Another delay in Maj. Hasan's court martial for Ft. Hood massacre
October 22nd, 2012
05:36 PM ET

Another delay in Maj. Hasan's court martial for Ft. Hood massacre

By Larry Shaughnessy

The US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF) Monday issued another stay in the court martial of Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army psychiatrist charged with 13 counts of murder and other counts in connection with the 2009 massacre at Fort Hood, the sprawling Army post in central Texas.

The move comes after defense attorneys lost an appeal last week that upheld the trial judge's order that Hasan appear in court clean shaven.

Hasan's attorneys have told the CAAF that they intend to appeal last week's ruling.

Until that appeal is resolved the court martial trial remains on hold.

Hasan is accused of opening fire at Fort Hood's processing center, where soldiers were preparing to deploy to Afghanistan and Iraq, in November 2009. The solo attack left 32 people wounded, in addition to the 13 killed, while Hasan himself was paralyzed from the waist down after police officers exchanged fire with him.

Post by:
Filed under: Nidal Hasan
soundoff (9 Responses)
  1. richard

    This delay is outrageous. It's not that maybe he didn't do it, right? I mean, Jesus, how about a little justice. Try this MF and take him out and shoot him, like Joe said. DO IT NOW....GET ON WITH IT!!!!

    December 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Reply
  2. Donna

    When was he demoted?

    December 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  3. Ronald R. Brett

    Stop referring to him as Major. He was demoted. Thank You.

    November 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Reply
  4. Rich

    The ongoing position of the Army that a beard can't be worn at trial equals needless delay and expense due to form over substance. Religious preference aside, why does a beard get Hasan numerous delays when the victims did not get that privilege? The judge needs to get over it and try this bearded manquickly to give the victims' families resolution.

    October 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • donna

      maybe if some "workplace violence" had taken place in other workplaces we wouldn't be draging this on for three years & it would of been called an act of terrorism.

      October 23, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  5. donna

    While debating this beard & spending time & money WHY doesn't the defense secretary up grade the actions of this extremist from "WORKPLACE VIOLENCE" to an act of TERRORISM so the deceased & wounded can receive their just benefits?

    October 23, 2012 at 9:20 am | Reply
  6. M

    Can we please get on with it so this f*** stops getting paid and we send him to hell where he belongs.

    October 23, 2012 at 2:50 am | Reply
  7. brad

    This guy is still a military officer getting full pay and benefits of a major. Order him to shave, when he refuses article 15 him. There is no appeal, no court nothing for this. then demote him again and again until he is a 2LT so he is at least not draining any more than necessary from the tax payers.

    October 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Reply
    • Joe

      Or do the humane thing...

      Take him out back and shoot him

      October 23, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.