U.S.-Afghan agreement short on specifics
Afghan President Hamid Karzai shakes hands with President Obama after signing a strategic partnership agreement on May 1, 2012 at the Presidential Palace in Kabul.
May 1st, 2012

U.S.-Afghan agreement short on specifics

By Mike Mount

President Barack Obama and Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement that outlines cooperation between their countries after the withdrawal of U.S.-led international forces in 2014.

With little detail and few specifics in the document, U.S. officials say it paints a broad stroke of what the U.S.-Afghanistan relationship will look like from 2014 through 2024.

Officials said the document highlights military, diplomatic and economic relationships between the two countries without offering specifics on troops levels, economic assistance and the status of diplomatic relations.

With some 88,000 U.S. troops operating inside Afghanistan, the document does state that there will be no permanent U.S. bases in the country after the 2014 withdrawal, officials said. The agreement also allows for the possibility of U.S. troops staying in Afghanistan beyond 2014 to train and conduct counterterrorism operations to go after what a White House fact sheet described as "targeting the remnants of al Qaeda."

The U.S. and Afghanistan will begin negotiating a new Status of Forces Agreement. The United States will also designate Afghanistan a "Major Non-NATO Ally" to provide a long-term framework for security and defense cooperation," according to the White House statement.

Much of the fine detail will have to be worked out in the coming weeks and months, according to a U.S. official.

The document is the result of 20 months of negotiations between the two countries, and it sets up a commitment to prevent terrorism, support security and economic development in Afghanistan, according to U.S. officials.

Officials said the negotiations ended only a short time ago, and the goal was to sign the document at the major NATO conference next month, but signing this Tuesday, "sends a powerful message to do this on Afghan soil," according to the official.

The document is broken into six parts, according to U.S. officials who briefed reporters on some of what was in the agreement, including "protecting long-term democratic values, regional security and cooperation, social and economic development, strengthen Afghan institutions and governance and implement the agreement."

Last week, a top U.S. general who commanded NATO troops in southern Afghanistan briefed reporters on his time in the country. His view of the command he oversaw seemed to give some insight into what the U.S. involvement might look like after 2014, at least militarily.

"I think there are some areas that the Afghans will not be able to build capability over the next two years and so they are going to need our support," said Marine Maj. Gen. John A. Toolan, who just returned from commanding NATO forces in southern Afghanistan for the past year.

According to Toolan, the United States will have to focus on improving roles in intelligence, combat medicine, special operations, artillery and criminal investigation in the Afghan police forces.

"As the conventional forces leave, special operations forces will continue to be required because their (Afghan military) special operations capabilities are going to take a little bit more time to nurture and mature," according to Toolan.

The current target for the Afghan force is around 352,000 army and police. After 2014, that number is expected to dip to about 250,000, with a price of $4.1 billion a year. Discussions now are ongoing about how to pay for the upkeep. The United States doesn't want to pay the whole amount, and U.S. officials say Washington will be asking European and other International Security Assistance Force allies to pay about $1.3 billion of the bill.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Kabul • Karzai • Obama
  1. Jerry

The REAL Truth...
    Jerr – please leave me out of your diatribe with "stupidpeople". I have no need to label you a redneck nor knew you were "Latino" until you posted it above. I can handle your commentary with no need to stoop to name calling.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    The REAL Truth... YOU GOT IT. However, we need to clear up at least a couple of things: stupidpeople and I were essentially clearing up the air about certain issues. (Both of us may have gotten a little personal.) I really would not call it a diatribe. In essence, stupidpeople and I agreed to disagree; at least, I think so.

Also, allow me try and clear the air bout another item. I am not REALLY a "Latino"; I AM A PROUD PUERTO RICAN that was born on the "Island" and basically grew up on the mainland (Connecticut in particular).

Since you seem to be somewhat of a rational person, I will be most willing to exchange ideas any time. Even if we agree to disagree.

May 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Reply
    • The Truth Really...

There is no exchanging of ideas with the REAL truth. To do such a thing would require an open mind. Just look at the name

May 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

I have no issues with folks who have an objective dislike of a President – with due respect shown. I hate the haters who obviously suffer from basic lack of intellect, spout the Faax Noise regurgitated drivel about Obama, expect the mess they created to be resolved overnight, without checking FACTS. The position is basically indefensible once the name calling starts. We have a very divisive, partisan outlook for Nov. It will get ugly.
      No, I'm not a "dirty* lib, I'm a former conservative – now independent voter – who cannot stand what the GOP has become. It's everyone's fault – IOW Obama's – but their own. It amazes me that folks are too stoopid to do their own research (not Fox, Breitbart, or Limbaugh) and figure it out. Those are the same folks who – even tho' they vehemently counter it – want someone to tell them whom to vote for, where to go to church, when to turn left, or right and so on. Ger a life people. Do NOT vote the party line... neither side is better than the other. Pick the best candidate.
      That advice will fall on many deaf ears as they don't want to hear nor have the intelligence to view otherwise.

May 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

And then there's folks like Howard who's sole objective is to troll. If he actually believes what he types, he needs to go back on his meds... the cool aid ain't working. Nuf said.

May 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Reply
  2. SCOTT

DOES NOT MATTER!!! What presidents say and what they do after the elections are two different things. Nixon said he would pull out of Vietnam. 3 years after and on the eve of another election he finnally started on that. Obama will probably do the same. Mitt Romney will most likely maintain the psuedo-conservative GOP platform and stay in the war moggering for the long haul. I have been deployed to Iraq 3 times and do not want another deployment ever again. If you really care about ending the wars Ron Paul is the way out.

May 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Reply
    • Howard

Instead of governing and leading ... once again, Obama is exploiting the Presidency, our tax dollars, and even America's Foreign Policy, in a desperate attempt to get himself reelected.

May 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
      • nick

Not much of a desperate attempt when the republicans are assuring his victory in the elections,dont think he needs to waste tax payer dollars in winning when he gets so much help from the shockingly embarrassingly GOP candidates

May 6, 2012 at 2:47 am |
  3. amarjeet

Strategic agreement with Afghanistan sends the right message to terrorists & terror sponsored countries that US will hold the ground till all terrorism & threats are over.It is very good & positive pmessage & moral booster for troops too.

May 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  4. Jerry

stupidpeople, The REAL Truth..., I stick by my postings. Now, if you "guys/girls" can't or wont respect them; under no circumstances can you expect me to respect YOUR comments. We can agree to disagree; but to accept your opinions exclusively, NO WAY José!!!

Oops. I have to go put on my 'ditch digging boots". Lunch time at the ditch just ended. (Relax, just joshing "guys/girls.)

Enjoy a nice/mellow day!!!

May 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    • Howard

Obama and the media are milking this Afghanistan story, for every drop of political benefit they can. The polls are showing Obama on shaky ground, and he's desperate. Elect a President who is competent, and can save our economy, not a public relations attention hog ... who probably gave away the store, so that a corrupt Karzai would bail him out.

May 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Reply
      • The REAL Truth...

Really Howard? Yet another of your vacuous comments?

May 2, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • Jerry

stupidpeople, The REAL Truth..., One quick q., when did we Latinos become "rednecks"?! PLEASE DON"T enlighten me know as I have to get back to working on the "ditch'.

May 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Reply
      • stupidpeople

oh so your an illegal...just kidding, unless you are. Same time us disabled vets became scum that sucks off your tax dollars I guess. If you pay any that is.

May 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

May 2, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • The Truth Really...

The truth really is that you are the idiot follower you are condemning. So the fact the "dubya" was a lousy president makes Obama a good one? They both can't be terrible? Well buddy they both are! You are just following your party as blindly as the GOP's. I voted for Bush and then voted for the smooth talker. I can assure you I won't again because I, unlike you, have a TRUE independent mind.
      So stuff you pseudo intellectual babble! Perhaps you can start commenting on people's spelling and grammar!

May 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  5. HarvTy

Obama's plan is short on specifics? Pretty much all of his pie in the sky plans are.

May 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Reply
    • RocketJL

Am I to understand that Obama is agreeing to pay (anything) for Afghan military and police through 2024? I am sorry, but those folks have been ripping us off for a lot of years. I know Obama has it in his master plan to 'redistribute American wealth', but giving it to greedy foreign politicians is a big step.

May 2, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply
      • The REAL Truth...

Hey, perhaps we can re-purpose the $5B we send Israel for free every year? That should cover it.

May 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  6. Jerry

stupidpeople
    Listen you ditch digging redneck, white trash peice of crap, I work at a good job and can make up my own mind. I don't need some moron telling me to believe his lies. If I can help Seniors, the disabled, and help the poor try and get above water so be it. I have aproblem with people who would rather take 300 million from seniors and the disabled over 10 years but not make the wealthy pay 30% instead of 15% tax and the government bring in 400 billion over the next 10 years.
    Uh h! I am so scared!!! I am shaking in my "ditch digging boots". Now, now stupid-people, are you attempting to intimidate me?! I have news for you. It's NOT going to work.

Isn't it funny, actually moronic is more correct. You accused me of using Fox News' talking points. Guess what, stupid-people; YOU are using the Obama administration's exact talking points. It's Mr. Obama's way or the highway; absolutely no room or respect for dissent.

FYI. I will forever be thankful to Fox News. Fox News has been instrumental in keeping "YOUR KEEPERS" as honest as possible. And, stupid-people, believe me, that's an almost insurmountable task.

Now, if you are ever ready to discuss the issues/our differences in a sensible/mature/ non-threatening way, we can definitely communicate again.

If you actually think you can intimidate me; you are a hell of lot more "stupid-people" than I think.

May 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Reply
    • stupidpeople

your the one who started it with
      "By the way, if you are sick, you may want to "march" your sorry butt to the nearest hospital or neighborhood clinic. I would think that since you are living off the "dole", you will be readily accepted. Now, don't delay! Anyway it's "sliced", us hardworking Americans will end up paying for it."
      So when you have an intelliegent thought of your own please feel free to state it.

May 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

Jerr – Faux Noise is as right-wing as they come.. along with talk radio ! It is explicitly intended to sway folks into supporting those who would see our nation undone, and profit from the outcome.

May 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Reply
      • stupidpeople

exactly. Last night after the President speech faux news had nothing to say until the RNC gave them their talking points. The main one being Obama "spiking the footbal in the endzone"

They forget Bush said he got Saddam, apparently all by himself. At least Obama gave credit to all involved in the Bin Laden take down.

May 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  7. AaronT3

WTG President Obama.. With Afghanistan, Reagan had a chance to do the right thing, Bush 2 also had an opportunity to do the right thing and they both failed. I'm glad you are here now and working to the best of your ability doing the right thing. Folk born without the silver spoon learn very quickly it's best to do a job right the first time, obviously Reagan and Bush2 never got that memo, so America's third chance is in your very capable hands to inspire, motivate, and attract Afghanistan more toward a Democracy.

May 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  8. Jerry

stupidpeople
    stupidpeople means you and your kind, enough said, you just proved it. You people are just like faux news. They have to wait for the RNC to give them talking points, the newest being "Obama spikes the football" and you have to wait for faux news to tell you what to say. You people are like sheep being led to slaughter, you make me sick.

Normally stupidpeople means just that, jack. However, thanks for enlightening me. Wow, you are sooooo smart. I a m not sure who proved what, though. Smarty Pants, I guess I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Now, really: Enough said!!!

May 2, 2012 at 11:47 am | Reply
    • stupidpeople

May 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
  9. byebye

Oh boy, a strategic partnership. Does that mean we get to send Afghanistan more US taxpayer money even after we withdraw from the land of the Taliban and the warlords? I say no thanks.

May 2, 2012 at 11:38 am | Reply
  10. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Congress is supposed to appropriate the money for the bribes that will be paid to Karzai for pretending to be our friend. The Republicans should do what they always do, say NO, and the Democrats should, on this one issue, echo them.

May 2, 2012 at 11:32 am | Reply
  11. Jerry

stupidpeople (alias Dumb), The Real Truth... (alias Dumber), ha! Got you guys going!

I am guessing that with the exception of a few Mr. Obama spiked Kool Aid guzzlers; most of the posters on this blog (so far) are SEEING the "LIGHT." NOW, THAT IS REALLY MOVING FORWARD!!!

Yeah... See ya!!!

May 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • stupidpeople

May 2, 2012 at 11:31 am | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

Jerr – didn't get anything from me. I'm not one of the knuckle-draggin' mouth-openers living in red states that need someone to tell them how to think, whom to vote for and where/when to go to church. Unlike you, I CAN and DO think for myself, and I RESEARCH the FACTS – unlike you who need to open mouth/remove foot. I could care less that you right wing nut(s) dislike Obama. What I care about is the morons who buy [wholesale] into the Grand Obstructionist Party speel being broadcast by Faux Noise about the root cause of the problems.
      They are NOT created by Obama. He is attempting to fix them by putting his proverbial finger in the hole in the dyke. Obama's only mistake has been to believe that the do-nothing GOP would actually work toward betterment of the country (not putting party first). We've seen how well that has worked, with McConnell/Boehner's goal to ensure he's a 1-term president, red state lawsuits resulting in ACA (which is 99% based on the GOP healthplan BTW – minor details) being reviewed by the SCOTUS, and a completely UNACCEPTABLE (because that wonderful 20% across the board tax cut is unfunded) Ryan budget that have a $1.4T DEFICIT.
      I'm perfectly happy to discuss alternative approaches to the current administration, but please... SURPRISE ME and retort with something of substance and not the usual regurgitated Faux Noise spoutrage. Do you think you can muster up some facts to be able to do that?

May 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  12. mikrik13

Politicians are always "short on specifics". Because they don't have any specifics.

May 2, 2012 at 11:11 am | Reply
  13. Jerry

People of America, don't worry too much. Mr. Obama's deals ARE ALWAYS short on specifics. That is exactly how an Imperial Presidency is supposed to function. The he__ with congress and the American people.

What really bothered me most was the constant I, I, I, I. Where were the service men and women that actually carried out the Bin Laden mission while Mr. Obama was comfortably sitting on his duff with his adoring underlings.

Also, if this president really cares so much about the American economy, why didn't he do this political pitch form the White House or some other venue?!

Why spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for a political "show and tell"?! Is that too much to ask from your clueless/divisive president?! Just asking...

May 2, 2012 at 10:19 am | Reply
    • stupidpeople

Just ask George Bush, he was the master of hidden deals and running his mouth without saying anything. he still needs to be tried for treason along with Cheney the man who is in his 70 and can steal a heart from someone younger who needs it. They both should spend the rest of their miserable live's in prison.

May 2, 2012 at 10:59 am | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

Well Jerr.. since you asked. Where was Dubya the last 2 yrs of his horrendous Presidency.. you remember, the 8 yrs that left us with
      – 2 unfunded wars;
      – 6,000+ US troops dead;
      – hundreds of 1,000's of dead civilian "collateral";
      – a $1.3T deficit for 2008
      – $4 gasoline
      – an $850+B bailout for banks too big too fail....
      – I could go on...
      but. oh.. that's right, that's all Obama's (I forgot). Dubya was too busy hiding out in his Crawford, TX ranch to go visit ANYWHERE the last 2 yrs of his administration.
      At least Obama was there.. regardless of your distorted viewpoint.

May 2, 2012 at 11:01 am | Reply
      • AaronT3

No fair using the truth when talking with Republicans. . lol

May 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
      • The REAL Truth...

yeah true.. the right wing has no issues with their revisionist amnesiac version of history. It's incredibly short on facts and truth. But hey, none so blind as those that refuse to see..

May 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  14. RUSH LIMBAUGH WILL DIE ON A NATIONAL HOLIDAY

Literally!

May 2, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply
  15. stupidpeople

As for Romney saying that Obama shouldn't use Bin Ladin for political purpose's, why was it alright for Bush to use Saddam Hussein? Give me a break these people make me sick.

May 2, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply
  16. Brooklyn

they need the uranium they need the minerals they need all the stuff they could get, havnt you heard Afghanistan is a mine of gold for the USA jp morgan is even there braking through mountains for minerals. why wouldnt america pay billions when they are taking out trillions from Afghanistans unused minerals. its going to get ugly..... this is the start....

May 2, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply
    • byebye

Please provide specifics about the minerals and locations of them in Afghanistan and the entities that will be (allegedly) extracting these materials. Thanks.

May 2, 2012 at 11:40 am | Reply
  17. stupidpeople

Those people don't want us there as it is, lets leave now and screw them all.

May 2, 2012 at 9:21 am | Reply
  18. voteforamerica

Obama and the Washington political establishment is corrupt to the core, Obama, Bush and Clinton will be remember by the American people, as the worse government experience, they are the ones responsible for the demise of the US and the world economy. This expending frenzy will result in the collapse of the Dollar and a super inflation that will made millions of Americans economy slaves. Obama and any one that fail to tell the American people the truth will be accountable for what is coming. " The revolution that will kill millions that do not have any thing to do with this mess".
    Fellow Americans do not destroy the infrastructure of this country, go after the traitors that are responsible for this catastrophe, do it alone do not trust any one, the FBI and The CIA will label you domestic terrorist, but God knows that you are a patriot defending our country from being destroy by the Washington culture of corruption.

May 2, 2012 at 9:07 am | Reply
    • stupidpeople

How did you get Clinton in there? If Bush hadn't taken the money that would have been saved over the next decade after Clinton and given to his rich buddies and started 2 wars, only 1 justified, we would not be in this situation. As for Obama, if the Republicans would work with him and stop fighting everything he is trying to do things might be better. It took Bush 8 years to make this mess it will take more then 3 years to get us out.

May 2, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply
    • Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The traitors who are destroying America are the republicans and their teacups! The republicans gave us two deadly and costly wars, wrecked our economy and then turned around and gave huge tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires! Then when President Obama got into office and tried to implement legislation to help the middle class and the poor stay afloat of the economic crisis, the right sarcastically accused the President of wasteful spending and inflating the national deficit! Hypocrisy! And by the way, say what you want about President Clinton but at least when he left office, we were enjoying a surplus and a stable and thriving America! But when your mesiah war criminal tyrant was appointed by the conservative five on the supreme court, he f-up everything! Worthless incompetent republicans!

May 2, 2012 at 9:34 am | Reply
      • sgraves1984

you do know the current president supported both wars right?

May 2, 2012 at 11:37 am |
      • stupidpeople

sgraves, you do know that Obama wasn't even a Senater when the country was fed lies to invade Iraq don't you.

May 2, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  19. superlogi

Without the specifics, it's impossible to break any promises. Good strategy and typical of the Obamanation.

May 2, 2012 at 8:24 am | Reply
  20. michaelfury

“Sounding presidential, Senator Barack Obama said Wednesday he would order a surge of U.S. troops – perhaps 15,000 or more – to Afghanistan as soon as he reached the White House.

‘The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 are still at large and plotting,’ he said, echoing Mr. Bush’s oft-repeated refrain.”

May 2, 2012 at 8:18 am | Reply
  21. setnommarih

Just another campaign stop in one of our 57 states. You would think he didn't know he was elected in 2008 since he hasn't stopped campaigning yet, very tired of him, his face, his BS, his divisiveness, basically everything.

May 2, 2012 at 7:56 am | Reply
    • Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Then if you're tired of our President, save yourself the stress and frustration! There's a remedy to envy and jealousy! Kool-Aid! Now go tell all your redneck friends! Confederate moron!

May 2, 2012 at 9:22 am | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

It's an election year dummy! What do you expect?? Have him sit in the WH and do nothing? Of course that is what the Repugs would like so they won't have to work quite so hard, or spend so much and still lose in Nov.

May 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Reply
  22. Sharon

Love todays other headlines on this touting president 'SNEAKING' into Afghanistan. Isn't that a modern day picture of a leader- sending others into the field of battle and when it looks clear....'sneaking' in to speak to them. Yes, today our leaders sneak around in the back where once they were first in battle 'leading' their men. Talk about the .0000002% of the population riding on the backs of then 99.9999998% of the rest of us. LOL Yes...they all do it- does that make it admirable? :)

May 2, 2012 at 7:55 am | Reply
  23. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

This war should have been concluded at least five years ago with Afghanistan on the road to stability and alot of American, NATO and Afghan lives spared. But sadly, when you have irresponsible, il-conceived and unqualified leaders like GWB, Dick Cheyney and Donald Rumsfeld in charge, you end up with decade long war with wasted lives and money! Here we have an ungoing Afghan war a decade later simply because the rightwing establishment DELIBERATELY and RECKLESSLY ABANDONED and PROLONGED the Afghan war to start their illegitimate Iraqi war! Now the end result is us having to pick up the tab for two wars that is now exceding 4.8 trillion dollars! At the end of the Afghan war, the estimated cost of both wars is projected to be around six trillion dollars, yet I find it ironic that the republicans in congress have no shame in accusing President Obama of inflating the national deficit, when the President is left with the task of cleaning up their mess, having to bail out our wrecked economy! But the saddest thing about it all is that the American people continue to risk and jeopardize their future and the future of their children by continuing to support these very same politicians who are disinterested in their well being! America its time to wake up!

May 2, 2012 at 7:14 am | Reply
    • Sadie Boyd

amen

May 2, 2012 at 7:52 am | Reply
    • William R. Hill

Great comment! Between criminal conduct in the financial community and the stupidity of meddling in the Middle East, it's a miracle that we haven't had worse than a prolonged recession. Why do political leaders continue to think we can have both guns and butter? Keep our money at home, get the job done and stop playing around with pet idealogies that have nothing to do with the best interests of the people.

May 2, 2012 at 8:35 am | Reply
  24. Rare Earth Minerals

It's all about the Rare Earth Minerals, stupid. None of the material things you possess could be manufactured without them.

china's got all of Africa's lode.

china's got most of South America's lode.

The Western World's got their sights on Afghanistan's lode.

May 2, 2012 at 1:49 am | Reply
  25. Dominick

"A Major non-nato ally to provide a long term framework for security and defense." What a bunch of double-talk. This means that we have just taken on an open ended commitment. We are their guarantee and will come running every time they can't cover their assets. Our troops aren't going anywhere fast. Politicians....no matter what the party it is always the same old double talkdown to us. How stupid do they think we are....seems that they have no regard at all.

May 2, 2012 at 1:20 am | Reply
  26. bill

Short on specifics?That reminds me, when I hear the word "jobs" I want to grab whomever I hear say it by the lapels and scream "WHAT jobs"? McDonald's is always hiring so start qualifying the word "jobs". I see little thought balloons above their heads and Karzai is thinking "You are just another stupid American." And Oblahblah is thinking "He is sooooo cute in that hat!! I want a kiss.....!"

May 2, 2012 at 12:53 am | Reply
  27. Toadstool

"Short on specifics" = "We don't agree on much of anything"
    But we'd like to... we really really would. So until the USA sends Billions to this country every year forever.
    This is exhibit A to a failing foreign policy. O'Bama is incompetent.

May 2, 2012 at 12:47 am | Reply
  28. If CNN can't see through Obama transparency

then James Carville's dementia must be at end-stage.

Time for a new propaganda-spinner, CNN. Try one of those new s/w Journalism-bots, to gen something Dem-friendly, for you.

May 2, 2012 at 12:04 am | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

Apprently you ARE having difficulty. If it's so transparent what's your problem, other than trolling.,

May 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Reply
  29. helenecha

If U.S.-Afghan agreement were a check, Obama might think the pen is in his pocket rather than on the ground.

May 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Reply
  30. ILikeRush

Nothing new here. Transparency is invisible here.

May 1, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Reply
  31. The Independent

anyway.. Blah.. Blah.. Blah.. goes the Commander-In-Comedy.
    OBAMA the first US President wearing and in need of a Diaper
    to address his own Troops.

May 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Reply
  32. Ed

Does this agreement have the part where we tell Karzai he's been in charge there for ten years and it's time he gets his act together with an army that will fight and local officials that work for the best interests of the local people.

May 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Reply
  33. TexMan

Specifics .... lol

The US will send them a plane load of deficit money .... they will distribute it to the Afghanistan 1%'s ... more and more US troops will die while the Afghan "LEADERSHIP" condemns but tolerates drone attacks ....... it is a no brainer

May 1, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  34. Sirned

I would much rather see where Paul Ryan plans to cut from the middle class and poor to give 4.5 trillion to the rich...He hasn't said yet....

May 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  35. Freedom

You all are like inept and have no clue about the world and the constant power struggles. #1 you can't just pull out of Afghanistan by the push of a button smh, logistically it takes sooooo much planning including contingencies. #2 if you armchair quarterbacks tried to pull out the troops who you all love so dear and fear for their safety would tell you to jump off a cliff. In order to leave SAFELY it takes time. #3 the reason why we're establishing a presence their over a course of the next decade is to make sure that country doesn't fall prey to Syrian, Pakistani, Libyan, Czech etc terrorists. If that happened , geographically the next Al Qaeda which is called LeT would push its influence over the region like they have in Pakistan. They make Al Qaeda look like childs play and are based in a country that has a nuclear arsenal. Do some research before you comment and act like this situation is a Microwave and you can just quick make decisions and expect efficient safe results.

May 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Reply
    • Essau

Yes don't take Israels back up army out of mid east.

We need to secure more if the land promised to us by Torah.

Aid in this. For what the Nazis did to us.

May 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Reply
      • Fifh

Huh? and stupid, to boot.

May 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
    • derykhouston

Obama has secured the pipeline right of way. This was his first priority and he got it.
      Funny how that does not make the news.
      Soldiers died securing this most important issue. That was why America was there.

May 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  36. (See) DOWNLOAD MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE PLEASE NOTE: U MUST BE 18

Egyptian military at it again

May 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Reply
  37. None

Same old political games, just a different day. We should get out now, but this isn't going to be. Vote them all out now, while we still have a country!

May 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  38. James Scranton

We shouldn't commit our troops for that long they are battle fatigued as it is now any longer they are going to start dying off!! I don't think Obama really cares about our troops he wouldn't have commited for that long we should get out now. Cngress and the senators should pull the purse strings closed on the war and not fun it anymore!!!

May 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Reply
    • Howard

AFGHANISTAN IS JUST ANOTHER CAMPAIGN STOP FOR OBAMA ... and, since neither Obama, or Karzai can be trusted, this so called last minute victory, after running America into the ground for the past 3 1/2 years, will probably fall apart, right after the November election.

May 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Reply
      • The REAL Truth...

Since you seem to be short on trust for your President (no surprise there coming from a neocon), exactly WHOM do you trust? Mittens? And what do you trust him to do? Please share...

May 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  39. frank

This agreement was never intended to list details-it is amazing how many strategic experts are posting here! The meeting of NATO forces in Chicago in a few weeks will generate much more specifics. Calm down and stop blaming everything on one man-that is so ridiculous as to be stupid.

May 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  40. Sharon

To be honest, I have seen this mans picture and heard so many speeches by him over the last four years I find it hard to read, listen or watch anything concerning him. He overexposed himself so much he should be rated XXX. I try and keep an open do my research but ...four ore years....a nightmare if you ask me. So, I only respond to headlines- not much substance in the body anyway. Just a blaoted belly waiting to expel its contents for a vote.

May 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Reply
    • frank

Your short attention span bespeaks a shallow intellect. Go for it. In a democracy we get the government we deserve, so hopefully the one you deserve will not prevail.

May 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Reply
    • ram

He has been trying to emulate mlk.

May 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Reply
    • setnommarih

I second that emotion.

May 2, 2012 at 7:52 am | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

@Sharon – what alternative would you propose? Vote in the Grand Obstructionist Party in Nov and return to the VERY SAME policies that got us into this mess in the first place. I hope not. That is NOT the solution. Speak up Sharon.. share some of your views.. Isn't that what this is about?

May 2, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  41. Alexmass

SO much for Obama keeping his word, If i become President Ill have our men out of both wars. He';ll be out of office 2 years before we are out now. lol

May 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
    • frank

He never said any such thing. We are out of Iraq, which we invaded under false pretenses. If you listened to the President's speech, you might understand that we will be out as to combat before the end of 2014, just a bit into his second term.

May 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Reply
      • john

yes very nice but all those support soliders, will now be in afghan with no combat support for 10 more years. where the some of the afghan soliders are shooting are soliders. great plan and that means only 1/3 of are troops are leaving becuase it takes 2 to support 1 combat solider.

May 2, 2012 at 2:37 am |
  42. rob

Like every other policy he is inept and socially myopic. He would relish in our ruin to see his vision rise to power. Fitting to his abuse of power I should expect a tax audit. Thats ok, I am ready for his myopic view of the world

May 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • frank

And you can do a better job? Give us a break.

May 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
    • The REAL Truth...

Wow Rob.. intelligent, well thought out total puke! Inept, incompetent and socially myopic are terms used to describe his predecessor. Ya know.. the one who was unable to enunciate pretty much anything with more than syllables. Anyone spring to mind?

May 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  43. Bud

How much is this going to cost the US. This idiot wanted 2 billion a year. Why do I get the feeling he is going to get it.

May 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  44. Mina

West-totally agree. just like obamacare no details on how funded and policed and by who. obama's had 4yrs to do this, choosing to do in election year is the only thing transparent during his tenure – totally a campaign ploy.

May 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Reply
    • kellia

agreed, I hope it backfires on his campaign!

May 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Reply
  45. Sharon

Specifics...details...what are they anyway. The forest doesn't need trees. LOL- who wants anything in writing one may have to answer for in the future. I, on the otherhand have a broad agreement with China that there will be international commerce.

May 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  46. west

Like everything Obams does no details just headlines- but hey it is election year and he needs all the grandstanding headlines he can get – to bad there is no substance to him or his "accomplishments" although the media will hype them liek they were major good instead of just soso if that

May 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Reply