Secretary Kerry sees "urgent" need to revive Egyptian economy
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry poses with Arab League Secretary General Nabil al-Arabi after their meeting in Cairo, on March 2, 2013.
March 2nd, 2013

Secretary Kerry sees "urgent" need to revive Egyptian economy

By CNN's Jill Dougherty

At a roundtable with business leaders in Cairo, Secretary of State John Kerry said it is "paramount, essential, urgent that the Egyptian economy get stronger, that it get back on its feet."

Sidestepping political divisions that are holding back reform, Kerry said he was not supporting any party or any political view.

He said that in order for the economy to revive, there needs to be a sense of security and "an IMF agreement needs to be reached," he told the business leaders.

Sunday, when he meets with Egyptian president Mohamed Morsy, Kerry said he will speak about "very specific ways" in which President Obama wants to engage, including economic assistance, support for private business, increasing Egyptian exports to the U.S. and investing in Egypt's people through education.

He said he has spoken with the leaders of Great Britain, France, Germany and Turkey and all want to be helpful "but all of them believe Egypt must make some fundamental economic choices."

1. Davidson Thompson

My name Davidson Thompson, i am from California USA, married, i have been searching for a genuine loan company for the past 5 years and all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day, the took all my money and left me moneyless, all my hope was lost, i got confused and frustrated, i lost my job and find it very difficult to feed my family, i never wanted to do anything will loan companies on net anymore, so went to borrow some money from a friend, i told him all that happened and he said he can help me, that he knows a loan company that can help me, that he just got a loan from them, he directed me on how to apply for the loan, i did as he told me, i applied, i never believed but i tried and to my surprise i got the loan in 24 hours, i could not believe my eyes, i am happy and rich today and i am thanking God that such loan companies like this still exist upon this fraud stars all over the places, please i will advise everyone out there who are in need of loan to go for Mr.Bruce Brandon By Email ( bruce.brandon071@gmail.com they will never fails, your life shall change as mine did.

August 14, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Reply
  2. Mrs Robin Leonardo

Hello Every One, My Name is Mrs Robin Leonardo t i live in california USA and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and i really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as i am a struggling mother with two sons and i have been going through a serious problem as my son encountered a terrible accident last weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to see again and i could not afford the bill for his surgery then i went to the bank for a loan and they turn me down stating that i have no credit card, from there i run to my mother and she was not able to help, then when i was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mr Terry Green who provides loans at an affordable interest rate and i have been hearing about so many scams on the internet but at this my desperate situation, i had no choice than to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, i received a loan of $170,000 USD and i payed for my son surgery and thank GOD today he is okay and can see and his working and the burden is no longer so much on me any more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to my self that i will shout aloud to the world of the wonders of GOD to me through this GOD fearing lender Mr.Terry Green and i will advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this GOD fearing man via email: terrygreenloaninvestment07@hotmail.com and i want you all to pray for this man for me. THANKS Mr.Terry Green.

May 16, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Reply
  3. Billy Burel

Terminate all Foreign Aide!

March 5, 2013 at 11:21 am | Reply
  4. Rosstrex

So the urgent need to revive Egypt's economy basically keeps the Islamist Morsy and his thugs, in power if Kerry succeeds. Protecting Israel and corporate interests should not come at the expense of Egyptian Democracy. However it is always the same we keep paying off the Islamists all over the ME. Why?? Are we so afraid of real Democracy that we must replicate what the US has become everywhere, an influence machine that places corporations and special interests above governing the people and shirking the simple basic responsibilities of government and replacing them with pandering to whoever has the biggest checkbook or military.

March 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  5. Mary

Stupid is as stupid does. Obama and Kerry's priorities are so screwed up. Another example of Demwits at the helm. I did notice that CNN has buried this "news", but if a republican had made this error, it would be front and center. Anyone else notice the inconsistencies in reporting?

March 4, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  6. theknee

before we revive other nation's economy... aren't we supposed to revive ours first? this is getting really sickening!!! we are going down thew drain and still we are not doing the right thing for our country and for our own people.....charty begins at home ..and that's how it is suppose to be.

March 4, 2013 at 10:05 am | Reply
  7. Kathleen

let teraaaaaazzzza revive the egyptian economy, we have enough problems with our own economy.

March 2, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  8. Julia

including economic assistance, = More $ to the military which will be funneled and washed through flop films and other so called "venues"
    support for private business = there's the loans, sure is not going to be 2% either. <.<
    increasing Egyptian exports to the U.S = do not focus on sustainability focus on buy buy. or is that bye bye. Either way.
    . and investing in Egypt's people through education. = manipulation if published works. also called propaganda.
    Corporate conglomerates are comforting, Buy more Coke.

March 2, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  9. alibaba

hey kerry you monkey go home to ireland dublin before i break your face into 2 pieces. china should nuke ireland and ghana then nuke usa and then britain and australia.

March 2, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
    • George Patton in Good Mood

wishful thinking of a terrorist wannabe, Ali baba or Paki baba, Chinese are Chinese, not moslems you dumb F.

March 2, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Reply
    • Murf

Say good or bad things about the Chinese currently, they are not a bunch of mindless idiots who kill people and break things just because. When they do something; they have a reasonably achievable goal, they make a plan and then they do what ever they have to to make happen.
      Something Islamist could stand to learn.
      But I doubt it.

March 3, 2013 at 9:49 am | Reply
  10. George Patton in Bad Bad Mood today

Yeah, stupid Kerry sees "urgent" need to revive Egyptian economy, but useless fool does not see anything wrong with the US economy; although, he was being elected by Americans, never heard him making a statement "urgent" need to revive US economy. What is wrong with these fools?

March 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • Patrick

To answer your question George, these fools are a bunch of right-wing fanatics! It's as simple as that!

March 3, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Reply