Mistaken for a terrorist: Homeland star only plays one on TV
October 5th, 2012

Mistaken for a terrorist: Homeland star only plays one on TV

By Suzanne Kelly

That may be a good thing for his acting career. Turns out it's not so good at airports.

"What happens is that I'm playing all of these different characters and my facial hair changes and I have different looks," said Negahban on a recent cell phone call from Los Angeles. "When I'm at the airport, the agents look at my passport and they look at me and there is something in their eyes, and you can see them thinking, 'I know this guy. Where have I seen him before?'"

Watch: Inside Showtime's "Homeland"

That's usually when the questions begin, said Negahban, who now almost relishes the experience as he travels the world to promote and work on the show.

"I went to shoot a project in Toronto last year and I still had a full beard and my hair was a little bit longer, and I was scruffy - I mean, I was afraid of getting on a plane with myself," joked Negahban, who had to go through a customs line in New York's LaGuardia Airport. "I was going through the line and the agent locked eyes with me and I thought 'Oh, here we go again.'"

"Where are you coming from?"

"Where are you going?"

"What do you do for a living?"

"I was so tired and I said, 'Well, lately I've been playing a most-wanted terrorist on TV' - and the minute the word 'terrorist' came out of my mouth, even the other people standing in line began looking," Negahban said.

It was only then, he said, that the Customs and Border Protection officer realized who he really was.

"He looks at me and he says, 'Oh, my God! I just saw the season finale and I love the show." Then he turns around and tells the other agents, "Look, Abu Nazir is here!"

Negahban has also played roles on Fox's pulse-pounding television series "24" as well as USA Network's spy thriller "Covert Affairs." But this time, he knows that his audience reaches a little higher up the official lines of power, with President Barack Obama reportedly a fan of the show.

"The president is watching," Negahban said. "It is fantastic that he is a big fan. If you know who is watching, you are obviously trying to be your best. But at the same time I think I will be nervous when he sends me an invitation to the White House."

Let's just hope the Marine guard who has to clear him is also a fan of the show.

Entertainment: What to expect in season 2 of 'Homeland'

1. For Your Eyes Only

"It is no secret that Hitler and his Nazi cronies sought inspiration from Indian extremist groups including the branding of his Nazi Party by adopting the Swastika, a traditionally Hindu symbol and representation of Hindu god Ganesha, as its marketing tool. The thesis being that like the Norwegian massacre the Jewish holocaust orchestrated by Hitler was inspired by the inherently violent cult of Indian Hindus and the manifesto of its then extremist/terrorist groups still in existence today. These groups are now the successors to and carrying out the vision of Al Qaeda all over the world albeit in a clandestine manner."

October 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Reply
    • George Patton

It is also no secret that Mahatma Gandhi (Hindu leader) was a pedophile. What is very disturbing is his relationship (!) and friendship with Hitler. He is known to have offered advice and encouragement to Hitler and his Nazi Party to undertake the Jewish Holocaust."

October 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Reply
      • Patrick

We are well aware of the deep rooted connections of Hindu Terror Groups headquartered in India to International Terror Groups such as Al Qaeda. These groups have an extremist philosophy, Neo Nazi bent and are the torch bearers/successors to Al Qaeda.

October 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • L. milley

Hinduism is a disgusting cult. Even to this day cross-cousin, father-daughter, mother-son, brother-sister, doing each other is common practice. Let me make it easy for you and refer you to the hindu scriptures and share it with the world. Shame on Hindus and barbaric Hinduism.

Pushan is the lover of his sister [ Rg Ved VI.55.4 ][ Apte 11 ]
      The Ashvisns married Surya and Savitri who is their sister [ RV I.116.19 ].
      Agni is the son of his father and his sister [ Rg Ved.I.91.7 ]

October 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Reply
    • Peter Khvann

Actually from Native American Russel Means he said Hitler wrote since he was still in Austria that he treated humans he thinks that are less equal from the lessons he learned from how the United States slaughtered the Native Americans. He looked at it if the United States can do this to humans they considered less equal he can do the same to the Jews.

November 12, 2012 at 10:31 am | Reply
  2. George Patton

Send him to Pakistan, work with terrorists, and find #2 al qaeda man.

October 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  3. StanCalif

Agree! GW was, and remains, a con artist just like Bernie Madoff! His chosen sidekick, Dick, was and is just as bad. Only one man, Colin Powell, recognized this con and withdrew himself from the political arena when he realized that he was being "used" and lied to. Thanks Colin, you did the "right" thing!

October 6, 2012 at 8:00 am | Reply
  4. CH

Just a notable fact, Marine guards DO NOT clear people into the White House.

October 6, 2012 at 2:19 am | Reply
  5. alblogy

Nothing New

islamofobia again and again

October 6, 2012 at 1:50 am | Reply
  6. TheBigGuyWithAGun

The President watches this show???

So instead of trying to help the country,he's watching TV.DISGRACEFULL!!!!!!!!!

Ooops,my bad,He's not even 'trying',he's straight up FAILING!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Reply
    • James Pate

Why are you disgraced? If it weren't for Showtime, the president wouldn't get any updates from the Middle East and he'd be at a loss for deciding foreign policy. Instead of disgraced, you should feel safe and sound.

October 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Reply
      • Ellen

Better than someone who every other weekend was always pretending to be a cowboy.

October 6, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Edwin

I don't understand. You want a president who NEVER has any down time, never relaxes, and is always wound tighter than a spring? Human beings can't keep that up for more than a week or so, let alone four or eight years.

Let me guess - you also worry that he sleeps most nights, right?

October 6, 2012 at 12:22 am | Reply
      • Brad76

Maybe he's mad the President stops to eat sometimes too. Oh, and whats he doing breathing air? Shouldn't he be doing something more important? Total fail!

October 6, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Deez

Obama 2012. Deal with it.

October 6, 2012 at 1:01 am | Reply
    • klez

My GOD! The president... watches TV?! He's not 24/7 presidenting every single second of his life?! How dare he! He should be just like Bush, who never took a vacation ever, ever! And he should never for one second take a breather. We wouldn't want a relaxed, rested president who was awake and sane enough to make decisions, would we? Let's see you go four years with the intense pressure that comes with being a country's leader and not take a moment to do something you like once. I bet you couldn't go two days. One hour. This was really a petty thing to pick on, now wasn't it?

October 6, 2012 at 1:45 am | Reply
    • AW

Amen to that! I don't have time to watch T.V. OR play golf. How in the world does he?

October 6, 2012 at 2:21 am | Reply
    • JJ

We all forgot GWB. He choked on pretzel while watching TV !

October 6, 2012 at 2:34 am | Reply
      • StanCalif

Remember "good ole GW" and "Mission Accomplished"!!! Nothing accomplished, it was just the beginning!
        What an IDIOT!

October 6, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • Old Soldier

You and people like you are the disgrace to this country. You have so little respect for others, you likely have no respect for anyone including yourself. Whether you agree with or dislike the President is a choice. Added to that is the right of free speech provided to you by our elected leaders and folks who died or served to keep you free. Go on. Spew your garbage. You have a legal right to do so, but it appears your father, mother, and family were failures in the first degree. You and the others like you are an embarrassment. Blather on, but realize most intelligent people with proper upbringing look down on you. Stay under your rock. Tchuss!

October 6, 2012 at 3:13 am | Reply
    • Elle

He can't do anything because damn Republicans refuse to compromise. And have you seen the unemployement rate?
      7.8%.... My last argument to you is the war. Slowly, very slowly, it's finishing up. (and what about big-bird??)

October 6, 2012 at 4:40 am | Reply
      • StanCalif

Don't you just love what the "Tea Party" did to our country during the past two years? Why is Romney not "thanking" the TP? Why are all these "non-patriots" in hiding today? Even Eric Cantor is keeping quiet!
        The gullible voters that voted in this bunch have been "sold down the river". Nobody "won", everyone "lost"!

October 6, 2012 at 7:37 am |
  7. nunya

I miss the series Jericho... just sayin, i loved the show.. and think they are idiots for ending it.. PEANUTS!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Reply
  8. Rick

Playing a terrorist on TV would make the perfect cover for a terrorist. Just saying...

October 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Reply
  9. iBod

LMAO! I am dying of laughter right now. Homeland is great, by the way - currently my favorite show on television right now.

October 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Reply
    • scranton

Very funny.

October 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  10. Phil

I have had two Iranian bosses in my Structural Engineering career. Two of my favorite people in the world. Great engineers, great people, great mentors. The government in Iran represents the minority view in that country.

Something to think about and a hopefully it stops at least one person from stereotyping.

October 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Reply
    • Cris

I have to agree, The Iranian people are just the best. They are smart and gracious, remember they are Persian first and the food and culture are oh so rich.

October 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Reply
    • blessedgeek

Let me remind y;all that it was Jimmy Carter's intransigent loyalty to the Shah that drove all these nice people into the arms of the Khomeini, consequently making Iran the enemy of the US and Israel.

October 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Reply
      • Jon

No. You are wrong. Read, "All of the Shah's men" Authored by Kinzer.
        This is not the Alphan and Omega of events, but Carter was not the reason we are where we are, or anything close to what you have stated.

October 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Jon

I do njot know your friends, obviously. However, could one make a fair assesment about the American populace based off of meeting two Americans?
      Consider that, you met what could not really even be called a minority of people, so they might be awesome, but cannot act as a guide to what the rest of Iran is like.

October 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Reply
    • bellenoitr

I have extended family in Iran through marriage and I totally agree with you! The people are supressed by the cleric run government and are worried that they will be bombed.

October 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Reply
    • Pam

You have met just two Iranians? And both were from the well educated, well to do segment of Iranians living abroad? And you think that's sufficient, unbiased sample size to form the conclusion that the majority of Iranians are like them? Just who is stereotyping here?

October 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Reply
  11. BB

If you liked 24 you will like sleeper cell and Jericho too. Both are available on Netflix. Sleeper Cell particularly was a gripping and frightening TV series.

October 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Reply
  12. Renee Marie Jones

Not surprising, since homland security's procedures are based not on what real terrorists do, but on what fictional terrorists do in movies and books.

October 5, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Reply
    • LOL

Renee, that is actually a fairly accurate and astute assessment.

October 5, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Reply
  13. southernwonder

france has outlawed scarves. why can't we outlaw beards, specially for those wanting to fly?

October 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Reply
    • ninio

Santa Claus wouldnt be to happy with that.

October 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Reply
      • no1dane

Santa Claus flies his own rig; not commercial airlines.

October 6, 2012 at 3:29 am |
    • Girliegirl

Um... I need guys to have beards. Seriously, some women really, really love them. Don't deprive us, please.

October 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Reply
      • tony

how old are you, honey? im scruffy at the moment... ill send you a pic if you email me. :)

aesutton AT gmail dot com

October 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Sodomite

Would that affect all the "hipster" d0uchebags as well?

October 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Reply
    • Ghalib

How come a beard is associated with terrorism? Did you forget that most of the 911 hijackers had no beards. And Jesus had a beard as well as Abe Lincoln. We would do very poorly if we judged people by looks.

October 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
    • Seldom Seen Mike

Haha what a dumb thing to say.

October 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Reply
    • me

Because that's invasion of privacy, (I know that hasn't stopped the government before) and in some cases invasion of religion,(that hasn't stopped them either). Not to mention racial profiling, (damn that hasn't stopped them either) and politically incorrect (ugh strike 4).

Hum... I see many flaws in your idea, but nothing that would stop the government.

October 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Reply
    • Paul

Literally the stupidest thing I've heard today. Get a job, man.

October 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • Sarsar

Are you sure you want to be on chuck Norris'bad side?

October 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Reply
    • really?

Why can't we outlaw beards for flying? Either you are trolling or you need to be sterilized so you don't reproduce. Exactly how are beards dangerous? You do realize that a terrorist can shave the hair off of their face just like any normal person, when you decide to blow something up you don't grow a permanent beard.

Go play in traffic

October 5, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Reply
  14. Tadamori Yagi

He looks like Steve Jobs to me.... lol

October 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Reply
    • Kapnkaos

He does look like Steve Jobs..

October 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Reply
      • Mohamad-CNN

he looks more like Jesus.

May surprise to many but Jesus was not blond blue eyes! :)

October 5, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  15. Let's Play Armis

TOS are too long to read, am I allowed to ask you to support my campaign?

If so please visit: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/243606?a=1532302

If not please ignore this post.

thanks

October 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Reply
    • Roger

No. Post ignored.

October 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Reply
      • me

ignored, yet read and replied too. Interesting.

October 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Kapnkaos

You should have said I don't care what the TOS I'm going to do as I damn well please.. Do you really think we would fund a project for someone who can't abide by rules?

October 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  16. Let's Play Armis

If you look like a 'terrorist', if you look like a 'bad guy', if you have a 'threatening look', if people are afraid of you just because of your appearance ... then of course you should get the role.

October 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Reply
  17. obamaplace

Guy – actors like you are half the reason middle eastern people are hated so much in this country

shows like 24 and homeland are just right wing propaganda.

October 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Reply
    • Emmanuel Goldstein

I guess you didn't know that Homeland is a remake of a hit Israeli show. The Israeli show was a huge hit in that countries and others. Showtime isn't trying to be political, they are trying to make money. Please do some research next time instead of making ridiculous knee-jerk accusations. It makes the rest of us liberals look foolish.

October 5, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Reply
      • truth will out

actually Emmanuel, just by claiming to be a liberal, you are doing a fine job of making yourself look stupid.....

October 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
      • Emmanuel Goldstein

Oh wow...hahaha...you got me! See, cause you are conservative, so you disagree with my viewpoint. And you are so myopic in your thinking that you can't rationally discuss your opinions you have to make silly child-like insults. Wow, yeah, you really got me........

October 5, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
      • Julius and Ethel

"Hit Israeli show"

hence right wing propaganda.

October 5, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • Han

Well 24 did have a terrorist-turned pacifist who sacrificed his life to save the president.

October 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • joey fabulous

I am a liberal/progressive who loves Homeland. It showed why the congressman became a Muslim and was "turned" in the first place... due to the killing of Isra (sp?), the little Muslin boy he dearly loved and cared for that got taken out with many other innocents in a US strike ordered by the VP so I do not at all see the show as right wing propaganda. It presents different view points and I hope the producers continue to show the complexities of US-Mid East relations.

October 5, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • jp

Hey those are two really great shows. Oh, and they are entertainment you boob. Not propoganda and not training. Just Plain Entertainment. Get a life.

October 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Reply
      • fibergirl

hey yur giving my boobs a bad name....jk

October 6, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  18. dc

He's lucky Obama didn't "drone" him!

October 5, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  19. Brad

And in other news: thousands of people who DON'T play terrorists on TV are pulled aside for extra questoning and security screening every single day for the past decade.

October 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Reply
    • Roger

Sorry, but so should they. I regret their troubles and inconvenience and I know 99% are decent and loyal citizens, but the harsh truth is that we are at war with hostile organizations from some islamic countries. Until that changes, we need to be vigilant and we should practice ethnic profiling. In these politically correct times it's an awful thing to hear, but our security comes first. Reality comes before political correctness. If we were at war with Canada, every person with Canadian ties should be subjected to additional scrutiny.

October 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Reply
      • Brad

What ethnic profiling? I was referring to white people.

October 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  20. Panties

I used to be an Arab Muslim; but, I got over it. Now I am back to normal.

October 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  21. joe

it will make him better actor

October 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  22. Brad

If he went through the airport in costume like the picture on the right side, I'd be yelling that Steve Jobs wasn't dead.
    And his head was just cold!!
    La Guardia is old and has no heat. Right?

October 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  23. Abdullo

Make sense now, Obama said the guy in the debate looked like Romney, but did not talk like Romney, may be the guy was just an actor like TV guy here!

October 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  24. FreedomDZ

very offending article to muslims, it suggests that people with brown skin or beards are potential terrorists, the first two paragraphs are meant to misslead people and brain wash them.

October 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Reply
    • Abdullo

People are used to now of pulled over at the airports; it's not just the USA, but everywhere. Those third world and middle eastern countries even worst, they will pull you over and go through extensive search, while white folks walking through security, literally.

October 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
      • Sac Man

So there is some common sense left in the system.

October 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
      • Saud

clearly you've never been to one of those countries.

October 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • AlsoAMuslim

I am a Syrian Muslim and I was not offended. When we stop killing and burning everything in our way, they will stop stereotyping us. With Muslims killing other Muslims and non-Muslims everyday on the news what do you expect??

October 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Reply
      • obamaplace

I'm going to call BS on you being a muslim

October 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
      • Emmanuel Goldstein

Alsoamuslim--Please take a moment and think about how sad and pathetic it is that you came online to pretend to be someone of a different religion than your own to try (unsuccessfully) to fool people in to disliking people from that religion. Do you see how sad you are?

October 5, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
      • tony

a rational muslim? i hope you're not lying, as that really boosts my faith in humanity. but if you realize this, maybe you should leave the religion. at this stage, guilt by association isnt such an unjust thing.

October 5, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • PurpleStikyPunch

Agreed. The actor himself says that when he had longer hair and a beard "he wouldn't want to get on a plane with him". Longer hair, a beard, these are common Muslim traits, and so they are likely to be found on terrorists. But look at all the violence in America. If we had to be concerned about criminals by the way they look, then we would have to be afraid of every black or white American, plus people in hoods, plus people wearing black, etc. But at least we don't profile innocent people. I wish he would have been treated badly by TSA... it would have made for more important issues that need to be addressed.

October 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  25. INFOWARS

Do we still believe in made up terrorists?
    My god no wonder why we have 2 retards up to run our country.

Wake up!!! 911 was an inside job to bring in a global government and strip everyones human rights away.

October 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • Wow.

Take off your tin-foil hat, Bucky, and stop buying all those idiotic conspiracy theories.

October 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Reply
      • PurpleStikyPunch

Dude you need to do your research. The government says anything and you buy into it. Too much is unexplained from that day that SCIENCE can verify is incredibly suspect. Tell me, if the buildings fell because they were so incredibly hot, then why were all the people at ground zero covered in ash seconds after the collapse not burnt by it? Why didn't the Manhattan News that morning before the attacks happened report the approaching category 3 hurricane, when years before Manhattan was evacuated for a category 1? Yes a hurricane was there, and the national weather service has all the records and pictures of it you need. But the news that morning in New York said sunny all day... even though they KNEW that was a lie? What about testimony from officials that the fires were so hot that they incinerated the plane and all the bodies, yet they identified some of the terrorists by their passports? Look, you're free to believe whatever you want based on whoever's testimony you want. But if you go around trying to debate that there is no viable evidence eluding to an inside job, then it's only because you don't lift a finger to research it for yourself but only depend on the bias news stations for what goes in your mind. I bet you didn't know that accredited university structural engineers and chemical scientists have filed a class actions lawsuit against the company responsible for the 9-11 report after their own research into ground zero, finding that the scientists had falsified evidence their findings? When contacted, some of the researchers at ground zero said themselves that they knew of evidence that was reported which wasn't even looked into. The report shows findings that they didn't even investigate. From the mouths of people who themselves were SUPPOSE to be doing that. I bet the first words out of your mouth are, "these things aren't true". But they are. More scientifically established findings than support that counter claim of a terrorist attack. Those buildings simply should not have fallen. Structural engineers have established it. The architect of towers himself has publicly come out stating that they were specifically designed to withstand a hit from the EXACT planes that hit them, because those were the largest model commercial aircraft at the time the buildings were built. And if you think he could just say that, a look at the blueprints from OTHER engineers has substantiated that he didn't falter in designing and building towers resistant to such an attack. And as much as you might want to think the fires took down the steal beams, it has been long established at what temperatures certain elements burn, and others melt away. No fire from any airplane can burn hot enough to melt those steal beams, because no fuel in any airplane can burn that hot. Even if you think that's a lie, it doesn't explain in the least why building 7 fell. It was not hit by a plane, the fire was uch more secluded, and it didn't burn for nearly as long. But it fell just as observably perfect as the other two... for NO REASON. Scientists have proved these things. If you disagree, you need to prove THEM wrong... and that's not done by saying that CNN reporter so and so read a piece of paper given to them from someone else that "proves" the opposite. There can be no evidence of something that didn't occur. So you need to wake up and think for yourself. The government has a vested interest in you believing that was a terrorist attack.... the physical laws of nature do not. And those two elements, the media, and scientific findings, do not tell the same story. You get to choose which to believe. The reason this conspiracy still sticks around is because the scientific findings of fraud have not gone away, they've only been explained away. A lawyer with all the evidence available would have a strong case in support of a false flag attack. But you wouldn't know that, or believe that, because you clearly only have the evidence that others have thrown in your lap from the lackies in the news corporations. When it comes to structural engineering, the laws of physics, and the suspect actions of the powers that be weeks before and on the day of the attack, it would take a truly un-learned individual to simply reject all findings on the grounds of what reporters tell you. Reporters get paid to speak, not be right. Fox News has proven that on a number of occasions. Explain away the evidence and then you have room to disregard conspiracy. And by the way, conspiracy just means a group of individuals coming together to form a plot for something... anything really. Conspiracy by definition doesn't mean "crazy and wrong". It means to conspire, to plot secretly. If you don't think THAT doesn't happen in EVERY government and EVERY military, then you need to come back in a few years after you educate yourself on reality.

October 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • KevinP

So, you think that dudes that can't manage to keep a mistress hidden could pull that off?

Two things heard about GW: 1 – He's the biggest idiot that ever lived. 2- He pulled off the biggest con job in the history of the world and fooled everyone into going along with him.

How does the biggest idiot to ever live fool everybody else and not get caught???

October 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Reply
    • Roger

You make no sense. Take your meds.

October 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Reply
  26. Treva

This is a situation where you can' win for losing. Does this guy want to work in Hollywood? Yes! Obviously it is his passion. And let's be honet, he will never net a job as the romantic lead in today's movies. But I know there are a lot of people out there who think he is an Uncle Tom. i can't judge him. He has a steady JOB, whih is more than a LOT of people these days.

October 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  27. Objectivity

Although I don't think the author, Suzanne Kelly, meant for the article to come across in this way, the wording of the first two paragraphs makes it sound awfully stereotypical. The way that this was written makes it sound like just because the actor is Iranian, he looks like a terrorist. This is grossly offensive, racist, and should be reworded immediately. I can't believe that nobody else has brought this up!

"It's hard to say that looking like a terrorist would be a good thing, but it hasn't gone so badly for Navid Negahban.

The Iranian-born actor, who has played a range of bad guys during his career, currently plays terrorist Abu Nazir on the Showtime hit series "Homeland," and the success of the series has made him one of the world's best-known non-terrorists."

October 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    • James

What in the world are you talking about. The article is objective, including the first two paragraphs. He "looks like a terrorist" because his role keeps him "looking" like one as closely as we know reality to be. The fact that he's Iranian-born means nothing more to the article that the fact that his role in the show plays him to be a middle eastern terrorist. You're reading waaaaay to far into it.

October 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  28. lhrmk

I can't wait for the day when we all just kill each other and end this charade which is humanity. we are totally unworthy of this world or any semblance of freedom herein.

October 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Reply
    • Roger

Right. I agree w you. Perhaps you could start by killing yourself first to show you are sincere, and the rest of us will follow you. Yes, really.

October 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  29. WASP

i'm with george carlin. i don't want 72 virgins, that's nothing but work having to train them all. what happens if they are eternally virgins, they wouldn't ever get it. nah just give me 72 W H O RES that know what to do. ROFLMFAO

October 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Reply
    • shuyaib

So you are a victim of Israeli propaganda about 72 virgins for martyrs in islam. What other fairy tales have they told you by which you judge muslims?

October 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Reply
      • mike

What, have they bartered it up? What is it now, 144?

October 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
      • Roger

What? 72 virgins? I thought it was a 72 year old virgin! Now it's all starting to make sense.

October 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  30. Danny

This reminds me of the episode of Friends when Joey does a commercial for an STD. He couldn't get a date for weeks.

October 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Reply
    • shrinktofit

Typical teenage mentality that translates what they see on a TV sitcom to have any relevance to the truth.

October 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Reply
      • orator

Except, you know, Friends was on TV 20 years ago, so it's not likely Danny is a teenager.

October 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
      • wlubake

All he said is that the article reminds him of an episode. He did nothing to indicate that he felt the Friends episode had any bearing on real life implications. Stop being so dang self-important by trying to drop a turd on what other people say. The article is light, and Danny's comment tracks that tone. You however, add a nice wet blanket to the whole thing. What a miserable way to go through life.

October 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
  31. Lee Oates

I heard Romney was a terrorist. Oh, I'm sorry, he is just a pathological liar who wants to destroy the middleclass to make his rich friends richer. Hopefully people will recognize that he is just an unpaid actor playing a role.

October 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
    • Sam

Grow. Up.

October 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
    • JP

Even if he were playing... he is better than the fool in the office now.

October 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Reply
    • NOBAMA 12

When you have nothing intelligent to say...

October 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Reply
      • Maria

I agree. If you cannot say something nice, don't say anything at all. He is our president after all, and I am so sorry he couldn't cater to your needs or else you wouldn't be so bitter. Grow up.

October 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • lol

Aren't liberals adorable when they get proven wrong?

October 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Reply
    • Roger

Lee, congratulations! You have provided ample proof that you are not only delusional, but an idiot to boot.

October 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  32. MashaSobaka

I once watched an entire Sikh family be pulled out of line and taken aside for a "random security check." Come on...the religion that has the cleanest track record in the US, and you pick *them* to profile?

October 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Reply
    • qanerd

I watched an 88 year old disabled woman forced to remove her adult diaper. You point is???

October 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Reply
      • Stiglich

You actually watched that? You are one sick individual!!!

October 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
      • TheBigGuyWithAGun

Giggidy!!

October 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Jake

Well, they searched me while in uniform with military ID, making me take off a boot I had on for my broken ankle. Anyone is subjected to search... trust me.

October 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Reply
    • giggity

let not just exaggerate here. it was a sikh who killed Ghandi and her son. so don't tell me how peaceful sikhs are

October 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
      • pk2007

Ghandi and her was killed by a Sikh...

Search google for clarity...
        There is Mahatma Gandhi, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi...

2nd two are not "closely" "related" to two. Indira Gandhi was killed by a Sikh.. that was different story. Rajiv Gandhi Indira Gandhi's son was killed by LTTE who has no connection with Sikh...
        Get your facts right before you post...

October 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • George Patton

Two years back I saw an Arabic bi-s'exual person was forced to go through double body search, by male and female TSA agents. Imagine how humiliating it would be for someone to one searches your junk, while the other agent searches your boobs.

October 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
      • Parick

You'r funny George. I know it's not your post. Get new handler. There is no shortage of American names !!

October 5, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
      • George Patton

Patrick, I know this new guy is messing up my profile. Check with Sir, if he assigned the same handler to two guys.

October 5, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  33. Wil

Things like this have been going on for years.

It is/was especially for the people that did the re-enactments for America's Most Wanted, those guys have been getting being mistaken for actual bad guys for years.

It got so bad, that after a while, they started keeping the personal details of the actors on record, so they could immediately discount tips/sightings of the actors from the other ones.

October 5, 2012 at 11:58 am | Reply
  34. Emigdio Alvarez

if you play a terrorist on TV and get mistaken as one in real life, then either they're racists or you've done a good job in your role.

October 5, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
  35. jfc1

ah the irony of a middle-eastern terrorist who is dependent on eyeglasses made with Western technology LOL

October 5, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • JM

You mean ancient Egyptian technology right?

October 5, 2012 at 11:53 am | Reply
    • Jake

You do realize, I hope, that eyeglasses existed before Christopher Columbus... Meaning, Middle-Eastern people probably had eyeglasses way before us Americans did... Just sayin... ;)

October 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Reply
      • Alex

STOP SAYING "Just Sayin'!". IT IS UNORIGINAL AND ANNOYING

October 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • lol

Stop your whining Alex...

Just sayin

October 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  36. syntagacom

I have a rather large beard and get looks of worry. I'm white and have no accent whatsoever, but people are so afraid of someone with a beard that resembles something "the enemy" would wear.
    But then again, I'm leery of turbans and burkas.

October 5, 2012 at 11:34 am | Reply
    • weezer

I think we should send you to Guantanamo just to be sure.

October 5, 2012 at 11:43 am | Reply
  37. Ax

Entertainers like to be remembered and in the spotlight. Cheers!

October 5, 2012 at 11:15 am | Reply
  38. Abdullo

Also, we all hope this terrorism becomes a thing of the past. I hope we kill the real guys fast and move on. We don't want people, our kids to keep reminding these evil people on TV shows.

October 5, 2012 at 10:14 am | Reply
    • CuriosityKilledTheCat

This is America- we love terrorist!!, If you were a common working man in the 16th and 17th centuries, do you honestly beleive that a ravenous gang of over sea hijackers (to rape and kill you all) would one day be a billion dollar franchise with Johny Depp and rollercoaster rides, here in Fl we have huge parties dedicated to Jose Gaspar!!!- in 500 years, 9-11 could very well be a rollercoaster ride, with you sitting in a 747 and it will go up into the mock World Trade centers and suddenly drop- the kids will love it, and 9-11 will cease to be a day of horror, but bring smiles to children flying through air on a vacation- provacitive yes, but still possible

October 5, 2012 at 10:34 am | Reply
      • JLV

Sure because people remember Pearl Harbor with fondness. Come one come all PTSD the ride. If you haven't gotten it that was sarcasm. Dec. 7 1941 still lives in infamy. The outrage may have cooled, but no one thinks it was great fun.

October 5, 2012 at 11:01 am |
      • CuriosityKilledTheCat

JLV- your logic is a little flawed, Ben Affleck sure found Pearl Harbor to be advantagous for his carreer, as did the millions who watched that film found it entertaining- sure it takes along time for attacks and war to become romantic, but it still happens. On the gulf coast of Fl the history of Pirates is celebrated- Islamic terrorism could well one day be those dashing,handsome heroes that the Pirates of the 17th century have become today

October 5, 2012 at 11:09 am |
      • Abdullo

@ Curiosity either you have weird sense humor or you just don't wan to accept it was a bad post. I am sure Hollywood and theme parks are all about money but looking sensitivity of the 911, they would never start 911 rides, but yes it is possible to see them in Saudi Arabia.

October 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
      • Jake

And start seeing little terrorists and Osama bin Ladens running around Halloween night... I like your point of view... Can't be mad at that statement because you are probably right... Sadly...

October 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  39. I just saw Jesus

He repo'd my Harley!

October 5, 2012 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • lindaluttrell

Now, THAT's un-American!

October 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Reply
    • jc

right, you should give jesus what belongs to jesus

October 5, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  40. Abdullo

it just says he is a good actor.

October 5, 2012 at 10:09 am | Reply
  41. Bubba™

Soap opera actors are often attacked for things their characters do. "I hate you!" wham wham wham "How dare you run out on John?"

October 5, 2012 at 10:01 am | Reply
    • Foodpimp

I hate it when I'm attacked to things. I come off so aggressive.

October 5, 2012 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • shrinktofit

That only happens when the viewers have such uninteresting, lonely, and putrid little lives of their own. They have no realistic truth to call their own, so they borrow a fake one from a soap opera. It must really suck to be them.

October 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  42. Mark

I have to say I loved this story. Pretty funny .... You have to feel for the guy .... But then again this isn't necessarily hurting his wallet.

October 5, 2012 at 9:52 am | Reply
  43. Quadg

i like it, an iranian making legal money from muslim terrorism in america....
    you cant make this stuff up....

October 5, 2012 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Paul

Add to that, Catherine Bell is Iranian and plays a Navy Lawyer catching terrorists!

October 5, 2012 at 9:56 am | Reply
    • lindaluttrell

Leave it to Hollywood...maybe he'll get an emmy next year...

October 5, 2012 at 10:45 am | Reply
  44. Stan the Man

Well at least they're catching TV terrorists. By this time next year real terrorists are in big trouble.

October 5, 2012 at 9:08 am | Reply
    • Ally821

I like how the name TERRORIST has been trademarked for only MUSLIMS. Don't DARE associate that filthy word with the rest of us who do similar crimes.

October 5, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply
      • Foodpimp

"Us" hon? Just remember to always accessorize your suicide vest. Remember, the bombs make the girl.

October 5, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Bubba™

"By this time next year real terrorists are in big trouble." They are hiding under their beds in fear of our drones. One of their top men was shot down in flames by a drone piloted by a woman; no 72 virgins for him. The idea that unveiled women are using robot planes to stalk and kill them like deer unnerves them.

October 5, 2012 at 11:01 am | Reply
  45. barbara

"I'm not a terrorist, but I play one on TV" might not be the best career in the world. Can't believe how stupid people are to blur TV shows and reality.

October 5, 2012 at 9:01 am | Reply
    • Emigdio Alvarez

same thing happens in Professional Wrestling. the other week Jerry Lawler had a legitimate heart attack and some commentators posted that it's all fake. I'm sure Owen Hart is still at home with his loving family.

October 5, 2012 at 11:53 am | Reply
      • WASP

@E.A.: i saw owens hit the floor and not get up. i watched bart gun billy guns brother snap his neck on the ropes. a lot of these guys die or become seriously injuried and like you said, most "viewers" think it's all a joke.

October 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
  46. KERRY

Good to know someone is watching at the airport, even if it means profiling at least the most obvious people are suspect rather than granny and kids in diapers.

October 5, 2012 at 8:46 am | Reply
    • DebAH

Is it safe to assume that you're not one of those being profiled?

October 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Reply
  47. Tim S

I'm glad the TSA is doing SOME profiling. The "take your shoes off grandma" thing has got to end. And the "random check" charade too.

October 5, 2012 at 8:40 am | Reply
    • Alex

Except that's when the real terrorist cells start recruiting Grandma looking types so they can breeze by security.

October 5, 2012 at 8:55 am | Reply
      • Adam

Because we all know little white old grandma wants to strap a bomb belt to her busted back to blow herself up in an airport to end the pain....

October 5, 2012 at 9:02 am |
      • Alex

You're mistaken if you think there aren't white radical Muslim people in the world–some of whom are elderly.

October 5, 2012 at 9:05 am |
      • Nathaniel

Alex, please name one. No, really. You speak with such authority on the matter, it shouldn't be that difficult to name one of these white sleeper cell members.

October 5, 2012 at 9:28 am |
      • Number4

There are some lighter skinned Muslims living in the Balkans and the Caucasus region.

October 5, 2012 at 9:53 am |
      • some guy

David Headly AKA Tahawur Hussain Rana , Because he looked white he changed his name to David Headly , a jewish businessman , he was the scout, planner and financier of the Mumbai attacks.

October 5, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • jrh0

Except that anyone who knows, would realize that a guy who "looks like a terrorist" probably isn't a terrorist. 1. Militant Islam (not mainstream traditional Islam, but the fringe radicalized terrorist preaching kind) promotes going stealth. IE: They tell you it is better to adopt Western looks and customs to fool your enemies. 2. A Jihadi about commit a suicide attack would not be all bearded and "terrorist-y. Part of the process of prepping for "martyrdom" is being cleansed, including clean shaven. A terrorist on a suicide mission would have cut his hair and shaved his face. Wouldn't look different at all.

October 5, 2012 at 11:10 am | Reply
  48. sparky

If you're brown, you have to play a terrorist. Hollywood has spoken.

October 5, 2012 at 8:14 am | Reply
    • joe

So if you are white you have to play DUMB!!!!!!!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 8:27 am | Reply
      • ron

Now days, yes. What show doesn't have a smart snappy minority character, or woman and a dumb white guy neighbor? Heck, they've been doing it since Archie Bunker and the Jeffersons. With all due respect to eveeryone, it is a discrimination against white men. I don't want to hear what goes around comes around, because even individual races discriminate against each other (Example, is you were, say, Eskimo, and discriminated against gay Eskimos).

October 5, 2012 at 8:42 am |
      • Mitt Romney

" With all due respect to eveeryone, it is a discrimination against white men." Aw, I feel so sowwy for you! Give him a big hug. Your pain must be awful.

October 5, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  49. michaelfury

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

– Orwell

October 5, 2012 at 8:10 am | Reply
    • TRACK

EXCELLENT!...Orwell would be proud you used him here...

October 5, 2012 at 10:09 am | Reply
  50. Hadenuffyet

I wonder if Jeff Dunham has a hard time with luggage at the airports with a terrorist in his bags.

October 5, 2012 at 7:31 am | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

Jeff doesn't fly. He drives his wife's Prius.

October 5, 2012 at 9:05 am | Reply
    • WASP

@haden: nah ahmed just saids " hi oh i'm lindsay lohan" lmfao i love that guy. XD

October 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  51. really?!?!

In no way did it seem that he was "mistaken for a terrorist". If he was, he would've been tackled and arrested, with guns drawn at him. All the CBP agent did was ask him questions. Way to go in sensationalize something again cnn.

October 5, 2012 at 6:55 am | Reply
    • Bubba™

Ever heard "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" Being on tv causes people to mistake your face. The TSA guy was thinking he'd seen this guy on a wanted poster, or an alert, or . . .

October 5, 2012 at 11:04 am | Reply
  52. pbernasc

I must say, he is a good looking terrorist .. he must be banging a lot of ladies the lucky dude .. and I bet he tells them terror jokes while he is doing them ... ah ah ... this guy gets the real virgins every day by faking terror on TV, while the real terrorists get nothing, die and keep getting no virgins despite the fake promises ... isn't that ironic?

October 5, 2012 at 4:13 am | Reply
    • GinaBonBon

pbernasc,
      interesting way to look at it. kinda funny! and, ironic, yes!

October 5, 2012 at 8:34 am | Reply
  53. 28Mamerican

Lol I think he asked for it. Im white and I would be scared to say quite a few things infront of tsa. My but ole does not need probing.

October 5, 2012 at 3:37 am | Reply
  54. cacalips

Dont worry public, Soon you all will be labeled terrorists to get those drones in the air in a city near you. More cameras installed, and more government dependency = you voice out, TERRORIST. The TSA is already doing surprise stops on citisens asking them to stop in place. To test them. Any one that doesnt obey is arrested. They are now testing your coffee INSIDE the security zone, that you clearly purchased at star bucks. BUt oh no, it could be Al quida in your coffee. They are targeting usually non terrorist look alikes. This is a slow message they are watching, you have no freedoms, and DONT THINK about growing a beard in America. You sheeple keep voting for the same two parties that are for the same agenda. DOminate, surpress, prepare the FEMA camps for you

October 5, 2012 at 2:56 am | Reply
    • John

The above commenter is crazy. There's nothing to see here. Move along.

October 5, 2012 at 4:00 am | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

Don’t worry cacalips..jebus will save us!

October 5, 2012 at 9:06 am | Reply
    • Bubba™

"DONT THINK about growing a beard in America" Too late, crazy person. The hay's in the barn.

October 5, 2012 at 9:57 am | Reply
  55. Mtheumer

Because people are stupid. That point is proven every day.

October 5, 2012 at 2:43 am | Reply
  56. Dave

He is helping stereotype the Iranian look as a terrorist look therefore Iranians will be pulled over more in the airport and harassed!? What people do for the money!?

October 5, 2012 at 1:58 am | Reply
    • Erik

Oh please. Would you rather that Showtime had cast Whoopie Goldberg as a terrorist? The stereotype already exists. One way to fight stereotypes is for more Iranian-Americans to become famous actors. Most people, even those prone to stereotype others, appreciate actors and realize that they are .... acting.

October 5, 2012 at 8:19 am | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

Do you really think most non-middle easterners (and many middle easterners) can tell the difference between an Iranian and an Iraq just by looking at them?

October 5, 2012 at 9:08 am | Reply
      • Americal68

easy enough. one is semite the other caucasian. you take your life in your hands calling a Persian an Arab

October 5, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Bubba™

" What people do for the money!?" Yeah, we should have had the Iranian terrorist played by a guido from Joisey just to shake things up a bit.

October 5, 2012 at 9:59 am | Reply
  57. Keksi

As they say be careful what you wish for...you play terrorist for money and you might end up being accused of being terrorist after all.

October 5, 2012 at 1:55 am | Reply
  58. brake

TSA agent probably thought he was going to meet jesus for a split second

October 5, 2012 at 1:27 am | Reply
    • ozonator

So a Jewish carpenter looks Persian and not Italian?

October 5, 2012 at 1:54 am | Reply
      • de-ozonator

Jesus was mid eastern not european, yes he looked like arabs and persians. todays jews have alot of european blood in them because alot of them were in europe before israel was created after WW2.

October 5, 2012 at 8:54 am |
      • Tom, Tom, The Piper's Son

Jesus was black… well at least the woman sitting to cubes up from me says so…so it must be true.

October 5, 2012 at 9:10 am |