By Ted Barrett
The U.S. government has identified "a certain number of people" believed involved in the Benghazi, Libya, attack, a senior Republican lawmaker told CNN on Tuesday.
The lawmaker said that government investigators have put identities to individuals seen in surveillance video of the attack.
"They know the names. That's what we haven't known. These are individuals they know now. Not just the pictures," the senior lawmaker said.
The lawmaker, who is familiar with the status of the investigation, could not say how many had been identified.
Just last week, Attorney General Eric Holder hinted there were developments in the investigation.
"The investigation is ongoing, that we are at a point where we have taken steps that I would say are definitive, concrete, and we are - we will be prepared shortly I think to reveal all that we have done," Holder told Congress at a hearing last week.
The Associated Press reported on Tuesday that, according to unnamed U.S. officials, five men have been identified, and that the government has enough information to justify the U.S. military grabbing the suspects but not enough evidence to try them in civilian court. The U.S. military has updated plans to "capture or kill" alleged perpetrators of the deadly terror attack on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, CNN reported last week.
A law enforcement official said there are definitely people the FBI is interested in and working to get more evidence on.
The FBI, in a statement, said the Benghazi investigation is "ongoing."
"We are aware of the media report and have no additional comments with regard to the investigation," the statement said.
Several weeks ago, the FBI released photos of three men seen at the compound on the surveillance video.
The FBI did not identify them as suspects but one official did say the men could be possibly implicated. But a CNN team in Benghazi has seen no evidence that the pictures are circulating among the local population and locals say the photos have not been posted or been shown on local television.
National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden, saying Tuesday that she could not discuss specifics of an ongoing investigation or NSC internal deliberations, cited Obama's words a day after the attack: "Make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people."