December 1st, 2012

USS Enterprise is retired

From the Cuban missile crisis to Iran's threats, USS Enterprise finally comes home for good. Chris Lawrence reports.

1. JZG

And it is good to now know the legacy will continue: it has been announced that CVN-80 will be the next USS Enterprise

December 4, 2012 at 10:21 am | Reply
  2. JZG

Farewell Big E, you have served well. We will miss you.

December 4, 2012 at 10:20 am | Reply
  3. Mineman

Enjoyed a couple of brief stints on the Mighty E. We trained Ordnance types about loading wing stations and belly loads with weapons. Assisted onload and offload of weapons stores. Great people and dedication. A privelege to visit them.

December 3, 2012 at 3:13 am | Reply
  4. Robert

Served on board from 1992 to 1996. I'm glad to have been a part of the history. I'm also glad that I've heard the next Enterprise will be a carrier.

December 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  5. john

Is there any non H0M0 reporters at CNN? I know Anderson Cooper is H0M0.

December 2, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Reply
    • Robert

I'm not sure what your idiotic comment has to do with the article, but it truly shos your I.Q. is in the toilet.

December 2, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Reply
      • Robert

And I hate typos.

December 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
  6. StanCalif

I also served my time on the Big E. What an amazing ship! So much power in a floating city. I was aboard when the disaster occurred in Hawaii. Huge explosions on the flight deck. My friends lost their lives pushing airplanes off the ship. I worked for the flight deck division, but in the office just below. After a rapid repair in Hawaii, we where sent to Viet Nam. We conducted a few days of operations then sent north to the Yellow Sea because the Chinese or Koreans were making trouble. After floating around for a long time, doing nothing, we were sent to Singapore for our R&R.
    Singapore was a great visit! Then, we were ordered to return home. Our reactors were in need of refueling.
    We returned to Alameda, CA to discharge all aircraft and other materials. Soon we set sail for the East Coast. We could not fit through the Panama Canal, so we sailed around the horn. Crossing the equator is a big deal for sailors. We had our ceremony to induct all "pollywogs" into Neptunes reign. Then we got to visit Rio! Great stop over,
    After Rio, we sailed north to Virginia. Before arriving, we went through perfomance excercises. These exercises demonstrated the awesome power of this machine! All classified secret, of course. All done under the cover of night. Full power ahead (no one knows the true speed but it is well beyond 60 knots). We went through hard turns, banking at least 45 degrees! I know, I was onboard!
    In the shipyard in Newport News VA, huge "derricks" were placed on the flight deck. Workers cut through no less than 23 decks to access the reactors. This ship was never designed to be refueled. When aboard in the shipyard, I received an early discharge, We lost the Viet Nam war and I was no longer needed! The Big E continued in service, now it goes to the scrap pile.

December 2, 2012 at 10:00 am | Reply
  7. Portland tony

Served aboard the Big E back in the day as a civilian technical advisor on a couple of WestPac cruises out of Alameda California. The only Ship in its class and the first nuclear powered carrier was remarkably fast and of good design. Her Hull lasted for more than 50 years. Now I guess they pull the reactors and and all the warfighting equipment and sell her for scrap. My hats off to the many officers and crew members who served their time aboard her for the last half century! A job well done!

December 2, 2012 at 6:35 am | Reply
  8. M chute

I had the priveledge to get close a personal with the Enterprise when she visited Halifax harbour on the way back to the USA from the middle east in 1996. I accidentally sailed my 35ft yawl inside the exclusion zone arould the anchored carrier and was met by some serious dudes in rubber boats armed to the teeth and inviting me to "get the hell" away. LOL

December 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  9. Jannai

America is the root of all terror. America has invaded sixty countries since world war 2.
    In 1953 America overthrow Iran's democratic government Mohammad Mosaddegh and installed a brutal dictator Shah. America helped Shah of Iran to establish secret police and killed thousands of Iranian people.
    During Iran-Iraq war evil America supported Suddam Hossain and killed millions of Iranian people. In 1989, America, is the only country ever, shot down Iran's civilian air plane, killing 290 people. ha ha ha
    In 2003,America invaded Iraq and killed 1,000,000+ innocent Iraqi people and 4,000,000+ Iraqi people were displaced.
    Now America is a failed state with huge debt. Its debt will be 22 trillion by 2015.

December 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Reply
    • Waronlies

The stupidity of your comment is astounding.

December 2, 2012 at 1:28 am | Reply