February 5th, 2013

Defending the "indefensible": Inside one of Afghanistan’s deadliest battles

EDITOR'S NOTE: CNN’s Jake Tapper takes viewers inside the deadly battle at Combat Outpost Keating in an exclusive interview with Romesha and others who fought off the Taliban attack. “An American Hero: The Uncommon Valor of Clint Romesha” will air Thursday, February 7th at 10pET on CNN.

Next week, President Barack Obama will award former U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Clinton Romesha the nation's highest award for combat valor for his actions in repelling a deadly insurgent onslaught in Afghanistan in October 2009. He is the fourth living recipient to receive the award for service in Iraq or Afghanistan.

In an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper, Romesha describes his thoughts about seeing Combat Outpost Keating for the first time. The remote outpost was at the foot of three large mountains and surrounded by a river on one side as well. By all military standards, the base was virtually impossible to defend because of the looming mountains that would ultimately give the Taliban a tactical advantage to shoot down into the base and offer deep cover to those fighters in the rocky mountainsides.

"This is a pretty indefensible spot. This is the exact opposite of when you open up the manual and look in to find the definition of finding a defensible spot, this is the total opposite of it," Romesha said in the interview with Tapper.

Romesha is being recognized for his courage at COP Keating against the onslaught of hundreds of Taliban fighters. With just over 50 troops inside the tiny base, Romesha directed and led several charges to repel the 12 hour long attack and regain control of the outpost which had been overrun.

The assault on the outpost in the eastern province of Nuristan goes down as one of the deadliest attacks on U.S. troops in Afghanistan with eight soldiers killed and more than 20 wounded.

Romesha tells Tapper in an emotional account about his failed attempt to save a close friend, taff Sgt. Justin T. Gallegos, who was trapped in a vehicle which had come under heavy Taliban fire.

"There was movement everywhere. There was muzzle flashes everywhere. You just couldn’t pick them out fast enough. I tried to hold it as long as I could but when you’re the only machine gun pocking on the COP at that point you start drawing quite a bit of attention and finished the belt and scurried on back," Romesha said. "I called Gallegos and told him told I was sorry. I just told him I was sorry. I couldn’t hold that position for him anymore and they were still stuck."

Filed under: Afghanistan • Medal of Honor
  1. alsbbbsasda asdam

wow! many thanks for that incredible guide. I really liked it to your core. Hope you retain publishing these kinds of astonishing content alsbbbsasda asdam http://asddfsddddfhh46.com

March 3, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Reply
  2. ger

You really make it appear really easy along with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be really something that I feel I'd never understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I'm taking a look forward for your subsequent post, I will attempt to get the hold of it!

February 24, 2013 at 7:13 am | Reply
  3. Art

@prem konatham your comment (He is my hero and he along with all Veterans who suffer needs to be taken care of as part of we the people, by the people and for the people. Period) is the best one here. And probably the most rational or civilized.
    I was not able to join military due to physical reasons. I recieved head trauma when I was 17. If I had joined the military would have been for the wrong reasons, so I'm glad I do not have blood on my hands that is'nt mine> I'm born U.S.A. have a brother 11 years older than me almost drafted to Vietnam, they told him he was too stupid to go because he flunked 3rd grade. I call that L U C K Y . My father was in Korean war was shot 3 times only the legs, and still fought and lived to come home. I call that V E R Y L U C K Y. My fate to have a blood clot removed from my brain not only survive the blow and surgery is a miracle the Neurosurgeon doctor told me was I do not have any side effects other then a scar, But i believe it was a blessing that happened , So I am V E R Y V E R Y L U C K Y, and believe if you were to see me with your eyes you will be looking @ the luckiest person on this planet.

February 12, 2013 at 12:48 am | Reply
    • Served 21 years and Proud

Art,
      It looks like your father is the only man in your family that has some balls. Not sure if he was drafted or not, but I am sure he is proud of his service. I'm SO glad that you are the luckiest person on earth. I think if I was to "look in your eyes" I would dot one of them. Pansy ass.

February 12, 2013 at 7:58 am | Reply
  4. joseph steward

Also they was going to move the troops just 5 days later someone said .And my brother told me that the same thing that went on in Wanat also happened to them where they was running out of food and water and getting shot at almost everyday.Some of the taliban would test there defenses to see where and how to attack the camp.So we owe them our lives and so do the men in charge who put them there!

February 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  5. joseph steward

Also may i add that my brother was 25 with 4 kids and a wife and my mom still cries for him. He would send me letters and call me every sunday and we would talk about sports and hip hop in order to keep our minds off of him being at war.And if you remember Coventry England when they let the Germans bomb Coventry just because they did not want the Germans to know that they were intercepting and reading there messages and codes. So its just a thought and maybe it cost us there lives.Also we need to check out what happened a year before in Wanat 2008 where 12 soldiers died and one of the soldiers sent video footage of what was going on to his dad who was a retired Commander and he asked the same question what are they doing there.Check out youtube Katie Couric did a full report about Oct 3 2009 attack on my brother post cop keating.

February 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  6. joseph steward

i want to thank all the soldiers who are tellin the true story because my younger brother Sgt Vernon W Martin was killed there.And the book the outpost touched a little bit of what they went through god bless you all!

February 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  7. MR

Does anyone know the person/people responsible for deciding that position was a great place to put a base? I'd like to pass on my thoughts to them.

February 8, 2013 at 8:55 am | Reply
  8. me

May this young man have a long, healthy, and happy life with his family.

February 6, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Reply
  9. Scott Black

Clinton Romesha more than earned his MOH for his actions that day. All who fought that day deserve it. What they didn't deserve was to be in that indefensible godforsaken place. Everyone there knew it was going to happen and the higher ups just let it happen...

February 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  10. JP

A great and brilliant man once said "Foxed fortifications are a monument to man's stupidity"..Still holds true today

February 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Reply
    • Thomas

My guess is that wasn't the quote. :-)

February 6, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Reply
      • Star-Spangled Bullsh!t

Its been attributed to Patton.

February 6, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  11. Joe

Jake's book was an excellent read. If you want a good view of the decisions made and actions taken surrounding this FOB – well worth the time.

February 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  12. Robert

Specialist Patrick Tillman was also a voice of truth until his voice was silenced by American guns and American bullets sent by American hands. Don’t bother reading the original statements by our unfailing, and 100% pure and Patriotic American Government. On second thought, DO read our Government”s original statements. Memorize each and every word. Memorize the lies word by word and ask yourself why they lied… again.

Take a moment to absorb what actually happened if you bother to look.

Most Americans see the War Memorials or Arlington Cemetery as reflective places where we honor our fallen soldiers. The Lobbyists and the special interests view these sacred places as War Trophies that they couldn’t care less about.

Just another feather in the insatiable cap of Halliburton.

February 6, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Reply
    • genengineer05

@ Robert – You, for instance, might want to think and read, a little as well. Do I think the government never lies and is infallible? No, of course not, but you cannot demean the courage and integrity of a man like this, who risked his life trying to defend his friends and fellow soldiers. Whine all you want about Haliburton – it's clearly part of the liberal sob story (Obama has indoctrinated well) – I honestly don't see the link that you think exists, but don't defame what this man risked and sacrificed in his service to the country.

February 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • Star-Spangled Bullsh!t

Robert, you simply cannot argue with the Clovers. Blind obediance to the State trumps all.

February 6, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Reply
    • 21 years retired and Proud

Robert. Let's meet somewhere and you can tell me all about your ideas while I kick your ass.

February 8, 2013 at 11:21 am | Reply
      • Rick Perkins

I agree with 21 years retired an proud!!! Robert, why don't you come on down and let's see who can read and who should because it's evident you don't have any idea of what you write, it's obvious you never spent a minute in harms way nor could you be a hair on a Soldiers ass. You and the rest of the liberal idiots who claim to be American's, who never gave anything to this Country but expect you are owed everything for it, can kiss my ass and I hope you get what you deserve, PINHEADS!!!

February 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  13. genengineer05

Hate the war all you want – hate the generals, the politicians – whoever and whatever. I don't care one iota about Afghanistan or what happens to it in the future, but the fact is, this man is a genuine hero by any measure you could use and he deserves that level of respect. Those of you sliding snide remarks out of the sides of your mouths, would be wetting your pants in a situation not one tenth as dangerous as what he endured but you are oh so brave, faceless trolls on your keyboards in the basement, right? Grow up.......

February 6, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Reply
    • Robert

Specialist Tillman is the ultimate man of honor. If I somehow betrayed his honor I will apologize as soon as you make my transgression clear for me.

Specialist Tillman embodies much of what I’ve always aspired to be. Please clarify.

February 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Reply
      • 21 years retired and Proud

Tillman did what most of the soldiers did after 9/11. He volunteered to fight for his country and what he thought was right. Only thing different was he turned down a chance to play in the NFL. It is very unfortunate that we was killed in the prime of his life like most of the fallen soldiers. I lost my brother in Iraq (SFC Labadie) and it doesn't matter how or who killed him, it still hurts the same. Fratricide will happen in every war, it just does. By the way, why don't you join and serve? Until you have keep your typing shut!

February 8, 2013 at 11:39 am |
    • Chooch0253

Yet you participate in the very actions you chastise others for. Do you think you comment "clearly part of the liberal sob story (Obama has indoctrinated well) is anything but a snide remark? Look up the definition of hypocrite.

February 6, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Reply
  14. Mike

What is the Spirit of the Bayonet ?! and what makes the Green Grass Grow ?!

February 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  15. TomT

Staff Sergeant Clinton Romesha, you are our hero. I'm very sorry about Sgt. Justin T. Gallegos and the rest of the troops who paid the ultimate price. Now, to their commanding officer. What the #!@% were you thinking, setting up camp in that position?!!!

February 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Reply
    • Teacher/Military Family

If you read Jake Tapper's book "The Outpost" or at least watch the CNN special on Feb. 7, you will see that Sgt. Romesha's CO didn't choose that godawful location for COP Keating. In fact, the Army was supposed to be closing it down – it just wasn't all that high on their list of priorities, acc. to Tapper. The outpost was named for Ben Keating, one of the first young men to die there – when his vehicle went off the narrow road. You will see that each group of soldiers that came through Keating stepped up & did their absolute best to do their jobs – what the Army had asked them to do – even though they all knew they were pretty much screwed as soon they saw the location of the outpost. Tapper's book shows the kids behind the soldiers that died as men and the men who did what they had to do – and lived to tell about it. Good job, Sgt. Romesha and good job, Jake Tapper, for telling their story.

February 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  16. Robert

Cannon fodder on all sides. The UK may say God save the Queen, while at our core, we chant “God Save Halliburton”

Ask not what Halliburton can take from you, ask what Halliburton has already stolen from under your nose.

From the Gulf Oil Spill, the Yellow Cake, the WMD’s, The Iraqis welcoming us as liberators. Forget any nuance of understanding the Shia or Sunni history.

Ask why our own bridges are crumbling as we build more predator drones and cruise missiles.

Shhhh… Father Halliburton will fix everything… Shhhh….

February 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Reply
    • Machiavelli

Liberal b%#ch.

February 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Reply
      • Robert

Barnacles like you call me liberal because I have enough brain power and understanding to navigate for myself.

I’m a liberal Bi#@h? Coming from you, I’ll take that as a compliment.

February 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • Robert R

So, Halliburton what you're venting about? Sir, let me fill you in on some facts. First, to add some credentials for myself. I have been deployed three times, totalling three years serving in the U.S. military. I also work in the civilian sector for Halliburton. We are WAY past the days of KBR. Halliburton has zero connection to anything even remotely associated with the Department of Defense. These are facts. I have served twenty years, been in combat, and I currently work and support Halliburton. I understand this is an arena to which you can post whatever you like, but I have my right to state facts and defend what I know to be the truth as well. Thanks and God Bless!

February 6, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Reply
      • Robert

Do you spit or swallow?

I’m already aware of the facts that you so eagerly asserted. I’m also disturbed by the lies you also asserted.

Spit or swallow?

February 6, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • Robert R

So now you're flirting with me. Nice. I have better things to do with my time than engage in an immature debate. God Bless.

February 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
      • Robert

My benign replies have been repeatedly blocked.

Are you in the media aristocracy?

Am I allowed to say that I disagree?

Do I still have the freedom of speech?

February 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
      • Robert

I do find it telling that CNN again censors this.

Why? Tell me I’m stupid, tell me I’m wrong. But first, I’d prefer if you told me how, where or why I’m wrong.

February 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
      • 21 years retired and Proud

Robert, when people and CNN tell you your a piece of crap, well it just might be. Ever stop to think your the problem? go away little man.

February 8, 2013 at 11:47 am |
    • Scot B

Wow, this Robert character is quite the troll, isn't he?

February 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Reply
    • 21 years retired and Proud

Did Halliburton fire you for incompetence or something little man? I bet your in your 40's and still live with your mommy. Go away.

February 8, 2013 at 11:42 am | Reply
  17. shawski2013

This guy had a Commanding Officer who should be court- marshaled!

February 6, 2013 at 11:49 am | Reply
  18. Rick

We need to make commercials about heroes like this. Not phony sports stars.

February 6, 2013 at 11:07 am | Reply
    • WAKE UP, AMERIKA

THIS COUNTRY NEEDS TO MAKE COMMERCIALS ABOUT THE DEVASTATING EFFECTS OF (GUILT-DRIVEN) PTSD's, AND HOW OUR "HEROES" ARE ROUTINELY TOSSED ASIDE IN THE TRASH WHEN THEIR "SERVICE" IS OVER.

February 6, 2013 at 11:32 am | Reply
      • Kevin

Spell America right at least

February 6, 2013 at 11:56 am |
    • MIk

You speak the truth.

February 6, 2013 at 11:36 am | Reply
      • prem konatham

I come from India (I call it a budding democracy) and lived here long enough in US (12 years+ building IT Frameworks for private as well as government projects) to understand ways of American living, American history and value of life as a soldier. He is my hero and he along with all Veterans who suffer needs to be taken care of as part of we the people, by the people and for the people. Period.

February 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
      • Sandman

no one comes out the same as they went in.

February 6, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  19. Mark

"fourth living recipient"... sadly this means there are those who received it posthumously. I'm just wondering why this medal is withheld so much. You cannot tell me in 10+ years of fighting in this dragged on war there weren't others worthy. Nice to see though that it doesn't seem to be only officers getting it, like in Vietnam... oh, wait, officers aren't in the frontline fight much anymore...

February 6, 2013 at 10:57 am | Reply
    • MIk

Obviously you never served. Too many movies have warped your mind. Infantry officers are out front.

February 6, 2013 at 11:38 am | Reply
    • John

Mark, take a few minutes and check out the memorial page call "Taps" which names the men and women who graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point, who served and died leading their troops in the war on terror since 2001.

February 6, 2013 at 11:59 am | Reply
      • Mike

hooah to that , also a lot of Privates and other enlisted men received the medal of Honor in Vietnam. One from here in Oregon is Sammy Davis, look up his story and be amazed ..

February 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
    • Steve

To be considered for the Medal of Honor, one requirement is that you have to perform an act which includes an assumption of sacrificing your life. To be clear, that means the act cannot be "risky" – the act you perform has to be an absolute presumption of death. This is why living people don't normal get the Medal of Honor. If you perform an act with a presumption of death....you normally end up dead. In rare occurances, someone lives through one of these acts by the grace of God, and then might qualify to become a living receiptiant of a Medal of Honor (assuming all the other qualifications are also met)

February 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  20. Mike

If only Congress could do their jobs half as well.

February 6, 2013 at 10:49 am | Reply
  21. Joe M.

I wonder if anyone ever got held to account for selecting an indefensible base position.

February 6, 2013 at 10:47 am | Reply
    • Rush

My thoughts exactly.

February 6, 2013 at 11:47 am | Reply
    • Rick

Reminds me of Khe Sanh i968. Back in the day, the REMFS (WESTMORLAND etal) ran the war from the bar in the Rex hotel on Nguyen Hue Blvd in Saigon. The more it changes the more it stays the same.

February 6, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply
    • Rick

Reminds me of Khe Sanh i968. Back in the day, the REMFS ran the war from the bar in the Rex hotel on Nguyen Hue Blvd in Saigon. The more it changes the more it stays the same. Another reason for the confirmation of Chuck Hagel.

February 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  22. Canada

I'm wondering... How many Americans look back at Operation "Shock and Awe" and go... man we made a big mistake. How many look at the use of torture and say...wow, when did we fall from grace? Now we're all cleaning the blood off our clothes and going about our day as if nothing happened.

February 6, 2013 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • WAKE UP, AMERIKA

HATE TO BREAK THIS TO YOU, BUT YOUR SATELLITE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT IS TOTALLY SUBSERVIENT TO WASHINGTON. OF COURSE, YOU COULD ALWAYS ELECT SOMEONE WHO "HAS A PAIR", BUT SINCE YOUR ENTIRE NATION IS SO HELL BENT ON EMULATING EVERYTHING "WE" DO, THAT'S NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN ANYTIME SOON.

February 6, 2013 at 11:39 am | Reply
      • Dan

Lets see, Canadian, isn't that merely a bottle of booze normally not purchased by many? When you decide to lead and not follow, you may then be taken seriously.

February 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
      • Enusmith

REALLY???? FIRST OFF GET YOU SHIFT LOCK BUTTON FIXED. SECOND IS THAT WHY CANADA DIDN'T SEND TROOPS TO IRAQ? BECAUSE WE BLINDLY FOLLOW? GET YOUR HEAD OUT NUMBNUTS.

February 6, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
      • WAKE UP, AMERIKA

A-F-G-H-A-N-I-S-T-A-N.......................SUCKERS! THAT"S RIGHT, ENUSMITH – YOU DO AS YOU'RE TOLD. STEPHEN HARPER MAY AS WELL BE AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.

February 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
      • Canada

We went to Afghanistan on our own accord. Canadians were killed on 9/11 by AL-QAEDA (remember them?) yeaaa.... they were in afghanistan... not Iraq... now looking back at the facts and details....were not even sure about that, seeing as how there's a lack of transparency from your administrations. and You still didn't have anything to say about the torture? that's something Canada doesn't follow you on.

February 6, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
      • WAKE UP, AMERIKA

OH, CANADA – THE TORTURE THAT YOUR ARMED FORCES CONTRIBUTED TO BY HANDING OVER THEIR CAPTIVES TO US, WHILE FULLY KNOWING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THEM? SANCTIMONIOUS HYPOCRITE! YOUR HAND ARE JUST AS DIRTY AS OURS. SUCK ON THAT.

February 6, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Yakobi

None, because we didn't make a mistake. Sit back and relax, Canadian, while the U.S.A. continues to do your fighting for ya.

February 6, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
      • American Living In Canada

Americans aren't fighting for Canadians. Afghanistan and its people pose no threat to Canada

February 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
      • Canada

Every American I meet In Canada has had this "Aha!" moment. It's a different picture when experiencing it from a different atmosphere.

February 6, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
      • WAKE UP, AMERIKA

AS IN "A-HA!....WHAT A NATION OF SMUG @SSH0LES"!

February 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm |
      • Canada

Anybody ever notice the hypocrisy of fighting for independance against an empire... only to become one yourself? and before anyone attacks me for whatever Canada does or does not do.... just think... even for a moment, about your own problems... and they are many. What are Canada's problems? well seeing as how you guys are our biggest trading partner, we got hit pretty hard after your economy tanked from reckless spending and two un-funded, (and one ILLEGAL) wars. now we have to do business with China.... don't really want too... but got no other choice. Man your Bush administration really did ya's in...

February 6, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
  23. Hertz Donut

Staff Sergeant Clinton Romesha = Warrior!

Also, during the engagement, Gen Allen was able to launch nearly 10,000 emails to socialites!

February 6, 2013 at 10:01 am | Reply
  24. Tom

Joseph McCarthy thinks all of his freedom comes with no cost attached.....if there werent heroes like this guy who gave willingly, Joseph would be speaking a language other than English......

February 6, 2013 at 9:48 am | Reply
  25. kake79

Ridley Scott, if you're reading this, make this movie, stat!

February 6, 2013 at 9:38 am | Reply
  26. jdoe

They should name the person responsible for the location of the outpost, and whether that person is held accountable.

February 6, 2013 at 9:38 am | Reply
  27. asg

Just a comment about journalism and writing here. I found it frustrating that the story never mentions the name of the award this man is receiving. It says it is the highest award, and I am curious what that is.

February 6, 2013 at 9:22 am | Reply
    • Whiskey

The Medal of Honor

February 6, 2013 at 9:30 am | Reply
    • marshakat

Medal of Honor

February 6, 2013 at 9:31 am | Reply
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Seriously? How can you not know that? Or how to google? It's the Congressional Medal of Honor.

February 6, 2013 at 9:34 am | Reply
      • GulfWarVet

The distinction is no longer the Congressional Medal of Honor, just the Medal of Honor. The President of the United States presents each recipient the Medal on behalf of the US Congress. So, many lay-people get confused by that.

February 6, 2013 at 9:57 am |
    • howardfeinski

Croix du Guerre.

February 6, 2013 at 11:30 am | Reply
  28. Nodnarbius

@ Colt: we didnt give them the stinger, oly the redeye which was not very effective against the HiND.

February 6, 2013 at 8:35 am | Reply
  29. Pat

What's sad is the some General thought putting the base there was a good idea and probably put it on his OER.

February 6, 2013 at 7:29 am | Reply
    • Pat

*that

February 6, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply
      • Robert

Seriously, why were these guys in this position to begin with? It's like Vietnam all over again "TAKE THAT HILL"!!! Why? "DON'T QUESTION ORDERS, JUST DO IT SOLDIER"!!!!!

February 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm |
  30. joe nobody

Man, talk about a day in hell. There is no coming out of that without some sort of scar. The whole unit went thru the grinder. I wish them all the best, and I am sorry for everyones loss.

February 6, 2013 at 6:59 am | Reply
    • Bob

re:joe nobody: I'll second your thoughts. Absolute horror story.

February 6, 2013 at 9:41 am | Reply
  31. Jb7659

Read Jake Tappers excellent book The Outpost and you will get a pretty good picture of the situation these guys were put in. The base was established on the Pakistan border to intercept Taliban infiltrating into Afghanistan, and to win the hearts and minds of the local villagers. Tappers book details the 5 year history of Combat Outpost Keating and the brave men who served there. Staff Sgt Romesha's brave actions in the final battle were key to repelling the massive Taliban assault and holding the base until reinforcements could arrive. A true American hero.

February 6, 2013 at 4:28 am | Reply
    • Amit-Atlanta-USA

More Tea Party bla-bla-bla.... Just when are these idiots going to learn that we have no right to be in that country in the first place? Would these fools like it if the Russians, Chinese or anybody else sent 66,000 troops to this country? I doubt it!

February 6, 2013 at 8:32 am | Reply
      • John

And you are a complete fool... I guess you forgot a little thing called 9/11... But you are obviously a liberal with no common sense who things he is better then everyone else while you sit in your moms basement... You are pathetic.....

February 6, 2013 at 9:01 am |
      • doledart

I'm assuming your a student there because your comments could only come from someone with special needs.

February 6, 2013 at 9:08 am |
      • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Suck on a 9mm

February 6, 2013 at 9:20 am |
      • marshakat

Actually the US supplied OBL with weapons to fight the Russians in their occupation of their country. Despite the Russians brutality, OBL ran them out

February 6, 2013 at 9:33 am |
      • WouldYouLookAtThat

If another country sent 66,000 troops into our country, the "battle" wouldn't last too long. Mind you, there were several democrats that voted for this war, as well. Quit being childish by bringing politics into everything, honor the soldier for saving the lives he did, and the bravery and courage he showed while doing it. Start being an example of the "party of tolerance" you all claim to be, rather than intolerant of those who see things differently than you do.

February 6, 2013 at 9:55 am |
      • CosmicC

While I think the Teabaggers are a fairly naive and foolish bunch of people who don't understand where their on self-interest lies, calling this guy a teabagger just shows that you don't understand anything about them. They are, by and large, xenophobic isolationists and would agree that we don't belong there, but for their own reasons.

February 6, 2013 at 10:36 am |
      • Rick

@ John To categorize anyone who seems to make comments without having a clue is disingenuous. Most so called 'Liberals' do clearly understand why we were there, a lot of Tea Party Conservatives do not..
        @ Amit-Atlanta-USA Research your history, after 9/11 we gave the Taliban an opportunity to turn over Bin Laden, when they refused to do so they sealed their fate, we had every valid reason to be there, they were sponsors of terrorism and were exporting it all over the world.

February 6, 2013 at 11:39 am |
      • Rick

@ John To categorize anyone who seems to make comments without having a clue as a liberal is disingenuous. Most so called 'Liberals' do clearly understand why we were there, a lot of Tea Party Conservatives do not..

February 6, 2013 at 11:46 am |
  32. bspurloc

Osama is fish food... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED why are we still in Afghanistan? u dont NATION BUILD a waste land that can NOT sustain a military u prop up.

February 6, 2013 at 2:01 am | Reply
    • Solandri

Why are we trying to nation-build Afghanistan? Because about 25 years ago, we helped the mujahideen in Afghanistan fight off a Soviet invasion. When they won and the Soviets withdrew, we said "Mission Accomplished!" and left. And the Taliban moved in, took over, and turned the country into a huge terrorist training camp.

February 6, 2013 at 5:26 am | Reply
    • Jimjam77887

...and so the people felt betrayed. When we returned to get rid of the Taliban we promised them we'd stay this time until they could protect themselves. Since we have been fighting to rid them of the Taliban and trained thousands of personnel so they could have an independent sovereign nation with schools for girls, and freedom. We don't want to break our promise, and if we do, the Taliban would move back in and open their anti western, terrorist training camps all aimed at teaching people to kill us.

February 6, 2013 at 6:32 am | Reply
    • Ehunt

Your right unfortunately. The Afghan people do admire the soldiers but know they will be leaving one day. They can't align themselves with us for that reason alone. People and tribes who support are troops are then targets for retaliation. Then there is the matter of religion which seals the deal. If we had an army of Muslim soldiers it would be very different, we would be brothers in arms.

February 6, 2013 at 10:04 am | Reply
  33. Cortanis

I feel sorry for this man like no other. You can tell loseing his friend like that is going to haunt him for decades to come. Congradulation on the award no one wants.

February 6, 2013 at 1:57 am | Reply
  34. Mike

Missing from the article is why exactly we put a combat outpost in the opposite of a defensible location. I suppose there was probably a reason, but I didn't find it here.

February 6, 2013 at 1:36 am | Reply
    • Mike

(Oh, by the way, I just noticed that there's another comment from a "Mike". That's not me.)

February 6, 2013 at 1:37 am | Reply
    • momo0828

If there was a reason, we will probably never know, (at least for the foreseeable future) because the real answer to the question involves politics. And those who possess the real answers are going to insure that the real answer is never revealed. However, I do believe that this soldier and his comrades served through an updated version of Hamburger Hill reminiscent of the Vietnam era version though no one has called it such even though it was a meat grinder. While I am critical of those who sent these soldiers in that area knowing of their fate; as a former soldier I can and do appreciate his valor in trying to save his own. Because in the end, all they had was each other no one else.
      “Live for nothing; die for something, it’s what we do”

February 6, 2013 at 7:38 am | Reply
      • Rambofuego

The horrendous sacrifices made by all US troops in Afghanistan were unnecessary. A large massive nuclear attack would have rendered the country a wasteland. There is no reason to win the "hearts and minds" of these subhuman goat herders, just kill them. The absolute power of an all out nuclear assault would have sent fear into places like Pakistan, Iran and Iraq. After the mega blasts we should have ceded the waste land to China as a good will message.

February 6, 2013 at 9:14 am |
  35. Joshua Farmer

All I know is that I am thankful AND grateful for soldiers such as Romesha. Even in the simple act of READING his radio call to his comrade, I can feel the emotion. Not a single person posting here can understand what war is like UNLESS they've been in it. Minerals in Afghanistan? I agree with BLAH BLAH. We aren't going to waste our time stealing other nations' natural resources. Before you start ranting and raving about oil in Iraq, look up the numbers on HOW MUCH we import now as compared to BEFORE the Iraq war....IT'S LESS today. I really get sick of reading comments by all the "Church of Google" Internet lovers complaining about OUR country. I mean, move to another country or learn some nationalism.

February 6, 2013 at 1:31 am | Reply
  36. Devin M

I feel we are all missing the point. This is not a policy maker, he's not on the JCOS. He is a soldier, told to go there and do a job. And he did it, possibly under greater duress and with more poise than anyone else in the past 10 years of American war. How about "Thank you SSGT Romesha. As a fellow active duty service member, thank you for saving my fellow servicemen and women's lives." If you can't say that and move on don't say anything at all. Feel free to wonder over to the cartoon section, this man is protecting your freedom to do that.

February 6, 2013 at 1:11 am | Reply
  37. Mike

Listen, Afghanistan was and will ALWAYS remain a backward muslim country (let's be honest, only reason Turkey is doing fine is because they embraced western idealogies) be it with us there or without. The Taliban/w.e other "peaceful" group of monkey's will come back and the population will happily cheer them on. Solution: Just bloody burn it. We can probably make enough Napalm to burn that hole. Terrorists understand only one thing: force. With force we will make them fear us.

February 6, 2013 at 12:11 am | Reply
    • Maraia

Backward comment.

February 6, 2013 at 12:17 am | Reply
    • Michael

Agreed!

February 6, 2013 at 10:26 am | Reply
  38. @Joseph McCarthy

Always remember this man protects the rights of cowards like you to play keyboard warrior, without threat of authority.

February 5, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Reply
    • abnguy

Amen

February 5, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  39. Semper F

Macarthy, you are a total ass clown. Common said it best............G....F....Y, all the way with a red hot poker

February 5, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Reply
    • George Patton-2

Good grief Semper F, you sound like another run-of-the-mill Tea Partier spewing your right-wing hate at anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with you. In fact, I agree with Joseph here. Moreover, we have no right to even be in Afghanistan anymore than the Russians had. The only difference between them and us is the motivation. The Russians were motivated by their ideology where we are by Afghanistan's vast underground mineral resources valued at an estimated $1T plus dollars!

February 5, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Reply
      • blah blah

LOL seriously? so you think we are gonna fly their puny mineral wealth all the way to the states (landlocked country) despite the fact that the logistics trump any benefit? OOH a whole trillion. Thatll be so worth it to try and mine admidst a populous thats is fighting us. Seriously how could anyone come to such a nonesense conclusion three minutes of google let you understand how preposterous it would be to make anything out of that mineral wealth especially when we have places like arizona and west virginia and etc to mine from. 10 minutes of google will let you understand the fact that we have next to zero busines interest there. And seriously why would we. China pakistan and iran are the business partners there, guess what thats based on GEOGRAPHY! sheesh. Why the frack you think you can tie your name to General Patton's is beyond me.

February 6, 2013 at 12:03 am |
      • Nodnarbius

The Russians were in Afgahnistan for opium to use in their chemical warfare program. They were unable, at that time, to synthesize it. We – the United States – trained and armed the people who would them become the Taliban, including Bin Laden. When we abandoned them to the Soviets we lost our honor and respect there and became as much, if not more, of an enemy to them. Islam fueled that hatred, but it didnt start the fire.

February 6, 2013 at 8:31 am |
      • John

I guess you don't realize that those mineral reserves were found after we went in, no one knew how large they were till years later. Also, do you remember that little think that happed on 9/11/01?? How quickly you liberals forget... just tax the rich right.. that will solve everything... as long as you still get your free phone.....

February 6, 2013 at 9:10 am |
      • Bob

OK George. You had your say. Now go put your head back in the sand.

February 6, 2013 at 9:48 am |
      • the REAL George S. Patton

There's a cowardly left-wing lunatic poster posing as me. I did not write that above.

February 6, 2013 at 11:45 am |
  40. Joseph McCarthy

I guess that this clown Clinton Romesha is going to be as popular as any rock star by the way he is made such a hero out of. I don't think that any Russian was so highly praised as this bozo is.

February 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
    • common sense

GFY

February 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Reply
      • Norm

+1000 common

February 5, 2013 at 10:57 pm |
    • John Geheran

Talking about the Russians Joseph, they didn't have those ungodly drones nor any of those Apache helicopters nor night vision goggles to fight the Muhedjeddin with. Moreover the had no allies on their side either when they were in Afghanistan during the 1980's. Finally, unlike here in America, the war was never popular in Russia!

February 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • Jordan

No but they did have the Hind helicopter, dropped bombs on anything that moved, and the Mujahedin didnt have nearly the same weaponry the afghans have today, which is stuff all left behind from the soviet occupation. Read a book or watch a movie. The tactics and weapons on the battlefield are constantly evolving. And either way what does any of that have to do with this soldier putting it all on the line to help his brothers in arms? And on the night of the attack he is being given the MoH for, they received zero fire or air support.

February 6, 2013 at 1:03 am |
      • ColtAR15

No John, the Soviets didn't have the benefit of the weaponry you describe. They also didn't count on US Stinger missles being provided to the muj. Leveled the playing field, as the Soviet helicopters had previously been impossible to overcome...and none of this has anything to do with Mr. Romesha receiving the MoH. Focus John, focus.

February 6, 2013 at 1:17 am |
      • bspurloc

they had the CIA against them.... training OSAMA and the gang....

February 6, 2013 at 2:00 am |
    • Tom

The guy is a hero.....his actions speak bravery......you on the other hand are a jerk who 's bravery only includes turning on the tv and offering stupid opinions. How do you think you got the right to speak so stupidly? Its because of the bravery of this guy and others who went before him. You need to wake up and add something to this country instead of your dumb ill made comments.

February 6, 2013 at 9:31 am | Reply
    • CosmicC

Afghanistan is referred to as the Soviet Union's Viet Nam. Although there are similarities with how it was viewed at home, Afghanistan was facing an Islamist insurgency and they turned to their patrons, the Soviets, for help. We reacted in cold war fashion by assuming that the enemies of our enemy must be our friend. In reality, we had a common enemy and were too blinded by ideology to realize it.

February 6, 2013 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • Michael

You are a sad and strange little, little Man. I hope you die a horrible disfiguring death, after you suffer for at least a year

February 6, 2013 at 10:29 am | Reply