Top officials killed in blast, Syria says
A picture released by the official Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) on July 18, 2012, shows Syrian Defence Minister General Daoud Rajha at an undisclosed location.
July 18th, 2012
08:45 AM ET

Top officials killed in blast, Syria says

Syria's defense minister and deputy defense minister were killed Wednesday in a blast at a national security building in Damascus, state media reported.

The attack brings the bloodshed in Syria well into President Bashar al-Assad's inner circle and could mark a pivotal point in the 16-month uprising.

Defense Minister Dawood Rajiha and Deputy Minister Assef Shawkat - who is al-Assad's brother-in-law - were killed in the explosion during a meeting of ministers and security officials, state TV reported.

They are the highest-ranking Syrian officials killed in the uprising.

FULL STORY


Filed under: Assad • Syria
soundoff (9 Responses)
  1. gnome

    dude read a dictionary

    September 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  2. gnome

    saeed read a dictionary man

    September 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  3. brewstswdiz

    click here tmew
    dovr http://www.windows7keycodes.com pbpb

    August 7, 2012 at 2:06 am | Reply
  4. George Patton

    I wonder just how much of a hand the C.I.A. or the notorious British MI-6 had in this act of murder. Somehow I don't think that these so-called "rebels" in Syria did it totally on their own. Now the right-wing thugs in both London and Washington are going to have another big field day over this!!!

    July 18, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  5. dan

    I hope these were not some of Obama's campaign contributors.

    July 18, 2012 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • Rick from LA

      I think this has the halmarks of a Mossad operation. If this was American, you would be reading about the details of how and why it took place in the monring papers.

      July 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Reply
  6. saeed

    USA and Britain are doing this because they are bankrupt and USA and Britain are loser nation that can't even send a man into space they can even send a submarine 7000m down the pacific ocean that china did last month 4 times.

    July 18, 2012 at 10:30 am | Reply
    • Brian Boston

      saeed... you're an uneducated bafoun. Apollo 11 reached the moon over 50 years ago. Numerous Americans have been into space since then. As for the Submarine , James Cameron went to nearly 12000m deep. You need to hop off the page and try reading a book.

      July 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply
      • saeed

        china sent a submarine 5 times to a depth over 7000m and brought up 11 biological samples what did australia bring up not a singel thing. the apollo program was a loser program the chinese robotic drone made the higest reselution map of the moons surface ever what did the apolle program achive not a singel thing and that program went bankcrupt just like the loser space shuttle.

        July 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm |

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.