May 9th, 2013

Mother of Benghazi victim: Hearing didn't give answers

Parents who lose children in national calamities come to represent a pain and grief and importance that it is difficult to ignore.

Pat Smith, mother of Benghazi victim Sean Smith, a State Department information officer, listened to the Benghazi hearing on Capitol Hill on Wednesday.  In an interview on "The Lead with Jake Tapper," she said she did not get the answers she was looking for.

Watch and read about it here.

Filed under: Benghazi • Libya
  1. Francis Ushie

I think Libya is still too tense for any country to have "loose" security in that country. The atmosphere is still charged, and so, would warrant serious security alert for whatever reason that any foreign country would be doing any business there at the moment.
    Even sending ten fighter jets there may not have saved the situation, but any apology owed the people and families of the victims should be delivered.

May 15, 2013 at 2:46 am | Reply
  2. Murf

wjmccartan, I have been trying to think a way to respond to that last post, but I've got nothing.I have no idea what the heck it means. Help an old soldier out will ya.

May 13, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Reply
    • wjmccartan

Hey Murf, its been a few days since I've looked into the security clearance blog. The gist of it was fishing and getting somebody to bite. You were caught in a little cross fire, my apology on that. I hadn't seen your handle here before and was taken that anyone would want to support comments coming from Massoud. When the attack in Boston took place that knob was on here celebrating. He and a few others here like Joseph McCarthy, or Sand, drive me a little over the edge sometimes. As for the article I still believe that the republicans have used this woman for their own political ends. Which I find reprehensible, as for the actions or in action of the military on that day in September last year, I'm still at a loss as to how there were no forces that could have been brought to bare against the attackers that day. The navy is situated in the gulf there, not to mention bases in Italy, and Kuwait. The attack to place over hours and yet not one single military asset was sent in to assist those men. Somebody some where told them to stand down, that is the crime that took place that day. It adds insult to injury for the men that lost their lives that day.

May 15, 2013 at 12:35 am | Reply
      • Pete

@wjmccartan,I agree that's its basicly a political witch hunt because of our past administrations events that cost far greater amounts of deaths and again as in Reagans era nothing with a republican majority led houses were ever done...150 other countries than ours see Bush,Cheney for what they are in murderers in wars created with lies ,unfunded as well costing thousands of innocent military men,women and untold thousands of Iraqi civilians that should of never been killed..Indictments by these countries have been sent to the ICC in the Hague ,Netherlands for them to face trial and we protect them!!Somethings wrong when one is protected from facing justice for murdering thousands but the republicans the sanctumonious ones want to impeachment one because of the lives of just four that should of not been there in the first place..What's wrong America has republicans got you all so buffaloed in thinking that it wasn't Stevens fault because I say it without reservation he's the incompetent one being told hours before to evacuate on the eve of 9/11 in the months after their Libyan dictator Kadafi was taken down..This area in Benghazi wasn't fortified as the Tripoli embassy was with only locals trained as guards because of the defense cuts that republicans Issa,Chaffetz voted on in 2010..If you're going to set blame be it republicans and the incompetence,complacency of ambassador Stevens as I said before he's been there and knew what he was in for so he should've gotten out after evacuation calls were sent out..Just my take in this political dog and pony show but with republicans just what did you expect intellligence ,bipartisanship,nope just political brinksmanship that's all from the almighty righties who obviously so far haven't gotten anything right,have they..If you want failures just call Issa,republicans they've got plenty to their credit for yah don't they!!

May 15, 2013 at 10:35 am |
  3. Lrthuk Fdryuk

Maybe we should go back and win vietnam before everyone forgets.

May 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  4. Lrthuk Fdryuk

So are we to belive that the inlisted tell the US Citizen what to do not the other way around? Do you think that the American OPs guys are paying their own way like Hitlers S.S. cause they are not.

May 12, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  5. massoud

I can not wait for Impeachment hearings for Obama after the 2014 Mid-Term elections.The Benghazi cover-up along with the I.R.S. targeting his political enemies makes Nixon look like a saint, also not to mention Solyndra and Fast and Furious if he is not impeached he will surely be a lame duck president who will spend his last two years vacationing golfing and hanging out with celebrities at the White House, which by the way is till closed for public tours and futrher bankrupting America by piling up more debt than any other president in US history.

May 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Reply
    • Pete

@massoud,they'll be no impeachment and Nixon you don't know anything about bud..You're delushional in your postings and I advise some time out for you not taking your meds today,again take a break I think you've over used what little you have of a brain!!

May 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Reply
      • massoud

Pete you are a lemming, a follower who has never had an independent thought in your life I pity your meager existence you just take up space and offer nothing in return. You use straw man arguments to prove only that your feeble mindedness is purveyed.

May 13, 2013 at 2:11 am |
      • Pete

@massoud,give me the definition of a lemming you parrot!!And as I suspected you have no idea who Nixon was or his Watergate that game crashing down around him..I just use past debacles as examples because of ignorents as yourself you really don't understand someone with intelligence do yah!!And if anyone is as small minded in brain capacity as a lemming it must beyou bud!!And again I follow no ones drums just the drum of sensibility,again intelligence something you've never were able to convey in most of your radical,extremist posts..Again no impeachment for Pres.Obama even after your republicans are defeated at midterms and check out your past republican presidents and their debacles,that might keep you quiet for awhile ,again PARROT!!

May 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
      • jake

liberalism is a mental disorder "libtards"

May 14, 2013 at 6:21 am |
      • Pete

@Jake,and what psychological problem does your party republicans fall under or are you all this ignorent and racially biased toward another other than white..And that's from a white man that definitly knows racism since Pres.Obamas inaugeration being leveled at him,say it ain't so Jake!!

May 14, 2013 at 9:00 pm |
    • hypatia

Didn't you help bomb boston?

May 13, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Reply
    • massoud

@ Pete I don't read your insipid postings anymore why would I waste my time, I find you to be a fool a troll and a punk need i say more.

May 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Reply
  6. Krtyuk Fdrtuk

All in the news/media: If orders were followed there whould have been 0 dead not 4 if the former seals had stood down as they were told there would be 2 dead. The people on the ground were empowered. Exactly how many people would have needed to die on the US side before libertarians and republicans allow a H.C. Presidency. I know the MIC only wants crash test dummies in possitions of power in Gov. key word being dumb.

May 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  7. massoud

What would Hillary Clinton do if she got a phone call at 3 am ? Unfortunately nothing .

May 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Reply
  8. Pete

@jomama ,these aren't bipartisan hearings they're political witch hunts republicans since Joseph McCarthy have ignorently done..Again its the devil in the details something republicans in Issa,Chaffetz who voted against funding for security in embassies don't want brought up because they're guiltier than sin and its eventually going to blow up in republicans faces..Just watch because it didn't go down as Issa liked it in Eric Holders hearings either did it and he's just ticked off he didn't get the W for his team that's all..Please check out Darrell Issa in Google and you'll wonder how he got into politics with his dirty history in California business as well..Nothing like having the fox leading the chickens to slaughter is it and republicans can run a dog and pony show and this one proves it!!

May 11, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Reply
    • Murf

Republicans are the only one raising a stink over this because the Dems don't want their "Man in the White House" embarrassed by the fact that he took a nap before his Fear and Loathing road trip to Vegas and was asleep at the wheel.They also don't want it to come out that their "Woman in 2016" did a lousy job as SEC of State.

So much for Transparency in government.

Personally I can't see who's more callus and cynical. But I would like the truth to come out. Finally

May 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Reply
      • Pete

@murf,hey bud its been partisan since Pres.Obama took office and ignorents especially republicans know it..No democrate was asked on any Issa led committee going back to the Fast,Furious debacle that left a mark on him,republicans when Eric Holder wasn't found guilty of anything just another attempt to either smear Pres.Obamas name or get rid of anybody put in any position by him,plain and simple..No democrates were asked to sit in any position on this Benghazi deal and its obvious as hell its only a political witch hunt to discredit Hillary so she won't run in 2016 again its plain and simple ,just like the radical minds of republicans or supposid independents who are scared to say they're republicans for fear of the backlash they'd recieve for voting not once but twice for that Texas idiot in Bush ...

May 12, 2013 at 9:21 am |
    • massoud

Oh really you partisan hack I do not like republicans or democrats take your blinders off and be objective, this is not about republicans or democrats this is about complete incompetence by the Obama Administration and that includes Hillary Clinton who played a major role in leaving Ambassador Stevens and the three other brave Americans who perished because the current fraudulent administration left them out to dry in the desert of Libya.

May 12, 2013 at 1:44 am | Reply
      • Pete

@massoud,I'm not the hack here bud you're obviously are not realizing there's no credibility with Issa and republicans anymore and you better take off your rose colored glasses bud because you've obviously voted for this idiot in Bush as well didn't yah,truth hurts doesn't it!There's no democrates on any Issa led committees and if you read some of the ways the hearings have been run all it is is a typical dog and pony show and you don't know squat about the justice system if you're are from here but with that name you post under I tend to wonder if you're not sent here to create havoc because again you don't know squat!!!

May 12, 2013 at 9:29 am |
  9. Pete

@jomama,if you remember I stated on another sites facts to which you questioned about Reagan,serin gas and I appreciate you posting back apparently finding my facts correct..I seldom come on these sites unarmed,uninformed as most posters here do of either party..Take my posting seriously because I definitly don't come on ranting inaccuracies as most do,again try to simplify facts so even the most ignorent and you know who can comprehend just what I'm saying in plain English..Again I'll say against everybody here its ambassador Stevens fault because in hearings it was said to evacuate and didn't,that's incompetency in my book which led to their untimely deaths,nothing Hillary or Pres.Obama could have done some 5000 miles away and ignorents that rant about justice just can't see the trees through the forest that's all..Take care and as I said before research before stating inaccuracies because its your name on these sites and you should stand behind it as adults ....

May 11, 2013 at 9:12 am | Reply
    • Jomama

I stand behind what I say sometimes inaccurate yes but its what I have experienced. Many soldiers that come back from war are the same. You go there and do what you have to do and you protect your Buddies no matter what. No politics no nothing , you just have to live to get through the moment. You get to the point where you don't think about tomorrow.My Grandfather did North Africa and the Korean war, My Father did Vietnam 3 tours.I did the gulf and my son done 3 tours in Afganistan. Sometimes when people say stuff they have no understanding what goes on at all.When Politicians do crap like this and no one can fess up and just take the hit and be done with it ,it really can bug me.My Grandfather would take me to the VFW post with his friends and I would hear stories that I didn't understand and He was a solitary individual. My Father wont even talk about it and he is also solitary.My friends I can count on one hand. My Son is that way now. I understand people and how they feel. But some people post crap they have no understanding of. I cut things to the basics of human nature. War is easy living afterwards is a lifetime.

May 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Reply
      • Jomama

I would like to hear from a war veteran to tell me different .I would be proud to say no one will.

May 11, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  10. ?

it makes me sick that the republicans are more concerned with the 2016 election than with helping fix problems and making our country as great as it can be (maybe somehow they think they are actually trying to do just that....although doubtful), bush is the reason our country fell apart in 2008, the republican party is the wig party, but what is really concerning is that they actually do speak for a large minority of Americans, congress should do something to help the country and look out for its future by passing legislation that allows a person to pursue three consecutive elections to the presidency

May 10, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply
    • Jomama

Republican, Democrats yadda,yadda.The ball was dropped and people are scared and trying to cover their butts.Everyone is scrambling to either cover their butts or use it to their advantage.Parents are not getting answers and wont for a long time.No conspiracies just a big screw up.

May 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
      • Jomama

Yes unscrupulous politicians will take advantage.There is learning the truth and then theres the ridiculous on both sides of the fence.

May 10, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
  11. wjmccartan

If anything the republicans should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to torment this woman and the loss she has suffered. One thing is absolutely clear here is that her son as well as the Ambassador and the other two men were killed by terrorists, not by Americans as the republicans would have you believe. No one on the right has admitted that one fact above all others, Americans were not killed by Americans, but by terrorists. There is nothing that can change that truth. This continues to be a shameful exercise of using this tragedy for political points and nothing more. I think the republicans are missing the boat here, because of their own lack to work together to move the country forward, much as they have done for the last five years, 2014 should be a total wash out of those republicans who continue to shout "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". Idiots

May 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Reply
    • massoud

Very good satire, Amusing and entertaining post you would have been a somewhat good writer for Pravda in the former Soviet Union.The irony of your rambling farce of a post is very laughable, thanks for the side splitting laugh I got out of reading your entirely inept incoherent and distortion of reality keep them coming I might save them for a rainy day when I am in need of good laugh. Thank You.

May 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Reply
    • Murf

The only shame is watching the supposed Transprancy president is twisting and turning to avoid admitting that Obama was literally asleep at the helm and that Hillery was more concerned with2016 and posing for camera. Why do I have a feeling that if George Bush was President when this happened, the neolibs and media would not be saying "Lets put this behind us."

May 10, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Reply
      • wjmccartan

You and Massoud should get a room. Although I think it wouldn't work out well for you, massoud doesn't seem like catching type so I think he'll be the pitcher on your team. Really your going to try and compare strait up Obama to Bush. Oh hahaha, ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ha ha ha ha ha, that's a knee slapper,
        you two make me laugh. Murf- you gona be ok, I think your starting to smile. But seriouly folks how bout them. BlackHawks....

May 12, 2013 at 12:40 am |
    • massoud

You are a crass and vulgar lout wjmccartan . Your Messiah Obama and his sidekick t the time Hillary Clinton did Ambassador Stevens and the three other Americans a GRAVE disservice in Benghazi and you plead blind allegiance to these people you are a mindless sheep who drones on and on with no factual basis, you are a complete and utter disgrace and not to mention a PUNK.

May 12, 2013 at 1:01 am | Reply
      • Pete

@massoud,go back and check out the crap Reagan,Bushs created leaving much more than four dead bud,almost 400 died with nothing done to either of them..And remember too facts are that Stevens was told to evacuate the annex that was unfortified miles away to go back to the Tripoli embassy that was fortified,so blame Stevens for not only not listening but incompetance as well in their deaths..And are you going to sacrifice more then four to rescue them when intel was sketchy at best ,you tell me if you're so gung ho smart guy!!

May 12, 2013 at 9:37 am |
      • Murf

Hahahahaa wjmccartan that was hilarious. I can think of a world of ways to respond to that but I'm not ready to get banned, yet. Safe to say the Blackhawks need to change their diapers before and after each game regardless. You should too (sorry I just couldn't resist)
        Comparing Bush to Obama? Lets see; Bush made mistakes that cost us but least he wasn't afraid of a tough or " Wildly Unpopular" decision (see Woodward's "The Price of Politics" if you don't get the reference). He didn't hide from mistakes, didn't blame Clinton for all his woes for his entire first term and the start of his second. Bush didn't need four tries(and counting) to pass a budget, even when he had a hostile Dem controlled Congress. Didn't overspend more than the previous 48 Presidents put together. Most importantly when 9/11, Afghanistan, and Iraq started Bush didn't take a nap so he could get himself some VIVA LAS VEGAS! YA BABY YA!
        This is a minimal standard for what, in the passed at least, was considered good governing by a President.
        But hay. He talks the PC line and that's all that counts Isn't?

May 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
      • Murf

"And are you going to sacrifice more then four to rescue them when intel was sketchy at best ,you tell me if you're so gung ho smart guy!!"
        Actually I use to know a number of the SPEC OP guys at the SOC EUR HQ in Stuttgart, back in 03-04. My impression is that they would have said H*LL YA!. Unless you know some that think differently you'll just have to trust me on that.
        I certainly hope that if you are ever in a similarly jack up situation , the First Responders at your home don't think "Well it's not clear whats going on, and there are several of us that could get killed and only one of him. Heck with it boys lets head back to the station."
        THAT is what is aggravating me about this whole situation. Leaving people a*ses dangling in the wind to die and then playing CYA games.
        This from the President who was going to "Heal the planet and push back the seas."
        Here's hoping he'll change.

May 12, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
      • wjmccartan

So all it takes is a little line and you guys almost jump on the hook, like shooting fish in a barrel.

May 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
      • Pete

@murf,Ambassador Stevens was in Benghazi an unfortified annexed building miles away from the fortified Tripoli embassy secured with marines not with locals as was at Benghazi because of security cuts by Issa,Chaffetz in 2010.Again they were told to evacuate hours before...You can't blame everyone for ones complacency or incompetence and like I said risking more than four lives to rescue them after sketchy intel about the uprising..Boy I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on your or massouds team or we'd all be sent home in boxes for listening to idiots as you!! You obviously don't know jack about anything militarily do yah,smart guys!!

May 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
      • Murf

Hay Pete tell your son thanks for the service sincerely.

"You obviously don't know jack about anything militarily do yah,smart guys."

I guess 23 years of active and reserve service as a enlisted CAV Scout and and an Reserve Armour Officer, finishing up as a Major, doesn't count. I'm sure your stellar carer eclipses mine.
        What branch were you In by the way?
        I don't recall a service that had a "Sorry About your Luck" way of doing things. But I'm sure you would know better.
        Bottom line Pete: some run into burning buildings, charge to the sound of the guns. keep presser on a severed artery.and held the hand of a dying little old lady whose family never visits her. I have done all of these things. So when I say if they had been my responsibility I would have gone in their to save them and d**n consequences. You'll just have to trust me on that. That is what leaders do. Schistter politicians and internet weenies, not so much.
        As for teams, we will call your team the Pirates as in "Who ever falls behind gets left behind."
        Lastly I wouldn't even follow you into a bar if you were waving a hundred dollar bill.

May 13, 2013 at 9:24 pm |
      • Pete

@murf,not in the military bud,never wanted or had to..And most of my family served and I apoligize not knowing you were in fact military but that doesn't mean much today being just bodies needed in service does it,especially ground troops.As a union welder with over 35 years industrial experience I've been through having my hand being almost severed off,helped one to get his leg torn off to a rescue vehicle and helped console someone after seeing his bud get decapitated on the job after witnessing it myself so you're not alone in gore bud but that's life ..Again as I read Stevens incompetence,complacency caused he and his collegues deaths,they were told again to evacuate hours before..And again I wouldn't send in troops like in Black Hawk down against Somali rebels to get slaughtered not only for four men but sketchy intel as well..

May 14, 2013 at 12:50 am |
    • massoud

@wjmccartan Your what hurts ? You should stop inviting Pete over for a while .

May 13, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Reply
      • Pete

@massoud,hey I hear immigration again singing your song of where's your expired visitors visa!!Get along little doggy!!

May 14, 2013 at 1:08 am |
      • massoud

@ Petey My Ancestors were some of the first settlers in the state in which I was born in and currently live.

May 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
      • massoud

@Pete I hear North Korea is taking Visa applications for Crypto -Fascists like you, I am sure you would be approved based on your political leanings enjoy the work camps, and eating rats for dinner!

May 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
      • Pete

@massoud,and what state in the 50 does your supposid ancestors come from..Please what state the state of confusion bud because that what I've seen in you..And with a name as that I'd think you're a camel jock over in sand land and they are eating the rats because they ate everything else before that,nitwit!!Hey they need interpetors over in N Korea and I think its time for you to hit it bud!I forgot more about political,military history bud than you'll ever know and you can take that to any bank !!

May 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
      • massoud

@Petey, based on your spelling and cognitive reasoning skills I bet you dropped out of High School or were kicked out, I always wondered what it was like to have a conversation with someone who is brain damaged and after corresponding with You now I know, you really should have stayed off sniffing glue and or drinking lysol because your brain damage is irreversible.

May 15, 2013 at 1:57 am |
      • Pete

@massoud,you responded something you stated earlier you wouldn't do..And look in the mirror massoud because its you that needs some instruction on writting skills and intelligence something again you're lacking in both because of maybe going to subpar schools wherever you went!! ..Brain damaged and I'm still smarter than you, boy that's something massoud isn't it!!

May 15, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
      • massoud

@ Petard, Hey Petard you ignoramus have you been licking any boots lately you slithering maggot ?

May 17, 2013 at 1:19 am |
  12. massoud

Make sure you do not criticize the US State Department and the Obama Administrations handling of Benghazi or CNN will block Your post.

May 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • Pete

@massoud,no just ignorently critize them as you have right without facts..My input isn't liked but I'm not here for a popularity contest so to you tough BS..Stevens and his exmilitary trained collegues should of never been there especially at an unfortified annexed building miles away not in Tripoli..They as military knew the area from before so nothings new as well..Security guards at the annex where said to be trained locals there instead of regular militarily trained,equipped embassy guards because of Issa,Chaffetzs voting to cut defense which in turn cut security at these embassies against Pres.Obamas talk of security fund increases before this incident happened ...And furthermore these men, Stevens and his exmarine collegues should have not been there because the tension in that region was high as a result of the recent Kadafi overthrow and the upcoming anniversary of 9/11 known internationally by locals,terrorists alike..This is just complacency,incompetance not from Hillary,Pres.Obama but the men Stevens included that should of been in Tripoli where it was fortified..This is just another example of brinksmanship brought on by Issa and republicans because they're afraid of Hillary running in 2016 for president and you uninformed,ignorent posters know it..More deaths have been accounted for in both Reagan,Bushs terms as presidents in embassy,marine barrick attacks and again because of republican led houses back then again nothing was done was it..So to republicans quit being so sanctumonious and put this witch hunt to bed because all it is is another drain on tax payers and with Issa leading again you'll come away empty handed..Nothing done now can resurrect these men so let them rest in peace and tell Mrs.Smith,Seans mother the republicans said the checks in the mail,trust them it'll cash!!

May 10, 2013 at 10:08 am | Reply
      • massoud

You mad Bro ?

May 10, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
      • Jomama

You have your facts but I still think it was a ball dropped and a big screw up in communications.You talked about complacency a while back on a different subject and I believe it was complacency in the system.When someone yells for help you go in and if its wrong its wrong.There was a call for help and people in the system wanted to make a decision that makes their little world look good.I want to see the hearings continue and see what broke down.Its not a witch hunt and yes politicians will use this to their advantage and shame on them.This is something radical islamists thrive on and will help them drive a wedge deeper between cultures.Its not a war with Islam its a war with extremist. Am I a Bigot, yes I can be.Just like everyone else.Gulf war taught me to be a Bigot.

May 10, 2013 at 8:05 pm |
      • Jomama

I use to post under the name of Joe and things welled up inside me and I said some things I regret.I thought I was over the war and every once in a while it still haunts me.Spent 2 years after the war just trying to be a part of society and that is the hardest thing I have ever done in my Life.

May 10, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
      • Pete

@jomama,I salute you and your family on their military service..My family as well served and yes I know what you went through not from an actual soldiers stand point but from a brothers that was a tunnelrat in Nam and a father in WWII Army Aircorps ..My son just left the Navy as a operator of drones..So by some here he's a murderer and by some he's a wimp for not being on the ground so to speak,but he enlised and I'm proud of him as well..My brother took his bennies and now he's helping vets that come back with psychological problems ,he one of them himself because he won't talk about it to even me his brother...Take care and take these republicans with a grain of salt when they talk military because only about 30% ever served just look it up and democrates the diplomatic ones had over 70% served and that's why you'll never hear them like republicans scream about starting one like Bush who was in the Texas National guard and never left Texas ,his dad made sure of that bud..Take care and everything will work out ,it just takes time!!

May 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm |