Government shutdown 'extremely damaging' to U.S. intelligence operations
October 2nd, 2013

Government shutdown 'extremely damaging' to U.S. intelligence operations

By Josh Levs

The government shutdown is "extremely damaging" to U.S. intelligence operations, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said Wednesday.

Clapper noted that he has worked in the intelligence field for 50 years, and "never seen anything like this."

The shutdown "seriously damages our ability to protect the safety and security of this nation," he told a Senate panel.

The law allows intelligence agencies to hold on to the employees needed to protect against "imminent threat to life or property," he noted. Following that guide, approximately 70% of employees were furloughed, he said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Clapper • Congress • Graham • ODNI
  1. Ffthj. Niutrd

' I can weather just about anything except when the people who are supposed to work for us intentionally destroy what we work for for no other purpose than to further their parties agendas. ' I T – S O U N D S- L I K E- Y O U – H A V E- N O- I D E A- W H A T- I S- H A P P E N I N G- &- H O W – W E- G O T- H E R E- B E C A U S E – Y O U- H A V E- B E E N – L I V I N G- A- L I E- ... -I- D O N T- H A V E- T O- T E L L- Y O U- T H A T- A S- I S- Y O U- D O N T- O W N- (S -H- I- T)- E V E N- W I T H- A F A N C Y- S O- C A L L E D- J O B- I- N- A M E R I C A- ...

October 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  2. Ffthj. Niutrd

October 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  3. George patton

Damaging to U.S. intelligence operations? Let's all hope so since this may also put an end to the incessant damage that we do on a regular basis to other nations!

October 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Reply
  4. jatavious

yo

October 2, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  5. Ffthj. Niutrd

SO DOES THIS MEAN THAT I CAN HAVE A EMAIL, TWITTER & FACEBOOK NOW AND WRITE ON BLOGS OTHER THAN THIS ONE...THATS NOT A QUESTION...BEING HOMELESS FOR 12 YEARS IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER IF IT HAPPENS TO ME IT WILL ONE DAY HAPPEN TO YOU OR SOMEONE CLOSE TO YOU. HOWS THAT FOR A TAX BASE...

October 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Reply
    • ShiverMeTimbers

I hear you. Being homeless is not very cool. Thank the Gods that our fearless leaders get primo health care and an excellent compensation package.

October 3, 2013 at 7:24 am | Reply
  6. John Smith

America is the root of all terror. America has invaded sixty countries since world war 2.
    In 1953 America overthrow Iran's democratic government Mohammad Mosaddegh and installed a brutal dictator Shah. America helped Shah of Iran to establish secret police and killed thousands of Iranian people.
    During Iran-Iraq war evil America supported Suddam Hossain and killed millions of Iranian people. In 1989, America, is the only country ever, shot down Iran's civilian air plane, killing 290 people.
    In 2003,America invaded Iraq and killed 1,000,000+ innocent Iraqi people and 4,000,000+ Iraqi people were displaced.
    Now America is a failed state with huge debt. Its debt will be 22 trillion by 2015.

October 2, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Reply
    • Dude you're an idiot

Jonny shut ur mouth and go back to playing music for your snake, rag head.

October 2, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Reply
      • George patton

Did it ever occur to you that John Smith above is right? Of course he is and one doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to agree with him. Even a three year old would!!!

October 2, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
  7. Random

So here is the way it is ...

My family already got laid off. Our livelihood is compromised. I really don't care what happens at this point and genuinely hope this country shuts down forever. If the way the politicians run it is to torture us via intentional shut downs that did not need to happen then F them all.
    Dont budge obama. We already lost what we had to lose. There is no motivation to cave now. There is nothing to avoid. Let every American experience the bull s it you and your government cronies delivered to me.

October 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Reply
    • Random

Government is nothing but a bunch of fat old white men, without the support of the people. Support they have lost.

October 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Reply
    • Maybe

Maybe you should quit voting GOP then. The GOP doesn't represent you.

October 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Reply
      • Random

Im independant , you should get your head out of your butt and not assume you know how people vote. Genius.

October 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • Random

At this point Putin has every right to talk trash about us and I hope he does. We deserve it.
      It wasnt terrorists that destroyed my livelihood, It was democrats and republicans. Who is going to protect me from my government? Putin?

October 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Reply
      • George patton

Thank you, Random. I couldn't agree more! That's the reason I keep referring to them as right-wing thugs since that's exactly what they are!!!

October 2, 2013 at 7:17 pm |
      • ShiverMeTimbers

Mr. Putin is more of a leader than President Obama and President Bush and evil Cheney put together. At least Mr Putin shows he cares and works for his country. Many of our leaders have sold out and don't seem to care about regular Joes.

October 3, 2013 at 7:31 am |
    • U.S.M.C. 1371

Cry much?

October 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Reply
      • Random

It is one thing to go hungry because of famine. Another to go hungry because some jerks in washington , who are still getting paid, inflict more damage on my livelihood than Al qaeda ever did.

funny the other day i was supporting our troops , now someone who presents himself as military does not do the same. Go f yourself as well buddy.

October 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm |
      • Random

I may be a peon but there are 200k of me for every one of you.

October 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
      • U.S.M.C. 1371

Time to stop crying and put your big boy pants on. Try to man up instead of crying on a blog you might actually get something done.

October 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Jervon

Hey you

October 2, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  9. Jervon

Ok duddde

October 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  10. Jervon

Really Goverment shutdown

October 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  11. Blame Republicans For Obamacare

If the republicans had introduced a single payer system (the ONLY system that will allow us, as an entire nation, to negotiate better health care prices), then we wouldn't have to worry about Obamacare today. But since the republicans introduced NOTHING (as uaual) to address the health care crisis, we ended up with Obamacare. Blame the republicans for Obamacare. After all it was their idea, supported by the Heritage Foundation, and implemented by Mitt Romney!!!

October 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Reply
    • Jervon

Whatever then

October 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Reply
      • dick

yo

October 2, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
    • ShiverMeTimbers

Both parities have stopped working for the regular tax payer. With some exceptions, many congressmen and senators are in the pocket of AIPAC, Pharma, Gun lobby or some other contributor to their campaign.

October 3, 2013 at 7:27 am | Reply
      • ShiverMeTimbers

And don't forget the Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower told us to beware.

October 3, 2013 at 7:29 am |
  12. U.S.M.C. 1371

If 70% of his employees were furloughed they are either not essential personal or Clapper is lies about everything.

October 2, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Reply
    • ShiverMeTimbers

Now you are getting it my USMC friend. Semper Fi.

October 3, 2013 at 7:25 am | Reply