October 11th, 2011

U.S. military: no change in posture because of plot

By CNN Pentagon Correspondent Chris Lawrence
A senior defense official says there has been no change to U.S. military posture in reaction to the terror plot allegedly backed by Iran. The official says American Navy ships in the region have not been re-positioned, and at this point there are no plans to do so.

“The act is already done. One of the people involved is still at large, but the other principal is in custody. So what does changing military posture do?, the official says.

The official was not surprised at the level of cooperation apparently given by the Mexican government to foil the terror plot. “We’ve got a very good working relationship with the Mexican military in a number of ways, especially counter-narcotics. The US Navy and Marine Corps are very involved with their Mexican counterparts, and work together in several ways, including training.”

1. outspoken

Did I say last time Bla bla bla !!

October 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Reply
    • Lloyd Mudd

Its not Bla Bla,would you rather they start blowing up buildings planes and killing a shit load os people

October 17, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  2. ?????

A lot of idiots posting here!

October 11, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  3. FACTCHECK

wow, interesting posts – I think MAKO 10 is not really special forces – too many things wrong in his statement. If MAKO 10 really is then please answer this – where did you attend SFAS? be specific, and... hint, hint...BRAGG is not the answer – next one – if you really have an SCI , then you already know you are wrong for saying you have one. I know plenty of guys in "3rd Group" – and no one ever called it Group 3....

October 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  4. RANGER

HUMAN RACE why would you disrespect another persons religion ? Its mean,hateful,hurtful etc. God/Allah/budda whom ever you only represent one the( devil)

October 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Reply
    • Truthful

That's because he's a troll.

Also, thanks for your service and nice comments.

October 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  5. RANGER

I can tell not to many of you are Americans because of your comments. first off if you don't like being here then GTFO we will be better off with out you. I'm a army veteran and LOVE MY COUNTRY and will die for what it stands for and the freedoms so many of you take for granted. If you are that blind and do not see that the Iranians feel that this will make them something that they will never be powerful but what they do not understand is Freedom is the true power and what holds us together in the USA UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL. Since President Ahmadinejad likes to appear all tough let him say that Iranian government or a faction from within Iran had something to do with it and watch the response.

October 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  6. human race

allah is a dirty whore...... who has no male genitals and is queer

October 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Reply
  7. human race

all of you who are doubters should be stoned........this was an ACT OF WAR......we must treat it as such..... its like the paris hilton years....everyday...more news about paris hilton.......only one way to get rid of the same damn muslim news..... Fridays is going to be kill a muslim day..... it will take us a couple fridays till they are gone.... but lets do this guys!!!

October 11, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  8. muthy

i was also told that iraq hhad wmd's and ties to alqaeda so we can invade. so excuse me if i take this with a grain of salt for now.

October 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Reply
    • muthy

would that be 'unamerican' or 'cowardly'? or can we for the first time as a nation think rationally and not believe EVERYTHING that our government tells us, who btw have been proven to lie to us every now and then...

October 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Reply
      • SconnieGuz

They lie to us about everything muthy. I don't trust or believe a damn thing the media or this government puts out. Pretty sad it has come to that but they are lucky the citizens haven't taken to the streets with violence....yet. Enough of this world police BS.....it only makes us a target.

October 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Clinton

It's not irrational to question agendas but it IS irrational to automatically think that everything they say is a lie, the Government isn't 1 person, or one group of people that are there forever, we have elections ya know? people move in and out of office and just because GWB pushed a war in Iraq using failed intelligence and over estimating Iraq's capabilities to obtain WMD's, doesn't mean that every report from the Government for here on out is a lie... That's where you're irrational, assuming that everybody involved in Government is a liar and feeding you lies to promote an agenda is where you become irrational.

October 11, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  9. MAKO 10

"The US Navy and Marine Corps are very involved with their Mexican counterparts, and work together in several ways, including training.” Why are we funding and training corrupt police and military units in Mexican government again? So they can fight the cartels, we arm them, we train them and then they use that training and intel and give it to the cartels. Since 2006 when the US helped get President Felipe Calderon elected both the US and Mexico declared war on the cartels. The result, almost 48,000 homicides in 5 years and the cartels just got stronger and much more powerful. Good decision idiots in Washington. I'm not going to even mention Fast and Furious, oh wait I just did.

October 11, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Reply
    • Clinton

First off, 48000 murders? Tell me, where'd that figure come from? how bout sourcing your "numbers" because i doubt that 50,000 people have been killed... that's ridiculous... second... Where's your evidence the US assisted anybody in Mexico getting elected? We haven't been able to pursuade the cubans or many other central and South American countries to elect pro-American leaders so where do you get the idea that we influenced this.... What's wrong with people today... you all assume our Government is evil... it's not... you're a bunch of dillusional idiots with nothing better to do than talk crap about the greatest country on the planet... get a job and shut up.

October 11, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Reply
      • MAKO 10

Clinton: You obviously don't know what you are talking about not vise versa. Where have you been for 5 years? Just research what I said, it's very true, maybe not to a person like you. I have a job, I'm an 18 Echo, US Army, Group 3 Special Forces, done four tours in Afghanistan/ Pakistan and have TS/SCI clearances. Make over $110,000 a year and love my country and job. What do you do for a living?

October 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
      • Clinton

Mako – I'm a former US Army Soldier and Veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I work for largest I.T. Company in the World and earn 6 figures as a program manager. I have a clearance as well and work on a Gov. Contract. As for your job with the special forces, what does an 18E do? Because i'm pretty sure you don't track Muders in Mexico. As for your statement "just research it" No, i'm not going to research it, you put a figure out there of 50,000 homicides in 5 years, if you're going to make a statement like that you should be able to source your information. I highly doubt 50k people have been murdered by the cartels in 5 years, that would mean that 830 people would be murdered each month in Mexico by the cartels something like 30 a day... Don't buy it.

October 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
      • Don

oh, sorry Clinton. Our government is SO honest. What a sheep you are.

October 11, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
      • Jay Becker

So you must work for one of these agencies Im guessing? If you have the audacity to sit there and say that our own CIA has not been involved in countless overthrows and propping up of Dictators all over the world..then you my friend are sadly misinfiormed and need to do alot of research. How go you explain the Iran Contra scandal? sounds eerily like Fast and Furious to me. I for one love my country and the soldiers that protect it. What i do not love is this unconstitutional administration and the unconstitutional agencies that assasinate in our country's name. BIG DIFFERENCE THERE my fellow American.

October 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
      • Don

also, only windbags gloat how much they make. BFD, you make 6 figures. Overpaid drone.

October 11, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
      • Clinton

Don, you're an idiot, who are you even referring to when you say Government? Do you even know? The Government isn't one entity. They do not speak with 1 voice on hardly anything. You are just some uneducated lunatic spouting off about how "the guvment took er jabs and they jus lie to us" seriously do you even know who your congressmen are? do you know who your Governor is without googling it? Do you know who the secretary of state is or who heads up the FBI or CIA.... or do you just assume there's some big monster in Washington that is called "guvament" and it makes all the decisions and does everything.

October 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
      • MAKO 10

Well the figure is very true regardless of how you think it should be. Confirmed count over 43,000 homicides since 2006 in the drug war in Mexico, the difference I figured in is the estimated 6,000-10,000 missing and presumed dead. 18 Echo means I am a Asst. Communications SGT. I specialize in intelligence/communications mainly MASINT, HUMINT, ISINT and TECHINT, intel gathering. Why do I know so much about the Drug War in Mexico, because unlike you I read and closely follow all threats to our nation. That being said why are you attacking me?

October 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
      • Clinton

Don? are you referring to me? or Mako? the only reason i brought up my salary was because MAKO made reference to it and questioned whether i worked and if so where and how much i made. You on the other hand, making comments like "overpaid drone" lead me to believe you don't have a job that you like and you don't make much money. That sir is not my problem. I've worked since i was 18 years old, my parents were poor, i started my adult life with the clothes on my back i had to bum rides to work to earn enough to get a car, I worked full time and went to college, i worked in retail, i worked as a mover, i worked in a factory for 9 dollars an hour picking up scrap metal and bending it down to be recycled for 12 hours a day 6 days a week before joining the Army because i didn't want to take out student loans, i served my country and served in Iraq, i got out and it took me 2 and a half months to find a full time job in I.T. and it took me 3 years to get the job i have now... I've had NOTHING handed to me and i've EARNED everything i have. I'm no drone, i know what it means to struggle, but unlike you i have experience with the Government, i know many people who work in it, and no not all people in the Government have always been honest, but the fact is, the large majority of them are good people just like you and me and they are looking out for our best interests, so when a story like this comes out I'm inclined to believe it not come up with some conspiracy right off the bat

October 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
      • Don

and I guess you're a genius, huh? OK, factions of the government lie. But not ALL of them (LoL). Gabby Giffords is/was my congressman and Jan Brewer is governor. Hillary Clinton is Sec. of State. I may be uneducated, according to you, but at least I don't believe everything some nitwits in Washington tell me, which is what this story refers to. Anything else you need to know?

October 11, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
      • Clinton

Mako – I am not attacking you, only trying to get you to prove your source, i disagree with you that 50,000 people have been murdered by the Cartels over the past 5 years, sounds too high to me, but you might be right, i just think it sounds high... also i'm defensive because you insulted me by insinuating in your earlier post that i do not have a good job etc. as if i'm somehow you would impress me with your resume. By the way... I was a 25U, comms but i wouldn't go around declaring that you have a TS.. I'm pretty sure that's in the briefing "don't post anything about your clearance in a public forum" just saying... anyways you stay safe, even if we disagree on something, I'm always praying for our servicemen.

October 11, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
      • Don

ok, factions of govt. I stand corrected. Gabby Giffords is/was my congressman. Jan Brewer is governor. What state do I live in? Don't google it. Sec of State, your wife, Hillary? Yeah, I'm uneducated, but I don't believe or actually, I can't discern, who's lying and who isn't anymore than you can. My parents were poor too. I worked (paper route) since I was 12

October 11, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • CJA

Your argument is wrong. What you in effect said has (1) the US paid to train some Mexican military people, (2) some Mexican military people did bad things (3) therefor the bad guys are US trained. You have not made the connections. What next? The University of California trains some students in Chinese history, A UC grad robbed a bank. Therefor Chinese history professors are training bank robbers. It is good to study Logic. Aristotle wrote wrote about this about 2,500 years ago. He made a list of common mistakes, your mistake is not new.

October 11, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Reply
      • MAKO 10

If your willing to risk your life countless times and have the ability and brains to become Special Forces, you too can and should make the money we make. If I chose not to do what I do I could surely find a way to do better money wise, but I don't care about money, I care about my country and the safety of our citizens more than anything in life. Clinton is attacking me cause I posted true facts that Clinton can't believe are true. I would gladly do what I do for free. Thats how much I love my country. It isn't and never has been about the money. Were all volunteers remember?

October 11, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • aveerog1

your right th US should do nothing to stop the cartel. Should have left them alone to sell and make their drugs. after all the drug cartel are accomplishing what they set to do is to have people like you get scared so we complain about the very people who are doing their very best to stop the.

October 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  10. Avi Shlomo

Well said!!

October 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Reply
  11. Clinton

@Leagalize dude, you got some problems man. Let me guess, you're fat, out of work, have no friends and your wife left you? You seem really eager to take your anger out on people you don't know. If your Conservative party is so great, why was it they didn't prevent the economic collapse which occurred under GW?

October 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Reply
    • Jay Becker

Clinton tell Soros we said hi. As you sit in your mothers basement there. lol

October 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  12. j shelley

Admiral Mullen: "Reposition those ships NOW. We've got to take out those assassins with Tomahawks.

Tech (worried): "But...Admiral...they're just a bunch of journalists covering the story."

Adm. Mullen: "Goddammit, don't bother me with the details!!"

Tech: They're civilians, Sir.

Adm. Mullen: "We need to BLOW S–T UP to keep the Wall St Marchers off page one!"

Tech (sullen): "Well, they're just a bunch of poindexters anyway."

Adm. Mullen: "That's right, Son. In need of a taste of democracy!"

[View moves into FLIR screen as heat sheen immerses Saudi courthouse with white light.]

October 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Reply
    • LeagalizeAbortion

Legalize abortion so that the liberal parasites kill off their voting young, and they will just die off without us having to have a civil war.

Liberals = parasites

October 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Reply
      • FoundingFathersHatedRepublicanWayOfThinking

Wow, one would think that education would cure and enlighten your kind. You people have a mental block that prevents your from using logic to analyze information and truly understand world issues before opening your mouths. Learning from new information is part of evoultion and adapting, and apparently your kind still lingers into a new century, hopefully with the advancement of civilization your kind will diminish in numbers and be less of a nuisance to all man kind.

October 11, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Tony W.

Pssssttt.....

Adm. Mullen retired. Get your misguided satire right.

October 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Reply
    • Clinton

j shelley, based on your comments here, i pretty much surmise that you're an idiot. What a dumb statement to make. You honestly believe us Soldiers out there are bloodthirsty killers that want nothing more than to go around and kill as many civilians as we can? You're a sick SOB... why don't you educate yourself before talkin crap, go get to know a soldier sailor or airman before you say stupid !@#$ like that.

October 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Reply
      • j shelley

My family has been in the military since the 11th Century. And you're mixing up the pawns with the King and Queen. I am not arguing that soldiers and airmen are stupid - it's the system they follow that is corrupt and evil.

November 13, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • Avi Shlomo

and your point? why not focus on the economy? Children of the poor can't find your endless wars that based on lies and re-manufatured events and history.

October 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Reply
      • Clinton

tell me Avi, what's been remanufactured? we witness everything today... everybody carries a mobile device that takes video.. truth isn't hidden... idiots like you just refuse to accept reality

October 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  13. Joe different view

This recent terror incedent could be a ploy by others who want the U.S. to go to war with Iran.Who would benefit?(Isreal).Lets not be anyones pawn.Straight forward plot or engineered?

October 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • letsbelize

Some people are just morons, to think the US is just morons. This is clearly an act of war against the US, SA, and Israel. I would think people of the US and alike would take their blinders off and finish Iran once and for all.

October 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Reply
      • Joe different view

The true act of war is the morons who want someone else to bleed while they are entertained watching war on cnn at home! Get your blinders off and see that it would be seen as better for us to defend an Arab allie against another Arab country! The Middle East is all about gamemanship.

October 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Clinton

Joe... let me guess... you're part of the same group that tried to convince everybody that Obama wasn't born in the US ... even though they posted his birth certificate and proved it... and you're an idiot that believes 9/11 was an inside job despite the numerous documentaries that have debunked the ridiculous conspiracy theorists claims... .. seriously... take off the tin foil hat... put your bong down and go get your girlfriend to stop Suckin D for crank... get a job... get a life and quit making up conspiracies just because your life is so worthless that you want to be "involved" in something.

October 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Reply
      • Joe different view

Clint you need to get your head out of the sand.The are many absurd conspiracy theories,but there are many manipulators who will attempt to make events benefit them. Sorry you have blinders on,that consider no other possibilities. The oil companies have been doing this for years.WHO'S INTEREST IS IT?

October 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
      • Clinton

Joe, i don't have my head in the Sand i just don't listen to obsurd conspiracy theorists come up with idiotic statements. You automatically assume there's some conspiracy hidden behind the FBI and DEA's discovery of a plot to assassinate a foreign official yet you haven't even seen the case... you're reaching without any kind of evidence you just make up a story that fits your idea of the world.... I'm a former soldier... i fought in Iraq, I know what's outside these borders as well as anybody. I've worked with brave men and women who are trying to defend this country from people that would kill everyone you know if given the opportunity... and yet here you are, defending them and accusing our country of being evil.... you're foolish, and naive... you seriously need a reality check... you don't think Iran is capable of this and don't think they did it..... take a trip to Iran

October 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • Joe different view

Clint you're allfull jumpy! If you read my original statement,it is a question,not a statement of fact.I thank you for your service,but i never mentioned anything about our armed forces.I am simply stating the proposition that everything might not be what it seems.Research Smedley Butler(Medal of Honor) he was concerned about fighting wars for special interest.The Iranian situation is serious,but it's not a singular issue.Hopefully my food for thought senario is not getting you mentally blocked,because I never said our country was behind it. Just think about it,don't take anything at face value and I hope someone who is in the CIA,FBI,DEA,ETC.,will make sure this isn't the case.

October 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  14. Willie 12345

Hillary is busy working out the terms for our surrender to Iran , ........ as you read this posting.

October 11, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Reply
    • Choate

Willie, did your parents have any children that lived?

October 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • LeagalizeAbortion

Choate its a shame that your parents let you live. How about you doing us a favor if you have think of having children. Use a coat hanger and terminate it.

October 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Reply
      • MAKO 10

I just threw up. Wow you are a true nut job.

October 11, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Clinton

It's not willie's fault that he ate paint chips as a child... his parents didn't tell him not to... Oh and hey @Legalize, saying that liberals are the problem when the Government has equally been run by both parties over the past couple decades, makes you a complete and utter moron... How well did the last administration do? Even if you blame the economy on Obama you have to at least admit that your boy Bush oversaw the collapse of the economy... seriously quit being a political idiot and acting like one side has outperformed the other... .... such an idiot..

October 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Reply
  15. Jon

Daniel, if you had read more on this incident you would have discovered that the Iranian hired an assassin in Mexico to carry out plot.

October 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  16. Raven

If this latest action by Iran doesn't sound for military action by both Saudi Arabia and the US, Then I just don't know what this world coming to. The bombs right now should be falling on Tehran.

October 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Reply
    • Rob

Yes, why not!! We could add one more to the list of countries we should go to war with!!

Moron!!

October 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Reply
      • Smarts

Actually we are not really fighting a war in either of those countries, we are policing them and that is the problem. We have the military might if we wanted to crush all three at once but we never take the gloves off when we fight. We are too worried how the media will display it and how the world that hates us will view it. We will in fact watch as Iran builds nukes and then cry when we can't do anything about it until one of our cities here glows in the dark..

October 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Choate

Oh sure, bombs seemed to have so many of our problems thus far. Moron.

October 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • LeagalizeAbortion

Choate

Where do you live. Let me help you abort yourself.

October 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • letsbelize

Your so right. I don't care if we are fighting 20 wars. What Iran did and will attempt again is still an act of war. Those who sit and wait for d-day to come upon us are just killing the future of all mankind. "You don't win a war by dieing for your country. You win by having your enemy die for his".

October 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  17. Daniel Morgan

"The official says while the Pentagon continues to concentrate on keeping an eye on the Quds Force and Iran’s actions in the region, especially Iraq, Afghanistan and the Persian Gulf, this incident is “much more of a law-enforcement matter.”

The official was not surprised at the level of cooperation apparently given by the Mexican government to foil the terror plot."

Dear CNN: Please hire an editor. What does Mexico have to do with any of this?

October 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Reply
    • BoLoMT

ummm.......

They were hiring a Mexican drug cartel to do the hit? Read much?

October 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Reply
      • Ryan

This article sucks. Little to no detail.

October 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
      • Choate

Ryan, why not read the Justice Department complaint, which is readily available. Oh... yeah... nevermind.

October 11, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
      • Dirtdan

@Choate ..... You're right. I actually read the formal complaint in it's entirety. Hats off to the intelligence community on this one. My question to you is..... What constitutes an act of war on our country in your opinion. I believe this was just that. If nothing comes from this I will be very disappointed with the current administration.

October 11, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Art

If you were aware of the story. This sting took place in Mexico , where the Iranian apparently tried to hire a Mexican " drug cartel " hit man. This cartel contact was a DEA informant. Now how about you Daniel , being more aware of a news story before blamimg an editor. And as for the previous " moron " that wants to bomb Tehran right now. You're obviously not stationed with the US military right next door in Iraq facing a very large Iranian army.

October 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Reply
    • amust

just another ploy by the crooks to keep citizen from the actual dangers....spiraling down the economy....and arms suppliers stocks goes up , so does the saudi kings/prince/princess who have nothing else but ot live lavishly

October 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Reply
      • Clinton

@amust – Just another tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy junkie ignoring facts and turning anything they hear on the news into a conspiracy... seriously... stop using meth you idiot.

October 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • LeagalizeAbortion

Choate is an example of an abortion gone bad. They tried to end the life but failed, and Choate is what is left.

Have pity on the deranged and feed it some arsenic. Any gang banger out there that need target practice? I'll be more then happy to give you money to further the abortion started on Choate so many years ago.

October 11, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Reply
      • Clinton

That's basically a murder for hire plot right there... legalize ( you spelled legalize wrong) you just basically stated that you want to hire some people to kill someone.... you're not a very bright one are you...

October 11, 2011 at 6:35 pm |