American imprisoned in Cuba pleads for U.S. help
December 3rd, 2013

American imprisoned in Cuba pleads for U.S. help

By Michael Pearson

Please, Mr. President, don't leave me behind.

That's the gist of former U.S. subcontractor Alan Gross' plea to President Barack Obama in a letter on the fourth anniversary of Gross' imprisonment in a small military prison cell in Cuba.

In the letter, Gross - convicted by a Cuban court of "acts against the independence or territorial integrity of the state" - says he spends 23 hours a day in a small cell with two other inmates, is in poor health and is largely cut off from the outside world.

"With the utmost respect, Mr. President, I fear that my government - the very government I was serving when I began this nightmare - has abandoned me," wrote Gross, a former subcontractor for the U.S. Agency for International Development. "Officials in your administration have expressed sympathy and called for my unconditional release, and I very much appreciate that. But it has not brought me home."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Alan Gross • Barack Obama • Cuba
  1. joe a acosta

Is there a reason why this man has been incarcerated for over four years?Does he desrve this treatment? has he broken any laws? these are the questions america is asking can we expect the same from our government///? Is this what being an american now represents we talk all this crap about being a strong country,where is our strength when an insignificant tyrant can hold an american citizen for so long and nothing gets done about it?

December 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • WERTWERT32452345

Evidently joe, you didn't read George's post below as he already stated that something can be done to help Alan Gross. All we need to do is to use simple diplomacy but I guess that ignoramuses like you can't see that, can you? Then again, the politicians in Washington love this kind of stupidity as they thrive on it!

December 3, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Reply
      • joe a acosta

It also maybe easy for a dummy like you to say is easy for a man that age to be imprisoned for 4 years, since you are so intelligent and well informed maybe you would like to step up to the plate and ask the Cubans to have you take his place . Don't rain on my parade there smarty pants I have dealt with people like you all my life.

December 4, 2013 at 11:13 am |
  2. George patton

If Barack Obama would only do the right thing and normalize relations with Cuba, we could have this man out of there almost overnight. Unfortunately, Obama just wants to be politically "correct" and just ignore this man's plight!!!

December 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  3. Random

It does seem that we are leaving people behind more now. We can give billions to islamist that want to kill us but nothing for our people when taken. I'd like to see more of a response to this kind of thing, and embassy bombings, and generally any attack on our country should be responded to . This administration lacks sound decision making with regards to using force. When it would be helping islamist we are all about firing on chemical wep stocks , or bombing other governments. When it is out embassy and our people being destroyed we do absolutely nothing and even lie to our own people and try to take responsibility for it because some guy no one has heard of made a movie.
    Yeah... military mass firings, media not being allowed to speak, we got lied to on benghazi , and tried to start a war with russia while being told during elections that AQ has been decimated only to find out that it was also a lie.

I see us going down a path we wont easily come back from.

December 3, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  4. skeeter

of course your gov't has abandoned you, it's the american way!

December 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Reply