Syrian prime minister defects, officials say
Riyad Hijab speaking in Quneitra, Syria in November 2008
August 6th, 2012

Syrian prime minister defects, officials say

Syria's prime minister has defected, officials said Monday, in what is the highest-profile departure from the embattled regime of President Bashar al-Assad.

Riyad Hijab fled Syria overnight and arrived with his family in Jordan, said George Sabra, a spokesman for the opposition Syrian National Council.

Jordanian officials confirmed that Hijab, who was appointed prime minister in June, had defected to Jordan and was with his family.

The Syrian government, meanwhile, said Hijab resigned his post, according to a banner on Syrian state-run TV.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Assad • Syria
  1. Takashi

While protestation agisant Islam is needed, I do not support or agree with this act comitted by a liberal lesbian, who has abandoned Islam, yes, but not for the reasons I believe but for inordinate depraved lusts.This is just then another form or expression of the depraved liberalism that is just as much a danger and nuisance as Islam. I think if I support this particular expression of protest, coming from this particular person I would be joining the liberals I detest so very much, those who also attack my valued tradition. I think certain attacks agisant Islam are also attacks agisant the general stance that many anti islamists hold dear. I do not align myself with such people.

November 13, 2012 at 12:59 am | Reply
  2. Nike Air Foamposite One

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and test once more here regularly. I am reasonably certain I will be told many new stuff proper here! Good luck for the following!
    Nike Air Foamposite One http://www.pickgoodshoes.com/Nike-Air-Foamposite-One-c3756.html

October 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  3. Larry

De@th to Assad and his family and supporters. What losers. They are on the srong side of history.

August 7, 2012 at 1:15 am | Reply
  4. Fleet-Dragon

i dont like this... it smells like another Egypt... were loosing way too much damn ground...

August 6, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Reply
  5. Quarant

He was fired.

August 6, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Reply
  6. OffTheWorldPolitics

The Assad regime is a sinking ship. I'm sure a lot of officials don't want to end up like Gaddafi...

August 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  7. RetiredVet

Maybe he defected on his own George, he's not the only one.

August 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Reply
  8. George Patton

I wonder just how much the C.I.A. paid this clown Riyad Hijab to "defect". I bet that it was a pretty penny! Now we see where our tax money goes.

August 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Reply