October 18th, 2012

New cyber attacks on U.S. banks; Iran suspected

By Mike Mount

Cyber attacks on U.S. banks continued this week from suspected hackers believed to be supported by the Iranian government, according to U.S. officials.

Attacks on Capital One Financial Corp. and BB&T Corp. occurred on Tuesday and Wednesday. U.S. and banking officials described them as denial of service strikes preventing customers from accessing their information from banking websites.

There was little damage and no accounts were compromised, the officials said.

But the banks were still not able to fully stop the attacks even though it appeared they were pre-announced by at least one group.

American officials said earlier this week that attacks on U.S banks and oil companies in Saudi Arabia and Qatar over the past several months were believed to be carried out by surrogates supported by the Iranian government.

"There is a continuing stream of Iranian behavior ... these (attacks) have the hallmarks of Iranian cyber misbehavior," one U.S. official told Security Clearance.

Another official said the number of incidents targeting the banking industry have picked up in recent weeks.

Banks commented on the attacks.

"We did an experience an intermittent outage on BB&T.com and it was due to a denial of service event," said bank spokesman David White.

Tatiana Stead, a spokeswoman for Capital One, also said that bank experienced "some system delays on Tuesday due to a large volume of traffic going to the web site."

The chief executive of PNC Financial Services said Thursday in an interview on CNBC that it is believed Iran was behind the attack on his bank last month.

"We had the longest attack of all the banks," James Rohr said in interview excerpts posted on the CNBC website. He added that the hackers "just pummeled us."

A group called the Qassam Cyber Fighters claimed responsibility for the recent attacks with announcements online.

The group had also announced in recent days that it would continue the attacks this week in a posting on the same day Capital One was hit.

One of the U.S. officials said there is a belief within the intelligence community that Qassam Cyber Fighters is at least one of the surrogate groups backed by Iran conducting some of the cyber strikes.

Internet researchers are divided about how seriously to take the group's claims. It has launched attacks in the past, but those have been far less coordinated than the most recent ones.

The group has said the attacks are in retaliation for the same anti-Muslim film made in the United States that caused rioting and protests in several Muslim countries.

But the U.S. official said there is also a belief the cyber group has targeted banks in retaliation for western sanctions on Iran aimed at forcing Tehran to halt development of its nuclear program.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned of increased cyber threats in a speech last week.

Though he never blamed Iran specifically, Panetta mentioned the previous banking and oil industry attacks that U.S. officials believe are linked to Iran.

The FBI is investigating the attacks and would not comment on any suspected connection to the Iranian government.

Post by:
Filed under: Iran
  1. Shona

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put
    in writing this web site. I am hoping loans online the same high-grade blog post from you in the upcoming as well.
    Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get
    my own web site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly.
    Your write up is a good example of it.

October 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Reply
    • Syed202

Yes Shona, they can write so beautifully, that every one starts believing, people's memory is so short, at least the writer thinks, who created all these viruses to ruin the Iranian nuclear plants producing medicinal use radiation products, that cause 50 deaths of sick people?
      Who killed Kennedy, how about 9/11?

October 22, 2012 at 5:09 am | Reply
  2. YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH

PRESIDENT MITT ROMNEY / LADY ANN & VICE PRESIDENT RYAN 2012

October 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Reply
  3. What a lie

Ya right. Iran. are you kidding? They said that Iran bombed jewish bus in Serbia (which was lie), they said Iran bombed a car in India, they said Iran tried to assassinate some UN ambasador in NY, they said even Iran will carry nuke luggage, they said is the reason that the oil prices is raising when the same EU and US put embargo on Iran Oil, and FINALY: They, supreme court justice said Iran was behind 9/11

October 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  4. StanCalif

No sympathy for the big banks here! They have been warned for more than a decade to address electronic security problems, but nothing changes!
    Also, explain how these mega banks got "bailed out" just a few years ago and suddenly they come up with the money to pay back the government (huge sums of money)! Meanwhile, they have not done what our banking system is supposed to be doing! Banks should be lending money to businesses so they can survive, grow and hire people! Banks foreclose on properties instead of "working with" the property owners! Abandoned properties are left empty and unmaintained which drives down values of the whole area! Consumer credit (credit cards) being charged 19 to 30% interest when the country needs more consumers! Fees, fees, and more fees charged to customers who are not wealthy! Our big banks are driving this recession, not the government!

October 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Reply
  5. Mediaboy

now it time for the US to step up on it watch

October 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  6. YESSSSS!

I be number 100! I be number 100! I be da bomb!! I be number 100!! You all number 101 !! You all number 101 !! What up boyeeee? You be sukkin.....my phat donger!! Late! I am out!

October 20, 2012 at 2:27 am | Reply
  7. racism rules!

Niggs wearin wigs with cigs be pigs when rollin in phat rigs and kickin it at gigs while dancin jigs, eatin figs thinkin they biggs in their fine diggs. Fricken ziggs!!!

October 20, 2012 at 1:48 am | Reply
    • lol

chinks being chinks, they don't know how to act. aping me aping you chinks belong in a zoo

October 20, 2012 at 6:58 am | Reply
      • LOL rules

U da man! Gotta love a fellow racist troller! Keep on boozin!

October 20, 2012 at 8:29 am |
  8. Iran su@ks phat ball-saks!

PHAT BALL SAKS!!

October 20, 2012 at 1:40 am | Reply
  9. Iran su@ks phat ball-saks!

I almost there! Gettin close...

October 20, 2012 at 1:39 am | Reply
  10. Iran su@ks phat ball-saks!

Yo cooons! What up? Yo nigggs! What up? Yo jig-a-booos! What up? We aint be racist!!

October 20, 2012 at 1:39 am | Reply
  11. Iran su@ks phat ball-saks!

You towel-head mo-fo camel jockey sheep humpin freaks! Dem arab freaks gonna get pounded with a monster meat stik right up da ol chute!! Iraq got all over you punks. Go Bagdad! Go Iraq!! Down with Tehran!!

October 20, 2012 at 1:17 am | Reply
    • YESSSSS!

Another fairy with no logo! You iz gaayyy!!! My schlong be bigger than your tiny pencil dik, you camel humpin freak!!!

October 20, 2012 at 2:41 am | Reply
  12. nini

Jig-a-booos. Jig-a-booos. I luv u.
    Jig-a-booos. Jig-a-booos. I luv u! Come on out and plaayyyy! Cooons!

October 19, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Reply
    • what a piece of trash!!

What a douchhee-bag!! You be one racist lil chica!

October 19, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Reply
    • Coke vs Pepsi

chinky chinky china, the chinese chicken. racism is fun! i love racism against chinks

October 22, 2012 at 12:53 am | Reply
  13. bribarian

wow they're seriously just going to pin every last thing on Iran now I guess. No more wars for zi0nism.

October 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Reply
    • nini

poor usa!! Iran is blamed on all thing, you caused....Shut up you poor usa government, shut up you swindle....

October 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
      • nini

My name is nini and I am a nitwit! I be as dumb as a rock!! My english be poor but I try to communicate. I be a lez-bo and luv to mow down on dat nastee boxx!!

October 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm |
  14. Maxx

I belive that these attack by Iran are good practice for our banks and goverment.
    We should look at it as cyber warfare practice aginst a enemy who just is not that good at it
    We get to practice before a conutry who is an expert at it attacks us.

October 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  15. Gazza

I be rockin da Gazza strip-clubs! They have some pasty faced ladies workin there. It be da bomb...but I be more into da dudes. Bein a part jewish – part muslim fairy is rough...but I deal wit gettin pumped in my plump rump!!

October 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Reply
    • dave

You'll likely wind up like daniel pearl or be raped by one of their 5-times a day praying extremists. Don't do it.

October 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  16. Gazza

The US and Israel were responsible for Stuxnet and other cyber terrorism so Iran is justified in retaliating.It's called blowback boys/.

October 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Reply
    • Gazza

Dey be all good with dat retaliation! Its called blowin em! I like a good blow now and den!!

October 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Reply
  17. chizzlin sam

American banks have also continued their continuous fraudulent electronic theft of every cardholder...The systemic theft occurs by overcharging Americans and by manipulating the accounts...Bankers are thieves with attorneys...

October 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Reply
    • reds266

'bankers are thieves with attorneys' . . . not in america alone, everywhere !!

October 21, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
  18. Kevin

This Iran talk is a waste of time! We need to be focused on more important topics, like promoting Just Out magazine and letting Americans know that fudge-packin is cool! I been schlobin knobs for years!!

October 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • what??

What a fairy!! You iz one messed up freak. Time to get some help buddy!!

October 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  19. Aziz Fahrinzaziz

Me stand up for my Iranian friend! He right on with needing mens clubs in Tehran! Dump dem veils ladies. Pull off dem dark robes! Let's see some booobies floppin and then we end all strife and wars! We also want hamburgers and fries....and beer! We been held back by Muslim laws for too long! America has good things we can adopt!

October 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  20. Kevin

I think all this crap about iran is honestly just a waste of time. Iran should be nuked and taken over. End of Story.

October 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Reply
    • Aziz Fahrinzaziz

Kevin you try nuke my country I will pound your face! I come over there and mess you up, you pole-smokkin fairy! Go back to buttt-slammin your buddy, something u be good at!!

October 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Reply
      • dave

Careful aziz – your mono-brow will get ruffled. Then what will your wife, mohamed, think?

October 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  21. confused

what the hell does Obama have to do with this?
    Boy – you people really are morons!!!

October 19, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Reply
  22. Achmed Ahbarzidad

Nobody challenge Achmed! I be number one! Who think they stand up to me and win fight? I pound you into ground! Time for you to pay penalte and bow down to iran! You iz all loser. I rule all america. We proud iran persons and take you down.

October 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Reply
    • Angry

Where the hell are you from?Are you realy Iranian?get lost our country doesn't need extremists like you.we hate no one.because of extremists like you people in world think that we are like those blood thirsty without cloture Arabs.shame on you

October 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • denise

you people in other countries need to learn about jesus christ who will judge the world and accept him our God dont like hatred he wants everyone to love each other and he ses all

October 20, 2012 at 8:02 am | Reply
      • Angry

I am already seeing what your Christian friends are doing in Afghanistan.no thanks I prefer my religion.at least we are baned to kill others( dont mix us with extremists they are separate from us)

October 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  23. Achmed Ahbarzidad

You dirty american pig! How dare you call me troll...I will rock you!! We Iranians be number one in world! We be best at everything...nobody stop our computer expert who teach you greedy peple lessen u soon not forget! We take all moneys and we take your woman! Soon in Tehran we open McDonalds, Pizza Hut and strip clubs!! That be da good america way!!

October 19, 2012 at 11:54 am | Reply
    • LR

Lol. That was the best post today! Thanks!

October 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Reply
      • Achmed Ahbarzidad

Thank you LR. You admit that we need some sins in Iran! Naked lady and big mac make everyone happy! Other americans that be jews iz greedy pigs. No jews in our country! We keel them all!! Yeahhhh

October 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  24. sec

Fact Checking the Iranian DDoS Attacks against US Banks.

October 19, 2012 at 11:12 am | Reply
  25. Hahahahahahahaha

Is the Bush Family financing the Iranians like the Bush Family financed the NAZIS???? Why do you idiots keep voting for the "Skull And Crossbones" NAZI Bush Family??? Hahahahahahahhahaha

October 19, 2012 at 10:59 am | Reply
    • Achmed Ahbarzidad

What is skull and crossbones?? I don't know these america words. Why bush a nazi? Oh, right his family support us iranians for years too. We big fan of his!! Bush number one! We have his poster in house.

October 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Reply
  26. ever4lasting

With the help of Israel we helped to create a cyber attacked Worm called the FLAME Virus. Intended to attack Iran's oil industry. It was not safe guarded and now it is being used against us. Back in June or July, People were able to go to a government site I think it was government and have your computer checked to see if your computer has been infected. I had my computer checked and I was clean. America was warned in advance.

October 19, 2012 at 10:47 am | Reply
  27. wake up sheeple!

we don't need to go to war with iran, the sanctions are doing more damage than an attack would. their economy is in the toilet, prices are going way up, and the value of the iranian rial is dropping like a stone. iranians are scrambling to convert their money to dollars before the value falls any further. soon enough the iranian people will say enough is enough and there will be a mass uprising and overthrow of the government.

October 19, 2012 at 10:47 am | Reply
  28. sec

Why don't we ask the experts, who say it is probably not Iran?

October 19, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply
  29. magnum12

Amazing what otherwise shoeless pagans can do with stolen technology.

October 19, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply
  30. spent

The U.S. Policy needs a complete overhaul towards the middle east. Having lived there and have somewhat an understanding of the frustrations with the Western World, passive and placating will not work with these governments. They want to see the down fall of Western Civilization to promote their ideology. So, all you idealist, they want you gone as well.

October 19, 2012 at 10:28 am | Reply
  31. Kirk m.

Not a rromney hater, its just when you say all the stuff hes going to do, and the results he expects, its hard for it to not sound sarcastic. a little unreal in my opinion, how peeved will you romney voters be in four years with the promises mitts made, serves you right if your finances go to hel.l. hes got absolutly no position he currently supposrts that he did 6 months ago, or six days for that matter, flip flopping shows either contempt, or ignorance. take your pick.

October 19, 2012 at 9:50 am | Reply
    • Mike

My finances have gone to hell in the last 4 years no thanks to Obama. He had his turn, had both the house and senate for two years to start his presidency and didn't do squat. Romney is at least a business man and successful at that. The economy needs that kind of knowledge to get it back on track. I have lost a substantial amount of income under Obama's term while gas and food prices keep climbing, not to mention my cost for medical insurance have gone up $2,000 in the past two years. As far as Obama, No thanks. I will take my chances with Romney.

October 19, 2012 at 10:49 am | Reply
  32. Kirk m.

More war, more money to MIC, more, more, more. cant wait til mitt saves us all, he's a majician. mitt will lower all taxes, create 12 million jobs, change trade with china, promote women to high political positions, and eliminate the defecit, increase military spending. what are we waiting for? um, does anyone know exactly how he will do that, who gets theirs first, im confident it will be the middle class, who else would he give more breaks to? his policy is the 1% pay almost no tax, must not burden the job creators, of course thats not trickle down economics, because thats what i said obama was doing, i think he finally confused himself

October 19, 2012 at 9:42 am | Reply
    • beam

Romney will start a war with Russia or Iran and china and probably wil start WW3 which will end with nuclear winter and a hell like earth.he will start more wars.we already have enough of them we need no more.

October 19, 2012 at 10:04 am | Reply
      • spent

Oh come on light, "Beam" you want to enjoy the fun, don't you. After WW3 no more war, you will be gone.

October 19, 2012 at 10:29 am |
  33. Ryan

A flood of traffic.. an entire nation and we're supposed to think that's all they have? The skiddies do that every weekend.
    "There is a belief" sounds like really solid evidence.

October 19, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply
  34. Kirk m.

just know your republican electorates would never lie to you, just to start a war, send your kids to die in the middle east, from an I.E.D., on a mission to clear the route to the oil fields, so the speculators can inspect. would they really send your children to die for their own agenda, done and done, g.w. and cheeney should be hung by their jimmies

October 19, 2012 at 9:29 am | Reply
  35. Johnny 5

The slowing down of banking sites is a pretty weak styled attack. Why not just go full on and empty them all out?

Iran would've gone all the way, if in fact it was Iran at all...

October 19, 2012 at 9:20 am | Reply
  36. Achmed Ahbarzidad

Ahh! We towelheads will get you petty americans in the end! You think your money safe in these banks?? Hahaha! My peoples will hack your accounts and take all your moneys! I laugh as you petty persons all worry about next cyber attak!! Iz crazy how smart we iz here in Tehran!!

October 19, 2012 at 9:18 am | Reply
    • ever4lasting

achmed
      If you want to be an effective troll, You better brush up a lot more. Lame

October 19, 2012 at 9:27 am | Reply
    • Chris

Worst. Trolling. EVER!
      Boo, you hoar!

October 19, 2012 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • Thor

We kicked you out of Poitier before.... you still havn't learned anything new. This time...if you bring more horses, you might make a dent. Oh... and lose the stuff you steal along the way. Doesn't really suit a warrior class. Bring it on!

October 19, 2012 at 11:53 am | Reply
  37. DOUGLAS

I luv to pump dem chumps in da plump rump! I been a flamin fairy for years! Drop me your digits and we can hook up and parteee!!

October 19, 2012 at 9:12 am | Reply
    • Chris

THAT my friend is a good troll!

October 19, 2012 at 11:01 am | Reply
  38. ever4lasting

I guess these hackers are returning the favor. U.S. and Israel did the same thing to Iran. except the attack was on military, and not banks. Israel and the U.S. created a program to attack Iran, and guess what they didn't put safe guards on it, and the hackers stolen it, and now they are using it against us. As in life, you get back what you put out. as some says what goes around comes around.

October 19, 2012 at 9:07 am | Reply
    • David

Yeah, because comparing the US and Israel to Iran is correct. Despite the US and Israel being less than perfect, they are nowhere near as messed up as Iran is. It's a war against a country with an insane government that treats people horribly. If you're gay you're hung. If you're a minority watch your back or you'll get blamed. This is not karma coming back on people who deserve it. That's like saying the people that died in Britain during the Blitz had the British Government to blame, despite them fighting an evil country who was bent on destroying the world. Now, don't worry I'm not saying Iran is an evil country, but their intentions are nothing good.

October 19, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply
      • Ryan

Is it America's responsibility to police how governments treat their people?

October 19, 2012 at 9:38 am |
      • ever4lasting

David
        with all due respect, we are fed so much propaganda, we really don't know about Iran for sure, What gives me pause, are politicians just listen to all that is surrounding our elections. so if we can lie about each other and mislead voters in our country, than we can do it to other people and countries as well

October 19, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  39. JOSH P

Does anybody know what happened to the used car salesman that was supposed to kill the Saudi Ambassador for the Iranians.

Let me guess nothing happened because that guy never existed to begin with.Americans better start standing up,Jews are trying to get us in another war in the middle East,this time we better start taking to the streets,and say no to this war.

October 19, 2012 at 9:01 am | Reply
    • LOL!

You need more tinfoil. 12 layers isn't enough...go for 13 or 14.

October 19, 2012 at 9:04 am | Reply
    • Lee-Anne

Please, do us all a favor with the blaming everything on the Jewish conspiracy crud you racist waste. In fact, he just plead guilty of it this week. So, I guess that ruins that doesn't it loser?

October 19, 2012 at 9:14 am | Reply
      • Lee-Anne

I am a lez-bo lookin for some butch dy-kos! I will take my strap-on super sized meat stik and pound your p-chute sooo hard!! C'mon you freaks!!

October 19, 2012 at 9:20 am |
    • ever4lasting

Josh p
      Yep, I believe Israel is behind a lot of stuff. I think Israel is the problem in the middle east. Israel knows if Romney gets elected we will back Israel. We support one country over most of the Muslims countries I would give up my support for one country to have support from many countries

October 19, 2012 at 9:16 am | Reply
      • David

The support of a pit of vipers.

October 19, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • Preet

Very excellent write-up. I relaly found a persona1afs blog plus needed so that you can express this I have extremely loved browsing a persona1afs site plus threads. Nevertheless Ia1afll often be checking a persona1afs feast plus I actually hope so that you can look over a persona1afs site again.

November 13, 2012 at 12:20 am | Reply
  40. DOUGLAS

IRAN THIS IRAN THAT, IRAN HAS MADE THE DOWNFALL OF EURO LET BLAME IRAN FOR EVERYTHING, EVEN FOR THE WEATHER, WAKE UP AMERICAN YOU ARE BEEN TAKEN FOR A RIDE.

October 19, 2012 at 8:36 am | Reply
    • dickperryisadick

CAPS DONT MAKE YOUR STATEMENT MORE RELEVENT.

October 19, 2012 at 8:50 am | Reply
    • LOL!

Cookooo....Cookooo....Coookoooo

October 19, 2012 at 9:05 am | Reply
  41. sammy

It is time to stop believing in the faith system (mind) of Mohammed and Jesus. Countries should be free of all religious dependencies.

October 19, 2012 at 8:28 am | Reply
  42. R. Wilson Reagan

Just look at what those idiots In Washington now got us into! These attacks will go on for some time to come! Just as the J apanese attaked us at Pearl Harbor, we retaliated and now the Iranians seem to doing the same to us!!!! How dumb can those bozoes in Washington be???

October 19, 2012 at 8:18 am | Reply
    • Bobpitt

What do you suggest genius? Military intervention of Iran? What would be the cost?
      So far the US has kept the Iranians at bay, the Iranians are out of places to run and the only thing you will see of their theocracy government is the last kicks before death. Iranians are a sophisticated bunch, first opportunity they have they will rid of the Mullahs.

October 19, 2012 at 8:38 am | Reply
      • Patrick

Gee Bobpitt, you sound like another Tea partier. For your information, this country has effectively ceased to be democratic, falling more and more under the control of the M.I.C.(military-industrial-complex) in Washington D.C. Are the Iranian mullahs truly any worse? At least they believe in God.

October 19, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  43. Memo2

Yellow Alert on Hyperinflation 2013.

October 19, 2012 at 8:00 am | Reply
  44. michaelfury

And who do US officials "believe" was behind these attacks?

October 19, 2012 at 7:46 am | Reply
  45. Memo2

Probable the same bankers hire these people to blame what is looming with the bank's.

October 19, 2012 at 7:16 am | Reply
  46. Get out

I didn't even know Iran has a computer. Beautiful Persian women AND a computer. Imagine that!

October 19, 2012 at 7:11 am | Reply
    • Bobpitt

I guess you are not very smart.. I went to university with a bunch of Iranians, most of them went on to get PhDs

October 19, 2012 at 8:40 am | Reply
  47. gblogcnn

this means the dream police are coming to the world of virtual reality.

October 19, 2012 at 2:48 am | Reply
    • Anthony

Very fine write-up. I actually relaly came across your current weblog along with needed for you to declare that will I've seriously loved browsing your current web log along with discussions. Anyhow I’ll always be checking your current supply along with My spouse and i desire for you to examine your current web log yet again.

November 11, 2012 at 8:14 am | Reply
  48. Sinbad

Why is the US blaming Iran, easy the US attacked Iran with the Stuxnet virus and assumes that this is Iran fighting back. Give them a few years and they will get a lot better.

October 19, 2012 at 2:05 am | Reply
  49. DickPerry

If you start a cyberwar as USA did they really shouldn't be surprised if the victims are "defending" themselves they american way.. By attacking...

October 19, 2012 at 1:16 am | Reply
  50. 2/8

This is where the poor can sit back and laugh, it's a great day, lol.

October 19, 2012 at 1:00 am | Reply
    • John Hugh

Don't forget, people (rich and poor) put their money in these banks.

October 19, 2012 at 1:28 am | Reply
    • Bobpitt

I am not rich, I work hard for my money, and I have never attacked Iran in any way or form, Why would they try to hurt me by attacking my bank?

October 19, 2012 at 8:43 am | Reply
  51. Jack

All this bruhaha would make you think DOS attacks are really hard to do. They arent.

October 19, 2012 at 12:05 am | Reply
    • SixDegrees

Agree. This is script-kiddie stuff in terms of sophistication, although government involvement bumps up the scale significantly.

October 19, 2012 at 2:34 am | Reply
    • meltemi

DOS attacks can be used as cover for more sophisticated attacks.

October 19, 2012 at 8:58 am | Reply
  52. Deb Ed

Paper checks from Social Security will soon be obsolete. VA disability checks won't be far behind. And neither will tax refund checks. You'll get a card instead. Ours are already direct deposit. Can you imagine when hackers ever manage to break into Federal computer files that are tied to SS, VA and tax refund?

October 19, 2012 at 12:05 am | Reply
    • John Hugh

There's already billions of dollars a year in SS/Tax refund related to electronically depositing money in an account or prepaid card.

October 19, 2012 at 1:31 am | Reply
    • Stu

Its already happening. Its called Obama Care.

October 19, 2012 at 6:08 am | Reply
      • Travis B

STU is apparantly short for S T U P I D. Great comment (sarcasm).

October 19, 2012 at 7:31 am |
      • Bobpitt

Oh.. Man..!!! if you don't understand just shut...

October 19, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  53. xerxeswasachoad

If true, the US should freeze any and all assets in the US and cut off any trade/aid (are we?) of the alleged country, if in fact Iran's government was at work here...

Cyber-tracking is a lot of dot-connecting so to speak...

October 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  54. Frank

Why "pray tell" would anyone attack American banks to cause harm? Our banks are already our own worst enemies.

October 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Reply
    • xerxeswasachoad

So true Frank, so true...

October 18, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Reply
  55. dd

Why is Obama letting Iran do this? Is Obama ignorant? Maybe there is no President. The chair in the Oval Office is empty. Obama is on The VIew as Eye Candy!

October 18, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Reply
    • rjaddow

Just what would you have him do genius? And you say Obama is ignorant? LOL

October 18, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
    • nisroc00

I love how an article comes out where the US points fingers but has no solid proof of the crime but nonetheless from the US are guilty until proven innocent. Do you wiush to have another war and be wrong about what you are going to war for AGAIN! Did you think it might be someone inside Iran but not the Iran government. Please think before you comment only makes you look like a total fool.

October 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Reply
      • Cynthia Daley

I read this would probably happen several weeks ago, and the gov't would be behind it in order to have a reason to go to war with Iran. It's already been discussed in some committee or other. I hate that it's happening but I believe it's a set-up – there are some people who just want constant wars and are just itching to get into Iran. Probably for the oil. Some of you can call me a crazy conspiracy theorist but stranger things have happened. Or just as strange anyway. And it's very scary whatever the real truth is.

October 19, 2012 at 5:39 am |
      • Andres

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your arielcts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Many thanks!

November 13, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • John Hugh

The case and point Clint Eastwood made at the republican convention.

October 19, 2012 at 1:33 am | Reply
    • Travis B

What an ignorant and stupid post. You must be Republican. I'm sure the president is sitting in the oval office right now loading up his programs to perform DOS attacks single handily right back. (rolls eyes) because that's the presidents job (rolls eyes).

October 19, 2012 at 7:33 am | Reply
    • Bobpitt

At dd:
      Is someone paying you to post nonsense, or you are as stupid as you post? Does it come naturally?

October 19, 2012 at 8:47 am | Reply
  56. NYOB

Do you people in the media ever stop to think what hypocrites you are? Or are you just hoping that everyone out there is too??! How many times in recent months have we boasted about cyber attacks ON Iran by US and Israel? And what pray is a country expected to do when attacked? If we are gonna fight let's do it like 'men' and not be a damn cry baby when we get hit back!

October 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  57. rich

The blaming of Iran, while it might be a natural response to the US cyber attack on it, seems to be lacking any factual basis and is mere conjecture repeated over and over by the media as part of the drum beat for war. The attacks have not been sophisticated and have been traced to various parts of the world outside of Iran.

October 18, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  58. Tough Reality News

Its tough to tell everyone that I am a buttt plung-er and just wanna pump dem rumps!! Reality is dat u all just need to become fairies!! Gay-dar be kickin in for all freaks! Let's schlob some knobs!!!!

October 20, 2012 at 1:12 am | Reply
  59. YESSSSS!

No logo for you! You be weak! You iz a sucka!! Bend over fooo!!

October 20, 2012 at 2:35 am | Reply