McGurk's wife: I've become 'collateral damage'
Brett McGurk during testimony before the Senate.
June 15th, 2012

McGurk's wife: I've become 'collateral damage'

The wife of Brett McGurk, the president's pick to be ambassador to Iraq, whose nomination is in jeopardy following recent revelations of questionable conduct, said Friday she feels "targeted" over recent reports that led to her resignation as a reporter for the Wall Street Journal.

"I've never felt so vulnerable, so targeted and so exposed as I have in the last two weeks," Gina Chon wrote in an email to friends, obtained by CNN. "I feel like I have become collateral damage in this process."

McGurk, who served in the administrations of  President Barack Obama and former President George W. Bush, has come under scrutiny since salacious emails with Chon were made public, revealing the two carried on an affair while they were stationed in Baghdad in 2008. They later married, but the emails and ensuing revelations led to Chon's resignation from her post Tuesday at the Journal and Senate leaders have indicated they may delay a vote on McGurk's confirmation.

Read the whole story on CNN's Political Ticker

Filed under: Diplomacy • Iraq • Security Brief
  1. Anhh Sillettoe

Thanks for another informative blog. The place else could I get that kind of information written in such an ideal way? I've a project that I'm simply now operating on, and I've been at the glance out for such info.

July 5, 2012 at 9:39 am | Reply
  2. CarmenSo

This is only a scandal; because Republicans still live in 1905 where women weren't allowed to date without a chaperon and her father had to approve all male admirers

June 19, 2012 at 7:47 am | Reply
  3. FormerPresidentBarackObama?

Very Prophetic!

June 18, 2012 at 11:19 am | Reply
  4. lisequinn

Why would she resign? Were they not both single at the time? Are they not married now – why would this be a scandal? Two consenting adults meeting, dating, marrying?

June 18, 2012 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • zumaque1

The "extended" article indicates he was married.

June 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Reply
      • CarmenSo

Maybe i missed that part in the extended article but i didn't see anywhere that said he was married

June 19, 2012 at 7:43 am |
  5. mo

Former President Barack Obama?? I know I've been out of the country for almost 5 months but hell im pretty sure hes still the president.

June 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Reply
  6. voodkokk

This guy is done. Why are we still even talking about this. He should be lucky to any have a security clearance after this.

June 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  7. nancy

Age gap dating is trending nowadays. Many girls are looking to date older guys, mainly because older guys are relatively more successful in career and understand better how to treat a girl. Many couples with age gap work out fine and get alone splendidly. If you are ready for a new adventure, search 【Age_less_Date】 and give our girls a try. You know, no gap is too wide if you both feel so right.

June 15, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Reply
  8. GhostCoyote

How is she collatoral damage? She was a prime player in the scandal. And if she feels threatened or targeted by the media, then maybe this is just a case of Kharma biting her in the ass, seeing has how she was a part of that world (granted I don't know exactly what beat she was assigned to or any specific articles she may have written. I'm generalizing about the media as a community in general being vultures and bullies)

June 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  9. William H

From the article.

"McGurk, who served in the administrations of former Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush"

President Obama is not a former president.

June 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Reply
    • Roger

I saw that too. I was thinking; wait a minute,has CNN called this race already?

June 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • voodkokk

He will be after November

June 16, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  10. LibsRLoony

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh went the liberal victim.

June 15, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Reply