A constant reminder of America's POW
May 11th, 2012

A constant reminder of America's POW

A poster of the American soldier being held captive by the Taliban since June 2009 is on display in the Defense Department's CENTCOM command center.   Gen. Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, mentioned the display of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, during a briefing with reporters Thursday, to highlight how the soldier's fate is always on the military's mind.

"I can assure you that we are doing everything in our power, using our intelligence resources across the government, to try to find, locate him," General Martin Dempsey said at a Pentagon press conference.

Bergdahl's parents said this week that the U.S. had been negotiating with the Taliban to exchange their son for five detainees at Guantanamo.  It was the first public admission of the fact their son was part of the negotiation.  The POW's parents gave the interview in part because of frustration about the lack of progress in freeing their son.Asked about how much focus the U.S. military has given searching for Bergdahl, Dempsey cited the poster as an example that the POW is not forgotten.  Here is what he said:

"Yes, I've had the Bergdahls in my office. I've corresponded with them several times. I've - I understand their concerns. And I can assure you that we are doing everything in our power, using our intelligence resources across the government, to try to find, locate him, and that - I mean, I'll give you one vignette. If you go to the CENTCOM command center, where, you know, their conference room, there's about a four-by-six-foot poster of Bowe Bergdahl sitting in front of the podium to remind them, and therefore us, every day that he remains missing in action. I can assure you of that."

Filed under: Afghanistan • Dempsey • Military • Security Brief • Taliban • US Central Command
  1. ropa erotica

I don't even know the way I finished up right here, but I thought this post was once great. I do not understand who you are however certainly you are going to a famous blogger when you are not already. Cheers!

October 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  2. J.D. Carlile

There Seems To Be Some Comments Missing! But Renee You Are 100% Right, Never Leave A Fallen Comrad!

May 15, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Reply
  3. Renee

This is a bullshit photo op....this picture has not been at CENTCOM for the past 3 years and was NOT there a few days ago. They only set this up because there has been so much pressure put on the government to BRING BOWE HOME!! Since late in 2009, they have barely acknowledged that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl even existed.

May 15, 2012 at 11:52 am | Reply
  4. J.D. Carlile

I'll Go! Sign Me Up! HOOAH

May 13, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Reply
  5. Davis Bradley

Rather than complain how about we put together a team of old veterans and go get this guy out. I know more or less the region he is in and with just 20 or 30 thousand dollars, we could easily buy the exact location. I have a friend who speaks Pashto and another who speaks Dari. So, what do you think? It could work! He'd be home by Christmas!

May 13, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Reply
  6. unowhoitsme

The ONLY POW...we're not stupid.

May 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  7. Jay Lee

A good, but somewhat flawed, article.

This unfortunate young man is not, IS NOT, the only American service-member who is still a POW. He is not the first nor will he be the last American service-member who is a POW. I hope and pray that he returns home someday, somehow, some way.

The thoughtful members of my peer-group (veterans of much older conflicts) frequently refer to ourselves as "Condoms".

We often laugh at the injustice and say "Oh, well we all knew we were only rubbers – very, very important when needed, peeled off and thrown away after use was necessary. Like soldiers, people would go to almost any length to obtain rubbers. And, no one wants to admit they were ever used.

Please don't think we are bitter. We are not. We carried out what we saw as an obligation. We loved, and still love, our military service. We do have a fair knowledge of history, though and we are realists.

May 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Reply
  8. Sam

Nobody can say for sure what this Soldier was doing to get captured. Bottomline is he was captured. And we as Americans should pull together for this young man and his family and hope for his return. No Soldier, Sailor, Airmen, Marine and even the Coast Guard (Yes even the Coast Guard gets deployed, but I saw it with my own 2 eyes the first time I was at KNB) wants to lose someone. We all came together, We all leave together. BOTTOM LINE....

I am an American Soldier.

I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.

May 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • unowhoitsme

Thank you.

May 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  9. Linda workman

Its been 3 years. Unfortunately hes probably dead. No matter what mistake the young man made he has probably regretted sence his capture.

May 13, 2012 at 9:11 am | Reply
  10. my thoughts

You're all wrong, this isn't about bringing a soldier home. This is about freeing an American from the clutches of the enemy.

May 13, 2012 at 7:56 am | Reply
  11. jack rave

Lt sean t you hit nail on head every non military out there shut up cuz you werent brave enough to fight for freedom so shut up and enjoy ur free ride

May 13, 2012 at 7:38 am | Reply
    • badorder

Some of us that did not serve are not cowards, We are psychically unable to serve, so don't label ALL who have not served as cowards

May 13, 2012 at 10:45 am | Reply
      • Renee

Thank you! Just because someone did not or does not serve does not mean they are lazy or getting a free ride.

May 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
  12. jack rave

jb im a vet . would like you to tell me first hand how you think and i will show you the fear we we feel every day. you up for it coward.

May 13, 2012 at 7:33 am | Reply
    • Kimberly

According to you, Jack Rave, every person in America should be a serving. You can call me a coward all you want. But my dad died for my freedom and yours too! and all you can do is call me a coward. My father's brother served. My mother's brother, a three star general, was tortured to death for the freedom of endless generations, so was my mother's father, a historian, and her mother was tortured also, but survived in front of the youngest duahgter, only 7 years old then. You can call me a coward all you want and my mother too, but she raised four girls by herself after losing all the men in her and our lives. My mother is just as much a survivor and hero as the men in our family are. You are a bitter soul, and you have a lot to work out with your bitter mind between you and God. I would thank you for your service, but you would not appreciate it from whom you consider a coward. So I wont say it to you. But I will say to all the families at home praying for their loved ones to come home safe and sound, Thank you for your bsacrifices, and God bless you too!

September 9, 2012 at 2:51 am | Reply
  13. J.D. Carlile

Exactly, SSG T! Well Said! I will Never Leave A Fallen Comrad, I will Never Except Defeat!

May 13, 2012 at 1:37 am | Reply
  14. on the fence

Yeah, a mistake indeed, J.D., but one he could ill-afford for himself and for the state of this country. Loyalty in the military doesn't entail abandonment of post. Just because he wore a uniform doesn't make him a soldier. The uniform does not make the man, the soldier makes the uniform and wears it with pride, dignity, and integrity. Perhaps God will, but Berg will bear the dishonor of his actions and hopefully, he knows God to bear it with him because if he makes it back he is gonna need more than just God.

May 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Reply
    • SSG T

I will never leave a fallen comrad....

May 13, 2012 at 12:13 am | Reply
      • Andreww

Con este comentario me rroecde9 de Francisco Otta Un gran personaje total en la historia de nuestro paeds y la opinif3n que nos entrego una ves de la Haas es + frase tan cliche9 en nuestros dedas pero que mantiene un gran sentido funcional.Con respecto a la cnn esta claro que la gente lee cada ves mas en forma diagonal

September 13, 2012 at 12:19 am |
  15. on the fence

Furthermore, Bowe was captured June of '09, almost 3 years ago! How do we really know he is still alive anyway? What solid proof is there? The Taliban are not going to serve up one man without something from us, and to top that off they have probably done him in to see the U.S. scramble for Bergdahl for kicks to gain leverage. They want prisoners; families need their sons, daughters, husbands, wives, fathers, and mothers.

May 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  16. J.D. Carlile

He Made A Mistake, He Is Still An AMERICAN SOLDIER! God Will Bring Him Home!

May 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Reply
  17. on the fence

Bergdahl volunteered to serve his country and risk his life at whatever cost defending America, his unit, and our values; thus being a matyr for what he believed in, BUT he FOLDED! He does not deserve valor for it-period. He chose to not shed frat boy and be a man-a soldier worthy of the recognition. He spat on his unit and this country for a drink, he spat on his own manhood. His fate is in his oath to this country. His fate is in the hands of the Taliban. We have more troops worthy of valor that deserve to be home.

May 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Reply
    • Lt. Sean. T

no soldier, no matter what mistake they have done deserves to be abandoned, everyone makes a mistake, every human makes a mistake, and last time i checked (as a soldier myself) soldiers are humans as well, im proud that we are still looking for him, no soldier should be left behind

May 13, 2012 at 4:18 am | Reply
    • Renee

You have no idea what really happened. I have personally read the letter from the DOD that stated PFC Bowe Bergdahl was captured through no fault of his own and that the rumors surrounding his capture were just that, rumors. Regardless of what he may or may not have done, LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND. If he has wronged his country then he needs to be brought home to face the consequences. He has received 2 promotions since being captured. I realize promotions are automatic, but if they really believed he was a "deserter" as I've heard him called, then he would not have gotten his promotions.
      "on the fence" says a lot about you......

May 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  18. J.D. Carlile

Amen!

May 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Reply
  19. JB

When someone intentionally walks away from their post to go get booze in a warzone I don't believe they should be treated with promotions or hero-like status. I served in both iraq and afghanistan with real heros.

May 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Reply
    • JZ

JB- you have got to be kidding me! What if that was your son! Everyone who puts on a uniform and serves this country is a hero! Bowe needs to be rescued and bright home. People like you make me sick! I don't know what branch of service you served in but clearly you did not learn anything about loyalty!

May 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Reply
      • xed0

I'm with him, dereliction of duty does not a hero make.

This guy should have stood up to his oppressors, but he folded like a wet rag, I hope he is rescued, but Not by a diplomat, the united states of america does not negotiate with terrorists, we make them regret ever stepping on our bad side.

May 13, 2012 at 12:05 am |
      • Renee

Thank you JZ!

May 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  20. J.D. Carlile

I Was Injured in Iraq & Afghanistan! I Was Medically Retired Due To The Injuries I Received in Combat!

May 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Reply
    • XxChR15xX

gotcha, now I'm tracking. It looked wierd at first to see an E-4 use retired...

May 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Reply
  21. XxChR15xX

I hope this guy is brought home soon, however I do have a question for J.D. Carlile. How do you retire as a Specialist? You mean to tell me you spent 15 years as an E-4?

May 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Reply
  22. Andrew

Bring him home, Mr. President!!!

May 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Reply
  23. jack rave

can not believe the division in america. we are sent there by your elected officals and you blame us just for surviving. i think every one in the white house should be fired for holding us hostage and putting americans against themselves. you call yourselves professionals? not

May 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Reply
  24. jack rave

robrob would like to see you there if you werent shut up and go back in closet with the other libreal closet dwellers. im a vet didnt see or hear any of you guys there.( imagine that.)

May 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  25. Marty

So much for not negotiating with terrorists , leave it to president Obama to give in. If they give in it will give the enemy more reason to kidnap more Americans .

May 12, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  26. kid

A

May 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  27. kid

The kid got drunk then thought it would be a great idea to wonder in the village and tell the locals how much he loved them! then taliban goons snatch em...must of sucked waking up hung over next to taliban

May 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Reply
    • Renee

Were you there? Do you know that's what happened? I know what the letter from the DOD said. I read it with my own eyes along with all correspondence from the government to his parents.

May 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  28. J.D. Carlile

I Was Over There When He Was Captured and It Was Hell There! I Think Everyone Should Reserve Their Opinions Of This American Soldier, Until He is Returned Home StateSide And Can Go Through A Mental Health Assesment! Whether He Made A Mistake Or Not He Still One Of Us! Praying For His Safe Return Home! U.S. Army SPC Jason D. Carlile (Ret)

May 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • D.C.

AMEN!

May 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Reply
    • Renee

AMEN!!

May 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  29. Draft Clinton

Morgan Jefferson Donahue, lost over Laos on Dec. 16th, 1968, I believe, wore his bracelet for years.

Credible live sighting reports coming out on him into the late 1990's.

Get the book An Enormous Crime.

May 12, 2012 at 7:30 am | Reply
  30. Hartley Services Cesspit Emptying

Thanks for another informative site. The place else may I get that kind of information written in such a perfect manner? I've a undertaking that I'm simply now running on, and I've been at the glance out for such info.

May 12, 2012 at 6:25 am | Reply
  31. Pat

Let's make a POW exchange all Taliban for him then get out of their countra sounds fair enough to me

May 12, 2012 at 6:06 am | Reply
    • Phat

Girls can now go to school in Afghanistan. If the Taliban get into power they won't be able to anymore. I'm not saying we should be in Afghanistan (whether it's right or wrong, I don't know), but this is what it means when you say it's "their [the Taliban's] country".

May 12, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
      • Bobby

And who are we to say what is right or wrong? When we have people in our own country starving and living in poverty i say we focus on our own issues rather than risking our kids' lives for an imperialist war.

May 13, 2012 at 7:07 am |
  32. The real deal

I was over there when this happened and he is a traitor and un american..he gets whats coming for him!!

May 12, 2012 at 12:33 am | Reply
    • im the real beast

You should be ashamed of yourself. For what u said. You wannabe solider. Go kick rocks

May 12, 2012 at 8:43 am | Reply
    • Cindi

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a traitor or unAmerican, He is a American National Guard Soldier. But I can say that his actions got himself where he is today. He did with his own two feet......walk off post, that is a fact. With that being said, we pay the piper for the things we do. Bergdahl made a very bad choice. Sure, his parents will say and do anything to get their son back, any parent would. Soldiers that were actually there at the same post, that do know what happened, I have noticed, never have any kind words for Bergdahl. It only makes one wonder what really did happened, there's so much more to the story. But we all do know that Bergdahl walked off post on his own two feet.

May 12, 2012 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • Name*Andrew

i can see you're angry and don't agree with the many missions we underwent in Afghanistan and abroad but to piss on a fellow soldier as you did no matter what your view of him is disgraceful. Why the hell would you think that is acceptable?

May 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  33. Steve

Stop with all of this negotiation crap and get our guy home. Enough of the BS! IT is your responsibility to get him back since you sent him over there in the first place. I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists? If he is not returned home then you have completely failed.

May 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Reply
    • Kelly

Boy, you are seriously conflicted.. First you say "Enough of the BS! IT is your responsibility to get him back since you sent him over there in the first place." Then in the very next sentence "I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists?" Do you want them to negotiate an get him back or not?

May 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Reply
      • Andy

I think what Steve meant was we have teams of people who are really good at getting into an area/compound and snatching people. This way they could get him home while not negotiating with the Taliban.

May 12, 2012 at 3:42 am |
  34. Draft Clinton

Good luck to the family.

This country still has thousands of POW's overseas, we left them from WW2 forward, into China, North Korea, Viet Nam and the Soviet Union.

READ THE BOOK CALLED "An Enormous Crime."

May 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Reply
    • GaBricklayer

I guess all the flags and shirts are wrong, they have been forgotten.

May 12, 2012 at 2:33 am | Reply
      • Draft Clinton

By the government, yes.

May 12, 2012 at 7:29 am |
      • airforcemedic

Not hardly. The U.S. Military has an entire COMMAND dedicated to bringing home MIAs. I've personally been on these missions, and am honored to serve our country, our missing service members and their families. http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/

May 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  35. Aaron

Praying for him.

May 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Reply
  36. Truefax

Plant trackers in the Gitmo prisoners and send them on their merry way... Just sayin.

May 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Reply
    • MAPS

Awesome idea nothing wrong with it ,like the way you think

May 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Reply
    • homer234

have the trackers surgically implanted into their sox organs to deter ideas of blowing themselves up!

May 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Reply
      • Charles

What are "sox organs"?

May 12, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  37. Robrob

The thoughts and prayers of a nation are with him.

May 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Reply
  38. Duffy

Why is this guy being promoted? He was the one who walked away from his post. Its not like the guy was captured in a fire fight. I am sure his parents are besides themsleves with grief over this; however the Army should not promote this guy or make him any kind of a hero. He is a deserter.

May 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Reply
    • Robrob

When you have zero idea of how something works (e.g. the military) then it's usually best not to comment.

May 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply
    • Tessica

I know for a fact you were not there when it happened and therefore you have NO idea what or how it happened. How about instead, you join them in showing their support for another American soldier who had the guts to go out and fight for the country you get to live in and have the right to do the things you are doing now.

May 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Reply
      • Mary

Go get 'em Tess.

May 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
      • homer234

yes! I served and retired 25 years active duty and 5 reserves in the Navy as a Corspman with the Marines and on boards ship. Why don't you try serving at least 4 yeras before talking crap from the side of your mouth! Slacker!

May 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
      • JB

I was in country when it happened. He went out to get booze and got captured. He doesnt deserve to be promoted and we shouldnt be trading pows for this sorry garbage.

May 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
    • Phil

All POWs get promoted after a certain amount of time, I don't think he walked off intending to be captured.

May 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
      • JB

No, he walked off to get booze, real quality soldier. Cut our losses and move on.

May 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • John Schwendler

Try dealing in facts, not un-informed personal opinions based upon no brains. You are entirely wrong.

May 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Reply
    • Charles

I agree 100%!

May 12, 2012 at 10:08 am | Reply
  39. Lomez

PLEASE you stupid morons on both sides of the political spectrum – leave your politics out of this one. This has absolutely ZERO to down with either Obama or with Bush.

May 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply