Source: CIA using Patriot Act to collect money transfer data
November 15th, 2013

Source: CIA using Patriot Act to collect money transfer data

By Evan Perez

The CIA is collecting bulk records on international money transfers, using the same Patriot Act legal authority that has become the center of controversy in U.S. surveillance programs, a source told CNN.

A person familiar with the program said the agency's efforts are an outgrowth of terror finance-tracking programs that were established in the wake of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks and revealed that al Qaeda funded the hijackers using methods such as smuggled cash, money transfers, and credit and debit cards.

The Treasury Department and the National Security Agency have other programs that similarly focus on financial transaction data. The CIA program provides some redundancies intended to catch transactions that may not draw attention in other programs.

The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times first reported the existence of the CIA program Thursday night, saying it has sparked concerns from lawmakers.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: CIA
  1. CharlieSeattle

I give up!

I bought a heated mouse for $40 and I used PayPal to pay later.

November 18, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  2. Radgast

The concern from lawmakers is probably that it may become known how they financially gain from their offices in manners they probably shouldn't.

November 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Reply
    • George patton

Quite true Radgast, quite true!

November 18, 2013 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  3. OnTheRoad

Our government is going to make the East German government look like little children when it comes to knowing everything that everyone is doing/saying/thinking!!!!

November 17, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Reply
    • George patton

Quite true OnTheRoad, quite true!

November 17, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Reply
  4. USAPeasant

Not a fan of the NSA or Patriot Act (you can read my posts to verify.) However if the article holds true then this particular program isn't bad at all since it is just tracking foreign money transactions. Might be arguablly bad policy, but it is not illegal to spy on the foreigners, it is encouraged, especially spying on our enemies. One could argue this is a good example and basis on how to reform the NSA and Patriot Act. We need to keep their tools in place to improve our capability to spy on the foreigners, but at the same time we have to start adding safeguards to protect American Citizens' rights.

November 16, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  5. WERTWERT32452345

I suspect that the C.I.A. has other ways of raising money besides freeloading off the U.S. taxpayer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the C.I.A. was in on the lucrative drug trafficking south of the border. Does anyone here remember the trail of Manuel Antonio Noriega back in the 1990's when the government successful blocked out vital information pertinant to that trial as requested by Noriega's lawyers? I do.

November 15, 2013 at 10:46 am | Reply
  6. that sherman woman

Listen, I am still in dead awe that the government was able to declare that owning gold by US citizens was illegal and were able to confiscate it and then loose it in various nefarious dealings. So you all go on to the present there... I still in awe of we the sheeple.

November 15, 2013 at 9:54 am | Reply
    • A traveler

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am a US citizen and own gold.

November 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Reply
      • wolfgang

be hapy ,and luck well after it

November 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
      • OnTheRoad

For a time, I think around the turn of the century, normal American citizens could not own gold. You will have to research on your own as to the time periods, but yes that was the law.

November 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
  7. John McKane

I'm a 70 year old man and if there's anything I've learned in all that time being first and foremost, is to never put anything past the C.I.A. There are no limits on just how low this agency will stoop! For example, look at what happened in in Chile back on Sept. 11, 1973!

November 15, 2013 at 8:51 am | Reply
  8. Garret Smith

Now this I can understand and am ok with. Terrorist probably have lots of money and are smuggling it into the US and putting it into banks.

November 15, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
    • that sherman woman

oh sure, deposit money with the enemy? what do you think the non central banks were for....

November 15, 2013 at 9:56 am | Reply
      • Garret Smith

I see, but still it doesn't surprise me that the CIA is doing this, in fact I always thought that the CIA had access to our banks. Even without the Patriot Act.

November 15, 2013 at 6:20 pm |