January 12th, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Karzai doubts all U.S. troops will leave post-2014

By Samuel Burke, CNN

In the only interview that President Hamid Karzai granted while he was in the United Sates, he expressed confidence to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour that the Afghan people will accept the United States’ demand for immunity for American troops left in place there after the 2014 withdrawal.

Karzai rejected the notion that has been floated that the U.S. might leave “zero troops” in Afghanistan after the pullout is completed at the end of 2014.

He told Amanpour that Afghans need some type of U.S. presence for “broader security and stability” after the withdrawal. For that reason, Karzai believes Afghans will have to grant the U.S. troops left there immunity.

“The United States will need to have a limited number of forces in Afghanistan,” he said, but was unwilling to give an exact number. “That’s not for us to decide. It is for the United States to decide what number of troops they will be keeping in Afghanistan and what strength of equipment those troops will have.”

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Amanpour • CNN Programs • Karzai
  1. Robbin Goal

Very nice post and straight to the point. I don't know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you folks have any ideea where to hire some professional writers? Thanks :) Robbin Goal http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 5:12 am | Reply
  2. Buy Neopoints

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really realize what you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally discuss with my website =). We will have a hyperlink exchange agreement between us

January 16, 2013 at 1:41 am | Reply
  3. Doc

Hello Bangash, I hope you and your family are good, safe and secure. I understand my friend. We share common concerns and genuine care for Afghanistan. Our perspectives may differ, but we can work together to help people. I am not in AF at this time, but I hope to return in June 2013. Tell me, what has American / NATO forces destroyed in Afghanistan? I am confused on your thoughts on that matter. Remember, NATO forces are only there due to the destruction of 9/11 in the USA as a result of the Taliban in AF and their support of Al Queda's terrorist training camps who supported global terrorism, etc..... also, remember NATO forces helped AF defeat the Soviet Union who REALLY invaded your country in aggression... the West, the USA/NATO forces are NOT the problem... we have worked to defeat the forces, both the Soviet Union and the Taliban / terrorists who have raped your country...nonetheless, maybe you can understand my perspective... when America came to Afghanistan a decade ago ... your country was at the end of a terrible rule of the Taliban who persecuted, executed and plundered what was left of your country after the Soviets were defeated...my friend, your country was destroyed WAY BEFORE American forces got there....can you understand that? I say that when America leaves next year...your country will be MUCH better than when we first got there. My friend, the USA and NATO forces are NOT morally bound to rebuild your country... morality is a matter of subjective consideration.... not something government can be accountable for... sure, it would be nice if governments were "moral" but they are not...none are... never have been, never will be....so you can forget the hope that other countries will BUILD your country out of a sense of obligation or morallity... I wish it would happen, but it will not. Moreover, look at your own country... why have you LET others like the Soviets, the Pakistanis and Iranians attack you and rule over you... I think I know the answer... your country is so divided within itself... maybe you are Tajik, or maybe you are Pashtoon, or maybe you are Hazara... but whatever... your country cannot even unite with one another to form a peaceful, working government... I work with people all over AF...at the MOD, MOI... and several provincial/village tribal leaders.... the corruption in your culture is systemic and will always be a problem for your poor people. The answer to your problems are NOT from other countries.... you will NOT get your problems solved from other countries...not now... America has tried to help you...maybe we have failed....American's do not give up easily....we always believe we can help...that is why we have stayed in your country so long...we have been refusing to give up trying to help you...but now, Obama and American people have decided that we have tried long enough, have spent enough of our nation's treasure and blood to help your country... sure, we have made mistakes, everyone makes mistakes, but we have tried our best....now, it is time for us to leave..... YOU and your tribes must solve your own problems or you will forever be the victims of the Paks, the Iranians, the Arabs, etc.... this is not new... it is not what I want...it is not something I like to say... it is just the truth...look at your own history... even without foreign interference...your country has always been a struggle of tribal conflicts...and always will be..I hope the best for Afghanistan... I really do... I want peace and economic prosperity... but my fear is that your country just wants other people to give and give and give...and that some people in your country always want to play the Blame Game...blaming others for your own problems.... that time has run out.... people around the world are finally learning how it is... Afghanistan has always been a worn-torn country..and always will be as long as the tribal leaders, corrupt leaders, take the money from the drug lords in Pakistan and encourage war and destruction. Good luck my friend... I hope you stay safe, and your family stays safe...and you can enjoy peace and happiness in your life wherever you are.

January 15, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  4. No Hindus In My Backyard Please

50 million girls in India have gone missing in 3 generations through practices like infanticide, feticide, deliberate starvation, dowry murders, bride trafficking, honor killings and witch hunts !!!! We need to demand accountability and action from the Indian Hindus and the Indian Brahmin government to stop female genocide in India forthwith. It is immoral, illegal, against all civilized norms, against the principles of most religions and above all it setting a bad example for all the neighboring countries. We strongly urge you to join this movement that is now ongoing on all social media.

January 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Reply
    • Sunshine100

I agree with you 100%. Your thoughful comments I think will have a larger, more effective impact with people via Change.com. Take a look and see for yourself. Keep on posting, OK? Thanks.

January 15, 2013 at 11:17 am | Reply
  5. Charlie Muse

Come, Seek and Discover. Match India's medievalism to your heart, its girl trashing ways to your mind, and find a smelling experience that is yours alone. An India like no other. Dirty, Backstabbing and Cult Like. A Financier of Terrorism. DISGUSTING INDIA. COME, COME, EXPERIENCE!!!

January 14, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Reply
  6. Abdul Rahim

First I share my condolence with those whose sons or daughters have been killed during Afghanistan War whether Afghan or Americans, a big issue which people are facing is corruption which president Karzai is doing nothing! If he want to eradicate corruption he should start investgation on his own brother then on his two voice presidents Karim Khalili's brother and Fahim Qasim's brother

January 14, 2013 at 4:22 am | Reply
  7. drones luv pakis

the only way to bring peace in that area is to go to the root of the problem..the epicenter of terror...which is pak and its numerous terrorist camps which provide safe haven to all the terrorists who run in to afghanistan cause trouble and then run back and hide in cesspit pak...unless pak is isolated and declared world terrorist and their so called nukes immobilised ther will be no peace in the afpak area..

January 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Reply
    • craig

interesting
      I thought it might be Islam
      silly me

January 14, 2013 at 12:03 am | Reply
    • Bibi's The Man

Keep us the good work drones luv pakis!

Keep spreading hate and fear. Yeah, let's K I L L everyone who may RESIST US!

Pakis, freedom loving americans, arabs, who will someday kneel before us when we rule the middle east, persians who resist us and who are our biggest threat, and the Chinese and Russians, who know us to be the vipers we are.

But we don't care, we rule America!!

January 14, 2013 at 4:24 am | Reply
  8. Aaron Chany

Terrorists Killed, Weapons Seized in Hama

Meanwhile, units of the Armed Forces clashed with an armed terrorist group near the crossroad to Qassarin village on Hama-al-Salamiyeh road.

SANA quoted a military source as saying that the army members seized machineguns and various types of ammunition during the clashes after killing and injuring all members of the terrorist group.

A unit of Armed forces, in a qualitative operation, destroyed terrorists' dens, vehicles and tools they were using in their criminal acts in Tayybat al-Imma and Jinan towns in Hama countryside.

A military source told SANA reporter that 3 DShK-equipped vehicles, a mortar and a den for terrorists leaders were destroyed in Tayybat al-Imam town.

The source added that the engineering units foiled terrorists' attempt to detonate 9 explosive devices planted on the road between Tayybat al-Imam and Qamhana in Hama countryside.

According to the source, another unit inflicted heavy losses upon terrorists and destroyed a vehicle fitted with heavy machinegun in Jinan town.

Terrorists' Dens Destroyed in Daraa

An army unit destroyed several dens and gatherings for terrorists in the towns of Tafas and al-Yadoudeh in the countryside of Daraa.

All terrorists inside the dens were killed in the operation, in additiont to the destruction of their weapons and ammunition.

January 13, 2013 at 9:18 am | Reply
  9. Bangash

Three decades long US military engagements in this region has led Americans, Afghans, Pakistan and rest of the world to where we all stand today. Afghanistan completely ruined, Pakistan is on line, smoke before the fire in USA is visble and as a whole world is seen, moving towards third world war. Is there any logic in following what since last three decades has given nothing else except deaths destruction, recession and humiliations as true humanbeings. Taliban have already refused to accept single foreign troop on Afghan soil which mean blood shed will continue as usual and US corporatocracy will continue death merchandise. Americans should realise that how wrong yeterday can be right today. Taliban reject your military face with just a stick in the hands but they will never reject you with just a carrot in hands as being Afghans they love friends but hate enemies to the last. So behave like a friend, remove guns bombs and replace them with Engineers, Doctors and other professionals to build Afghanistan. I guarantee you Taliban will love you more then any other Afghan.

January 13, 2013 at 3:22 am | Reply
    • Doc

I have been all over Afghanistan... more than 90% of the Afghans themselves....not as a warrior...as a helper...a teacher. The Taliban would capture me if they can...in the past, nowdays, and in the future. They oppose things like education and help...and they always will. Just accept the facts, the truth and stop living in a world of hopes and dreams. If you support the Taliban... you are lost, your family will be lost...and your country will be lost.

January 14, 2013 at 12:36 am | Reply
      • Doc

The Taliban are uneducated poor who live on the promises and propaganda of the narco-traffickers from Pakistan. The Taliban fighters are told they will become weathly ONCE their Quetta "bosses" are back in control of Kandahar where the drugs fields flourish. IT is a huge, global war against the underworld of crime, violence and murder. The crimminal bosses in Pakistan only use Islam fundamentalism to fool the poor into fighting for an eroneous cause.... Islam is only the tool, a twisted perspective on life...the religion itself it not the problem...it is how it is being twisted and used against peace. The thugs that support the fighters want only money...the fighters are living on misguided promises and hope... then, there are the few who think they are smarter than the rest and are also foolish for thinking the Taliban represents something it has NEVER proven itself to be...NEVER nor EVER.... Again, those who support the Taliban will surely get what they reap, .... hurt, abuse, death and destruction...it is what the Taliban want... so the drug lords can sell their products and weapons.

January 14, 2013 at 12:44 am |
      • Bangash

Doc it is simple. If you bomb, kill and occupy their land against their will and then expect them to be friendly is living in fool's paradise. What I insist on is conclusion of three decades long US military engagement in this region and its impacts on USA and rest of the world. Doc how

January 14, 2013 at 9:36 am |
      • Bangash

Doc how I can support Taliban when I see them a part of US global strategic designs, by paving the way for landing of US troops on Afghan soil. Once US is out of Afghanistan Afghans will sit together to find ways as three decades wars have made them convinced that it is now a time to live in peace. US and rest of the world are moraly bound to support emergence of consensus between all Afghan groups for peaceful Afghanistan for peace in USA and rest of the world. This is a new millinium wherein Great Game and New World Order type games have no place. I t is a time to make the world a better place for future generations as wars have always ended in hell.

January 14, 2013 at 10:00 am |
    • Doc

Sir, I appreciate your desire for peace... I share that with you... and the idea of Afghans sitting down together to work out the details for a peace program is a wonderful idea... but not likely to happen though... at least based on decades, centuries of strife... the present country known as Afghanistan today... is a geographical region, with many cultural aspects that in many ways prohibits a centralized authority that would be needed for peace... simply put...it is not going to happen....especially as long as outside forces, both men and economics, compete for the drug trade there... remember the USA does NOT want to be there... and in fact, will NOT be there much longer...soon enough, it will become evident of the violence and chaos that and will rule the land for centuries... I have many, many friends in Kabul, Mazar e Sharif, Jalalabad, Herat, Kandahar...trust me...the young and educated youth are in great FEAR of what will happen with the USA forces for peace leave...don't believe what you hear in the media...the present Afghan National Army (ANA) cannot survive without the West's support. And, the West is tired of working to help people and getting verbal abuse from those who have no appreciation for the support... I am fearful that people like you are so misguided in thinking that the USA is the problem that when it becomes evident that you are wrong...it will be too late for the poor average person in Afghanistan. I know. I have been there and done that. The Afghan people love Americans. The Taliban misguided youth and crimminal bosses of Pakistan do not and want the USA forces to leave so they can rape the country again. Trust me. AF will fall into chaos within 12 months of the USA's departure. But, then you can blame the USA for not doing enough while we were there...right? Who are you going to call on for help next time the Taliban murder the innocents, prevent the women from human rights, and destroy the infrastructure of the country? Iran? Pakistan? Saudi Arabia? India? Hmmm? I believe those boys have enough problems keeping their own house in order...right? Or do you place the blame for all of their woes on the good ole USA too? No doubt.

January 14, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Reply
      • Bangash

DOC I am an Afghan and living here since generations. We are always victims in the war between the East and West otherwise see the history we have never invaded others however have resisted invadors which is quite natural and you too cannot ignore. My point is that America and rest of the world have destroyed Afghanistan and now they are morally bound to build Afghanistan which is possible only if military is withdrawn and same funds are diverted towards the reconstruction of the destryed infrastructure. Within two years you will feel a pleasent change in the Afghan landscape and demography as by nature Afghans are friendly, loving and sincere in social behaviours. Respect for guests in their areas you might have seen therefore they are in no way barbaric the way being projected in war on terror. Bombs, Tanks, guns and Army in decade long war have failed therefore it is time to correct what has proved wrong. Leave Afghanistan militarily but live here for ever once proved true saviour and true friend of Afghans.

January 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Doc

January 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  10. Caramba

Karzai runs to India when he needs to take a s-hit. He is a RAW agent.

January 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Reply
    • Bibi Owns You

What a dopey comment Caramba . . . . we zine-0-ists aren't through with you stu-pud americans. We have iran sourrounded with your stup-pud military in this slave's country. We need at least 15,000 of you dorks to fight our war against Iran. Get real . . . .when will you learn we have taken over your country.

Think about it: Why would your military be in Afhganistan all this time ever after being told you dumb jerks have killed the ghost bin-laden? Your military in there waiting for orders from us israelies to attack Iran.

Geee . . . don't be so dumb.......Opps! I forgot you are dumber than dumb.

We own you stu-pud Americans. We are the zine-0-ists of isra lies and we own you dorks and dopes.

Just watch more TV and all your problems will go away. If you are good we'll let you buy an apple for $5 on credit. Maybe we'll give you some food stamps.

Just stay stupid like we like you to be!!

ha ha ha we laugh at you in tel-aviv.

ha ha ha yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

January 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Reply
      • frankie

Remember Adolph,jewboy!

January 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm |
  11. desert voice

The longer the U.S. stays in Taliban, the more roads and schools are built. There is also military know-how and equipment, that stays. The Pshto Taliban, and Pashto Karzai himself has every reason to keep Americans in Afghanistan! It is quite possible that the daughters of the Taliban study in the American-built schools, and that theeir sons are being trained for the new army. This army will probably never fight Taliban!

January 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Reply
  12. desert voice

That is exactly what I have suspected. Karzai may have a tacit agreement with the Taliban, never to allow the U.S. to leave! They will keep provoking enough incidents, so that the U.S. stays for another several decades!

January 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  13. Quigley

I'm afraid that Hamid Karzai is right about this. Knowing the right-wing thugs in Washington, we'll have troops in Afghanistan until the last dog is hung! In the meantime, our economy here will deteriorate even further while our roads and bridges fall into disrepair and more and more of our schools will close. This is how Washington does business!

January 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  14. We should go......

Let the afghanis hash out their own problems...we got BL.
    If they hit us again, we hit them hard, again...with no rebuild.

as for the pipeline there...let private security handle it.
    worse thing that could happen is China rolls in......and they WILL forever dispel the myth of Afghanistan being" the graveyard of empires". both the russians and the us hesitated to slaughter every man, woman, and child.. hense they are "defeated". China has no such limitations.

January 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Reply