January 23rd, 2013

Military to open combat jobs to women

By Chris Lawrence, with reporting from Barbara Starr

[Updated at 9:30 p.m. ET] The U.S. military is ending its policy of excluding women from combat and will open combat jobs and direct combat units to female troops, multiple officials told CNN on Wednesday.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta will make the announcement Thursday and notify Congress of the planned change in policy, the officials said.

"We will eliminate the policy of 'no women in units that are tasked with direct combat,'" a senior defense official said.

The officials cautioned, however, that "not every position will open all at once on Thursday." Once the policy is changed, the Department of Defense will enter what is being called an "assessment phase," in which each branch of service will examine all its jobs and units not currently integrated and then produce a timetable for integrating them.

Go to CNN's iReport to share your thoughts on women in combat

The Army and Marine Corps, especially, will be examining physical standards and gender-neutral accommodations within combat units. Every 90 days, the service chiefs will have to report on their progress.

The move will be one of the last significant policy decisions made by Panetta, who is expected to leave in mid-February. It is not clear where former Sen. Chuck Hagel, the nominated replacement, stands, but officials say he has been apprised of Panetta's coming announcement.

"It will take a while to work out the mechanics in some cases. We expect some jobs to open quickly, by the end of this year. Others, like special operations forces and infantry, may take longer," a senior defense official explained. Panetta is setting the goal of January 2016 for all assessments to be complete and women to be integrated as much as possible.

The Pentagon has left itself some wiggle room, however, which may ultimately lead to some jobs being designated as closed to women. A senior defense official said if, after the assessment, a branch finds that "a specific job or unit should not be open, they can go back to the secretary and ask for an exemption to the policy, to designate the job or unit as closed."

The official said the goal remains to open as many jobs as possible. "We should open all specialties to the maximum extent possible to women. We know they can do it."

CNN readers skirmish over women in battle

Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican who spent six years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War, said he supports lifting the ban on women serving in combat, pointing out women are already serving in harm's way. But he said the move should not fundamentally change the military.

"As this new rule is implemented, it is critical that we maintain the same high standards that have made the American military the most feared and admired fighting force in the world - particularly the rigorous physical standards for our elite special forces units," McCain said in a statement.

By the numbers: Women in the U.S. military

Thousands of women in the military have already found themselves in combat situations, said Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington. Recent wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan have lacked a real front line, and women serving there have come under fire and had to fight back alongside male counterparts, she said.

Murray, who leads the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee and is a member of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, called Panetta's decision a "historic step for equality" that recognizes the role women play in the military.

The Pentagon must notify Congress of each job or unit as it is sent up to the secretary to be opened to women. Then the Defense Department must wait 30 days while Congress is in session before implementing the change.

It is a marked difference from the way the military ended the exclusion of gays serving openly, or the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. In that case, there were no stipulations attached to openly gay service members. There was no staggered approach that integrated openly gay troops into units. It was instead done all at once, across the board.

A senior defense official explained the Pentagon's reasoning behind the different approach: "You're talking about personal choice of behavior versus physical capability. And they were already in the units. If you take a unit that's never had women before, that's quite a culture change."

Another senior defense official said the goal is "to provide a level, gender-neutral playing field."

The American Civil Liberties Union recently filed a federal lawsuit against the Department of Defense, charging that combat exclusion is unfair and outdated, harms America's safety and prevents women from receiving training and recognition for their work. The plaintiffs, who include women awarded Purple Hearts, say the exclusion places them at a disadvantage for promotion.

Former troops say time has come for women in combat units

The ACLU said it is thrilled about Panetta's planned announcement.

"But we welcome this statement with cautious optimism, as we hope that it will be implemented fairly and quickly so that servicewomen can receive the same recognition for their service as their male counterparts," Ariela Migdal, senior staff attorney with the ACLU Women's Rights Project, said in the statement.

Earlier this month, the Army opened the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment to women, and it has begun recruiting female pilots and crew chiefs. The Navy has put its first female officers on submarines in the past year, and certain female ground troops have been attached to combat units in Iraq and Afghanistan. More than 800 women were wounded in those wars, and at least 130 have died.

soundoff (3,552 Responses)
  1. Brian

I have served with women IN COMBAT in Iraq. The few that I was with were braver than some of the sniveling men in the unit. Granted they are not physically as strong as men but the few that I was with were as mentally tough. I would not want to serve with a prissy female in combat just like I would not want to serve next to a prissy male in combat. I dont know how they will lug around a mortar tube and base plate in the infantry but I don't mind them by my side.

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  2. Josie

I'm am not too sure of this. Having served briefly myself, as have several women I know and admire. Outside of combat units, females get their fair share of combat (depending on their job). I do have to state, is this were "equal" rights come to play, instead of women embracing being a woman and all that comes with it, becoming like one of the guys to prove they are equal. We don't make men wear anything that is remotely female, but we as women tend to dress just like one of the guys. I am all for equal pay and treatment. But I am also proud of being a women, proud of the fact I am who I am and I just hope one day many others realize that as well.

January 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Reply
    • tethys

They let you serve in a dress? How progressive of them. Give me a break. Not all women aspire to wear lipstick and heels as you seem to. If a few women can meet the basic military standards and want the extra pay and career advancement opportunities that come with combat experience, why not let them have it? Because you think they should be wearing dresses? I seriously doubt you served. I mean, what happened when you got your hands dirty? Did you call for a time out?

January 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
    • badolbear

i am currently an 11b (infantry) in the army. If women can meet a strict requirment to be in the infantryy, which honeslty most of them wont. Be able to carry a 160 pound soldier + 30-40 pounds worth of gear, ruck 12+ miles with a 240b or 240L if their lucky, stay out in the field for a month at a time, or in a deployment go 2+ months without a shower let them in. a 120-140 lb woman will not be able to pickup their battle buddy that is a wounded male with full gear tipping the scales at 200+ pounds. this isnt about eqaulity its able the physical natures of 2 genders. I honestly think this is a mistake, but as the iraq war is over and afghanistan is winding down this seems like the perfect time for a progressive policy to come fourth. It will never be widely implemented in afghanistan and in my opinion serves a political agenda

January 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  3. Antronman

Oh boy, more solutions to the violence of the world! Yes, let's send the people who are loving, and caring to war, and turn them into gritty killers with hearts of ice and fists of steel. I approve comrades. How about next, we start opening up sniper units for women and have them also have no regard for their pals.

January 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  4. Sean

I am all for this but my brother, who is in the army, mentioned that everyone at his basic training was against it.

January 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Reply
  5. Spartan

Lets get a Public Posting of how NOW it will be Mandatory That all females 18-35 can be Drafted as well as males and then lets count how meny females wana play infantry and compare the numbers of civilans that would rather be draft free vs playing infantry and endangering men with there distraction during a fire fight nothing more distracting then a female who is in danger or injured

January 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Reply
    • Cassie

You don't think that women wouldn't want to sign up for the draft? I think it's stupid that we don't do that currently. Any ABLE-BODIED person should have to, male or female.

January 23, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  6. Seattle Nick

And now they're gonna let women in combat roles..... Finally, I never thought I'd be on the receiving end of Chivalry. Where a woman would lay down her life for me. -Willingly!!! Without kicking and screaming!! This world is getting better!! Cause it wasn't long ago at all that all I could count on for certain was for a woman to pick my bones clean in a courtroom. Now, I get to sit here knowing, I'm being defended. I never thought I'd see the day.

January 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  7. krush

"gus I got foxhole duty with Kim tonite, its my turn"

January 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  8. bankrupt1

Step backwards. Being more immersed in patriarchy is not something to aspire to. Let's get men out of the military too. Not healthy for men or women.

January 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Reply
    • Mister Jones

So ... we should have no military at all?

January 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Reply
  9. blake

Another politically correct, but moronic decision regarding the U.S. military by the Obama administration.

January 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  10. alientech

Why not? It's a volunteer force, if some women want to do it, why stop them? Women want equality in everything, let them have at it. Nothing wrong with women dying for the country.

January 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Reply
    • Beenthere

Because they are physically weaker. I would hate to see one of them throw me over their shoulders and pack me back a mile.

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Reply
    • ellid

They already do, and have for years. This only acknowledges what has been going on for a long time.

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Reply
    • zeinland123

If they stick with our standards I'm all for it. But sadly they will not. If they can go fast as us and be a strong as us in the infantry then its all good, but they won't. I'm not some misogynist but I need to trust my battle buddies if I get wounded in combat. Also Imagine Ranger school lowering their standards, its gonna be hell!

January 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  11. Clif Watts

Any Nation that would allow its women to go to battle is a Nation of cowards. Of course, being a Nation that exterminates its young, I should not be surprised.

January 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Reply
    • brian028

Women have been fighting in wars for ages. The biggest contribution by women in a modern war was by the women of the Soviet Union. I would even suggest the Soviets may have lost if not for the Russian woman.

January 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Reply
      • Beenthere

Plenty of pictures of raped dead female soviets taken by the Nazi's.

January 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  12. Mega Montana

First conservatives tell the country to not let the government meddle in our business. So the government essentially says ok women, its your choice to fight in combat, and the conservatives blast the government for allowing the equivalent of freedom of choice? I don't understand lol.

January 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Reply
    • michael

That's because Obama's in the White House. It doesn't matter how good an idea it is, if it's from Obama the conservatives are going to oppose it in their typical obstructionist manner.

January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    • Clausen

Um... I happen to be conservative and I think this is great news. And I'm definitely not alone.

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  13. Macman74

Constant physical training in combat roles. Not so much for admin pogues. Another social experiment for the military to have figure out.

January 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Reply
  14. Ash

Nice Photoshopped image!

January 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Reply
  15. policitical

This happens at the end of every war. Have not seen any women screaming about not being in combat the last 10 years.

January 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  16. rich

Women have been in combat at least since the days of wars with no defined lines. Since Iraq I through Afganistan. Two of my daughters have been to the middle east with one in Iraq twice. The other was in Kuwait. Both of them ran HET missions into Iraq and both of them have been in combat and both of them have the ribbons and combat patches. My son was also in Iraq and was in combat as an MP. He also was involved in combat. In other words those who think that it will "just ruin everything", obviously don't know anyone in the miitary since about 1991. As a Father, I don't want my daughters subjected to a violent death in combat, but would be nothing but a worthless Father if I cared less about the same happening to my son. Get real people/

January 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Reply
    • banlarson

Big difference between riding in a supply truck convoy and actual combat. I'm sure she got her patch because they took some small arms fire or an occasional IED, but combat it was not. Any father that would be proud to have a daughter as a combat grunt is a bit touched in the head. Be proud yes, but what your daughters experienced was not combat, maybe a taste, but not day in and day out.

January 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  17. CGDoc

Other countries allow woment to serve in combat such as Israel with no issue's. If we allow gays equal rights in the military why not Women? Only question is, why now? Going into another war and don't have enough troops to fight it?

January 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  18. mcginnjw

Can women now be drafted for combat duty if there is ever another draft?

January 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm | Reply
    • Flicker an

Women used as cannon fodder will help rich kids and others avoid reimposition of the draft. Foolish.

January 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Reply
  19. Brad76

Men and women are not created equal, I dunno about this...

January 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  20. Joe

They have no place in the infantry. None.

January 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  21. David

Women already serve in combat as a matter of necessity. All this announcement does is is get rid of the dark cloud of technicality that floats over everyone's heads as they worry about some women hating pencil pusher playing the ;against regulations' card.

January 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Reply
    • Clinton

David
      – Apparently you're not very smart, because no they do not. Women are in combat zones, they do participate in military activities but are not assigned to infantry units. That's a whole different ball-game if you know anything about being in the military... Women are not subjected to the same physical fitness tests they do not have to be as strong or as fast and that worries me, because bottom line there are biological differences between men and women and in a combat zone, you need to be able to depend on your buddies... As soon as somebody can tell me how a 130-150 pound woman is going to carry a 200 pound dude out of a firefight, i'll say it's okay for them to serve on the front line... but believe me when i say this... they are not our equal in fighting... in a military squad, you're only as strong as your weakest link... this is a very bad move for the military.

January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  22. Chase

Women should not be allowed. To many issues

January 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Reply
    • A66 year old veteran and hunter

right only men havethe right to die and or lead.........You go girl........I mean you go guy!!!

January 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Reply
  23. Antronman

On second thought, yes let's give women a taste of how hard it is to work your bum off trying to get a job from some guy eating candies at his desk, and then work for hours a day to support the family, then come home and try to relax while your partner screams at you to get off the couch and help clean. Then, instead of sleeping you sit at the computer trying to finish the project so your devilish superior might just recommend you for a higher position. Let's send women to hell in wars, and see how they like having to slaughter thousands without flinching. Yes, let's!

January 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Reply
    • cindykm

A lot of us "wimmin" already do all that, moron, What's your point?

January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    • ellid

Women already do exactly that, plus have to deal with the possibility of being belted or raped by their allegedly loving partners. Cry me a river.

January 23, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  24. ally07

Here is an idea. All female units🙂 ok. problem solved. Well, there is the whole period sinking up thing going on but that could be a good thing.

January 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Reply
    • Joe

bang on

January 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Reply
    • Common Sense

Good idea!

January 23, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  25. krush

322nd civil affairs(Airborne) here. n What about their monthly cycles and I do remember males soldiers competing for female soldiers attention in the field....distractions.......

January 23, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Reply
    • JFCanton

"Female problems" could be treated like any other health consideration. How many women are suited for these jobs is an entirely different matter, though-don't they have higher physical standards? There might be 1 in 50 women who can handle a job that is suitable for 1 in 5 men.

January 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  26. Bob

Women SOF? Craziness.

January 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Reply
  27. Norman

SEND HILLARY...

January 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  28. Daniel

Women embrace emotion, men embrace logic. This is a scientific fact. Men are born stronger, and mature stronger than women, again a scientific fact. You liberals claim to love science so much but ignore it when it does not coincide with your ideals. These female soldiers will a have a logical and physical disadvantage on the battlefield. Again a scientific fact. So the only question remains, why are we putting our troops at a disadvantage?

January 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
    • Dude

Not a fact, much less a scientific one.

January 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Reply
      • Daniel

Actually it is , do a quick Google search to quell your ignorance, or blindly ignore me and keep believing in unicorns.

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • Gray

You are an ignorant man devoid of intelligence, good luck with that.

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Reply
      • Daniel

Small insults and childish remarks won't get you far in life bud. But good job with your excellent rebuttal

January 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
  29. A66 year old veteran and hunter

Note these women/patriots are not carrying assault/battle rifles.........These can be clicked to full..........so the 20 gauge single shot is just as deadly in room full of children..........Go NRA!!!!Keep up the truth taht AR-15s r the same as my shotgun.........
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCqeV-qfuU&w=640&h=390]

http://americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/ And Gabby Gifford although shot in the head is trying to take away my gun/tank/close air support.........Where are ya NRA when they, them, those, leftist, commys, righties, martians are trying to take away my right to bear arms, I mean armies, I mean B52's........You get em Wahne LALAND

January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • david

It sounds like it is time for you to turn your guns in.

January 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
      • A66 year old veteran and hunter

Right, but listen to the viatribe of NRA and see if I need to turn in my weapons...............

January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
      • A66 year old veteran and hunter

BTW this original comment was pointed at the gun huggers/NRA..........For an old white guy like myself, they scare even me!!!!!!

January 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
    • joe slow

This is whats wrong with the NRA's members– the mindset that guns are life and life is guns.

Hey grandpa, instead of picking up a gun, how about picking up a musical instrument?

January 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Reply
  30. Ben

Didn't Israel try this because of a lack of manpower and wasn't it a moral disaster and reversed?

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Reply
    • You are an imbecile

women currently comprise 33% of all IDF soldiers and 51% of its officers?
      So much for a "disaster", you idiot.

January 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Reply
  31. LongLivetheQueen

The US military is ending its policy of excluding women from combat and will open combat jobs and direct combat units to female troops. “In order to curb violence and make for a safer America, we will also eliminate the longstanding policy of issuing magazines (check the photo) to combat troops,” a senior defense official says.

In other news, an encrypted message sent by Piers Morgan to a high ranking British military official has been intercepted. Homeland Security is currently working to decode the message. But an unnamed source has informed CNN that the opening sentence of the message says, "Time is nearly right to retake Colonies.”

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  32. david

Well if nothing else at least when they are captured the interrogators will be able to have a good time with them before killing them. Ahh the spoils of war.

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  33. What!

If a women can make it through BUD/S under the same stipulations as a man then more power to them. However you can't send a women into the frigid ocean in just a plain tshirt...hello!

January 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Reply
  34. banlarson

Major mistake, one that will be overturned after the first female is captured and publicly tortured. Some women have been fighting for this...they will regret it. Combat is not glamorous or something to aspire to be part of. Believe me, I've been there done that. Why any woman (in her right mind) would willingly want to be a part of it is ignorance, plain ignorance. Women can shoot as good or better than men (proven fact), but combat is much more than simply shooting. You are only as good as a unit as your weakest link. We have just weakened our combat force; plain and simple.

January 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Reply
    • tethys

They've been lowering the educational standards for the Army for YEARS because men just keep getting dumber. Not trying to be mean but it's true. It's not surprising that they'd eventually have to lower physical standards to keep the same number of troops available.

January 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Reply
      • lolpoliticsarementalsick

no tethys. there used to be a draft. so your feminism is showing. cover please.

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
      • david

We can tell they are getting dumber, our voters prove that.

January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
      • tethys

Here's a link, d-bag. I win the internets. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2008/01/dumb_and_dumber.html

January 23, 2013 at 6:22 pm |
      • banlarson

Don't think it's a male vs. female issue. America in general is getting dumber, you just have to look at the education rankings around the world. Besides, you have to be pretty dumb these days to enlist given you will most likely serve 3 or more combat tours. Of course Obama is ending all our current wars and pulling troops home. That just means the fight will come to America rather than over there. They (radical Muslims) will not stop, America is less safe when the troops come home and there is nobody to take the fight to them.

January 23, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
    • lolpoliticsarementalsick

That's the truth... Nobody said the truth was fair.

January 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Reply
  35. jeff

Did woman in general really want this? Or is this the government getting desperate.

January 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Reply
    • tethys

I did. 18 years ago I scored the highest on the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational test) than anyone in my high school for the last five years. My suggested career was "Combat Specialist". I met with a super excited MALE recruiter who was all too happy to tell me that they would LOVE to have me in the Army the second I graduated High School, but I could work supply and not get anywhere close to being a "Combat Specialist." I said, "If I get a job I can make more money than the Army pays for your supply job." He said, "That's true, but you'd be in the Army!" And I said, "Who cares if I can't do anything fun?" So I didn't enlist. I was disappointed as hell.

January 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
      • banlarson

Bet your wife is glad you didn't enlist.

January 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
      • tethys

I'm not gay but thanks for the concern.

January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
  36. Mister Jones

This will cost lives.

January 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Reply
    • tethys

Yeah. 'Cause no one dies in WAR, duh.

January 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Reply
      • Mister Jones

MORE lives. Sorry you needed that spelled out for you.

January 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Garth K

It will, mens lives....cause as we all know a women can do a mans job, as man can do a womans job. Lives will be lost cause ppl have to change there bigoted mine. Bad enough people said that my type of ppl will destroy the military....hate to say gays haven't destroyed anything. lol. I know women who are more of a man then they were.

January 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  37. lolpoliticsarementalsick

I know a few women who would do great in combat, and a few who can handle a gun better than most men. But in general this strikes me as political correctness run amok.

January 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  38. Donald George MacDonald

It remains a common individual and social tragedy when Christians, Jews or Moslems express beliefs in God, then are coerced or inducted to wound, kill or die for their countries or causes. It is especially tragic when any world citizen who feels love, and who shares love with others, enters the military and goes to war. It is tragic when our finest youths still agree to kill other equally perfect human beings.

Most people have been indoctrinated since birth by government, church, family and friends that “Thou Shalt Not Kill,” except in wars. It often appears that our morality still changes to suit the needs and desires of the moment.

January 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
    • lolpoliticsarementalsick

you need to get a grip on reality.

January 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Reply
      • Donald George MacDonald

II was fortunate to survive your "reality."

II likewise defended my leaders’ chosen causes when I volunteered to enter the military in 1969 and volunteered in basic training to go to Vietnam. I was subsequently decorated with the Air Force Commendation Medal for my one year of service in Vietnam. I then served as an in-flight crewmember on a C-141 personnel and cargo aircraft for another year and delivered military personnel and equipment to over 40 countries. During that year, I routinely returned to Vietnam in order to take healthy personnel and weapons in, then to take the bodies of our boys and our injured back home.

II performed my duties to my country faithfully, but slowly became less faithful to my changing morality and myself. Eventually, I could no longer conscientiously contribute to causes condoned and to conflicts created and continued by my Commander-in-chief. I requested and received an Honorable Discharge as a Conscientious Objector.

January 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm |
  39. acedynamo

I'm all for equality, no problem here, women have fought throughout history alongside men, but there is going to be some raping. We just need to be aware of this. Usually the bad guys mutilate torture and execute our troops, before dragging their broken bodies down the streets the camera. We just have to be ready to add gang-raped to the list.

January 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  40. MATT

Makes sense. Girls were some of the most violent people I knew in high school

January 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  41. Edwin Segura

Guys dont give up. women are making it out of the kitchen, if we dont stop them now, soon they will force us to pee in the toilet seating down.

January 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  42. clark1v

so why in the world was the decision made prior to the assessment of feasibility within each service? Answer – politics.

January 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Reply
    • tethys

How would you do a feasibility assessment without actually letting them in?

January 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Reply
      • lolpoliticsarementalsick

It's the military. THey have their ways.

January 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm |
    • Daniel

January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Reply
  43. david

With all the gays flocking to the military, maybe the women will be setting the new physical standard.

January 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • Edwin Segura

You are so , but so wrong. There are not enough gay men in the military, thats why they are calling on women, to do what the few gays could not accomplish. I say let more gays in to see if that creates a balance.

January 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Reply
  44. eviltaxpayer

This simply makes liberals "feel good" doesnt have to make sense.
    This really IS the stupidest thing Ive ever heard of but if it helps divide the nation, then its good for obama and his america hating liberals-

January 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
    • david

AMEN!

January 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  45. woodsa1

Just like CNN to get half the story right, the military are opening certain units to females. Not line units.

January 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  46. Antronman

Heh...you guys are missing the point. By 2014, not one drop of military influence will be left in the middle east. Obama is withdrawing all military presence. These girls won't have load a single bullet, let alone put a foot out of their transport. Sorry to disappoint the femenists, but no 5 foot tall 20 year old is going to get a medal of honor in this decade, or the next. Even before, when women were not placed in combat units but they weren't all ladylike as it was in the early 20th century. There are some pretty tough women out there, but thing is...it's not meant to be. There's a reason why women weren't placed in the infantry: respect. They weren't drafted, not only because they were like china tea sets, but the U.S. didn't plan on sending out women as target practice. You guys want women to get shot to pieces in the 30 years it'll take until our military goes someplace else? Fine, but when you complain about how many more of them are dying, it's not going to be my fault.

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
    • Greenspam

A woman can control a remote airplane to bomb out your ass as good as a man.

January 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Reply
      • retiredsgm

True, but there is more to being a pilot sitting at a console day in and day out. In fact they probably have to lug a lot of equipment around that is quite heavy. As far as I am concerned , this gives the guys a firm legal leg to quit signing up fir the DRAFT. Now I will bet anyone that we start lowering the physical requirements for combat skills. P.S. the women in the Army already have PT standards that prove they have almost no upper body strength and endurance. I still remember the times when 17 year old women were allowed more time for 2 mile runs than was allowed for 52 year old men, and it hasn!t changed.

January 23, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • Anthony

First off I doubt it'll be 30 years before we go somewhere else.
      About the medals of honor... I wouldn't be too surprised. I'm willing to be when the first combat unit with women soldiers goes to combat, something will come about to make one deserving of the medal, if for nothing else than to make this decision of theirs look good.

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  47. Whatever

I dare any one of you morons to say some of this stuff about women to THIS MARINE's face... come on, I double dog dare you...

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
    • david

WOW! One out of 300 million. What an overwhelming argument you present.

January 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Reply
      • Whatever

She entered the Marines in 1978... when did you, Mr. Know It All?

January 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm |
    • Joe R.

When and where? I love dares.

January 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Reply
      • Whatever

I think she is at Quantico now...

January 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • Anthony

A marine having a tough time of things in Norway (lot of fighting going on there?) and she started as a supply clerk? If you stay in long enough you have a pretty good chance at commanding somewhere. Also notice they lowered the rank of the commander by 2 ranks just to 'allow' her to command.

January 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Reply
      • Whatever

She served in Iraq. Did you?

January 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
  48. the cost would be to high?

Current pass rates for men in basic training are from 70 to 90 percent. Give me 100 male trainees and you will get up to 90 trained solders. How many women out of a hundred can pass the same, non-reduced training? 10, possibly 20? Truth is I don’t know, could be less. The main argument here should be cost. Why would we settle for 20 solders when we can get 90 with the same effort and expense?

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
    • tethys

You can't and that's why they are doing this. It's an ALL VOLUNTEER army and then men ain't volunteering like they used to. These women aren't taking spots away from men. There are as many men to fill them. Recruitment is low because it's wartime. People used to sign up just to get college $$$. Now they know they have to fight and they go work at McDonald's instead.

January 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Reply
      • Jemarcus

That is ENTIRELY UNTRUE the military has wayyyyyy more recruits than they have job slots, there are men waiting 10-12 months to go to bootcamp. Maybe before posting stupid comments, you do one simple google search.

January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  49. larry darrell

The funniest part of the entire push for women's "equality" is that women are far worse off because of it. Taking away everything that makes women women simply reduces the to men....nice job.

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  50. ArmyVet

I am an Army male veteran of 22 years and have utmost respect for our female counterparts. They in every respect can accomplish the mission. It depends upon the "individual". Some females might not be comfortable in a combat role just as MANY male counterparts are not. It is not a matter of testosterone, but a matter of sacrifice and a willingness to serve.

January 23, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Reply
    • Clinton

With all due respect, i am a veteran myself and i completely disagree with you... I carried the load of many of my female counterparts when i served because they were not strong enough to move equipment around, they couldn't march as far or as fast as us... Yes i believe Women have a role in our military but man, you know as well as i they simply aren't physically equal... tell me in a combat zone, if you're a 185 – 200 pound dude, how you expect a female counterpart to drag you out of a firefight if you're injured? many of these women are maybe 135-150 pounds? come on man, lets not mince words be honest about it.... you can't do that to the front line troops.

January 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Reply
      • ArmyVet

It all depends upon the situation. I have carried the load of many male and female. But I have had many females carry the load in combat for those males who would not. We have had all different experiences and in instances from where I have been, I would place my life alongside thos of my female counterparts.

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
      • Franky

Thank You. But it goes beyond that.... why do we need women in a firefight. Ok, strictly from a national interest point of view. To keep any society going you don't need that many men but you need as many women as possible because from a speciel standpoint 1 man can have many more children than 1 women can. So, why would you put the women of your society to be killed if ou are trying to protect that society? It's stupid.

Beynd the average physical differences, I mean there are women like Lindsey Davenport, Hulk Hogan's Daughter, and Serena Williams but they aren't the average women, and even then a 5'9" 150 man is still going to on average be far stronger than a women of equal stature and weight. This reminds me of the Monty Python , "how could a 5 ounce bird carry a 1lb coconut".

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm |
      • Donovan

Honestly, i think the system should simply be performance based. If a women can pass the test, let her in. If she can't then don't

January 23, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  51. Rev Dr Felix Nwosu

this is great opportunity for women who want to be in real force,women equality is gradually coming up as promised by obama government. that's good and nice.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  52. AlienShark

I guess this the end of the empire. How ignorant towards the nature of humanity we have become.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  53. TD

np – but they should make the PT test equal...if you want a mans job then be able to do what a man can do (physically) esp when others can get killed...if they can pass it on equal stds then let them do it...think the same goes for fire fighters and cops

January 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • pat

Yeah, our police and fire fighters are the picture of fitness....

January 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Reply
      • Reasonable Dude

That's not really relevant to the core of TD's argument. If women want to fight alongside the men, they need to be able to pass the same tests, and you haven't given any reason to believe otherwise. It's the essence of equality to hold everyone to the same standards.

January 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
      • Greenspam

I can. A woman can multi-task better than a man. How about mental tests that require multi-tasking. That's a test women can beat men and military can certainly use many multi-taskers.

January 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
    • Anthony

This brings in a whole new problem in that I would guess maybe 10% or lower of women who try will be able to match the standards given to men... this is going to be a huge cost in training just to have so many fail out.

January 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Reply
  54. lilyq

And with the stroke of a pen, there go the last vestige of chivlary. ugh

January 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • tethys

Since when does keeping a woman from more pay and career advancement = chivalry?

January 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Reply
      • lilyq

It doesn't.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
      • Franky

What does that have to do with women in combat?

January 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • pat

dude, chivalry's been dead for quite some time. Lately, it's just been used as an excuse for subjugation.

January 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  55. Troup Brazelton

Now women can register for the draft just like men are required to do and if Rep. Rangle (D) get his way women can be drafted just like men.

Wonder how much support there really is for women serving on the front lines in combat?

January 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  56. Franky

January 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Reply
    • lilyq

Yes! Thank you! Who is going to care for the children?

January 23, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Reply
      • Cassie

Not him apparently, as he just admitted he would beat his daughter for something that is none of his concern. If she chooses a military life path, that is her choice, not YOURS.

January 23, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
      • Franky

Cassie just cause you have daddy issues and feel a need to be rebellious that's on you. Like I said, no Taliban, no Terrorist, no whatever is going to lay hands on my daughter and have his with her, period. You live your life how ever you want ... but no self-respecting man , would not do his utmost to prevent that kind of ending for his child. I give a ....k about what you think is her choice or not. Not gonna happen. Over my dead body.

January 23, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
  57. Farrok

Many Women are excellent rifle shots and are mean as Hades so let them on the rifle line.

January 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  58. greg

This isn't about women's rights, it's about doubling the fighting force without having to use the draft.

January 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  59. Moko

All the wars mankind had were caused by resources and territorial issues. Hitler wanted to give all Europe to the Aryan race. Men have the obligation to do the dirty and heavy work (like fight in a war) to protect his country and his family.
    War was an option of politics, but nuclear weapons made it a less interesting option.
    Now that the world is based in a Mutual Assured Destruction with nuclear weaponized countries like USA, China, Russia, UK, France, India, Pakistan, etc. IT IS NOT LOGIC TO ALLOW WOMEN TO KILL AND BE KILLED IN COMBAT.
    TO COMPENSATE THE DISCRIMINATION WOMEN SUFFERED IN THE REFUSAL TO USE THEM IN COMBAT, LETS EXPEL ALL THE MEN FROM THE MILITARY, LEAVE THE WAR TO WOMEN, AN MEN WILL STAY AT HOME DRINKING BEER, WATCHING FOOTBALL, WHILE WOMEN FIGHT IN WAR!!!

January 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
    • Imagine No Religion

Actually, most (if not all) wars are/were based in the perverse concept called religion.

"War is over, if you want it. War is over, now." - John Lennon

January 23, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Reply
    • cindykm

By all means, please do. There will probably be a lot less warfare if we try that.

January 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Reply
    • JJ

Couldn't agree more, Moko! Send in the women to fight all the wars and leave the men out of it! Problems will be solved peacefully in days without men shooting each other trying to prove how big their penises are.

January 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  60. Troy

Wow, I thought this was a story from the 1970s or something. Women weren't in combat??

January 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
    • Aud

I'm right there with ya Troy, I had no idea either, wow.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  61. justababymaker

I'm so sick of the flowery "Women are lifegivers not lifetakers". It's just a stupid way of saying "Yall, git back to birthin them babies!!".

January 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Reply
    • Clinton

justababymaker
      – I'm not saying women can't handle being in the military, but be honest with yourself, women are not as strong as men and you know it, i was in the military and there are very brave strong women that i'm proud to say belong in the military, but they are in roles that allow them to do a job that doesn't require them to be as strong as their male counterparts... combat roles are a totally different beast, I was always aware that the women in my unit weren't as strong as I was... but it didn't matter that much because we weren't infantry... This is infantry you're talking about... you're talking about their job is to hunt down the enemy and kill them... These females will need to be every bit as strong and fast as their male counterparts or they will slow them down and that absolutely will be the case... women simply aren't as strong as men... it's biology... You think a 135 pound women has a shot in He11 of carrying a 200 pound man out of a firefight if he goes down? Because that's what will be asked of them... you're simply not thinking clearly about what's being talked about here.

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
      • pat

Do you think women should be allowed to fly a plane or work in a submarine? Cause this is really what this article is about.

January 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  62. Clinton

Cindy,
    I keep seeing your name out there in defense of putting women on the front lines, can i ask you are you a female soldier? – my experience in the Army was that most women couldn't keep up with most men, particularly when it comes to ruck marches, Carrying or moving heavy equipment around etc. ... heck most women weren't issued SAW's (Squad automatic weapons) or M-249's because they simply didn't have the strength to carry them fully loaded in Iraq. Now this being the case, why does it make sense to put women in combat roles when they are not equal to their male counterparts... I'm sorry but the bottom line is men are built to be stronger and faster than women, that's a biological FACT not a gender biased idea.... You put every man in that squad's life in danger by putting someone who is weaker in the group because if you know anything about being in the military you should know you're only as strong as your weakest link.

January 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Reply
    • stanley

The solution to your problem is simple: impose a uniform physical standard. It seems that your argument is not against women in the military, but against weak people in the military, in which case I couldn't agree more.

January 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  63. Rob

That's why everyone packs baby wipes. Everyone.

January 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Reply
    • Rob

In response to those wondering how to keep clean in the middle of nowhere for weeks or months at a time. Adapt. Overcome. Carry on. Complete the Mission.

January 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  64. Ranger

6 year vet and all I will say is this, if any woman can make it through Ranger school the way I did (without changing the standard) than more power to her and she deserves to serve with us.

January 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Reply
    • Ed

You know they are going to change the standard – like they do for everything else. It won't fly if no women can pass the current standard – in the name of "politically correct" and "equal opportunity" standards will be changed.

January 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
    • Vet543

Until she demands a separate living space and showers...

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
    • pat

He never said demand separate showers or change the standard. He simply said if a woman could go through the training he went through they'd be deserving. Why do you have to make his comment something it's not?

January 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
      • Mister Jones

Because that is what is going to happen. Women are going to need separate living spaces. And they have different hygiene needs. I was Navy, but I have seen the way the Army and Marines do things, and this is going to make a complicated situation into a worse charlie foxtrot. This isn't making anything better.

January 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm |
  65. Joe

"The existence of the combat restrictions clearly indicates the basis for Congress' decision to exempt women from registration. The purpose of registration was to prepare for a draft of combat troops. Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them." -Majority decision Rostker vs Goldberg 1981

January 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • Ed

Looks like time to change that decision if we want to be "fair".

January 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  66. jenkins05

As a famous man named Nelson once said " HA HA "

January 23, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Reply
  67. David

I'm in the military and right now women are not required to pass the physical fitness test on the same level as I have to. Why not? Double standards as usual.

January 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Reply
    • Ed

Because they can't pass the same physical fitness test – they are weaker by genetics. Makes no difference with a gun – but in hand to hand combat they are as good as dead.

January 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Reply
      • Joe

When has hand to hand combat ever happened in the modern era? name a single instance.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
      • Chris

A single instance of hand to hand in modern war? Are you kidding? How about the SS given to the Ranger for killing a man with his bare hands? How about the Brits doing an actual bayonet assault in Iraq? I personally was in a hand to hand fight – and it was in Kosovo, the lowest level of zone there is. There are hundreds of examples if you just look, all in the last few years.

January 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
    • Greenspam

Because war is not won by physical strength anymore.

January 23, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  68. Fields

Has everyone lost their minds?

God help us if we ever actually have real war again...

January 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Reply
    • mindstorms

In case you haven't noticed we have been involved in a real war for the las decade.

January 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Reply
    • Ed

Lost their minds assumes they has one in the 1st place.

January 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  69. Frank

Perfect!

They want equal pay and equal this, and equal that!? Then with equal pay and equal benefits of being a man COMES EQUAL RESPONSIBILITY! I have been saying to put them on the front line from the get go and see how they like the s***ty end of being a man rather than all the supposed benefits of being a man.

Now lets start having automatic custody and child support start going to the DAD for a change and see how they like being a MAN!

January 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Reply
    • D. Carter

I agree-it's just sad it could affect women that want to be women (not men) and serve their country in the military but not in combat. I don't want to hear these liberal, "I am woman hear me roar" types gripe when it's their daughters, granddaughters, etc dying in combat. You asked for this.

January 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply
      • Franky

I am liberal and it annoys me to know end. I believe the "women are equal" in the sense that their value to society should be considered equal. So if they do a job , pay them the same, as you would aman doing that job. However, I do not believe women and men are equal in any way shape or form. And that was nature, not my doing, we are different, it doesn't mean one is better than the other. But I believe we have a problem, you have women who want to be women, but don't want to do isht, they don't clean, they don't cook, they get nannies, what is their purpose? Then you have women who want to be men, and then no one is home with the kids, as society has been setup for men to be out working. So, basically, now everything is fxik. I don't believe in women in combat and I beat my daughter if she ever even contemplated such a thing, I would never want to even think about some Taliban who captured her, calling his buddies in some they can try some of that "Western". Not gonna happen on my which, and I'm an uber liberal Obama supporter, but this is too much for me.

January 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
      • stanley

If Franky really is a liberal, I'm appalled at how little respect he has for his daughter's decisions. He clearly believes that because he's a man, he gets to tell women what they can or cannot do, and what kind of risks they should or should not undertake.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
      • Franky

Call me whatever you want , there will be no Taliban making a snuff/rape flick including my daughter, not gonna happen.

January 23, 2013 at 9:21 pm |
  70. lsn2me

females are, by nature, empathetic, compassionate and nurturing. they are designed, genetically, to live in harmony and to be aware of the needs of others. children would not survive their dependent years if this were not so. men are lacking (not all men) in these genetic endowements for this is evident in men's cruelty (not all men) to man and animals alike. males create war and are responsible for untold violence and suffering imposed upon the innocent creatures of this planet. men (not all men) tend to be the narcisists who's goal is to conquer and control. women do not have this propensity toward such objectives. it is sad to see women behaving as men, especially at this critical time on planet earth, when the earth needs to be attended to through common sense and selfless compassion. these women have the right to fight as men do. but why do they? we live in patriarchal societies that still teach that it is more respectful to be male or to take on male qualities. only when women own their collective feminine power, will wars cease.

January 23, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Reply
    • Frank

___________________________________________________________

Their kids are NOT SURVIVING IT. Women now days choose their own selfish needs over raising their kids an taking care of family as nature intended it. Our children in this country are TERRIBLE.

January 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Reply
    • Franky

Finally, I'm sorry women are crazy. Empathetic , oh my god I've never seen a more selfish creature created. They are simply more emotional and aware of emotion, which I guess is the definition of empathy.

January 23, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • pat

Your opinion on how women are "by nature empathetic, compassionate, and nurturing " only points out how ignorant you really are. You may prefer women and men to adapt to gender stereotypes, but that doesn't make it "nature". It only makes you ignorant to how "nature" works.

January 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Reply
    • Franky

Pat, pick a side. Buddy. There are inherent differences in men and women, maybe it's nature versus nurture, but there are plenty of studies on this women, are more aware and empathetic, meaning feeling emotion. For example, they studied reaction of women versus men shown images of violence, mens empathatic region is simply far less active. Now you can argue this was developed afterwards but I disagree, I think there is a genetic component. It's like Oxycotin, the hormone, which causes a women to bond to her child or male for that matter is far more prevelant in release in women, versus men. They did an experiment with prarie dogs and removed the gene that produces the oxycotin and at birth you know what those prarie dogs did with the child, absolutely nothing. Honestly, there are genetic differences Obvious with men and women, and then more subtle differences. It's not to say one is better than the other, but there is. And it's not absolutes but law of averages. On average a man is far stronger than a female. On average female shows greater signs of empathy. Does that mean man A is less empathetic than female B, not neccessarily but it's simpy an average meaning given the average , yes, it would be the case.

January 23, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Reply
  71. Franky

So, you think you are more likely to get raped in a base than as POW in an enemy camp? ARe you listening to yourself. While I see your argument, but a base you have some sort of potential refuge, and you are not expressly there to likely be tortured as a POW, there is no uch illusion. The argument you make is simply silly to me. Like I said if the women who sign understand the consequences if captured then, you like it , I love it. I don't have any kids, but fxi.k no would I ever encourage my daughter to be in that position, I'm sorry. Call me old fashioned but in some regards men and women are not equal , and I'm ok with that. I have no problem with differences.

January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  72. Jackson

And they can end the war in seconds with the following line...

"Oh, this is so typical of you, enemy soldiers....this is JUST like that war we had three years ago, when you said this would never happen again, and like a fool, I believed you....well, trust me enemy soldiers, there are going to be some changes in THIS relationship, that's for sure"

The enemy will surrender before that speech is done.

January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
    • Hitman

Lmao!

January 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Reply
    • Greenspam

You are a lucky man if your woman only remembers mistakes you make from 3 years ago.

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  73. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

War is Hell. The kinds of atrocities of war just got expanded.

January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
    • Kathy

Perfect wording. It's bad enough too being a minority female in a unit like that not in war. Only a very tiny portion of the unit will be open for females, making them extreme minorities, in a rough male environment. And let me tell you, most of them wont treat female soldiers with respect. There are already other line units open similarly to women, the Army needs to look into those and see what it's really like before jumping the gun.

January 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Reply
      • Hobo

Respect is earned..... everywhere.... Not just in the military.

January 23, 2013 at 6:45 pm |
    • Kathy

Is this what you tell rape victims and people with mentall illness or disorders?

January 23, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Reply
  74. NorCalMojo

Until they're required to register for selective service, it's just a first world indulgence.

January 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply
    • Ed

This has nothing to do with "equality" – it just sounds politically correct. They will not make women register for the draft – they would lose too many women votes. Just like men, women prefer to let "someone else" actually do the combat.

January 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Reply
  75. Hitman

I hope that every woman in the u.s. enlists. Then my son won't have to fight the wars brought on by u.s. corporate greed!

January 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  76. David

Men and women are not the same, why can't people accept that. Let's see how people feel when they start seeing their mothers, daughters, wives, and sisters coming home in body bags.

January 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply
    • Sammy Z

You mean as opposed to our: Sons, brothers, husbands and fathers?

I'm amazed by your intellectual acuity. Our: Mothers, Daughters, Sisters and wives are already coming home with psychological scars, physical damage, missing limbs and in body bags.

January 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Reply
      • ben

Yes. More women suffer and for doing a lot less. There are more women in VA hospitals being treated for combat fatigue then men and they were never in combat. More men will die because the female soldier in their platoon will not be able to carry her own weight.

January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
  77. Lee

About time! Equal rights come with equal responsibility.

January 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Reply
    • squantojoe

About time??? Are you serious? This is not a political corectness issue nor awomens rights issue. This is a degradation of society and a destruction of family perpetrated by the establishment whom by the way is run by foreign banks.

January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
      • pat

Dude, I hate to tell you, but the biggest banks running this country are right here. Now don't get me wrong they do their best to F/// us every chance they get, but there isn't some big foreign power here.

January 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
  78. phearis

Okay, now about shaving their heads in boot camp and holding them to the same PRT regulations as men? Women want to be treated equal, then treat them equal.

January 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • 7th ESB Utilities Platoon eerrrrrrrr...

@ phearis......Women can not shave their heads in the Marine Corps it is considered "eccentric" there are strict conservative guidelines on dress and grooming standards in the Corps

January 23, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  79. gmenfan54

"I have PMS and a Gun...any questions?"

January 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  80. Olaf Big

Everybody wants lower taxes and spending cuts. This is where your tax money goes to waste. Can you imagine what it costs to accomodate gender divide in combat units? Our only concern as citizens and taxpayers should be how to make our military better and more efficient at defending the country. Yet, we are allowing women in combat not because this will make our military a better fighting force, but to accommodate a small but very vocal activist minority that sees this as a political issue. At the very least, women who want to serve in combat should meet the same performance standards as men, including physical fitness, and not demand special accomodations in units where they are a small minority. Under these conditions, the very few women who want and can serve in combat alongside men will be able to do that, but the rest of us will not have to foot the bill for their career choice.

January 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • pat

Who's saying there should be different standards for male and female soldiers.

If it's any help, the reason behind this is to make jobs previously closed to women that should have indeed been open actually open. See the last paragraph in the article, "Earlier this month, the Army opened the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment to women, and it has begun recruiting female pilots and crew chiefs. The Navy has put its first female officers on submarines in the past year......"

January 23, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Reply
      • rogerr

Because those are not direct combat roles. This is painful to see someone push their feminist agenda without knowing some of the basic history of the matter. Look up the Marine Corps times article about two female Marine Corps Officers who attempted the infantry officers course and quit after 20 days. Not failed, quit. Also look up what General Gray had to say in 1994 to Congress about women in combat...this is coming from a guy who served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, all as a commander in the infantry community.

January 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm |
  81. squantojoe

Impeach NOW

January 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • GeorgeW

consider. -another try at ANYTHING other than concentrating on fixing this economy. Taxing the "rich" isn't going to do it, even at a 200% tax. This topic is just another DIVERSION to get america divided and not watching the next $35Billion increase in China trade deficit this next month or the several thousand more jobs being outsourced, or gathering information on the hundreds of thousands of jobs outsourced that our graduating college seniors should be taking, as the IRS continues to allow those expenses for outsourcing to be tax deductible, shirking US payroll taxes, local, state, and federal income tax as well.

Its also really interesting how this hits the media, just as the gun ban talks run out of gasoline. Why are we wasting our time on any of these laws that are trying to "fix" something that isn't broken. It's our ECONOMY that is broken, largely due to corporations given tax breaks and being allowed to deduct expenses of outsourcing jobs. It's our ECONOMY that is broken, largely due to corporations given billions of tax dollars in federal contracts and being allowed to deduct expenses of outsourcing jobs. Its about having unfair trade policies with China and no protection to the US economy, while the US treasury prints another wheelbarrow of money to buy bread with. Good diversion folks !!!!

January 24, 2013 at 2:10 am | Reply
  82. Saint

Going the Gaddafi/ Assad way.

January 23, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Reply
  83. gadzod

What is a female going to do when they're out in the desert, no water, no hygiene capabilities, no nothing? Its not just a physically demanding job. A male can go long periods of time without having to clean themselves. Females can get some serious health problems if they are not able to clean themselves. Some of these combat soldiers go weeks, sometimes months without a means to cleaning themselves....

January 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Reply
    • 1775

Babywipes... just like the males do

January 24, 2013 at 7:48 am | Reply
    • Moggie

The female reproductive tract is relatively self-cleaning. All those baths with scented soap are an affectation. It's true that a woman who has to go a few weeks in a hot, humid environment without a shower or change of undies might get a yeast infection–her male comrades might get jock itch in the same conditions.

January 24, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  84. Jim

Presumably if the draft were to be reinstated, women would now be equally likely to have their number called? Fair is fair. I don't want to die in some jungle in Vietnam looking at Bubba if it could have been Marisa Miller.

January 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  85. nick

i am 1000% for women's rights, but this is a freaking joke. this is taking "equality' to a level of failure.

January 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • Andrew

How do you figure? Women were handed the vote while at the same exact time 18 year old males who couldn't vote yet were fighting and dying in Europe. Men have long understood that the rights we enjoy in this country are not free. Thomas Jefferson knew it "“Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.” It's about time women actually paid for the rights they were handed.

January 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Reply
  86. Clinton

BAD BAD Idea....
    I'm sorry as a Former US Army Soldier, i can tell you this would be a bad idea... women in the Military do great things for us right now but one thing they always lag behind in is physical fitness, and that's not a knock on them, it's just biology, Men's hearts are 40% larger than women's on average... we're built to be stronger, faster, etc. and Women can't keep up... I know this for a fact... I had very smart helpful, brave female comrades in the Military with me, but i know for a fact putting them in a line unit would be a terrible idea... on the line, being strong matters... being able to carry gear and move fast and have that endurance... matters... and the bottom line is, Women can't keep up with that... Just leave it as it is... women do great things in the military now we should be happy with the way it is now.

January 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • Navid

Well also consider that as pow's women will be likely to be raped more frequently then the males.

January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  87. Michael

This is an atrocity! What next equal pay? A woman president?! I am FREAKING OUT HERE. (sarcasm)

January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • rogerr

Thanks for your imput Michael. Having never served in combat, I'm sure you are a good judge in these matters.

January 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Reply
      • Michael

Actually, I have! Surprise moron I am an OIFV AND I just got back from Helmand Province 6 months ago.

'input' not 'imput'

January 23, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
  88. Joe

Didn't the supreme court sight the combat exclusion as the reason why women didn't have to register for selective service?

January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Reply
  89. Franky

I'm sorry this is a dumb idea. I have no problem with females fighting but IMHO not until you run out of men to do it. If say we are invaiding a nation, I see no need to send females into combat roles, if we are being invaded, obviously it's a different story.

January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • braydenmaine

we arent sending them out there to do it, they are volunteering. this isnt a draft. if the women want to fight fore their country, let em.

January 23, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Reply
  90. Stanley

I would welcome it if I were a male soldier. Our guys deserve to get a little tail while they are in combat.

January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Reply
  91. Edwin Segura

What would the taliban do, if they capture a platoon with 20 female soldiers?

January 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Reply
    • tethys

If the women don't care, why should you?

January 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • pat

Probably the same thing they would do if the capture 20 male soldiers. Rape, torture, and kill them. The risks are no different.

January 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Reply
      • Edwin Segura

They rape male soldiers? didnt know that one but one thing is for sure. not matter how long you keep raping a man, even if the soldier cooperates and tells you he can take more punishment. He will not get pregnant.

January 23, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  92. Nat Reader

People (mostly older men) here are acting like women in the military or combat is novel. Surprise...we are one of the few countries that does not have it. And having met soldiers from around the world, they talk of women just as brave, strong as they are. There have been women POWs who have endured torture. There have been women carrying packs....it is about time the gold OLD boys here realize we are one of the few countries left that bask in male tainted views.

January 23, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Reply
    • George

Yes, but we're also one of the few countries on earth that fights real wars, not just peace keeping missions or parade duty. Just look at the Israeli example for why this is a bad idea. They tried it, it was a horrible failure. Social policy makes for bad defense policy imho.

January 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  93. laura

Finally! Now I need to write my heated letter to Treyarch, creators of Call of Duty Black Ops. There are no female soldier avatars. However, there is a variety of different races and languages so making a female avatar shouldn't be hard. Starting in on one of the multiplayer games, you can hear an officer say, "Pick it up, ladies!" Very upsetting. Many of the males playing have disgusting self-made emblems that are disrespectful to women such as a woman's private parts. I am sick of it! Maybe they will listen now...

January 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Reply
    • Common Sense

Yes, they need to redo the game so they guys wear skirts and carry tampons in their purses...... Call of Duty III: Balls in Your Wife's Purse

January 23, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Reply
      • laura

You sound just like all the other guys who play this game. They get mad when I say there needs to be a female avatar and when a female does better then them. I also don't use a purse, not every female does. Figure it out!! Get a new name. Common sense more like Loser in Denial. We aren't in the 1950s!

January 23, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
  94. Buck

Since NASA allows women to 'fly' up to the International Fake Station, then they shouldn't be limited to faux duty....

January 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  95. Hitman

The sky is falling! What's next?

January 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Reply
  96. SeeThruIt2

Can women carry the same load (ie. a 100 lb ruck as a radio operator in addition to the weapons & ammo) and live within the same hygene standards (ie. no separate toilet facilities) when a small 10-12 person team deploys for weeks in hostile environments? (And we don't allow individuals to wander off for bathroom breaks.)

January 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Reply
    • Nat Reader

hmmmm....yes

January 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Reply
      • Dawn

... No. No, they can't. Flail about screaming "Women's Lib" all you want, a physical fact is that men are created *stronger* than women.

January 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
      • rogerr

Actually no, read the Marine Corps times about two female officers who attempted the Infantry Officers Course and quit, not failed, quit, after 20 training days. Women are built different then men. And until we start fighting strictly female enemies, we should continue to pit man against man.

January 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Eep

Why not?
      I'm not in the military and I carry a 60lb pack regularly.
      And if you arent capable of squatting and taking care of business outside
      then you are a pathetic excuse for a human being.

January 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Reply