April 1st, 2012

Rep. Ryan apologizes for comment about generals

By Ashley Killough

House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan said Sunday he misspoke earlier in the week when he accused military officials of not being honest about the Pentagon budget.

“I really misspoke,” Ryan said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I didn’t mean to make that kind of an impression. So, I was clumsy in how I was describing the point I was trying to make.”

On Thursday, the Wisconsin congressman said senior military leaders had been misleading when they defended a decrease in Pentagon spending proposals. He argued that the generals were not “giving us their true advice” and accused them of toeing an administration line.

"I think there is a lot of budget smoke and mirrors in the (administration's) Pentagon budget, which is not really a true, honest and accurate budget. When you confront military experts – retired or active – they concede these things to us," Ryan said.

Read more about the military's response on CNN's Political Ticker.

Filed under: 2012 Election • Budget • Dempsey • Military • Pentagon • Politics • Republican
  1. Personal Training Long Island

Ryan you are a very smart man! Don't ever apologize about something that is true. The way it was handle was wrong. This is the perfect case of a yes man.These general's are all Obama puppets. There is only one reason why they made these cuts, Obama Care.

January 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  2. ErboristeriaCosmetica bio

Valuable information. Fortunate me I found your web site by accident, and I am shocked why this twist of fate did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

April 30, 2012 at 5:30 am | Reply
  3. FabGifts4U

Blog comment is a good think for a time pass .there are many comments and ideas.

Personalised Gift Ideas

April 5, 2012 at 6:45 am | Reply
  4. Capt. Obvious

Holy shit, a republican apologized? Wow, going to go outside to check on the sky now....

April 2, 2012 at 11:45 am | Reply
  5. Tommie Toga

Ryan another useless Tea Party fool just trying to look worthy to the pigs in the party.

April 2, 2012 at 9:50 am | Reply
  6. jack

When you accuse people of lying, can you later just say that you misspoke and move on? Don't you have to explain who the liar is?. You or the generals.

April 2, 2012 at 5:36 am | Reply
  7. helenecha

If the Pentagon $500 billion cut were a goal, the money might be omnipotent. Because, the Pentagon seems to have its job done well whatever Obama budget offered.

April 2, 2012 at 4:46 am | Reply
  8. Hahahahahaha

He should apologize for being......well.........an idiot. Hahahahahahaha

April 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  9. Cheese Wonton

I you look carefully at where the military budget is reduced, what programs cancelled, and where the money is going, you can see the emphasis is changing from land warfare in third world countries to preparation for possible confrontation with China. The 20120 and 2013 budgets fund air and naval power in the Pacific. It is a deliberate strategic choice, and an expensive one, but there is little in the way of a public statement because to publicly identify China as the nation's primary military threat with specific spending programs identified to deter or if necessary defeat the Chinese, would be explosively inflammatory. The Chinese read our budget and can put two and two together. We do not need a public statement to make our point.

April 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Reply
    • YouBetcha

Hell no, WE KEEP IT TO OURSELVES. Paul Ryan made a general staement – YOU just clarified it to perfection and handed it to them on a plate !!!!!!!!

Personally I think Ryan was referring to the dishonesty of the military budget under Bush / Cheney, when they kept such lousy records that they "lost" $60 Billion, and successive economic experts STILL haven't found it.

But I'm sure China appreciate your lack of integrity and disloyalty to your country!

April 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Reply
    • Capt. Obvious

Well, if you look at it, both North Korea and Iran would require more emphasis on Sea and Air operations. So yes, while we could hold benefits from investing more in these branches, i think there are also more immediate benefits to having more planes and ships fitted for fighting

April 2, 2012 at 11:48 am | Reply
  10. See DOWNLOAD MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE PLEASE NOTE: U MUST BE 18

apology acpted the swags continue, life must go on.

April 1, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  11. lib from TN

You dumb ass!!!! It shows you are with the powerful elite, the ones that profit from selling war materiel. How else can you defend your position when the military itself agrees with spending cuts?

We are BROKE!!!! You yourself have said that, so how do you intend to fix it if you keep on spending tons of money on something (miliatry) that will not help the economy???? Main reason China is building a better army is because their economy is booming, not because their military is strong. How many wars, how many lives will it take for you dumb-ass repulicans to get it?????>

April 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Reply
    • David

Cheers sir, but its not just the republicans by any means.

Look towards aipac. Israel is playing us like a fiddle.

April 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Reply
      • Ahamed

I heard it on radio and called hubby who was blsisfully sleeping to turn on the TV. He saw the scene, thinking it was some freak accident by a private jet, went back to sleep!!!I had to call him three more times before he actually comprehended the whole scenario. I reached office, people were in a frenzy. People I had never spoken to expressed concern in the parking lot. We rushed to the office to catch a glimpse on TV. It was shocking to say the least.My first thought went to my friends who worked in the WTC. One guy narrowly escaped (jumped from the ground floor window and ran for his life), while my other friend's laziness saved her. She was late to work. Even now she cries thinking of that day when she lost many of her colleagues.My uncle and aunt who were sight seeing in Washington DC saw the flight crash in the Pentagon when they were taking a tour of the Whitehouse. Uncle took pictures!!My whole day went by trying to call my friends in NY & DC. It was terrible.

May 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Cheese Wonton

We are far from broke. Federal revenues as a proportion of GDP are at a post WWII low. There is lots of money in this country to defend ourselves and to fund infrastructure, education and health care. We make deliberate policy choices to de-fund government, then cry that we are broke, when in fact we are from from it.

April 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Reply
      • YouBetcha

Why was your national deficit figure for February the HIGHEST yet? You owe the rest of the world $4 8 Trillion; you have government spending at $1.60 for every $1 of income and you say you're not broke?

Such optimism borders on insanity!

April 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm |