By Libby Lewis
Interpol says it is removing Egypt's arrest notices for a dozen American pro-democracy workers from its international database after ruling that they violate Interpol's ban on getting involved with political cases.
In addition, Interpol said in a statement released Monday it has refused to issue formal Red Notices for the pro-democracy workers on Egypt's behalf.
Last week, Security Clearance reported that Egypt filed the arrest notices for some of the American pro-democracy workers who have been charged with working for unlicensed organizations and using foreign funds to do their work. FULL POST
The traditional U.S.-Egypt partnership is in danger of shredding, Ben Wedeman reports from Cairo. The cartoons in a state-run Cairo paper set the tone, a nasty looking Uncle Sam spying on Egypt but wielding the pistol of aid is confronted by an Egyptian cannon. The caption read 'dignity.'
In this land where national pride is a national obsession, the criminal charges brought against 43 staff members at US and European non-governmental organizations, including 19 Americans, threaten to shake the decades-old ties between Egypt and the United States.
Watch Ben's report above.
By Jill Dougherty
The State Department said Thursday it has not received the official document from an Egyptian magistrate laying out charges against the staff of U.S. and international democracy-building groups.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland had said Wednesday the document had been delivered, but on Thursday she called that a "miscommunication."
"We were yesterday expecting to see the charging document," she told reporters. "In fact, the situation is - I talked with our lawyers on the ground there about an hour ago - the investigative magistrate has forwarded the charging document to the public prosecutor, at least that's what he understands, but we have not seen it.
"The embassy has not seen it and, in fact, the attorneys working with the affected Americans and their organizations have not seen it. So we are asking for it and we are still waiting for it. FULL POST
By the CNN Wire Staff
An Egyptian military delegation visiting Washington abruptly canceled meetings with senior American lawmakers and returned to Egypt, Sen. John McCain told CNN Tuesday.
McCain, the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, did not give a reason why the Egyptians backed out.
U.S. aid to Egypt hangs in the balance amid Egypt's decision to prosecute 43 people, including 19 Americans, in a crackdown on civil society organizations.
"We have underscored how serious a problem these actions are. We have said clearly that these actions could have consequences for our relationship, including regarding our assistance programs," White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters Monday.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland reiterated the message moments later in a separate briefing. She declined to speculate about possible consequences but said the dispute "is a very, very difficult situation in terms of the support we want to provide Egypt." FULL POST
By Jill Dougherty and Elise Labott
Three Americans, including International Republican Institute Egypt Country Director Sam LaHood, are taking refuge in the U.S. Embassy in Cairo because they voiced concerns about their personal safety, U.S. government officials say.
"They came in and said they felt threatened; they were afraid for their lives," one official said, adding that the U.S. government doesn't believe they actually are in danger but has concerns about the fate of the groups' Egyptian staff members.
"We are not aware of - that they're in any danger," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Monday.
"We have - in our discussions with the SCAF, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces - we've made clear our concerns about this issue and our disappointment that these several citizens are not being allowed to depart Egypt in connection with the government's investigation into (non-governmental organizations)," Carney said. FULL POST