New report: Top officials escaped blame for Benghazi
September 16th, 2013
01:42 PM ET

New report: Top officials escaped blame for Benghazi

By Jamie Crawford

A commission that investigated last year's terror attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four people lacked sufficient independence and did not hold senior officials accountable, a congressional report said on Monday.

The House Oversight Committee conclusion also raised new questions about the relatively short time frame taken by the Accountability Review Board to investigate the attack by armed militants and issue its findings.

"The ARB operated under significant time pressure, completing its work and issuing a final report in just over two months," the report found.

"For some, including (the State Department), this report represented the final word on the internal failures that contributed to the tragedy in Benghazi. For others, however, the report overvalued certain facts, overlooked others, and failed to address systemic issues that have long plagued the State Department," it said.
FULL POST


Filed under: Benghazi • Congress • Libya