October 29th, 2013

Terrorist attacks and deaths hit record high, report shows

By Daniel Burke

As terrorism increasingly becomes a tactic of warfare, the number of attacks and fatalities soared to a record high in 2012, according to a new report obtained exclusively by CNN.

More than 8,500 terrorist attacks killed nearly 15,500 people last year as violence tore through Africa, Asia and the Middle East, according to the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism.

That’s a 69% rise in attacks and an 89% jump in fatalities from 2011, said START, one of the world’s leading terrorism-trackers.

Six of the seven most deadly groups are affiliated with al Qaeda, according to START, and most of the violence was committed in Muslim-majority countries.

The previous record for attacks was set in 2011 with more than 5,000 incidents; for fatalities the previous high was 2007 with more than 12,800 deaths.

FULL STORY
  1. christianmp

what I think about this article is that their are a lot of recent terrorist attacks in the recent years. what I think that started all of these attacks is that when countries attack the middle east countries a couple of years ago. when you start it off it will cause many problems for a period of time and could start a lot of other terrorist attacks in other countries.

October 31, 2013 at 11:18 am | Reply
  2. Reality

More refugees means more terrorist attacks.

October 31, 2013 at 3:09 am | Reply
  3. Jack Hollis

As far as Iraq is concerned, we Americans have but ourselves to blame. Before the infamous 2003 invasion of that country, none of these attacks took place and now look at what's happening there! Need I say more?

October 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • StanCalif

I agree! Dick Cheney promised us that our invasion of Iraq would be "revenue neutral', meaning that cheap Iraqi oil would pay all the bills! What did we get? Nothing! We eliminated Iran's biggest foe, Saddam.. Now our "democratically" elected government in Iraq is Iran's new best friend. Please explain to me what GWB meant by "Mission accomplished". GWB had no clue what he was doing. Thousands of Americans killed and maimed, billions of dollars spent – for what?

October 30, 2013 at 8:24 am | Reply
      • George patton

For what, you ask? It did fatten up the already opulent bank accounts of the war profiteers and help the right-wing politicians get reelected? The right-wing thugs in Washington have no absolutely nothing against profiting at the misery of others, none at all!!!

October 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • Terry

You must be a moron or person with a very short memory - "Before the infamous 2003 invasion of that country, NONE of these attacks took place"
      I guess 9/11 happened after 2003 invasion.
      I guess the 2010 bombimg of the Cole happened after 2003.
      I guess the bombing of our two African Embassies happened after 2003.
      I guess the first attack on the NY WTC happened after 2003.
      I guess the bombing of the marines Barracks in Lebanon happened after 2003
      I guess the bombing of the Westerners living compound in Saudi Arabia happened after 2003.
      I guess the Moro Muslim insurgency in the Philippines which began in 1969 happened after 2003

I can name case after case of radial Muslims killing others and that you obviously have no brain to remember them with !

October 30, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Reply
      • Terry

sorry typo - the 2000 Bombing of the Cole

October 30, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
  4. Random

and most of the violence was committed in Muslim-majority countries.

Is anyone surprised?