June 15th, 2011
01:49 PM ET

Gates makes good on promise to end controversial policy

From nearly the beginning of his tenure as Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates has set his sights on ending a controversial practice in the U.S. Army known as "stop loss." Wednesday he announced he's done it.

"There are no Army soldiers stop lossed," Gates announced at a Senate hearing.

"Stop loss" is the Pentagon's policy of involuntary extending some the active duty status of some service members beyond their initial end of term of service (ETS) date. It's used during times when the Pentagon needs as many troops as possible, like at the start of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.

As far back as 2007, just months after taking over as defense secretary, Gates said about stop loss "It is an issue. It troubles me. And I think it is a strain. "

But he couldn't eliminate it because tens of thousands of soldiers, many of them experienced sergeants would have left the Army if not for stop loss. But by March of 2009, he announced that the practice would be phased out by 2011.

And according to Army spokesman, Lt. Col. Timothy Beninato, as of May 31st there are no more soldiers under stop loss, except for approximately 131 soldiers who were previously stop lossed and are now hospitalized or receiving rehabilitation resulting from wounds or illness incurred while on duty in a hostile fire area.

One way Gates was able to get rid of stop loss was by increasing the number of soldiers in the Army as a whole, to 570,000 active duty soldiers. But now that number will soon go down as well. Beginning in 2015, Gates said , that the Army should be able to reduce its end strength by 27,000 soldiers.

All told, about 120,000 soldiers were subjected to stop loss orders. Under federal law, each of them is entitled to $500 for each month they were stop-lossed. Of those 120,000 soldiers, about 14,000 still haven't filed a claim for the money they are entitled to.

The Defense Department has a web site that makes filing a claim for stop loss pay very easy: http://www.defense.gov/stoploss.

Post by:
Filed under: Gates • Military • Secretary of Defense
soundoff (No Responses)

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.