011 at 8:10 am | Reply
  4. 2ND Airborne Pilot

I also want to drop my bombs. It would be my pleasure to create a lot of orphan fucks. God Bless the USA ! FUCK ISLAM !!!!!

December 13, 2011 at 7:07 am | Reply
    • Ray

Four out of five American kids are BASTARD, upto ALL participants including you are among them, you all pussy clothes Killers of millions of people on lies on Iraq & caused USA economy TRILLIONS & thousands of American lives by STUPID G BUSH who brought great disrespect & shame to USA nation because of your kind of BASTARDS, Mother Fuckers people those misled him.

GET REAL all of you sons of bitches, blood clothes, arrogant AMERICA HAS LOST THE WAR AGAINST THE WEAKEST & POOREST AFGHANI PEOPLE who fought with basic weapons against SUPER POWER,,,,
      YOUR KIND OF ALL ASS HOLES BROUGHT THIS GREAT COUNTRY AT THIS CONDITION AND BLAMING PAKISTAN FOR YOUR FAILURE. DONT FORGET PAKISTAN HELPED MAKING AMERICA ONLY SUPER POWER IN THE WORLD.

Panetta is RIGHT. Bring all Troops back home save & spend Billions $ on American people to improve lives here.

FUCK YOU ALL KILLERS SUCKING AMERICAN WEALTH BY WAGING THESE SENSELESS WARS >>>>>>>>> LONG LIVE AMERICA

December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am | Reply
  5. billybob

I think we have had enough. This continuing nonsense with Paikistan will hopefully soon come to an end. We should consider Pakistan like we consider Afghanistan. The enemy. We should treat them as such. For a country where wives cook their husbands and then chop them into pieces and where terrorists are welcomed and sheltered for years Pakistan has shown us that there is no love lost and that if it were the shoe on the pther foot, they would have no compunction about attacking the USA. So go get 'em. bb

December 13, 2011 at 3:00 am | Reply
  6. Proud to be an American

I see we have some true patriots here that George Washington would be proud of. God bless the USA. Now lets kill all the dark Muslims !!!! Amen !

December 13, 2011 at 1:41 am | Reply
  7. Marine with an M4

Amen ! I was trained to kill these bitches. Lets make it happen !!! Time to open up on the terrorists and let these bitches know who is boss !!!!!!! DIE Motherfuckers !!!!!!!! ..... DIE Bastards !!!!!!! Fuck You !!! DIE SLOW Motherfickers !!!!! GO USA !!!!!! GEORGE BUSH RULES !!!!

December 13, 2011 at 1:15 am | Reply
  8. 20th Stryker Soldier

I dont care what these motherfuckers thinks. Its time to deploy ! Its time to go in ! Zero Hour ! Let the motherfucking bombs reign down on these motherfuckers. I want my mission to go into this theatre and kill these motherfuckers one by one. I await my orders SIR !!! Go USA !!!! THe BADDEST NATION ON EARTH !!! And dont any of You rag head mothfuckers forget it !!!!!

December 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Reply