Ghulam Haidar Hamidi, the mayor of Afghanistan's Kandahar city, was killed in a suicide bomb attack Wednesday, the latest in a series of recent high-profile assassinations the Taliban have taken responsibility for.
The mayor was killed during a city hall meeting in the provincial capital when explosives detonated inside the turban of his attacker, according to Zalmai Ayoubi, a spokesman for the Kandahar governor's office.
In 2010, CNN's Jill Dougherty got a behind-the-scenes look at the mayor and city hall:
Compiled by CNN's Tim Lister
Today's Security Brief includes:
* Al Qaeda central "close to collapse"
* Mayor of Kandahar assassinated – latest in series of killings
* Breivik's online favorites
* Breivik manual may help others make bombs
* UK recognizes TNC as Libyan govt
* Hill hearings dominated by fears for defense readiness
* "40" Americans fighting for Shabaab in Somalia, says Rep King