Sources: 3 al Qaeda operatives took part in Benghazi attack
May 2nd, 2013
10:53 PM ET

Sources: 3 al Qaeda operatives took part in Benghazi attack

By Paul Cruickshank, Tim Lister, Nic Robertson and Fran Townsend

Several Yemeni men belonging to al Qaeda took part in the terrorist attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi last September, according to several sources who have spoken with CNN.

One senior U.S. law enforcement official told CNN that "three or four members of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula," or AQAP, took part in the attack.

Another source briefed on the Benghazi investigation said Western intelligence services suspect the men may have been sent by the group specifically to carry out the attack. But it's not been ruled out that they were already in the city and participated as the opportunity arose.

The attack on the compound and subsequently on a "safe-house" to which Americans had been evacuated left four U.S. citizens dead, including the ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens.

Read the full story here.


Filed under: AQAP • Libya
soundoff (11 Responses)
  1. Randy Leach

    Probably a total coinky dink, but it's ironic that they requested DoD resources for security, and instead were given Islamic Extremists from the February 17th Martyrs Brigade to protect them from.....oh yeah, Islamic Extremists. Probably met them at the Allahu Ak Bar and Grill and thought "these dudes seem legit".

    May 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  2. George Patton-2

    Good, since we know 'em, can we drone 'em !!! Let's make our planet a better place to live.

    May 3, 2013 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • George Patton-2

      Just ignore the bozo who posted the above. What I want to know here is, was the attack on the Benghazi compound done by 3 Al Qaeda "operatives" or is this just more right-wing bla-bla-bla coming out of Washington? I guess that we'll never know!

      May 3, 2013 at 10:16 am | Reply
      • John Diaz

        If the media would ever do their job, we'd know!

        May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am |
      • George Patton-2

        are you crazy punnie boy !!! we want to make our planet a better place, not just our country, don't be selfish. Let's kill all terrorist rodents.

        May 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
      • Jason B

        Yeah yeah, blah, blah, blah...

        Sounds like the whole thing REALLY WAS a terrorist attack, and not just a reaction to a video, made by someone who's wrongfully imprisoned, by our own government.

        May 4, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Hahahahahahahha

    And in other news.........A General banged a broad. Nothing more. Nothing less. Hahahahahahah

    May 3, 2013 at 9:42 am | Reply
  4. keithsteege

    That not surprising -what is surprising is a "Libyan militia group that the State Department hired to defend its embattled diplomatic mission in Benghazi had clear al-Qaida sympathies, and had prominently displayed the al-Qaida flag on a Facebook page for months before the deadly attack." quote from newmax

    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/benghazi-consulate-protected-alqaida/2013/05/02/id/502565

    May 3, 2013 at 7:18 am | Reply
  5. aka kywildcat

    But wait, What about the video tape ? And why did the media ignore it ?

    May 2, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Reply
    • Jason B

      Because they were too busy campaigning for Obama to reelect him.

      May 4, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.