Libya's interim government wants no-fly zone to end
Norwegian fighter jet flying as part of the no-fly zone enforcement over Libya in May.
October 26th, 2011
01:58 PM ET

Libya's interim government wants no-fly zone to end

By CNN's Joe Vaccarello reporting from the United Nations

A Libyan ambassador told the United Nations Security Council Wednesday that his country would like the NATO no-fly zone to be terminated by the end of this month, but he added that Libya's security concerns would need to be evaluated before a final decision could be made.

Libyan Deputy Ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi told the 15-member council Tuesday the Libyan people are "looking forward to terminating the no-fly zone over Libya."

"In accordance with the initial assessments, the date of October 31 is the logical date to terminate this mandate," he continued, but said further evaluation of the security situation and Libya's ability to monitor its borders was needed before a final date could be given.

Dabbashi said Libya was also keen to terminate the mandate accorded by U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973 to protect Libyan civilians, under which the NATO mission was authorized, as soon as possible.

While Libya was grateful for the international community's support, he said, such measures felt like an infringement of Libya's sovereignty.

Libya's interim government, the National Transitional Council (NTC), would reach a formal decision soon and inform the Security Council, he said.

Senior NATO officials agreed to a preliminary end date of October 31 for the alliance's seven-month Libya mission at a meeting last week.

The no-fly zone was one of three main elements in the NATO operation, the others being enforcement of an arms embargo and action to protect civilians and civilian areas under threat of attack.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters that discussions on the conclusion of NATO's mission were continuing.

Dabbashi also told the Security Council that former Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi wasn't executed by the militia men who captured him, but that he died of wounds sustained beforehand.

He said that according to initial inquiries, "Gadhafi was injured in the course of the clashes between his loyalists and the revolutionaries when he was arrested, he was bleeding from his abdomen and head, and he passed away with his arrival at the hospital in Misrata."

Cell phone videos that surfaced the same day or shortly thereafter seemed to contradict official Libyan accounts of how Gadhafi died.

Dabbashi said an independent commission of inquiry has been set up and "its findings will be made public after the completion of the investigation."

Gadhafi was buried Tuesday in Libya in an undisclosed location, five days after he was killed outside the city of Sirte. His son Mutassim and former defense minister Abu Bakr Younis, who were also killed, were buried at the same site.

The NTC and the United Nations have called for an independent investigation into the death of the man who ruled Libya for 42 years, while Human Rights Watch has described the deaths of Gadhafi and his son as "still unexplained."

Post by:
Filed under: Foreign Policy • Libya • NATO • NTC • United Nations
soundoff (One Response)
  1. Pistoya

    No way we can end the no fly zones until our oil interests are secure and the local population impressed that we are the boss. If necessary, it might in our best interests to take out a few villages and towns.

    October 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.