A jaw-dropping loss
U.S. Navy SEALs demonstrate a special patrol insertion/extraction from an MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter in this file photo. (Robert J. Fluegel/U.S. Navy)
August 7th, 2011

A jaw-dropping loss

By Jim LeMay, CNN

Editor's note: Jim LeMay is the CNN Weekend Managing editor. He is from a long established military family with six relatives currently serving in the U.S. armed forces around the world. He is a graduate of the New Mexico Military Institute and worked as a news videographer in a number of war-torn countries. He currently serves with the Georgia State Defense Force on a search and rescue team and volunteers his time at Fort Stewart, Georgia.

(CNN) - The loss of the 22 Navy SEALs is jaw dropping.

They were among 30 U.S. troops killed when a helicopter went down this weekend in the most deadly single incident for American forces since the Afghan war began nearly 10 years ago. More than 1,500 U.S. servicemen and women have died in the conflict.  Each of these deaths is every bit as tragic as what happened Saturday.

What sets this incident apart is the combat role of the SEALs and the esteem in which they are held, especially in military circles.

The embedding of  journalists in fighting units has put a face on this war and brought the solider experience home - but the SEALs, who specialize in covert operations, don't allow embedded journalists.

So look at it this way: What if we had lost 22 NFL players with half of them being Heisman trophy winners? Or think if we had lost 22 major league baseball players? There's a direct correlation because professional athletes are good examples of the kind of elite status bestowed on the SEALs.

The training a SEAL member goes through is intensive. The U.S. spends millions of dollars per man to keep them in top physical and mental shape.

Hollywood has romanticized SEALs as beer-swilling, skirt-chasing killers - but the reality is very different. For the most part, SEALs are family men with a lot to live for. Given the covert nature of their jobs, when they're back home, they remain low key and stay out of the spotlight. They're under constant scrutiny for security reasons and must pass a stringent vetting process to keep their secret clearances' intact.

One thing they all seem to posses is an undying love for country and the willingness to sacrifice their lives for their fellow team member and the mission. They run at high speed and are known to do multiple missions every day they're in country. They are not the point of the spear - they are the spear. Constant training makes them experts in every combat discipline from the highly technical to hand-to-hand combat.

Stealth is their nature; You can't just pluck another soldier out of line and replace a fallen SEAL.

This loss will be felt for years. We are unlikely to see the suffering of their families and colleagues. When a loved one is a SEAL, your life changes forever.

Family members must remain silent about their loved ones - they can never reveal details.

Just simple questions like, "Where's Tom?" have to be answered carefully.

Families must remain low-key as well, doing their best not to draw unwanted attention. It's only now, after their untimely deaths that you will hear from the extended families.

To get a visual idea of what their pain will look like; line up 22 pairs of boots or put 22 folded flags in a row. Perhaps then, you will begin to sense the loss.

At Coronado Naval Air station in California and at the SEAL base in Norfolk, Va. - rest assured the impact of this loss is just starting to sink in.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Navy SEALs • Security Brief
  1. 6”/150Mm Diamond Saw Blade With Protective Teeth

On Sale Diamond Granite Cutting Blade https://www.diamondsawsale.com/on-sale-diamond-granite-cutting-blade.html On Sale Diamond Granite Cutting Blade
    6"/150Mm Diamond Saw Blade With Protective Teeth https://www.diamondsawsale.com/6-150mm-diamond-saw-blade-with-protective-teeth.html

December 3, 2018 at 4:13 am | Reply
  2. putt

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the ultimate section 🙂 I take care of such information much. I was looking for this particular information for a very long time. Thanks and best of luck.

October 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  3. golf gloves

I'll immediately take hold of your rss feed as I can't in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

September 24, 2012 at 4:33 am | Reply
  4. Easter Cupcake Ideas

excellent publish, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector do not understand this. You should proceed your writing. I am sure, you've a great readers' base already!

August 14, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Reply
  5. Alex

These men are the best our country has and to suggest otherwise is an insult to the selfliss sacrafice they have made.

August 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  6. DD

Very sorry to see more people senselessly killed. I'd love to recall all US military from other countries and then see what happens. After an invasion I think we'd find out real quick what people are made of. My guess is, same as its always been throughout history.

August 8, 2011 at 11:59 am | Reply
  7. Bubba

It's takes a certain kind of specialist to do this as a job, and as the man said, they aren't easily replaced. But more dragon's teeth will spring up to replace them, and the ranks have already closed around their absence.

August 8, 2011 at 11:00 am | Reply
  8. Military mom

A horrific loss to our military. Thank you CNN for saluting 22 of our elite fighting men. But what about the other 8? Among them 3 USAF CCT's – Equally trained if not more so and just as elite. CCT's embed with special forces units from all branches of our military. Including Navy SEALS. And who are the remaining 5? CNN, don't they ALL deserve our recognition? Finish the story.

August 8, 2011 at 10:52 am | Reply
    • Patrick

Exactly, very well said Military Mom...everyone is a member of the team, everyone will be missed even the canine.

August 8, 2011 at 11:42 am | Reply
    • RIPbravesoldiers

My brother in law is Navy EOD down in Virginia Beach, and apparently several EOD (also highly trained specialists) were among those killed in this tragedy. I heard this from my brother, he worked closely with these men and with the SEALs

August 9, 2011 at 9:53 am | Reply
  9. Native American

Het zinicchi-mario or what ever your dumb ^ss name is I live in Plano Tx and I will give you my email and I will meet you any where you want you low life chunk of dog &hit. ANY TIME. I win, you pack your $hit and leave this country you win. Name it.

August 8, 2011 at 10:24 am | Reply
  10. stuck in the middle

Any loss of human life is terrible. As much as the statements that Zenichi-Maro has made may enrage those who have deep connections with the military, his point deserves consideration. I DO NOT AGREE with disrespecting the dead on any level, and I have a huge amount of respect for those that serve the country. HOWEVER, i do feel our military is being used way too offensively to wage war in other countries. Have terrorist activities decreased since we started this campaign?? is the world a safer place? what I do know is that we have lost thousands of Valuable soldiers lives and spent Trillions of dollars "taking the fight to them" but what return have we gotten for our investment? The entire Bail out package and tarp plan could be paid for by the cost of one months war costs. So I ask why we have lost perspective on what is worth the cost of what we pay? We are spending Trillions of dollars in countries most americans couldn't even point out on map. And meanwhile , the middle class, where most soldiers have come from is melting away and being taken advantage of, just to continue the process. What got us into this mess, is not going to get us out. Its time to really take a hard look at policy making in this country and decide to protect our own shores and save american lives by not needlessly point these soldiers in harms way. to those who make hateful statements, ask yourself what good comes from fanning the fires of hate under gods name. Whatever god you believe in, im sure it is a loving God that doesnt condone violence in his/her name.

August 8, 2011 at 10:18 am | Reply
    • David

SITM (Hah, I like that!),
      Please don’t attempt to validate the logic of Zenichi, he is another far-left troll who lacks the ability to comprehend reality and objectively think about any situation. And less we forget, he is disrespectful to the dead and a genuine grad-A jacka** (to put it lightly). As far as your concerns with money, I ask you this:
      HOW MANY MILLIONS IS IT WORTH TO PREVENT ANOTHER TERRORIST ATTACK? How much did it cost the US for the World Trade Center to be destroyed? How much is it worth to the families of THREE-THOUSAND innocent people killed? And don’t get the war in Afghanistan confused about the retarded reasoning (WMDs) for invading Iraq, most people can tell the difference between these two countries.
      SIGH….hold one, the next set of posts are going to be from those left-wing & conspiracy nut-jobs telling me about how 9/11 was an inside job, Bush is imperialist new world order, no blood for oil, yada yada…

August 8, 2011 at 11:10 am | Reply
  11. Brian

For those of you "offended" by the comparison of Navy Seals to professional sports players...get over yourself. The point of the story is the level of skill involved, not their contribution to society. The Navy Seal is definitely the Heisman Trophy winner of the Armed Forces...the best of the best. The writer is correctly using this comparison to get through the thick skulls of people by comparing to things they can relate to. Then again, we are a nation consumed by stupidity (Tea Party) so I'm not surprised by some of the responses either. As for Zenichi-Maro...right on. I'm a veteran and I still agree with him. It's called freedom of speech and expression and what do most of you do? Tell him to leave the country or make veiled threats. I guess what's good enough for me is not good enough for thee, huh? Typical Tealiban mentality for you.

August 8, 2011 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • CJ

Right on Brian, well said.

August 8, 2011 at 10:17 am | Reply
  12. JOE

Are you people kidding? What would impeachment of GWB accomplish? Yes, it's true that George W. Bush and his Cabinet are no longer in office but the deaths of our Navy Seals in that helicopter crash in Afghanistant is of their doing. They are responsible for those deaths. O' wait! I know you all are goint to say that Obama sent them there right? But guess what, Obama had to send them there because he is left with the daunting task of finishing an unfinished, abandoned and prolonged war that George W. Bush and his cabinet are responsible for. And in an American court of law, the law would read that GWB's cabinet is an accomplice to murder and GWB is the murdered. And in Texas you all know what that sentence would be. Yea, hope they find the right oak tree.

August 8, 2011 at 10:09 am | Reply
    • Ash1

These soldiers are heroes and anyone who suggests otherwise needs to move to another country. The US doesn't need you here. Bush started the downward spiral of this country and Obama has been the fall guy. I'm tired of these old stupid Republicans that do nothing but suck this country dry!! Get them out of office, they don't do their jobs!! If they did we would hear more solutions but NO all we hear is them blaming democrats.

August 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  13. Sulaiman

Right on JOE. Impeach them.

But I am truely DISGUSTED by the cruelty of the American soldier in that chopper.

What kind of a heartless man would leave his children to grow up as orphans so he can satisfy his lust for playing Rambo?

Sickos!

August 8, 2011 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • Kimimaro

Don't mistake your words for wisdom, now and forever you'll only be known as a coward.

August 8, 2011 at 10:59 am | Reply
    • S

People with families shouldn't be in the military? Perhaps we should beef up an army of orphans so when there are casualties there's no immediate "family" to actually feel a loss?

The soldier in that chopper left his family to go to work, just like you and I do. Only his job description includes defending the freedoms that people like you clearly don't appreciate. I fully appreciate our right to free speech, a right defended every day by our military, and I understand your need to use it in a defamatory manner. I think I'll do the same – you're an asshole.

August 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Reply
    • Desantnick

Hey Sulaiman
      Let's play Rambo...

August 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • Clesca

Posted on Hello! Quick question that’s tolatly away topic. Do you know learning to make your site mobile warm and friendly? My website seems weird when watching from my i phone. I’m trying to find a theme or even plugin that might be capable of fix this problem. In case you have any recommendations, make sure you share. Appreciate it!

March 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
  14. JOE

Why Use Facts, no I'm not racist and neither am I Democrat, Republican or Independent. I'm just an everyday American who loves America, that is every race, every creed and every color. But to answer your question, yes race is a factor in the way the GOP and their Tea Party are constantly and deliberately setting up roadblocks to see president Obama fail. After all, that is what their constituents said when the president was elected. They said that they wanted him to fail. Well, guess what, as the president goes, so does America.

And yes, race is a factor because there has been calls for president Obama's impeachment just for supporting a legitimate United Nation's no fly zone over Libya. And I must add that so far, no American soldiers have died in this mission. But on the other hand, George W. Bush lied to the American people about bogus and non existent weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and in the process, he murdered 4,000 US troops but eight years later, not one mention of the word impeachment. So Why Use Facts, you be the judge.

August 8, 2011 at 9:56 am | Reply
    • Karan

Posted on I’m happy I came across this wboleg, My spouse and i couldnt learn virtually any info on this subject theme prior to. I also manage a site and if you need to ever serious in the little bit of guest creating for me if possible feel free to let me know, i’m usually appear for people to look at out my site. Make sure you stop by and leave the comment sometime!

March 3, 2012 at 8:12 am | Reply
  15. swimmom

Unfortunately, using the sports reference is most likely the best way to get a large majority of Americans to even begin to understand the significance of these soldiers. It is hard for most (as you can tell from alot of these posts) to comprehend the reason someone would agree to work for little pay, little respect, little acknowledgment of a job well-done, and lots of time away from family. I know the "idiots" posting here will not understand, but it takes an amazing, caring, patriotic person with a supportive family to take on the challenge of becoming the best of the best, knowing how little they will get in return. Maybe they do it because they feel it is their way to make this world a better place for everyone (even those people who have nothing better to do than criticize a dead person).
    Thanks to all of our US service men and women.

August 8, 2011 at 9:52 am | Reply
    • ronald

What about those hundereds and perhaps thousands Afghans and Iraqis killed by them often cowardlly and in the thick of the night? It is politically incorrect to walk up to a solider and ask him or her, how many people have you killed today? I guess not. Tell people what that sacrifice/patriotism entails in the first place: killing kiving beings. It is a pity that a self-professed Chrisitan nation destroys the lives of its young people by asking them to be extinguishers of life.

August 8, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
      • gelbkreuz

Ronald, it is better for you to keep your mouth shut about matters you know nothing about and let everyone think you're a fool than to open it and prove it.

August 8, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  16. SPC. Chris Roderick

I am deeply saddened to hear of the loss of those men. SEALs are the elite american troops. Their sacrifice will not go unnoticed. My prayers go out to the families of the men so tragically killed in this incident. "Always remembered, never forgotten"

August 8, 2011 at 9:49 am | Reply
  17. Joe

To Mr. Zenichi-Maro:

Would it be remarkable to you if Americans lost their right to free speech? Would it be remarkable to you if you could not freely post hate and disrespect on US hosted websites? I suspect yes to the latter at least, as blogs are where it appears that we all get to see how brave, selfless and tough you are, or not.

The dead soldiers, my Shipmates, and your fellow man signed up to serve in order that you, and every other freedom seeking human on earth could enjoy the rights we both are exercising today. I challenge you to move your head to where it can see the light of day, take a breath of free and fresh air, and think about your rights and where they come from: the US Constitution and the HEROES that have volunteered to support and defend it. Who cares? The dead soldiers do, as they placed you and everyone else before themselves when the gave their life, so you could enjoy your tirade of hate and disrespect. Good luck to you sir.

August 8, 2011 at 9:38 am | Reply
    • James

For context, read Mr. Zenichi-Maro's post below from August 8, 2011 at 9:03 am

August 8, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • Zenichi-Maro

The military did not give me my freedom. The DoI clearly states that "We hold these truths to be SELF EVIDENT, that ALL MEN are created EQUAL" (emphasis added). There's nothing there that says I have to fellate the professional soldier (i.e. mercenary) in order to have my freedom. It is given by God, and not one bullet or bad guy can change that.

I submit, sir, that your air is tainted by the vapourous lies told to you so many years ago when you signed up for the Navy. If you think that the military is what grants my freedom, then move to China and tell me they're free.

Cheers,
      ZNM

August 8, 2011 at 10:01 am | Reply
      • Joe

The US Constitution, not the Declaration of Independence, defines the rule of law in the US. The 1st Amendment, which provides for your right to blog, is an amendment to the US Constitution, not the Declaration of Independence. The US Constitution, therefore the rule of law, is protected by men and women who take an oath to support and protect it. You are an American, and you state you are a teacher. You should know where your freedom comes from. Perhaps you can consider who protects where your freedom comes from, and just say thank you.

August 8, 2011 at 10:23 am |
      • David

Zenichi, you must be missing some synapses in your brain, which is the only reason I can think of that would explain your flawed logic.
        You say that soldiers don’t give you the freedom of speech, but the t DOI was made DURING the REVOLUTIONARY WAR, guaranteed by those SOLDIERS who fought for it. It has since been protected dozens of times since (see war of 1812-present day). God granted rights to have freedom of speech, but only soldiers guarantee it.
        I’ve scrolled through and read some of the other nonsense spewing out your adolescent-locked mind, and see clearly that you are mentally retarded tool whose common sense atrophied long ago. Since you are an organic farmer, please continue your pointless existence and I’ll go drink my beer. The soldiers who have died and continue to die have led a better life than the one you claim now. You are enjoying your freedom of speech given to you by soldiers, and are clearly using that freedom to be a complete waste of oxygen. Reading the junk that you have posted, I grant you a status as being a little above a child molester, but not as good as a cockroach.
        I speak more common sense truths to you, but as I stated earlier, you lack the ability to comprehend reality.
        Please enjoy your freedom to continue being the douche that you clearly are.

August 8, 2011 at 10:30 am |
      • BOD

Zenichi-Maro, you and your supporters always have the right to LEAVE the US if you don't like it. I am sure that no one would shed a tear if you did. If you think it is so much beter somewhere else go there. So shut up or put up.

The professional soldiers, as you call them do keep us safe at night, every night. War or no War. What do you think keeps other nations from invading and taking over, your sharp wit? not hardly, It is the US soldier, the young man or woman who risk it all to keep everyones rights in place for now and for future generations. You only have the right to disrespect your government because of them, try going to some other country and doing that, PLEASE!!

To the families of this tragic mishap; Your Son/Daughter sacrifice was and is greatly appreciated, I salute them and hold them dear in my heart.

August 8, 2011 at 10:35 am |
      • "DOC"

I can't even begin to fathom the stupidity that is escaping your mouth (or fingers in this case). How can you sit here and say that the military does not dictate your freedom. Who fought and died for our freedom some 235 years ago when we as states in a newly formed country decided we didn't want to deal with a tyrant? The first soldiers, sailors, and marines of the continental army, navy, and marine corps. I would love for you to grab a weapon and come along on a comat patrol with me and tell me that my marines and I are not providing you your god given right(yes I said it) to have the freedom to wipe your own a$$ without taking idf or even df.......You my friend are the most worthless individual I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to come across. I hope you like your computer and your nice house and your nice car because if it where up to me and the guys over here in the thick of it we would definately let them walk into your house and take all that you love. Oh and for the record thats the mild side of what they like to do to Infidel Americans.......RIP my brothers......we will never forget........keep your feet wet and your bowder dry boys......

August 16, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  18. Robert

The dad's of one of these fallen SEAL members said on nationwide TV this morning (Today Show), that his son told him before he died that someone in a high place was compromised, and to fully expect retribution within 90 days of Bin Laden's death.

August 8, 2011 at 9:38 am | Reply
  19. JOE

Too bad that for two and a half years the Democrats haven't had the balls to tell the GOP tthat when it comes to the war in Afghanistan, you don't earn the right to criticize, judge or evaluate this administration's handling of that war simply because you had your chance and you failed when you abandoned Afghanistan to go into Iraq. And too bad that when the GOP asked where are the jobs, the Democrats didn't have the balls to tell the GOP to shut to hell up because if you had any economic solutions, we wouldn't be in the worst economic crisis in America since the Great Depression in the first place. And when Congresswoman Gabriella Giffords was shot in Arizona and was fighting for her life, too bad the Democrats didn't have the balls to tell the GOP that it was their Tea Party's hateful and divisive rhetorics that inspired the gunman's deadly rampage. And too bad that when the GOP and their Tea Party made such an uproar over the historic healthcare legislation, the Democrats didn't have the balls to tell them that the American people who elected president Obama adopted the platforn of "Change" and voted for healthcare reform.

Let's face it, if this current class of Democrats were around during the Civil Rights era in America, America would still be segregated today. And because the Democrats went into hiding and allowed the GOP's fear mongering to deter them from telling the American people that the GOP was lying to them about the policies and leadership of the Obama administration, the GOP happened to win the House of Representatives by a landslide. Now the GOP and their Tea Party are laughing at the American people and saying, what idiots. And idiots they are. And idiots the Democrats are.

August 8, 2011 at 9:37 am | Reply
    • Stephen

And if you had your facts straight you wouldn't be such a lying mouthpiece for the Left.

Congress and Bush started Afghanistan and Iraq. How many Democrats in congress during those calls. THEY ALL LIED.

Obama is the Only person that DID NOT propose an Economic Solution. TWICE he stepped in only to call congress BRATS and tell them to come together. Nor did Obama use his Presidential Powers to raise the ceiling himself(Weak Leader).

And you were lied to about Libya as well sir. That was only supposed to last a few weeks. Who are we helping in Libya again????

August 8, 2011 at 10:10 am | Reply
  20. Dreamer96

This is so sad, helo's still remain subject to this kind of attack, when a few soldiers hanging out the sides armed with net launchers might have been able to stag the rocket propelled genade in flight and cause it to miss it's target.

Yes the soldiers would be at risk to rife fire, but the helos could be modified to have ports like a midievil castle, or gun turrets like a B-17, to shoot out of, something could be done..should be done..

We could also change our tactics, and instead of using the dark of night as cover could mount bright flood light or even strob lights on these helo's and turn them on when landing...Have you ever tried to look into the sun? The taliban would not be able to target the helo if they are blinded by very bright lights or strob lights. Yes the taliban might try this on us, but I don't think they have the lights to do it or could carry them around everywhere they go.

One thing too is it would light up the night and help our soldiers see the taliban on the ground.

August 8, 2011 at 9:35 am | Reply
    • Pragmatic

Dreamer, it is good you care and are suggesting alternate tactics for helicopter protection, but countermeasure options have been considered and evaluated over many years–including those you thoughtfully suggest. All tactical helicopters fly with machinegun-armed observer/crewmembers who search for the enemy and employ night vision goggles that provide better lookout than current technology searchlights or strobes. The challenge lies in the fact more terrain exists than eyeballs and technology to closely observe.

One point must be made: it was a lucky shot for the enemy, and horrible luck for our aviators and passengers aboard the Chinook. RPGs are generally not the best weapon to be used on a moving helicopter, at night or in the daytime, as they tend to drift from a straight line during flight. Sadly, that will be little consolation to the families of our lost troops.

August 10, 2011 at 9:40 am | Reply
      • Dreamer96

Pragmatic

Yes it is sad it was just a lucky shot, and I'm responding soo late you probably will never read this, but considered an infrared scanner controlled by a computer with imagine scanning software and hardware, capable of scanning all the view below the helo in one spin of the detector, much like a missle seeker head, looking for hot spots and movement on the ground, tied to the machine gun aiming controls, like the helmet mounted missile control for the off boresight targeting systems. Something should be done...should be tried, I used to work with some pretty tallented designers that could rapid prototype a test system..

August 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  21. Concerned

As commander of the US forces, President gets the credit when something goes good (taking down Osama in a rather smooth operation) and when something goes bad, like this one.
    Concerned citizens demand answers for the following questions:
    Did the SEALS not clear the area before returning? DId the helicopter linger at low altitude for a long time making it an easy target? WHy were so many highly trained SEALs in one chopper making it a highy valuable target?

August 8, 2011 at 9:28 am | Reply
    • ladydi

Their families deserve an answer as to WHY were so many of the Seals in one chooper? Sounds like someone in a high position ordered it.....their deaths are on that person's head – of couirse, only if that person has feelings.....may those brave men RIP – and my prayers and thoughts go out to their loved ones........

August 8, 2011 at 9:41 am | Reply
    • H

That was probably the most insightful comment on this thread. As a civilian, I never would have thought of those questions. It almost sounds suspicious.

August 8, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
  22. JOE

Impeach George W. Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Chaney, Colin Powell and Condeeliza Rice for abandoning and prolonging the Afghan war to wage their illegitimate Iraqi war. These senseless deaths are on their hands! Too bad none of their drunkard sons or daughters died in that helicopter crash. But as they say, what goes around, comes around and your's are coming.

August 8, 2011 at 9:20 am | Reply
    • brendan obrien

This is sarcasm right? These people aren't even in office anymore, where the hell have you been living for the past three years?

August 8, 2011 at 9:26 am | Reply
    • futurelawyer2005

you are the biggest M0R0N...these people haven't been in office for 2.5 years....impeach them???? go crawl back under your rock

August 8, 2011 at 9:33 am | Reply
    • Bates

Yea !!! Impeach people who haven't been in office in over 3 years! That will show them! That will show everyone who is no longer running the country, um... how to run the country?

Ok in all seriousness, are you a drug addict?

August 8, 2011 at 9:46 am | Reply
    • Zuloo

What is it going to do with George Bush? How stupid you are. Did you ever ask why OBUMA sent these seals there????? did you ever asked why OBUMA continue sending our troop there??? He should have send them home 2 years ago. Did George Bush sent these Seals there???? The person should be impeach is OBUMA, JO BIDEN and the whole administration. If they continue occupy the White House the more troops are going to be killed. What a MORON.

August 8, 2011 at 9:47 am | Reply
    • Sulaiman

Right on JOE. Impeach them.

But I am DISGUSTED by the cruelty of the American soldier in that chopper.

Sickos!

August 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Reply
      • ranger 830

HEY shit for brains dont your jihadist muslim a hole brothers leave their families to go and die for a dispicable hateful make beleave god? You dont know doodly squat about what it is we do!!!! Enjoy your right to free speeach while you can!!! Without people like us you may very well loose it somday idiot !!!!!!!!! Suliman yeah sounds American your lucky im in an overseas AO. DOUCHFAG!!!!!

August 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  23. petercha

A very big THANK YOU from this civilian to all our men and women in the armed forces. You are greatly respected and appreciated. And my condolences to the families and friends of those who lost loved ones in this evil islamic attack.

August 8, 2011 at 9:19 am | Reply
  24. Sulaiman

I WANT AN ANSWER NOW!

How could someone agree to get stuffed in a white elephant with 38 other humans and head for the firing range?

What kind of a brain would accept that?

ANSWER ME!

August 8, 2011 at 9:17 am | Reply
    • no brainer

Apparently someone with no brain such as you.

August 8, 2011 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • David

The same type of person willing to run into a crumbling building to save the people inside who need help (a great example are the FDNY on 9/11 and any other number of heros running around this country). Clearly, you wouldn’t understand because you are a useless cockroach who couldn’t (or wouldn’t) lift a finger to help anyone who needed it. But you'll lift a finger (all ten of them, in fact) to type a bunch a crap disrespecting those heroes.

August 8, 2011 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • ranger 830

You would not understand you cowardly little sheep!!!! Bah Bah Bah !!!!!

August 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
  25. Mark C

No Jim, you are wrong. There is NO DIRECT CORRELATION between the loss of 22 football players or baseball players regardless of what awards they had won. To make that kind of comparison is insulting to all service members, active, former, and retired. Professional athletes are nothing more than spoiled, over paid sissies when it comes to our men and women of the military.

No, comparing the loss of these men, and every member of our armed forces for that matter, to anything less than losing 22 individual copies of Superman is an insult.

With your being "from a long established military family", I suggest you look deep into the hearts of your own family members to find the soul of what it really means to be paid low wages, attempt to raise a family, and oh, by the way, go out and lay down your life. With the exception of Pat Tillman, none of these "elite athletes" would ever surrender all of their riches and spoils to do that.

Semper Fi

August 8, 2011 at 9:10 am | Reply
    • JAM

Semper Fi

August 8, 2011 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • futurelawyer2005

oorah

August 8, 2011 at 9:35 am | Reply
    • Andrew in Philly

This is a tragic loss for our country and words cannot begin to convey the sacrifice that was made or the loss that will be felt by our country or families of these great soldiers. Godspeed. Thank you all service members for doing your duty in a selfless manner. RLTW.

August 8, 2011 at 9:45 am | Reply
      • SPC. Chris Roderick

Thank you Andrew, being a veteran, that truly does mean a lot to people like me.

August 8, 2011 at 9:53 am |
  26. Zenichi-Maro

Meh. Who cares.

Seriously. I'm not going to waste tears crying over a bunch of dead soldiers who signed up to go to a foreign country and kill its occupants for no reason at all (other than GWB's thirst for revenge). These people are nothing more than trained killers who look forward to killing. The fact that they get killed is very unremarkable and nothing to venerate. Yes, it's sad; the same way it's sad when someone sticks a needle in their arm and shoots heroin. But it's their choice to do stupid, dangerous things, and so their death is unremarkable.

But keep telling yourselves that they fight for your freedom while your government slowly takes whatever vestiges of freedom you actually have. Keep telling yourself that they're heroes as they slaughter brown skinned people thousands of miles away. Keep telling yourself that, but it doesn't make it true.

Dead soldiers. Who cares.

NEXT!

August 8, 2011 at 9:03 am | Reply
    • naytasha

your just a dumbass and probably a terrorist ur damn self. just lame

August 8, 2011 at 9:09 am | Reply
      • Mark

It's funny I am an American and I agree with some of his points so I must be a terroist?? My father servered this shit hole country for 21 years and what happened he died of cancer promoted from agent orange which the goverment used in Vietnam. The goverment sucks ass and so do you.

August 8, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • Loni

You are a sick sick person, please go get help.

August 8, 2011 at 9:14 am | Reply
    • E

You IGNORANT S O B. Very childish to write something so stupid just for reaction. I guess it worked, but you really are an idiot writing something like that safely behind your computer. Why don't you go do something worthwhile and actually contribute to society.

August 8, 2011 at 9:15 am | Reply
    • VB

I think it is terrible you can talk like that about your fellow man. Especially men who have faught diligently for your country. Maybe you should offer up your life to make this world a better place.

August 8, 2011 at 9:15 am | Reply
    • Chris

pretty long post for someone who doesn't care Zenichi-Maro...and how repulsive...I guess your sympathies lie with the brown-skinned people when they slaughter non-brown-skinned people, is that it?

August 8, 2011 at 9:20 am | Reply
      • Chris

ah, now I feel bad. That idiot is probably having a great time right now getting so many responses to his/her post. Probably better to ignore...kind of like that crazy, smelly person in the Subway looking at you weird 🙂

August 8, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • Jeremy

You hit the nail on the head. The military doesnt protect our freedom. Last I checked this country has never been invaded.. Except by mexicans

August 8, 2011 at 9:22 am | Reply
    • virginian

One look at your name tells me you are not an American. May you rot in hell.

August 8, 2011 at 9:22 am | Reply
      • Zenichi-Maro

And one look at yours tells me you're an ignorant hillbilly racist a-hole. I mean, if you can reach outrageous conclusions about my nation of origin based on my name, may I not engage in the same random speculation based on yours?

In point of fact, I am an American and have been all my life. So, get over your preconceived notions and open your eyes to a different point of view. Stop believing what you're told, Virginian. The army follows the flag; the flag folllows the money. These people are not heroes, they're patsies.

August 8, 2011 at 9:27 am |
    • Zenichi-Maro

Oh, gosh, did I step on your meme? Gee, did I disrespect the convenient narrative that you tell yourselves every day? The reason you haters react the way you do is because I speak the truth. And it hurts. Get over it.

I **DO** have regard for my fellow man, but I am hard-pressed to find any sympathy for my fellow men (and women) who make a choice to enter a killing profession. If this was a draft, I'd very likely think differently, but these people signed up for it, drank the Kool Aid, and are convinced that somehow engaging in wars of opportunity and empire building is actually serving their nation. This while people who DO make a contribution to society–like teachers, fire fighters, EMTs, construction workers, line cooks, and the like–have to do with less and less so that we can continue pumping 52% of our tax dollars into the military.

And I'm the sick one? Whatever. I'm happy to be a contributing member of society; as a teacher and organic farmer, I guarantee I've done more for my nation than one dude who thinks its cool to play Rambo and shoot people in foreign lands.

I will not apologise for my remarks, nor will I retreat from them. A person who signs up for the PROFESSIONAL MILITARY is taking a known risk and is joining an organisation that is nothing more and nothing less than the enforcement arm of a dying empire.

August 8, 2011 at 9:23 am | Reply
      • James

As a veteran I would enjoy 5 minutes locked in a room with you. While in service we give up many freedoms to protect yours and this is your gratitude. Do the world a favor and suck on the business end of a .45

August 8, 2011 at 9:36 am |
      • Zenichi-Maro

Yo, James: You wouldn't last three minutes with me. But, if you're that interested and that brave, go ahead and post me your e-mail addy. We'll set something up.

As for sucking the business end of something, I'm sure you're good at that, too. (See? It's easy to just talk smack to someone you've never met!)

August 8, 2011 at 9:40 am |
      • Robert

The men and women who wear our nation's uniform give you the freedom to spout your hate on the Internet. You would do well to remember that.

As for a "killing profession", yes, our military is called on to kill. I'm happy rough men (and women) stand ready to do violence on my behalf. I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that they are out there on the line.

And yes, I'll echo the comments of others. This old paratrooper would dearly love five minutes in a locked room with you. An attitude adjustment is seriously in order.

August 8, 2011 at 9:52 am |
      • Sheri

Zenichi-Maro: I'm curious, you state you're born and bred here in the United States. Why do you spell like you're from Europe, e.g., organisation, apologise? Since the beginning of time nations have been at war, and I for one am proud of our military and understand that we enjoy the freedoms many other countries only dream as a result of gaining our independence as a nation, yes thru revolution. If we weren't just a great country so many people from other countries wouldn't immigrate here.

August 8, 2011 at 10:24 am |
      • Arigatomj

These posts just remind me of what a great country we live in here in the US. Regardless of how you feel about the comments expressed in this thread, at least we are able to express our opinions in a public forum. In many countries in this world, people do not have this freedom.

August 8, 2011 at 10:26 am |
      • Bledsoe

"I will not apologise for my remarks, nor will I retreat from them. "

So, you claim to be a US citizen, yet, you spell apologize with an s? What US school teaches you the traditionally British use of "s" in place of the "z" or "zed"? One point of evidence for you not being an American. Your clear hatred for the US is another point of evidence for you being from some country of origin other than the US. Name, who knows, we're a melting pot in the US. We WILL take your sick, your unwanted and your huddled masses, provided they don't come with the veiled intentions to destroy this country that wants to take in all peoples who are unwanted elsewhere.
        So go back to your "organic garden" and continue to preach your hate and vile filth, or as you call it "teaching". People of your ilk are no better than the people of the KKK. You're disregard for the founding principles of this country are just as derelict as the thought that black people are no better than animals. Both groups can kiss mine and my countries ass as we pay tribute to our fallen soldiers.

August 8, 2011 at 10:38 am |
      • virginian

you still will rot in hell. all the more for being an American and having an attitude like you have. You should move. You are not wanted here. by anyone. I live in Virginia, proud to be and American, Blessed to have these Seals working for my freedom – if you don't like Your Freedom – leave. Noone will miss your sorry excuse for a life.

August 8, 2011 at 10:57 am |
      • Zenichi-Maro

So, spelling makes me American or not? Hmmmm...Interesting. For what it's worth: Born in the US, went all the way to 10th grade in the US, then moved to the UK with my family when my father took a position with a firm in London. Finished HS in the UK and went to universirty there. Developed some habits of grammar as a result. Moved back stateside about 15 years ago. But, I'm sure this makes me somehow less than American...all that perspective and learning and stuff.

August 8, 2011 at 11:12 am |
      • ranger 830

An active duty army Ranger says your a puss put your money where your mouth is I promise i will school you boy ! Yeah i said boy!!!!! No one with anything hard would talk so much shit. Your a puss who stands for nothing but your own self intrest and agenda coward pm me and lets get together bitch i will be home in two weeks from afghanistan.Put up or shut up COWARD PROB BETTER FOR YOU TO STAY HIDDEN BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER!!!! would not want you to hurt yourself.

August 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
      • HxC19D

This Scout, he wouldn't see in the locked room 😉

August 10, 2011 at 6:38 am |
    • KC

As the mother of a Marine currently serving in the middle-east I find your comments highly offensive! If we were not in the middle-east right now disrupting the terrorists and their training camps we would have already had another day like 9-11. You look in the eyes of their family and their brothers in uniform and tell them it doesn't matter and they are just training killers. You have not seen the than anguish on their faces when they come home and have to live with the things they have seen and been asked to do. Unless you are willing to put on the uniform of this country's military and walk beside better men than you keep your negative comments to yourself.

Sleep well American, my Marine has your back.

August 8, 2011 at 9:26 am | Reply
      • Zenichi-Maro

I don't know who to feel more bad for: you as the parent of someone in the military or your son who chose that as a profession. The strenuous disagreement I have with you, however, is the notion that your son is defending America. He's not. He's a patsy for the oligarchs in Washington who will build empire on his bones and fuel it with his blood. You want to protect America? BRING HIM HOME. You want to protect America? STOP WAGING WARS OF OPPORTUNITY. The sad truth is your son bought the lie that his service is somehow helping his nation. It's not. I respect his life enough to tell him–to his face if I could–that he's making a huge mistake.

I believe in defending my nation, and the moment someone sets foot on our shores to do us harm, I'll be first in line with a rifle to defend my countrymen. That's what is meant in the Constitution about a well-armed militia being required for the defence of the nation. Our professional military is NOT what the founders had in mind, and funding the professional military (52% of our discretionary budget) is a large part of what's killing this country's domestic budget.

Cheers,
        ZNM

August 8, 2011 at 9:38 am |
      • Jess

But they are defending the country. Have you forgotten 9/11? Our men and women in the military are the reason it's been nearly 10 years since America was attacked on our soil, however, we were attacked. We are at war to prevent further attacks. Without the men and women in the military you wouldn't be allowed to speak your opinion on what shoes to wear today, much less your anti-american anti-military rhetoric. You are entitled to your opinion, but before you say who cares about dead soldiers keep in mind that first and foremost they are someone's loved ones and human beings. Compassion for a lost life should be enough to keep your mouth shut and to show some respect to the families of those who's lives were lost. I pity you your narrow view on life and your lack of compassion towards humanity in general, but how dare you say all that you have, and especially to a mother of a soldier who is right now fighting for his country, her country, my country, and yes, even your country.

August 8, 2011 at 10:18 am |
      • Melody

I second Jess entirely. I somehow doubt individuals like Kenichi have forgotten 9/11, they just choose to omit inconvenient truths that negate their misguided and offensive opinions.

Kenichi – I am embarassed for your lack of decency and the poor breeding you show by dishonoring these brave servicemen and their now grieving families. Get some couth, please.

August 8, 2011 at 10:38 am |
      • Zenichi-Maro

To Jess: Nope. Sorry. Afghanistan had zero to do with 9/11, and the criminal acts of 11 people from Saudi Arabia should not have led to kinetic warfare in Afghanistan (where empires go to die). The fact that you conflate wars of opportunity with wars of defence merely proves my point that we are being sold a bill of goods by the oligarchs who send these people off to their deaths. You are drunk on the Kool Aid.

If my comments offend, it is as intended. I think the majority of people in this country NEED to be offended when it comes to the militarization of our nation. I think it is HIGHLY offensive that we spend so much time and energy convincing our children and ourselves that there is nobility is offensive military action. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am a citizen and a patriot, but I would be undermining myself as both if I bought the lie that our professional military is good for our country. Read Eisenhower's (sp?) speech on military spending. Read his farewell address. He was the first to understand–well, the first president, anyway–the deleterious effect that militarization has on democracy. Soviet Union, anyone? China?

Hate my comments all you want, but we share–I hope–a love of country. I love my country. I loathe my government. I wish my fellow citizens would stop signing up to defend the government at the cost of the country.

Cheers,
        ZNM

August 8, 2011 at 11:03 am |
      • Jess

ZNM,

I'm not going to go back and forth with you all day as there is no need to. You are so very convinced of your own opinions, however opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has them. Let me just leave you with this, as you keep saying you are a patriot:

Definition of PATRIOT : one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests. Did you notice the part where it says a patriot supports the country's authority? Just wanted to point that out.

Now look at the definition of treason: treason [tree-zuhn] : a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.

Perhaps now sit back and look in the mirror.

My best, Jess

August 8, 2011 at 11:16 am |

Jess:

So, the military is now my sovereign? My allegiance should be to the professional military and NOT my nation? You have an interesting point of view, one that would be welcomed in China.

As to your defnition of patriotism, I disagree. I do not have to be obedient to authority to be a patriot; I have to love and defend my nation. As in:

1. A person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

In my mind, the blind veneration of the military and the blind support of military adventurism is the enemy. So, we can agree to disagree. But know one thing: When the chips are down and someone is *actually* on our shores and threatening this great nation, I will be there to defend it. I will not sit back and wait for the "heroes" to show up. I will pick up my rifle and defend my land.

That's all for now. I'm tired of this discussion and have bean beetles to pick off...

August 8, 2011 at 11:32 am |
      • David

@Zenichi-MORON:
        Ahh, Zenichi, reading your posts sheds light about your mental condition: you spent up to 10th grade in the US and completed school in the UK, then moved back to the US. You disruption in basic education explains your ignorance and general confusion of reality. You see, about 230-some years ago, the American Colonists told King George III to take his unfair taxes and “shove it.” I believe you missed out on that part since you left American high school for UK schooI. I cannot blame you for being an idiot anymore than I would blame a dog who was beaten and trained to attack anything. You are a product of your conditioning and upbringing, and you lack the ability to think objectively, which is what makes you an animal. You see, regular humans can comprehend objectively between all facts and information. This is what separates the animals from Humans. And juding from your comments posted here, you are CLEARLY not a human, but a STUPID animal.

"Im sick of this discussion and have bean beatles to pick off." Bean beatles. Really dude. Just....wow......I mean......HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! You are a LOSER! THank you for making it obvouis that my post about you being 1 or 2 were wrong, you are are just a wack-O! ALL OTHER POSTERS, PLEASE READ AND IGNORE THIS TROLL! LMAO!!!!! BEan beetles!

August 8, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Dave

+1, couldnt have said it better myself Zenichi, great post!

August 8, 2011 at 9:29 am | Reply
    • Steve

Thank you! Doesn't mean you're not American if you believe this, it just means you see through the BS. I completely agree, they are NOT heroes.

August 8, 2011 at 9:35 am | Reply
      • Robert

@Steve So our dead servicemen are not heroes? Really? Seriously? Let me guess. You've likely never worn the uniform and wouldn't have a clue. You can spout your BS because these men and women stand ready to defend your right to do so, even when you disparage them with your remarks.

August 8, 2011 at 9:56 am |
    • futurelawyer2005

You must be one of those sick f-ing Westboro Baptist church retards. Go shoot yourself and do natural selection a favor. Better yet, comment on your own d*** country's stories since you are very clearly a foreign national and your opinion about the US isn't worth my dog's sh1t. If by some magical chance you ARE a US citizen, then I repeat my instructions regarding natural selection. There's 330 million of us....you WON'T be missed.

August 8, 2011 at 9:41 am | Reply
      • Zenichi-Maro

Feel better now, Future? Get it all out of your system? Good. Good. Now go back to your normal life of believing the fairy tales they tell you in school. Go on believing that war will bring peace and that slavery is freedom. Go on. It'll be okay. The nice government official over there will help you.

August 8, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • ladydi

may you rot and burn in hell for your thoughtless comments........your a complete azzhole......... crawl in a corner and die....

August 8, 2011 at 9:44 am | Reply
      • Steve

Your comment was more inappropriate and hateful than his comment, by a longshot.

August 8, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • pazzel

troll, whatever. what a loser. go learn some history or something so that you understand how uniquely placed you are to make such ignorant comments. you take your freedoms for granted. just remember, many people fought and died for your privilege. you just don't get it or understand it because of the era you were born in. back off, pls, keep your ignorance to yourself. I guarantee that the generation after you will not take as much for granted.

August 8, 2011 at 9:54 am | Reply
      • Lutfi

Posted on Webmaster, I am the admin at . We profile SEO Plugins for WordPress blogs for on-site and off-site SEO. I'd like to tnviie you to check out our recent profile for a pretty amazing plugin which can double or triple traffic for a Worpdress blog. You can delete this comment, I didn't want to comment on your blog, just wanted to drop you a personal message. Thanks, Rich

March 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • "DOC"

Here dumby dumby........btw we are not killers.......I am far from a killer. I go to church. I don't lose sleep over the fact that i have taken a life of an individual who has trained his entire life to kill Americans.....the very person you are. I am a combat Corpsman and I am damn proud to be where I am and to support my Marines. I would go anywhere with my platoon.....oh and all of these so called killers are god fearing, country loving, family oriented, red blooded Americans who do this job not because of the pay or the so called glory of having ptsd or a limb missing.....they do it because of the guys next to them and the family they left home and the country the love.......so you can take your stupid self assuring comments and shove them wherever you think is best or most comfortable for you while the rest of us are standing gaurd.......sleep tight princess......don't worry the enemy won't bite......fricken right wing hippy

August 16, 2011 at 9:56 am | Reply
  27. naytasha

i am sadden by all this because me as an active duty member and my husband is a seal over there. im just trying to be patient to learn his status. so to keep goin back and forth over here is just ridiculous. rip to those fallen and families have been notified and i pray to god my man is ok.

August 8, 2011 at 9:03 am | Reply
    • swimmom

First, thank you and your husband for your service and I pray he is ok. Secondly, don't listen to the MORONS posting on here. I can only hope that they are actually sitting in another country or at the very least are not actual US citizens. Thanks again to all those fighting "over there" to help keep the fight "not over here".

August 8, 2011 at 9:25 am | Reply
    • pazzel

your man is loved and respected by all educated Americans. ignore the trolls... its an internet phenomenon, not reality.

August 8, 2011 at 9:57 am | Reply
    • "DOC"

HOOYAH Ma'am!!!!!!!!!

V/r

DOC

August 16, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
  28. jim in Texas

Pat Tillman got his head blown off by his own guy. Actually, the guy that no one liked (except for Tillman) in the squad. Tillman's commander stated that if Tillman and his family were "good Christians" that they would just accept that his death was meaningful and move on. Instead, they are agnostic and wouldn't let the issue go until they discovered the truth. Christians make good soldiers because they believe in an afterlife.

August 8, 2011 at 9:01 am | Reply
  29. Bubblehead

There are those of us who served and are serving and those of YOU who have NOT served. TO be able to respond to anything pertaining to the Military... if you did not Serve... You do not deserve....

August 8, 2011 at 9:01 am | Reply
    • Zenichi-Maro

Whatever, dude. I thought you profeshunal killas were out there defending our First Amendment rights. Now you think because you signed up to kill people that you somehow enjoy special rights? Up yours, Rambo. I am sick to death of this nation's fascination with you and your kind. Go to Iraq and kill some brown skinned people. I'm sure your pecker will rise and your ego will be soothed.

Dead soldiers. Who cares.

August 8, 2011 at 9:05 am | Reply
      • VB

Go back to Morocco and leave us alone.

August 8, 2011 at 9:19 am |
      • Bill

Whatever dude? I hope the drugs you are on take you down and when you are gome we will all use your line "who cares".

August 8, 2011 at 9:23 am |
      • Suzyq

Zenichi-Maro.... Find another country where you can say what you want, when you want.... You being such a miserable unhappy human being, do us all a favor and leave..... Get the hell out of our country. Maybe then you'll appreciate what you had here.

August 8, 2011 at 9:37 am |
      • ladydi

you must be a stinking muslim............

August 8, 2011 at 9:46 am |
      • LOL

I may not necessarily agree with Z-M, but wow, I think he exposed a lot of people here for being even more hateful than he is.

August 8, 2011 at 10:20 am |
      • E

You are hilarious Zen-Mar....as part of the military family I know for a fact no one joins with dreams of killing people. Go hug your tree and get a life. Be pissed at our leadership not the men and women who sign the dotted line to feed their family and love their country.

August 8, 2011 at 10:30 am |
      • David

You wrote in previous posts: "Killas? Yo?" You ARE one of two things:

1. Far left wing Mentally retarded loser.
        2. Immature 14 yr old computer troll who writes crap to antagonize good people.

But both 1 and 2 have something in common: They are both a complete waste of life whose whole existance would not amount to a day in the lives of Americans who have gone forward to serve this great nation. Im from SE Asia, and have been to 18 countries from Europe to Asia, and this place (for all its flaws) is still better than Ukraine or China or Mexico. And yet we still have people like you on CNN making idiotic comments. Please be a 14 yr old kid who is just being a idiot, it would explain a lot.

August 8, 2011 at 10:39 am |
      • Zenichi-Maro

LMAO...y'all are funny. Calling me a muslim. Telling me to go back to Morocco. As if a born-and-bred American couldn't have arrived at the same conclusions. Classic. And your racism is showing. Stinking Muslim? Really? So classy.

You might want to settle yourselves with the notion that a person who lives in this country and LOVES this country might have some serious problems with how the militarization of our people is actually DESTROYING this country. It's really sad that these guys signed up to defend a lie, but it's even sadder how many of you are so quick with your kneejerk racism and stupidity that you cannot even bear to talk thoughtfully to someone who thinks differently than you. Stop venerating the sheep, and start looking seriously at the wolves who send them to slaughter.

August 8, 2011 at 10:51 am |
      • E

"start looking seriously at the wolves who send them to slaughter" Follow your own advice. It all started with your ridiculous comments about military "killers" and how you don't care that they died. If you don't care, don't read the damn article, and definitely keep your disrespectful comments to yourself.

August 8, 2011 at 11:11 am |
      • HxC19D

Back when I joined I vividly remember being asked if I wanted to go to war to kill people and a few times during my scout OSUT training as well. I thought it an odd question, but I know now that they would have separated anyone who started showing signs or voiced some opinion wanting to do just that. They want us to be efficient and get a job done with an actual fear of what "could" happen just like this incident, not a force of bloodthirsty liabilities striving for personal satisfaction and immortality. It doesn't take a genius to understand that the latter would be more damaging for everyone.

August 10, 2011 at 6:30 am |
  30. Sweetpea

What is the saddest & most upsetting about the comparison of these TRUE HEROS to simple athelets is that if this had happened to an airplane full of professional football, baseball or basketball players there would be not stop 24/7 TV coverage of this on ALL networks. You would not be able to escape it. Everywhere you turned you would hear more stories about them. All 22 of their funerals would be televised live. A National day of mourning would be declared.

August 8, 2011 at 8:56 am | Reply
  31. JOE

AS AN AMERICAN VOTER, I HAVE A MESSAGE TO THE PRESENT AND PROSPECTIVE FUTURE REPUBLICAN AND TEA PARTY LEADERS AND CANDIDATES. IF YOU WISH TO DESTROY AMERICA, THEN GO ON AND KEEP RUNNING FOR OFFICE BECAUSE THERE'S ENOUGH DUMB AMERICANS OUT THERE WHO ARE DYING TO VOTE FOR YOU. FOR EXAMPLE, YOU RAN THIS COUNTRY INTO THE GROUND FOR 8 YEARS WITH YOUR FAILED AND MISGUIDED POLICIES AND YOU MURDERED 4,000 US TROOPS IN COLD BLOOD IN IRAQ AND WHAT WAS YOUR PUNISHMENT? THE DUMB AMERICAN PEOPLE GAVE YOU THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE BY A LANDSLIDE SO YOU CAN CREATE MORE ROADBLOCKS FOR THE BLACK PRESIDENT . WELL, ONLY IN AMERICA.

AND WHAT DID THESE SAME VOTERS SAID WHEN BIN LADEN WAS KILLED? THEY SAID BIG DEAL AND MANY OF THEM WERE SADDENED AND REMOURSEFUL THAT BIN LADEN WAS DEAD. YES, THESE ILL CONCEITED UNPATRIOTIC, UN-AMERICAN COMMUNISTS. SO AS A REPUBLICAN OR TEA PARTY POLITICIAN, IF YOU WANT TO DESTROY AMERICA, KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING, THER'S ENOUGH UNPATRIOTIC UN-AMERICAN IDIOTS WAITING OUT THERE TO VOTE FOR YOU.

I JUST CAN'T FORGET THE AMERICAN WOMAN CARRYING A BANNER FOR THE TEA PARTY IN WASHINGTON DC PRIOR TO THE MIDTERM ELECTION AND THE BANNER READ... "OBAMA IS AFRAID OF AN EDUCATED VOTER." HOW IRONIC! JUST IMAGINE SUPPORTING AND VOTING FOR THE GOP THAT JUST RAN THIS COUNTRY INTO THE GROUND FOR 8 YEARS. SO WHO IS REALLY EDUCATED OR RATHER UNEDUCATED HERE? AND WHO IS THE JOKE REALLY ON HERE? REMEMBER THE SAYING, "UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL? OR BETTER YET, "ONE NATION UNDER GOD?" WELL, THESE PEOPLE DON'T BELIEVE IN COUNTRY AND IN AMERICA. AND NEIGHER DO THE POLITICIANS THEY VOTE FOR. BUT JUST KEEP UP WITH THE STATUS QUO AND SEE HOW FAR AMERICA GOES FROM HERE. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

August 8, 2011 at 8:53 am | Reply
    • petercha

The only ones destroying America, Joe, are the liberals and those who hate Christ.

August 8, 2011 at 9:21 am | Reply
      • JoebobCat

What about us liberals who don't believe in your christ?

In the end it is religion that will do us in. If people are so foolish as to stake their lives on an ill-founded faith that lies beyond reason, we can't expect them to use the reason necessary to avoid slaughtering themselves and each other. It's funny how powerful a myth can be. The religious zealots who pray for the end of the world will get their self-fulfilling prophecy by destroying the world themselves. I am blown away at the fact that so many Americans can demand so much freedom, and yet work so hard to force their ridiculous gods down our throats, and their willingness to kill those who believe in a different ridiculous god.

August 8, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • Why Use Facts

Wow, where to start with such a misguided rambling message? There are so many ignorant statements to pick from, but I will make it easy and just ask one question. Why do you feel the need to point out that Obama is black? Do you think the Republicans would give a white Democrat president who is trying to push the same liberal agenda a pass? Would they accept the liberal policies from a white president? Did they accept any liberal policies from Clinton without fighting them? What does race have to do with anything. You seem to think that race is a deciding factor, anyone who only looks at race is obviously racist, and it appears to me from your post that you fit that category. I am sure you won't answer, but please at least take what I said into consideration. It may allow you to look less ignorant in future posts. Have a good day.

August 8, 2011 at 9:32 am | Reply
      • futurelawyer2005

Don't worry about any part of that post. I'm surprise you read even more than a fraction of it...since the ID10T clearly loves his caps-lock button hahaha

August 8, 2011 at 9:46 am |
    • pazzel

sorry dude, its not all one sides fault. partisans never have it right.

August 8, 2011 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • Ash1

Joe you are so right. The Republican/Tea Party prey on the ignorant, uneducated, religious people. All they have to do is bring up non issues like gay marriage and abortion and watch them come!! It is a joke. What these people don't realize is the Republicans do nothing for them but laugh and take their money.

August 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  32. Ed in Texas

This article is insulting to the 8 other soldiers who were killed in this incident "...line up 22 pairs of boots"...essentially forget the 8 others. The author comes from a family of soldiers, but knows nothing about soldiering other than what is read in books.

August 8, 2011 at 8:48 am | Reply
  33. skidog26

Sorry spikette. I meant to say "I couldn't agree with you more". Sorry for the typo.

August 8, 2011 at 8:46 am | Reply
  34. ch

Beer swilling skirt chasers? What movies are you watching? Baseball and football players (most of whom are paid millions of dollars a year)? For an article trying to pay tribute to Navy SEALS, you did a hell of a job insulting them over and over again.

August 8, 2011 at 8:44 am | Reply
    • pazzel

he meant well. i noticed that the article was a bit off too. he is probably a sports fan using a sports analogy to compare his love and respect for sports heros to our troops. the thing he didnt get is that not everyone has the same respect for sports as he does. he used the thing he loves most to explain the tragedy... its very forgivable, if a bit narrow in vision and understanding.

August 8, 2011 at 10:03 am | Reply
  35. skidog26

Spikette...I couldn't agree with you. Comparing the death of any man or woman from the military to the death of professional athletes is just plain IGNORANT. I watch the news everyday and when I hear news such as this it almost always chokes me up to think about what the surviving family members will have to endure. Any loss of human life is terrible but some comparisons, such as this, SHOULD NOT BE SAID OR MADE. RIP American Warriors

August 8, 2011 at 8:43 am | Reply
  36. Chaz

I take some offense to comparing SEALS to professional athletes. Professional athletes are nothing more than overpaid celebrities and does nothing to make our country better other than give us something to watch on television during the week. Their biggest contribution is to the media conglomerates. A SEAL is a SEAL full time, year round, and for the risk they take they are not rewarded with millionaire playboy status. You do these dead soldiers a disservice by pretending a Heisman trophy winner has every contributed anything worthwhile to our country or our society in comparison to a Navy Seal.

August 8, 2011 at 8:41 am | Reply
    • soltaire123

Come on man, CNN has been doing a decent job of paying tribute to these guys

August 8, 2011 at 8:43 am | Reply
  37. Rasty

We took an oath to defend and protect.
    You have shown honor and integrity.
    USAF Pj's Salute you.
    "So others may live"

August 8, 2011 at 8:41 am | Reply
    • soltaire123

Rasty,
      As was captured in the film Blackhawk Down, when it comes down to it, politics aside, the fight is about the men on our left and right. Folks here in the US will not understand, cannot understand. Take, for instance, the commentary posted to some of these forums – our own citizens criticizing and poking fun at the deaths in this raid. That being said, it is for us to savor the pride that comes only from serving alongside the brotherhood. "Don't tread on me"

August 8, 2011 at 8:48 am | Reply
      • Zenichi-Maro

Wow. You type really well one-handed, since you were obviously jer***g off when you wrote that...

August 8, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  38. God Bless Them All

You're comparing them to football players? Seriously? – Not even close.

August 8, 2011 at 8:38 am | Reply
  39. dragon

Are they being compared to baseball players? If they are then I think it's about time to finally start boycotting CNN. That is an insult to all the men and women in the service risking their lives on the line every second of the day, but their best comparison is a bunch of losers in the MLB.

August 8, 2011 at 8:33 am | Reply
    • Bert

Get over yourself. It's not about your faux outrage. It's about these dead heroes. We do our best to honor or fallen the best we can. Sometimes words fall short.

August 8, 2011 at 8:40 am | Reply
    • HxC19D

The whole point was the author trying to convey the sense of this loss to people like you who wouldn't understand in everyday terms.

August 10, 2011 at 6:15 am | Reply
  40. Sulaiman

But how could someone agree to get stuffed in a white elephant with 38 other humans and head for the firing range?

What kind of a brain would accept that?

August 8, 2011 at 8:32 am | Reply
    • Jeff in Illinois

Keep trying.

August 8, 2011 at 8:36 am | Reply
    • soltaire123

Because of a devotion and dedication to country and people like you. Something your brain can accept, thus you sit in your comfortable home in your comfortable chair criticizing heroes

August 8, 2011 at 8:41 am | Reply
    • HxC19D

Because they've probably done it a hundred times before smoothly and you never knew?

August 10, 2011 at 6:11 am | Reply