April 1st, 2012

Clinton criticizes Romney's remarks on Russia

By Ashley Killough

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton hit back Sunday against Mitt Romney's comments this week that Russia is America's main "geopolitical foe."

Labeling Romney's words as "dated, "Clinton said in an interview with CNN there were more pressing matters of concern in global affairs.

"I think it's somewhat dated to be looking backwards instead of being realistic about where we agree, where we don't agree, "Clinton told CNN foreign affairs correspondent Jill Dougherty.

On Monday, Romney set off a firestorm of criticism when he described Russia as the country's primary enemy.

"In terms of a geopolitical foe, a nation that's on the Security Council, and as of course a massive nuclear power, Russia is the geopolitical foe," Romney said on CNN's "The Situation Room."

Romney's rivals, Republicans and Democrats alike, immediately jumped on his remarks and used them as an opportunity to paint the candidate as out of touch on foreign policy issues.

Russia's president, Dmitry Medvedev, also faulted Romney for the comment, saying it was "reminiscent of Hollywood."

While in Turkey for a conference on Sunday, Clinton held back from diving too heavily into politics but argued Russia no longer posed the threat it did in the 20th century.

"If you take a look at the world today, we have a lot of problems that are not leftovers from the past, but are of the moment, "Clinton said, pointing to Iran and its suspected nuclear development program as an example. "In many of the areas where we are working to solve problems, Russia has been an ally."

Echoing those sentiments, Vice President Joe Biden also weighed in Sunday on Romney's comments.

"Romney acts like he thinks the Cold War's still on,Russiais still our major adversary.  I don't know where he's been," Biden said on the CBS program "Face the Nation."

The vice president pointed to Russia's cooperation in transmitting material to troops in Afghanistan, as well as its participation in sanctions against Iran.

"This is not 1956," he added.

Responding to the barrage of attacks over his comments, Romney's campaign put out a statement earlier in the week defending the candidate's position on Russia.

"In contrast to President Obama, Governor Romney is clear-eyed about the geopolitical challenges Russia poses," Romney policy director Lanhee Chen said in a statement. "Russia's nuclear arsenal, its energy resources, its geographic position astride Europe and Asia, the veto it wields on the UN Security Council, and the creeping authoritarianism of its government make Russiaa unique geopolitical problem that frustrates progress on numerous issues of vital concern to the United States."

– CNN's Gabriella Schwarz contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: 2012 Election • Biden • Hillary Clinton • Romney • Russia
  1. Elly

I think she has a good shot of being in the top 3 in Iowa. However, that's not going to be the key. Everyone expects her to do well there. Let's see how well her megsase resonates in the south, particularly South Carolina and Florida. Good showings there and she has a real chance.Dump Um Out

October 13, 2012 at 12:56 am | Reply
  2. lotsnomovom

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles

July 18, 2012 at 7:45 am | Reply
  3. batik|trusmi|cirebon|batik|pusat|kerajinan|terlengkap|spesial|terlaris|terbaru|kain|hem|kemeja|bahan|ebatiktrusmi|grosir| terlengkap

I cherished up to you will obtain carried out proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an impatience over that you would like be handing over the following. sick definitely come more in the past again since exactly the same nearly a lot incessantly inside of case you protect this increase.

April 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Reply
  4. TomGI

As others have said on this thread, it's just Romney trying to re-kindle that Russian bogeyman ideology, generate fear. He's a couple decades behind.

April 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Reply
    • mirt

Could you elaborate?

March 3, 2014 at 4:47 am | Reply
  5. #2

Is it just me, or does it sound like he watched Canadian Bacon the night before spewing this ridiculous opinion?

April 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  6. ChuckB

At least in this case he is only erasing 20 years of history. When it comes to social issues such as Social Security, he wants to roll the clock back 80 years.

April 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Reply
    • Leopold

Tell all that to the Israelis who are now facing Iran which is backed by Russia and the Syrian people who are dying in the streets asking for democracy, being butchered by a regime supported by Russia.

April 2, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  7. ART

So they still cannot admit that he screwed up when he made that comment instead they doubble down on the false hoods, how embarrassing and ignorant. The only retarded one here is Johny and thats a fac(true Dat)

April 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Reply
    • mirt

Nice rebuttal

March 3, 2014 at 4:48 am | Reply
  8. Nick-o

What do republicnas do when they are totally wrong on an issue?......double down, baby! So very typical. He's a perfect for them.

April 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Reply
    • mirt

So funny to look through old comments.

March 3, 2014 at 4:51 am | Reply
  9. USA is not the World's Principal office

LOL at Mitt Romney and all the other GOPtards, ensuring Obama runs again.

I wish Obama would be voted out because I'm not happy with him but all the GOP candidates are just flat out wacko. Mitt is stuck in the 80s, Santorum hates women, Ron Paul is stuck with two first names.

April 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  10. Ginette/Mexico

Bet Romney can also see the place from his front porch.

April 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  11. nitrous

Watch out for the great big scary Bear, Mitt! And this is the best the GOP can do?

April 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Reply
  12. Martin

Given Vladimir Putin's recent rhetoric, I wouldn't be surprised to see Russia attempting to regain the military greatness of old and becoming the "geopolitical foe" that they were before.

Right now though, Sec State Clinton is correct, they are hardly a geopolitical foe of the USA. That title pretty much belongs to China and Iran at this time.

April 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Reply
    • JimfromBham

Martin

There is a substrata of similarity between Russia and Iran on the issue of "past greatness". The Russians have this grandiose notion of regaining the "glory of the Czars", and the Iranians talk about the "glory of Persia". In the Russians/Putin, it equates to "treat us like a superpower as we once were". As for the Iranians? They at least want to be relevant to their region, and find it difficult to have the US in the Persian Gulf, passing through the Straits of Hormuz, etc. The Rusians have enough clout to make their argument without actual confrontation, but the Iranians need to throw temper tantrums to get our attention.

April 2, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Reply
      • ChuckB

We, on the other hand, only want to regain the glory that was Ike. Britain is getting geared up to spank the Argentineans again. France is salivating at recreating its North African empire. Every has been nation pines for its days of exceptionalism.

April 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
      • JimfromBham

ChuckB

I like Ike!

April 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm |
    • Leopold

And who supports Iran?

April 2, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  13. SpotOn

I guess it makes sense. If Romney wants to bring America back to the Dark Ages socially and economically then what's the big deal if he wants to turn the geopolitical clock back only 60 years.

April 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Reply
    • Gerwin

To be honest, I think that’s the sesmtrat choice for McCain You're out of your mind. Willard brings virtually nothing to the table. Hilarious that you would want to take all the shortcomings that failed to get Willard anywhere close to the GOP nomination despite an $80 million bankroll .and bring those shortcomings to a general election ticket. McCain needs someone who is young, appeals to conservatives, and can speak convincingly on the economy. Uh, Jay, Willard is 60, came in fourth place in the most conservative state's primary, and presided over the lowest-growth economy of all 50 states when Massachusetts Gov from 2003-2006. What Romney really delivers is some straight talk on the economy Promising a $40 billion federal bailout of Michigan in order to prolong his Presidential candidacy a few more weeks is straight talk ?Republicans would be best advised to do what they do best .be Republicans and divide Americans based on religion and culture. Either Obama and Hillary would be easy targets. The last thing McCain needs to do is adopt an economic policy that is exactly the same as the economic policy of George Bush which about 20% of Americans approve. I don’t know if the McCain camp is serious considering Romney as a VP or not, but on a number of levels that may be one of his best choices to unite conservatives and to give him some much-needed economic credibility.McCain (along with every other Republican candidate from 2008) hated Willard so much that they exchanged e-mails amongst each other to advise on how to hit him in the next debate. Very hard to imagine how that gut-level acrimony can be overcome for a negligible benefit to the ticket. Rather than uniting conservatives, a Willard selection would tear them further apart, with the values voters foot soldiers who hate Mormons realizing just how badly the Wall Street Journal/Jay Reding crowd takes them for granted.

October 10, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply
  14. lol

Russia? Has Romney been playing too much Call of Duty?

Why do conservatives and republicans miss the cold war SO MUCH? Was it that fun? Practicing nuke drills and diving under your desk as if that will some how protect you from getting vaporized?

Comedy factor.... id say about 8 maybe 9.

April 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • mirt

Any retractions?

March 3, 2014 at 4:53 am | Reply
  15. christine

Are you kidding me? Russia? lol. I can't wait for the presidential debates. Obama is going to wipe the floor with whichever GOP'er he is up against.

April 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
    • Parker

He most certainly is. I'm not an avid supporter of the Obama administration, but I honestly believe he is the best choice of the three candidates left in the race.

April 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Reply
    • Me

Hard to argue with that. What does the GOP know, that we don't? They selected only the nuttiest of crackpots to run this time, obviously never intending to win.

April 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  16. Cambride Ray

The Republicans really, really, really miss the Cold War. Take GWB for instance: his National Security Advisor was Condy Rice. She is an expert in Russia and completely ignored all the warnings about Al Qaeda left by the Clinton Administration. We all know what happened.

April 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • JMM

Exactly. That is why on 9-11-2001 Condi was at Johns Hopkins giving a policy speak based around Bush's plans to advance a "star wars" missile defense system. That was likely the same day that GWB learned about this terror group called Al Qaeda. Totally clueless and asleep at the wheel! And this is just after Clint lobbed a few tomahawks into Afghanistan trying to take out Bin laden. Even better, the GOP was outraged that Clinton attacked in that manner. Again, totally clueless as to what is in America's best interests.

April 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  17. Me

(chuckles) Will there be any sane Republicans to run in 2016?

April 2, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Reply
  18. Cambride Ray

Let's keep in mind that Romney is after the votes of folks who are trying to decide between JFK and Ike.

April 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Reply
    • Cambride Ray

Yes, I am aware that JFK and Ike never faced each other. That's my point.

April 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  19. LH20

In terms of a geopolitical foe, a nation that's on the Security Council, and as of course a massive nuclear power, Russia is the geopolitical foe"

So are the UK and France also our enemies as nuclear powers on the Security Council? Shhsh, what dumb criteria to justify his remarks.

April 2, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Reply
  20. Cambride Ray

The GDP of Russia is smaller than Brazil's, Italy's and Canada.

April 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Reply
    • Cambride Ray

Russia's GDP is slightly above than that of Spain, Australia or Mexico.

April 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  21. ES

>Russia's nuclear arsenal, its energy resources, its geographic position astride Europe and Asia, the veto it wields on the UN Security Council

-----

It seems US cannot tolerate a strong country that is not subservent to it.
    Russia has a lot of resources and while it doesn't do anything against the US, and even helps where it makes sense for them, it is still not enough because they are independent and are not subservent to the US like the Western Europe.
    That is the bottom line. US wants to be the only superpower in the world. And if anyone has a potential to challenge that status in the future, they become an enemy.

April 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • reformed republicant

You are making the obvious mistake of assuming Romney speaks for all of the United States. He does not. I do not either, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of Americans absolutely do NOT worry about any made-up threat posed by Russia.

April 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Reply
  22. justicefor7

URGENT – Please read more about VERIZON. Things they don't want the public to know! I was tormented by racial comments that were ignored, then racially discriminated against and wrongfully terminated for making complaints about the racial injustice.

Please visit my Blog Page to see what Verizon did to my family. What they have done to my family, and continue to do is horrific. Today they still will not accept responsibility. So I will not stop this FIGHT for JUSTICE! It has been 8 years and I refuse to give up!

You can read my stories about what VERIZON did to my family by GOOGLING:
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Cover Letter”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Press Release”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Requesting Criminal Punishment”

From there you can access the other letters through the recent post.

I am a man who has stood up against racism, discrimination, bullying, harassment, hostile environment, belittlement, threats, and retaliation, all while working for Verizon Communications, as they conspired to terminate me.

I am a man who is trying to hold his family together while in the process of trying to fight for my rights to be heard. I am a man who has brought up his family on morals, discipline, character, hard work, dedication and conviction to believe that good things happen to good people. I am a man who could not be more proud of my family for all their trust and faith in my conviction. I am man who is a proud servant in my community and deserves to be heard, as I am begging for JUSTICE!

I have learned that: “If you have no Money, A lot of Power, unlimited amount of Connection and resources, you have no chance at receiving justice within our country!

Even though I know this to be true, that justice of only for the few, I refuse to allow Verizon to beat me! I will fight them until I die. I will never give up, I will let the world know of the abuse I suffered and the lack of justice I have received.

Neal W. Dias

April 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • Cambride Ray

SPAM

April 2, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  23. Willie12345

Both Chilton and Obama have been fooled by the Russians. No surprises here.

April 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Reply
    • Thomas

Wow, great spelling. Welcome to the real world, where its 2012, not 1965 lol

April 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • bezier

what a ridiculous comment.

April 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Reply
    • Me

Bull! I've been using Chilton manuals to repair my own cars for years. You are a nut!

April 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  24. stormerF

Seems she took the words right form the Russian Presidents mouth after he said the same thing. Comrade Clinton?

April 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Reply
    • Rod

No, but at least someone who doesn't border on paranoid insane. Actually, I'd love to see Hillary be President in 2016. She has the intelligence, the wisdom, the experience, the forward-thinking. She'd be great.

April 2, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  25. LMD

As someone who saw first hand who/what Romney was while living in Massachusetts when he was Gov. I have to say,that you would think that someone who has been campaigning since about '94,he would have this down pat. If he cannot get things straight by now with all this practice,what makes one believe he could effectively run this country? I guess in Romney's case.practice does NOT make perfect,but less credible.

April 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Me

Part of the problem is that Romney has never lived in the real world. He never has had to learn, or care about the world outside of the rich man's realm.

April 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
  26. Frank

..."Dated"... Hillary...you look in a mirron lately...? And "and Joe-the-mouth-Biden"...keep talking...you're bound to say something right...

April 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • Me

Oh Frank, take a minute to look in the "mirron" yourself. I think you will see someone who has a crush on Hillary Clinton.

April 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Reply
    • bebegun

thanks frank, my words exactly,

April 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  27. VITO

1 country has had military equipment that has contributed to more killing of USA citizens than all others combined – 1 country is continually supporting the most despicable anti human rights countries – 1 country has single handily built and assisted with Iran nuclear facilities – 1 country is giving Iran & Syria premium air defense equipment to protect nuke & chemical installations – 1 country is revered, respected as a blueprint for anti-USA policies by China's hegemonic ambitions – This list can go on & on – the 1 country is run by the Kremlin in R_ _ _ _ A (see if You can fill in the
    letters to find out the real USA foe yesterday, today and tomorrow)

April 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Reply
    • Michael

You are absolutely correct – The Lunatic Left Media and Politicians have NO clue – Evil with a smile is still Evil

April 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Reply
      • Cedar Rapids

Evil huh?
        dont tell me, you think the US is a 'good guy' right?

April 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • ES

> 1 country has had military equipment that has contributed to more killing of USA citizens than all others combined
      ------------

Do you know how many people have been killed with arms made in the USA? USA is not any better.
      The rest of your post doesn't even make sense. There was never a war between US and Russia, which is a good thing for both sides and all sane people know that.

April 2, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Reply
      • AmazedinFL

Absolutely correct. And do you know how many 'despicable' countries and people the US supported with arms, etc. when it was politically expedient (e.g., Saddam Hussein back when we saw Iraq pitted against Iran, Osama bin Laden back when our government was referring to him as a 'freedom fighter' rather than the terrorist he already was)? If not, you're living in complete ignorance.

April 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • lol

Replace Russia with "Israel" in your diatribe and it sounds a lot more accurate.

April 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Reply
  28. scooter

Russia our main foe? Would that all our foes be so internally screwed up.

April 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  29. GOP Hate Americ

YAWWWWN the Russian boogeyman is so 1984. wow now even the fear mongering of the GOP is getting old

April 2, 2012 at 11:27 am | Reply
    • PushingBack

This just in: Romney says polio is biggest health threat facing the USA and that we must find a cure!

April 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Reply
    • Me

Romney will overturn prohibition too. That's why Santorum is still in the race.

April 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  30. bspurloc

Imagine palin or bachman in hillarys place.... FRIGHTENING putting 2 imbeciles who know NOTHING about anything... sounds like romney is another of those palin lite? fear mongering is getting old

April 2, 2012 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • US citizen

And imagine Romnew will be the President!!!! Scary youah??? He will probably say "Why did we stop nuclear race". Lets roll and make more of those. LOL. He is so out of time.

April 2, 2012 at 11:36 am | Reply
  31. wallybird1234

Not to worry folks, remember Sarah Palin has been protecting us from Russia (Putin) by monitoring them from her front lawn.

Because it's all about job creation. Also. Too.

April 2, 2012 at 11:22 am | Reply
    • christine

lol....funnies comment I've read today!! : )

April 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Reply
  32. Frank

Why is it that Russia and China alway veto every sanction we want to impose on Siria or North Korea or other rogue states then? They have power to manipulate the UN security Council and they will do it just because they can.

April 2, 2012 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • GOP Hate Americ

why is it that America be the only one with the final word on everything? since when did we become the world dictator?

April 2, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • US citizen

May be so we don't invade any more countries? Till now we kill everyone who dont want our peace.

April 2, 2012 at 11:39 am | Reply
    • lordpet

Why does the US veto every resolution that goes against Israel?

April 2, 2012 at 11:44 am | Reply
      • uhadit

America vetoes all resolution concerning Israel is because the American Christian have sold their soul to the Devil/Satan Isra-hell & the american christians have become SLAVES of the ZIONIST JEWS

April 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • PushingBack

Because they are over there and have ties. Imagine China wanting to sanction Mexico – USA would have the same reaction.

April 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Reply
    • Willie12345

Can't you just feel the love ?

April 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Reply
      • uhadit

America is the biggest rougue state hated by all countries in the world

April 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
  33. Mark

Romney is a MORON!! Just looking for power and fame in that White House. Frankly, neither Obama nor Romney have a fricken clue!!

April 2, 2012 at 9:34 am | Reply
  34. John Honeycutt

Right Clinton.....as BOZOBAMA said: I can be more fexible after the election.....hmmmm...sounds more like I will disarm America so we are defenseless against your attacks after the election......

April 2, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply
    • BobR

If that's your real name, you're going to be sorry you announced to the world that you're a moron.

April 2, 2012 at 9:56 am | Reply
    • acutemind

@ Honeycutt – Sounds more like you're an idiot.

April 2, 2012 at 10:03 am | Reply
    • Levi

How childish and short sighted. Romney is a puppet, just as GW Bush was. All the GOP has is a clown candidate, and name calling.

April 2, 2012 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • bob

Sounds more like you don't have a clue.

April 2, 2012 at 10:29 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

fear mongering is getting old,,,, we have the #1 military BY extremes..... who are we scared of? ourselves by your words it seems.... u would be better off if u stopped dictating your life by foxfacts

April 2, 2012 at 11:21 am | Reply
    • US citizen

Honeycutt – you are officially certified idiot on this site – congratulations.!!!

April 2, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • Cody

What? This is the kind of statement that makes me fear Republicans. It's like McCarthy all over again but this time you call it just "treason" instead of being a communist. Although you do often call Obama a communist too...

April 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Reply
    • sarahlies

You are cruelly depriving a village somewhere of an idiot. What you are lacking in intelligence, you’re more than making up for in stupidity. When I look into your eyes, I see straight through to the back of your head, b/c your verbosity is exceeded only by your total stupidity.

April 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  35. Bob

But that's how all Republicans view the world, from their rear-view mirrors.

April 2, 2012 at 8:53 am | Reply
    • Me

"Honey, is that dog vomit dripping down the rear window?"

April 2, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  36. Ben

And Obama's remarks to Russia are frighteningly current...

April 2, 2012 at 8:52 am | Reply
  37. Covering the gaffe

"Labeling Romney's words as "dated..." A long known fact, but not dated. The Dems are just trying to cover for their boy pandering to the Russkies' Medvedev last week.

April 2, 2012 at 8:05 am | Reply
    • Drew

Man..u r as dated and as stupid as Wrogmney'...get a job or a hobby..welcome to reality paco.

April 2, 2012 at 9:08 am | Reply
    • Levi

thats all you got, jumping on a hot mike gaffe of a very true political statement. Something politicians say all the time...

April 2, 2012 at 10:22 am | Reply
  38. JimfromBham

Starting with Sun Tzu's advice (i.e., "Know your enemy, but first, know yourself"), here are my picks for our national security priorities:

1. Develop a replacement for foreign oil
    2. Get our national debt under control without wiping out domestic programs or sacrificing national security by cutting too deeply into the Defense Department
    3. Jobs
    4. China – Their military is a sleeping giant just on its sheer size. Our counterweight to their numbers has been technology, but they are showing signs of developing a military technology to challenge us.
    5. Radical Islamic jihadists – from the Phillipines, to Indonesia, through Pakistan, across the rest of Southwest Asia, into Africa, radical Islamic jihadists, while somewhat decentralized, pose as great a threat to international peace as they did before our involvement in Southwest Asia. It appears that some of the various groups informally "chat" but rarely coordinate their activities. If they ever start working together, the entire world is in trouble.
    6. The international economy – It's an interwoven economic world out there. For instance, what happens in Greece will affect our economy, both in the stock markets and on the money exchanges, and eventually through the price of goods. Not sure if this one should actually be higher.

By the way – where is Russia, a you ask? Not even next on the list (probably Iran, North Korea, Somalia in that order).

April 2, 2012 at 6:46 am | Reply
    • JohnQQer

Your top three are problems, not enemies or geopolitical foes. I'd replace your #1 with North Korea, you know that country we are technically still at war with. If that war reboots China could and probably will take the top spot from them, and guess who will be right there backing China? Russia.

April 2, 2012 at 8:41 am | Reply
      • Steve

Geez...QQ'er is right...

April 2, 2012 at 9:20 am |
      • JimfromBham

John – we're not too far apart, but I never said my list was the "Axis of Evil" list, a list of enemies, etc. it was simply my list of national security priorities. For instance, most folks forget than the Middle East (including to a large extent, Iran) largely becomes merely a "sandbox" (rather than "The Sandbox") if we eliminate foreign oil as a factor. While I agree with you that another round of the Korean War could trigger direct conflict with China, I believe that China ranks higher on the list all by itself due to their massive size and their recent dalliances with military technology (e.g., the anti-ship missile that can take out one of our aircraft carriers, their ICBM technology that can kill our satellites, and their computer hacking skills that are being developed to assist their military to "blind" a foreign opponent who depends a lot on computerization and the Internet. (i.e., the US)).

April 2, 2012 at 9:59 am |
      • JohnQQer

My mistake Jim. I agree with about everything you stated. I just list NK first because I see them as the only way china and usa get involved in a conflict.

April 2, 2012 at 10:19 am |
      • Cody

Russia actually really dislikes China. They are in no manner of the word "allies". They just happen to agree on people not imposing policies on sovereign nations in fear that they will get invaded for human right's violations. The Siberian/Chinese border has long been a hotbed of resentment. Russia would be -thrilled- to see China go down in flames. Not to mention economically it would put Russia on top in the natural resources department.

April 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
      • Samson

QQ needs a little more IQ.

April 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
      • ES

Cody is exactly right, Russia has no love lost for China. The only reason they agree on UN issues is because they can't stand US meddling in other soverign countries affairs. Or bringing of "freedom and democracy" as US calls it.

April 2, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • US citizen

Any other " lists" you have? Dont think anyone educated in White House cares about your list. Now get back to work.

April 2, 2012 at 11:45 am | Reply
      • JimfromBham

Hey, US Citizen

You're really funny. I put my list out about 6:30 am, well before the WH staff rolls in. When you get up at 4:30 am to go run, it's easy to start the day early.

April 2, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • uhadit

And USA comes below the list after somalia for now these coward christain crusaders after living Iraq are trying to flee from Afghanistan through back door after being unable to defeat a handful of semi armed terrorist talibans, & not onlt that these coward christian american are holding secret talks with the terrorist talibans what a shame the socalled world only super power begging for peace, the cowards american should piss in a tumbler & drown themselves in their own urine

April 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Reply
      • JimfromBham

uhadit

Hey, man – go easy on yourself. Any more foam in your mouth, and someone will think you have rabies.

April 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  39. Jerry

Was anyone expecting anything else from Obama's #1 lap dog. Oops! Sorry. She is actually #2; Biden is número 1.

They (Biden, Clinton, etc., etc., etc.) are only helping this clueless/vindictive president continue his destruction of our beloved country.

April 2, 2012 at 6:37 am | Reply
    • ckarke

Well, in this case I do agree with them all. Very dated. Maybe you are not old enough to remember.

April 2, 2012 at 6:48 am | Reply
      • Jankz

So I guess the attack on our Georgian allies wasn't a big deal?

April 2, 2012 at 7:05 am |
      • JimfromBham

Between GEN Petraeus and Sec of State Clinton, the Obama Administration has maintained a foreign policy that is more Republican in nature than I expected in January of 2009. Sure, the Russian invasion of Georgia was disturbing but does it rank anywhere near the top of our lists of international problem areas? We will live in an era of limited military and foreign aid budgets soon due to the necessity to balance our national budget, and we will not have the luxury of making idle threats about future military involvement in areas that do not directly impact our immediate national security.

April 2, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • sarahlies

are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort?

April 2, 2012 at 8:00 am | Reply
    • lovetheusaorleave

April 2, 2012 at 8:11 am | Reply
      • Cedar Rapids

"I guess both Clinton and Biden forgot 3 weeks ago were bashing Russia for blocking any attempts by NATO to take actions against Syria"

There is a huge difference between bashing Russia for not backing a resolution, and claiming they are the 'geopolitical foe'

April 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • Jalane

wow, u know nothing about the country u live.Ppl like you make Americans look stupid, jesus

April 2, 2012 at 9:00 am | Reply
      • Prahuaniyeuu

Romney is a flip flopping gresay politician. He is no different than John Kerry relatively polished ..changes opinion with changes in the wind ..he is not what we need. Guliani, who did a great job in the city of NY .is a bully. He always has been .and he resorts back to that nature when he feels threatened. McCain whom I respect greatly, is just too old to win the general. Voters want younger, more appealing candidates. Thompson is an arrogant , out of touch old geezer ..the only guy in the GOP field who really has a chance is Huckabee. I have been callign for this guy to be the candidate for more than a year .he is the class of the field.

October 11, 2012 at 4:02 am |
    • daveF

Jerry; ignorance rears it's head again. You, David & the other no-nothings have been eating the oats after they cone out of the horse.

April 2, 2012 at 9:12 am | Reply
      • kevin

"Eating the oats after they come out of the horse" that is some kind of fantastic saying right there. I don't know why but I can't help but hear it being said out loud by a hollywood Russian mafia guy with a thick accent

April 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • ironman59

The country is not being destroyed and our military is not constantly being thrown into needless conflicts that risk their lives. You are simply mad because the economy is turning around and the hard won rights of people in all categories are not being taken away. This is not 1950 and just because you want it that way doesn't mean it needs to happen.

The military is bloated with excessive technology that is not effective. There are no signs now or in the future of a country-on-country war like WWII. If spending was to be kept the same, it should at least be shifted into Veterans services because the gop plan is to "use them & lose them".

April 2, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

was anyone expecting anyone to believe mitt the ripper? i mean no one with a brain would

April 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • Samson

That honor belongs to G W Bush.

April 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  40. ct

sorry mittens but you're wrong...

April 2, 2012 at 6:05 am | Reply
    • Neil IL

The Mitbot 2000 is due for a software update..

Unfortunately tea bloatware forcing too many executables, preventing optimize.

April 2, 2012 at 7:45 am | Reply
  41. phone number search by number

Amazing things here. I am very glad to peer your post. Thanks a lot and I am having a look forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

April 2, 2012 at 4:27 am | Reply
  42. Craig

America's worst enemy is lack of education. The number of red-necks and illiterates whose knowledge of World affairs comes from tabloids who vote in our president every year exceeds the number of people with a basic university education. What made America great was know-how. Now Americans only know how to create obesity.

April 2, 2012 at 4:05 am | Reply
    • JimfromBham

Good point, Craig. I probably should have put education (specifically education in technical areas) somewhere on my list above. Another problem is that the US college kids are going into non-technical areas where the job market is bleak, but they can say they are "college educated".

April 2, 2012 at 7:39 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

the loudest crying states are the ignorant southern states who are taking in MORE federal dollars than paying out.... stop crying and get a job... typical ignorant... cry and point finger at others so nobody points it at u

April 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Reply
      • JimfromBham

bspurloc

Not sure who you intended your comment for, but since I am from the South I guess I will respond. I have a job. I'm am college educated. My BS came from a school that is frequently rated number 1 in the country. My doctorate also came from a good school.

I volunteer some of my time to recruit for a series of very prestigious schools, primarily in the Northeast. We have no problems filling our full scholarships with kids from Alabama.

April 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  43. San jose

Here are our enemies. Starting with worst:
    1. China[their satellite, by default, north Korea. <>
    2.Venezuela/ Cuba- they have marinated almost the entire s American continent with extreme fascist[an extreme left version of nationalism with the central government authoritarian control of any entrepreneurship]
    3. Pakistan- an institution of terror that hates America and votes against us in the UN
    For some reason, we give them billions a year, with their brethren, the brother hood in Egypt .
    4. Iran - the Arabs need to grow some balls and expell the hegemonic military regime in
    charge. They point the blame to Israel[I can't tolerate Israel either,don't go there] to divert the Iranian people's eyes.
    Iran despises Palestinian Islam . Iran despises Hamas' Islamic followings .
    We could stay out of Syria If Iran's crescent is smashed.
    Sudan -an extremist president who kills his own people and has been formally charged with genocide.
    Somalia- unorganized but al-shabaab want all Americans dead.

Let's make Nebraska the new Zionist homeland. This will stabilize things and there is plenty of room.

I am a white boy from the liberal bay area.

April 2, 2012 at 2:36 am | Reply
    • mercy

The Iranians are persians fyi

April 2, 2012 at 2:43 am | Reply
      • San jose

I never said Iranians were Arabs.
        There are more Azeris and others than Farsi in iran FyI

April 2, 2012 at 2:46 am |
    • Tabriz, Iran

The military regime in Iran is worse than that of the not so popular shah.
      The 1979 hegemonic military revolution has cost more Persian lives than the shah.
      Khomeini came in and duped us into thinking we would be free.
      Get the ayatollahs out! We love you America! So many of our relatives are so successful because of your freedom
      I cant even create a G-rated comic book here without threatened by arrest.
      Many walls were built after the Shah.

April 2, 2012 at 2:59 am | Reply
      • Baluchistan-Iran

Because I'm a Sunni Muslim in Shia Iran, I'm bullied by the moral police every week. They think I'm a terroreest. I can't even practice my Sunni Islam in Iran, so how can they bother me.
        The Iranian police took my Internet and comfescated my computer.
        My elder grandma loved email! She just learned. She cannot talk to her Shia friends in Tehran now.
        I just run a farm.

April 2, 2012 at 3:06 am |
    • truthordare7

somewhere out there China is laughing their tushes off. "them amerikans so funnie...so stupid."

April 2, 2012 at 3:22 am | Reply
    • Sick of it already

32 yrs, Iran this, Iran that.
      Send them a direct message[tomahawks to revolutionary guard would be a good one] or leave them the eff alone. Come on!
      The Arabs need to Cull Iran from there sphere themselves. Americans aren't interested in joining muslim on Muslim fighting with a Jew of two in the mix.

April 2, 2012 at 3:26 am | Reply
    • China is here

Why do we let so many Chinese in this country if they're enemies.
      They are infiltrating us. Many dont want to assimilate. Their horrible ediquette
      needs addressing as well. Seriously.

April 2, 2012 at 3:36 am | Reply
      • Craig

"ediquette"? Seriously? I would imagine that most new immigrants to this country can write English better than you. Your xenophobia is clearly based more upon racism than wisdom (i.e., you are racist).

April 2, 2012 at 3:59 am |
      • Craig

Sorry, can't get over it... haha ha.... the "horrible ediquette of them thar darned immergrants dang takin way yorn jobs n'all..." Yeah, that's it, it's the immigrants to blame for everything, not your idiocy, ha ha

April 2, 2012 at 4:01 am |
      • kenn

That's the problem that cannot be solved. We call this land an immigrant nation.

April 2, 2012 at 9:42 am |
    • W.G

You may be from the liberal bay area but I bet you have a confedrate battle flag tatooed to the arm
      you "Zieg Heil" with . The jews Live in Israel because it´s their land and has been for over 5000 years . They didn´t
      just come back to it recently . Even after the romans kicked the jews out of their homeland like the europeans
      kicked the Indians off of theirs . there were still Jews living in Israel . But the continual occupation of arabs
      in Israel makes modern day IDIOTS think that there were never any Jews there .

April 2, 2012 at 3:49 am | Reply
      • Ajooj majoj

The Jews mimic many things.
        The post 1948 Israelis are eastern European and khazars. Not the original Jews who are God's chosen.
        The Bay area white man is correct.
        W.G. Did a reverse , left hand tur"zieg heil" when Israel killed Palestinanins the last two days.
        Syria will retake Golan from Israel when liberated [soon]

April 2, 2012 at 3:58 am |
      • JMM

So maybe they have a claim to the land. they certainly don't deserve the 2 billions we simply give them each year. What a joke?

April 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Craig

The main foe of the United States of America is your inability to write proper English. America is full of imbeciles who, being part of a great nation and possessing a little bit of education, feel entitled to make grandiose statements with a pompous attitude. It is this arrogance and bigotry that leads America to go to unnecessary wars, making the World a much more dangerous place to live in.

April 2, 2012 at 3:57 am | Reply
      • kenn

I agree with you. You are the most intelligent man.

April 2, 2012 at 9:47 am |
      • Julie Barnes

Command of the english language you say? The answer to all of our problems? Perhaps you should end a sentence in something other than a preposition. What a knucklehead you are.

April 2, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • bspurloc

your list is SILLY..... China has no want to demolish the USA if they did that their economy would CRASH as we are their #1 employer of their workers. Iran has no ability to strike the USA nor does Cuba or Venezuela.
      The #1 enemy of the USA is the GOP and their fear mongering their war on Poor, middle class, health care, women, economy, energy etc etc it is not radical islam that hates our way of life it is the GOP that hates our way of life.

April 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Reply
      • JMM

Cheers to that. However, there are still millions of uneducated and grossly misinformed citizen that the GOP will always manipulate to stay relevant. i must say however, the Democrats are not much better, but at least their party is not controlled by wing nut fundamentalist Christians.

April 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  44. obinna

Romneys advisors have probably told him that the republican ticket is all sewn up and that its time work on his image as an adversary for Obama.So don't be surprised when he drops other controversial points of view.its all an attempt to project him as a strong minded individual capable of leading a strong nation.So predictable!

April 2, 2012 at 1:35 am | Reply
    • Alesia

It's amazing when I hear all of these statements about what the Obama administration should or shouldn't do about the US's foreign relationships. Laughable even. Until you're faced with the responsibility of holding millions of lives in your hands- their safety, their prosperity, etc... no one here can begin to understand the gravity of those obligations. Peace is ALWAYS a better option to war, death, and destruction. And there is no way to maintain that without making diplomatic decisions and creating partnerships, when dealing with leaders of other countries. Remembering the lives lost on 9/11 should strengthen that resolve. Other countries develop such hatred of the US because so many arrogant buffoons are always sounding off about how we should point bombs and guns everywhere else and conquer anything/anyone who opposes our ideals and beliefs.

April 2, 2012 at 10:48 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

aka nonsense fear mongering comments

April 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Reply
  45. Damian

I really think a lot of people posting comments need to take a logic class and review facts before they vent. Stop following politicians like lemmings and supporting b.s they spurt and think for yourselves. When was the last time the U.S had a problem with Russia aside from the Syrian veto? If I am not mistaken China has been more of a pain in the ass for the past decade than Russia and was also part of the Syrian veto. North Korea is launching rockets, has deranged leadership and has nukes; Iran is building nukes yet Russia is the main geopolitical foe? I don't care if someone is a democrat or a republican, saying something like that is just plain stupid and reflects on those who support candidates like that.

April 2, 2012 at 1:04 am | Reply
    • JohnQQer

Russia isn't America's #1 foe, they are #3. Everyone posting seems to be missing the fact that we are still technically at WAR with North Korea. If that war were to reboot China would become direct enemies in a blink of an eye. While Russia may not enter that war they would provide all the support they could to China and NK.
      Yes we are on a path of friendship with Russia and China, all it would take is a reboot of the Korean War to change that, wake up people.

#1: North Korea
      #2: China
      #3: Russia
      #4: Iran
      #5: Militant groups from the middle east.

April 2, 2012 at 5:47 am | Reply
      • t

North Korea should not be on that list. They are about as much of a threat as a Mosquito. The North Korean military is in shambles and the country has close to zero economy. The only reason NK still exists as a nation is our real competition, China (I say competition, because I don't think they are a real enemy). China has the population, the economy, and the intellectual knowledge to edge out the US in contest today. In ten years, we will be clearly behind. Though China's military spending is less than ours, they have the economy and manufacturing base and could leap frog us in a couple of years if they desired.

April 2, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Alesia

My sentiments exactly!! Let's face it, if we have time to be making comments to this post, it's likely we lack the qualifications to make decisions about foreign policy, and what the President should do when meeting with other world leaders.

April 2, 2012 at 10:58 am | Reply

u said SPURT! i like u

April 2, 2012 at 11:57 am | Reply
  46. Name*real

Ronnie boy u r a lost cause

April 2, 2012 at 12:53 am | Reply
  47. Smokey

The issues Romney cites – Russia's "nuclear arsenal, its energy resources, its geographic position astride Europe and Asia, the veto it wields on the UN Security Council, and the creeping authoritarianism of its government" – are excellent reasons to engage with Russia and work together with Russia on mutual concerns. They are terrible reasons to antagonize Russia in order to score political points and win a primary battle. How is the U.S. supposed to take on Iran, and secure its interests in central asia, without Russia on board?

Romney's comments are shortsighted, politically motivated, and undermine America's foreign policy positions. They show that he is willing to say things that hurt America for short-term political gain. I'm no fan of Obama but when Romney makes comments like this that are so obviously meant to score political points at the expense of America's international interests, it makes it really hard to support the guy and take him seriously, which is too bad because I once thought he was exactly what this country needed.

April 2, 2012 at 12:47 am | Reply
  48. katahdin

I'd be upset at Romney if I thought for one minute that he actually believed a single word he says. But he saw an opportunity to take a swipe at President Obama, and he took it.
    Romney doesn't actually believe that Russia is our "number one geopolitical foe" at all. Mr. Empty Suit is just spouting whatever he thinks will work at this moment, again.
    Really, I'm just waiting for him to get desperate enough. Then he'll start demanding the President's "real" birth certificate.

April 2, 2012 at 12:17 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

he is just going to do the ole Mormon batpism of Obama out of the country then use that as proof he wasnt born here

April 2, 2012 at 11:56 am | Reply
  49. John

Mittens shook the Etch-a-Sketch, and it went back 40 years – just like this country would do if Romney were elected. Fortunately, it ain't gonna happen.

April 1, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Reply
    • Alesia

You tell 'em John! It's ridiculous that the only thing these Repubs have focused on for the last 3 years is undermining Obama's presidency. They have been and continue to be willing to do or say ANYTHING to discredit Obama's policies, ideals, or interests, or character. Sadly, it has been at the expense of the American people. And just to note, I LOVE OBAMACARE! I also happen to think calling the reform Obamacare is perfect. As it stands, 10-15 years from now, history will recall (once ignorant folks see they've been benefiting from it) the legistlation by its owner's name.

April 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  50. Prince Dagher

Mitt is right becuz the facts are clear, taking for instance Russia veto on the syrian issue.

April 1, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Reply
    • Merimadrigal

No – the Russian veto does not make them our main geo-political enemy – number 1 reason you can't really claim that is that China also vetoed on Syria, so how can it be you would choose just one of the vetoers. But you also have to think about when France vetoed the idea of an Iraq war – though the neo-cons were ready to call the French our enemy, that was not the case. Sometime research Richard Perle he was a start of neo-con nonsense against France but some years later when he was in some hot water regarding possible legal problems, he removed himself to his residence in Southern France, so you see with his right hand he said France is an enemy and with his left he asked for protection from said country. The point is that neo-conservatives are very knee-jerk about foreign policy and do not have a firm grasp on the US role in the world, or how important it is to have co-operation between nations, and general consensus.

April 2, 2012 at 1:00 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

FYI.... Russian has ONE naval base in the Mediterranean... guess where it is? ah u dont even know where that is so um it is SYRIA.... they arent going to support anything against Syria and risk losing that Naval Base...

April 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Reply
    • Shane

I was a McCain support in 2000 alhoguth he is not the ideal candidate, he is going to get my support for President if he is the candidate. It will still be interesting as Huckabee has a chance to win a number of southern states on Super Tuesday. If he and McCain are the big winners, and Romney falls out ..it will be interesting to see what happens. Personally I like Huckabee and if he does win a number of states on Super Tuesday what will that mean.

October 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Reply
  51. Donald in CA

I guess romney just misspoke. Truth is he doesnt know what he is talking about. Thats why the right wing crazies love him.

April 1, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Reply
    • Neil IL

Damn lamestream media and their 'gotcha' questions! Ha. Upcoming general election debates will be fun.

April 2, 2012 at 7:40 am | Reply
  52. CollinD

I am from Communist country. I don't like Communist. I have been living in USA for almost 20 years. I am not Republician or Democrat. I wanna tell you that those Russia, China, Iran and other communist countries they still HATE USA LOTS... the reason why they don't wanna fight with USA now because their military are still weaker than USA... BUT... ONCE they get stronger in economy and military... They will REVENGE... DO NOT EVER AND EVER TRUST COMMUNIST CHINA, RUSSIA... EVEN THEY ARE NOT COMMUNIST... THEY STILL AGAINST TO USA... WEST AND EAST NEVER MEET...

April 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Reply
    • Laura

Do you have a fewer today? You can compete in paranoia with Romney and GOP, who thinks Russia a #1 enemy, and another #1 is China, and also #1 is Iran, etc… Listening their vocabulary “bomb Iran”, “confront China”, “not hesitate to attack”, etc., it give you chill in spine about our future... I hope voters will keep them out of the White House to prevent other meaningless wars. ( I am from a Communist country too and live in US almost 20 years)

April 2, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  53. Dmitry and Vlad

Ah yes Comrade in the Sov... uh Peoples Republic of Russia the elections are fair and Free! Let all of my fellow Comr... uh I mean Citizens come to Russia and see how Disguised Commu... uh Free and Fair Democracy works in the greatest nation on earth!!! Putin 2018 you guys!!!!
    Yes folks this is what Hillary calls dated, and yet she herself challenged the recent elections as being neither free or fair and yet they claim otherwise, what Romney thinks isn't dated its happening right now!!! Even the Russian Communist Party is against Vlad!!!

April 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Reply
    • D. Darko

Hey Bub, did you know that the communist party is not in power? Putin's not a commie. I have problems with Russia, but it is stupid and un-presidential to label them out loud as enemy no. 1. This is what Romney's doing. Perhaps Romney knows that the more unstable the situation is between Russian and America, the higher gas and oil prices will be. Romney is from Wall St. – he is no doubt familiar with oil trading desk strategies, and how to capitalize on geo-political conflict. It's dangerous, and he doesn't have the character to be President. Don't say much for you either.

April 1, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Reply
    • Cedar Rapids

" and yet she herself challenged the recent elections as being neither free or fair "

and this converts to 'geopolitical foe' how exactly?

April 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  54. Republican are Disgusting

RoMoney is so 70's!

April 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Reply
    • TheMan

If he was so 70's, then he would be a pot smoking hippie with aids.

April 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Reply
      • Khamul

AIDS wasn't even identified until 1982, you're a moron.

April 2, 2012 at 3:33 am |
      • TheMan

That's why it would be full blown aids dumb ass and not HIV. How many people had it before they new about it?........... just because it was identfied in 1982 doesn't mean it wasn't around until 82. I am guessing you are an adumacated colege grad, huh? Shut up you bafoon.

April 2, 2012 at 6:50 am |
      • Alesia

Wow, that was an amazing statement. I love the way you've articulated your thoughts. It's an awesome way to win an argument. Because obviously, if you're from the 70's, then you smoke pot and you're HIV/AIDS positive. Keep it up! You represent America in the best way.

April 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  55. TheMan

Romney all the way. Nice way to get the muslims and terrorists to forget about how much they hate us and blame it all on russia. Havent you guys you guys seen the last season of 24? It explains it all.

April 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Reply

next romney will say Chechen rebels are threatening the USA

April 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Reply
  56. rand

This coming from a woman who stood on a stage and pressed a plastic "reset" button......with Russia of all countries...............pathetic!

April 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  57. Ken from FL

I think Romney has a greater appreciation of the challenge Russia under Putin presents to the United States compared to the current administration, which can't wait until the election is over so Obama can be "more flexible" with the authoritarian regime in Moscow. Hillary is delusional.

April 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Reply
    • Socrates

I need to remind you that this is year 2012 not 1960. Get it? Now if you have Alzheimer you need to take your pills. Okay, you forgot.

April 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Reply
      • edfla

Russia could be a significant help in "cooling down" the Middle East, but they refuse to assist as it is in their interest to let it foment. They have gotten this Administration to reduce our nuclear arsenal with nothing in return. They have gotten this Administration to throw our friends in Eastern Europe under the bus over missile defense, again, with nothing in return. They could assist in supporting our efforts to restrain China, both economically and militarily, but have not done so. Their inactions and counter-U.S. actions are a very significant threat that Obama and Clinton and Biden refuse to acknowledge.

April 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
      • TheMan

Don't forget, they refuse to hang sanctions are syria as well. This is where russia turns out to be a non do gooder country. They don't care about any one but themselves.

April 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
      • Sevak

frightening to think that Romney pulled in $21 moililn in campaign funds in the first quarter of 2007 and is well positioned to be a major contender for the republican nomination. great video on his beliefs.

October 13, 2012 at 3:24 am |
    • Mikey

what an absurd comment. Any who understands Poly Sci, would have understood how accurate Ovana's statement was. This is an ELECRION year, Russia just had elections. You live in rhe 18th century. Romney is an idiot. Flip-flops on everything.

April 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Reply
    • svann

So Obama gets Russia to cool their heels, and you think thats a bad thing?

April 2, 2012 at 12:39 am | Reply
    • bspurloc

apparently u dont think putin was in control all these years.... time for u to get out of bed

April 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Reply
  58. Donkey Party

There are some incredibly ignorant comments here, all from the President Obama haters. You sub-humans are a world-wide embarrassment. It's because of right-wing trash like you the rest of the civilized world hates us, like it or not, that's a fact.

April 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Reply
    • Lee McBride

Wow...you missed your calling...you could have been the 27th hijacker Mohammed! (a.k.a. Donkey Party)

April 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Reply
      • bspurloc

thanks for the bigot comment

April 2, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  59. helenecha

I don't think Russia needs encouragement. Russia needs support. Does Obama Administration wish to contribute?

April 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  60. Patrick from Minnesota

Earth to Romney: The Cold War ended 21 years ago. For someone who's trying to become more connected with the issues he isn't doing too well.

April 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  61. davec.0121

And gee, Mitt, - have you ever heard of China?

April 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  62. davec.0121

Romney's comments show that he is even more out of touch and ignorant of international affairs than of domestic problems. The Cold War is over. Russia, like other countries, pursues what it sees as it's national interests. Sometimes they coincide with ours, sometimes (for both their international and domestic considerations), they don't. That doesn't make them a geopolitical foe. And, given their internal problems, and their relentless slide into Third World status, certainly not the number one geopolitical foe.

April 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Reply
    • Ken from FL

If Russia is pursuing its national interests, which as a great power is totally unsurprising, then it is by definition a geopolitical adversary of the United States, as is China. The Cold War with the Soviet Union may be over, but Russia is very much with us. You need to do a little reading into Russian politics and foreign policy. You might learn something.

April 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Reply
      • davec.0121

Having read a lot of Russian history and politics, I apparently have learned more than you. Firstly, Russia pursues its interests, just as we do. And just as China and France and Brazil and many other countries. Whether that makes us "foes", "advesaries" or whatever is an irrelevant question of semantics. When our interests coincide, such as in central Asia, we work together. When our interests don't coincide, we don't. Real world politics. Romney apparently hasn't learned that the Cold War is over.
        Secondly, Russia could not pose a viable threat, even if it wanted to. It has significant social problems, including falling birth rate, falling life expectancy among males, pervasive corruption, and a mostly hollow and impotent military. The only things keeping Russia afloat are exports of energy and weapons, and other countries (e.g., India) are turning away from Russian weapons because of quality and support problems. The recent protests against the elections is a sign that their "social contract" (the government will let you make a lot of money if you don't demand any say in government) is starting to crack. And not only among the new middle class, but also among the working class, who's standards of living are stagnant or falling. The "Economist" has run several interesting features on Russia-I suggest you read them before you label Russia our "No. 1 Geo-Political Foe".
        Oh, and did I mention: What about China?

April 2, 2012 at 1:32 am |
  63. W.G

Romney´s a joke ! Like Bush he´ll just get us into a war at the expense of the lives of lower and middleclass
    Children . They do not care if Higher education is affordable for our kids . The republicans are interested
    in creating an old aristicratic southern feudal system like in the 17 and 1800´s . Romney wanting to do
    away with Uninos and the basic social programs all countries , even 3rd. world countries have . They´re
    still pushing OLD , TIRED ,outdated POLICIES THAT NEVER WORKED and have only made things
    worse in this country .

April 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

the good old christian taliban ways with a lil bit of mormon head in the bucket ideas

April 2, 2012 at 11:46 am | Reply
    • Leuor

Slick Willard remains the frnertunonr to get the GOP nomination, but it wasn't the slam dunk it was a month ago. He definitely comes across as plastic and inauthentic so it's no surprise that Huckabee is giving him such a scare, but assuming Huckabee will or already has peaked this week with his snowballing scandals, Willard will be the natural beneficiary of Huckabee defectors. With the predictable implosion of Giuliani upon us and Thompson essentially waving the white flag, conservatives (particularly in McCain-hating Iowa) have nowhere else to go but Willard. Huckabee can still be a huge problem, but the expectations bar for Willard have now been reduced so much for Iowa that even a strong second would give him the momentum to win New Hampshire, followed by Michigan, and then slingshot him into the nomination. The National Review endorsement was most likely well-timed to parallel Willard's comeback.If nominated, he'll make fast work of his Democratic challenger (be it Hillary, Obama, or Edwards), the Mormon controversy quickly going away in the face of a challenge by Hillary or a black man. The bigot vote will effortlessly embrace Willard at the end of the day.

October 11, 2012 at 1:23 am | Reply
  64. beezy

wow the libtards are out in full force today! get a job people and stop demanding MY country pais your way thru.

April 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Reply
    • smarterthanyoass

Lern to right and spel and maybe peeple will lissen to whut you hav ta say

April 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Reply
    • W.G

You can already tell the republican cutbacks in education are hurting this country .
      This "POOR BOOB" cannot even spell PAYS ! Then again I´ve never heard the words
      RETARDLIcan and SMART in the same sentence

April 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Reply
      • smarterthanyoass

GIt off ma land!

April 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • whodathunk

sure, dude. except i'm not a liberal and i am the one signing the checks. that doesn't stop romney and the repubs from having their heads up it deep

April 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Reply
  65. us1776

Romney has probably never met or worked with any Russians in his life.

Many of us have and have developed good friends and relationships between us.

Romney is a dinosaur who mentally lives in the old days of all that "Cold War" nonsense.

April 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

aren't all 1%'ers like that? romney didnt buy a megamillion ticket cuz... unlike americans who dream to be rich......

April 2, 2012 at 11:44 am | Reply
  66. svann

Interesting that Romney would list Russia's energy resources as one of his reasons for viewing them as an adversary. Is he thinking we might invade them for their oil?

April 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Reply
  67. David

Stop supporting Israeli aggression.

Research israels crimes against humanity.

April 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Reply
  68. ud

This coming from the communist queen herself...

April 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Reply
    • countriboi

Might be time for another dose of the meds!

April 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • smarterthanyoass

you are the malinformed idiot queen it seems. Where do you live Mississippi?

April 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Reply
      • smarterthanyoass

Dontcha think you should have a 'P' in front of your name? PUD?

April 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  69. LICKSPITTLE FO SHIZZLE

Blame the LICKSPITTLES.

April 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  70. slewfoot

Did anyone else think that the celtics were going to blow out miami today?

April 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Reply

u said blow!

April 2, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
  71. Mayflower

Is anyone posting here blind enough to honestly think Russia wouldn't give us the shaft in every possible way if given the chance?

April 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Reply
    • Catharsis

only the programmed obamatron lickspittles would think that their saintly leader and russian are friends to USA

April 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Reply
      • Irskan

I pity the foo, you in other words, having to carry all that hate for another four years...!

April 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
      • Gpop

Another example of back-swamp dueling banjo thinking! Dumbservatives missing all those teeth, while trying to justify why Romney can't relate to anyone but his family and the Mormon Church! Wow, what a guy!

April 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • svann

Explain your comment in regards to their support of our efforts in Afghanistan.

April 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

Is anyone here posting that isnt frightened? fear mongering fear mongering. ok how about now?

April 2, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
  72. John Q

Most comments here today are by some really stupid morons who apparently have never spent any time involved in any kind of diplomacy. Hillary is not only right but mitt is a moron who has no understanding of foreign policy and will get us in another war if elected. Getting about 30 seconds of a conversation does not make anyone an expert and if this embarasses you then you should really feel stupid when the president of Russia calls out mitt romney as not understand foreign policy. Obama 2012

April 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Reply
    • Catharsis

pathetic lickspittle you are John Q less – only m0r0n such as your self reflect in mirror at utter egg-no-rant self – cheers and sneers to lower life form such as self – toodles half baked cookie

April 1, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
      • LAguy

OK that post was absolutely incoherent. In fact all of your posts seem to be that way. If you really want to attack Obama why not do it in a way that sane people can comprehend?? And lickspittle?? Really??

April 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • W from Texas

Miss me yet? Nobama 2012.

April 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  73. Catharsis

kiss Saudi hand – bow to Chinese – lick Russian buttocks – you go obama

April 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • LAguy

Don't forgot to call someone a "lickspittle"!! LOL.

April 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • NutSmasher

If you have a job then you too sir are kissing butt to someone down the road.

April 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

cuz bush and the rest didnt do the same..... when u invade IRAQ and disrupt the #2 oil producing country u tend to have to more than KISS the saudis to make them increase output.... MADE IN CHINA became 99.9% usa products during bush kiss kiss china he did.... again ignorant blame obama... call dr phil and get over your daddy bush hatred of what he did to this country

April 2, 2012 at 11:30 am | Reply
  74. Catharsis

and Hilllary's faux husband knows all about 'dated'

April 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Reply
  75. andy

You people need to get out of your orange velour La-Z-Boys, put "Tora! Tora! Tora!" On pause and visit a few countries. I travel all over the world and happy to report that now that Obama is president, I'm no longer excoriated by colleagues in other countries EVERY time I visit as I was when Bush was president. Does this mean Obama is weak? Quite the contrary. We're now no longer seen as the big fat retarded bully in the sandbox. I like that better. If you prefer the swagger and the idiotic bravado of the other position, buy a pit bull and go sit in the park.

April 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Reply
    • Catharsis

pathetic lickspittle

April 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Reply
      • Irskan

you already used that word. cmon man, some originality please.... try..! TRY!

April 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
      • LAguy

Did you just learn the word lickspittle? I've never heard of it before and yet you use it in every post. I'm guessing you are in your 70s or80s.

April 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • Mayflower

Come on, Andy. Just because people outside the US like Obama doesn't mean he's a good president. And liking Obama because the media doesn't crucify him as they did Bush (I mean, come on, 57 states?) and therefore your arrogant colleagues abroad now give you the respect you wanted in the first place makes you pretty shallow.

April 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Reply
      • Mr Mister

It isn't that they love Obama. It is that they hated your guy. They also like B. Clinton who created the anti- terror branch that Bush later ignored and dismantled. Then poof 9/11 and we get in our nations longest war against terrorism(?). I'm not anti-war. I'm anti-dumb.

Does anyone here honestly think Romney is better than Hillary in foreign affairs?

April 1, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • XSX

To; and y , you say you travel all over the world , than you can give us a report on conditions in the EU , or perhaps ASIA , or at least SOUTH AMERICA with regards to the view of the future from these people ?

the future has never been so bleak , three years ago when obama took office by a well staged act as a leader , he was offering all the answers now in both the usa and afghanistan and many other nation , obama dodges questions and pushes others out in front of him to give the answers because he is overwhelmed with the results of his failed policies.
      And now Clinton is not only facing the thugs of the world , obama has her now confronting the opposition at home as well as abroad . The last time obama met with a world leader that was in oppostion to him , he ask russia's putin for a favor on the election while russia is supporting assad in the syrian slaughter of women and children .

so dude these are facts and you can find these failures on any major media site including cnn , and see these facts are recorded on video.
      obama can not even confront romney head on , instead he once again hides behind CLINTON , pathetically weak .

April 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

cuz the WORLD knows foxfacts are just propaganda fed to the dolts of America.... only the american ignorant eat that poo daily..... the gop and the dolts are the downfall of america to the world.

April 2, 2012 at 11:28 am | Reply
  76. Mcshannon

Hillary may not thrill some of you with her opinions but Romney thinks Russia is our number one foe? She's right like it or not the man is still living in the fifties and has the arrogance to think he's right.

April 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Reply
    • what do u say ?

Mcshannon , we like the interest , moving on , YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO SAID , RUSSIA IS OUR # ONE ENEMY , ROMNEY NEVER SPOKE THOSE WORDS ! so please state what the guy said on a factual level and leave out the twist that you have added .

April 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • Catharsis

if you don't think the Russian and the Chinese are the enemies of this country you are truly pathetic

April 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Reply
    • bspurloc

now put palin in that same interview and the 100% would be... that gotchya media did it to me again....

April 2, 2012 at 11:26 am | Reply
  77. arale norimaki

Omigod, Brian! I was watching this TV special about this guy called Hitler; somebody should stop him!

mit romney

April 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Reply
    • Catharsis

develop a brain stem cookie

April 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Reply
      • RD

How can he if Conservatives fight tooth and nail to ensure absolutely no research for anything to do with Stems happens anywhere in the Union? Escpecially with the established fact that life begins at penetration............

April 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • LAguy

LOL. Yeah Romney just announced that the British are our biggest enemies and that they will burn the White House again and attack Fort McHenry if we aren't careful!

April 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Reply
      • arale norimaki

I am talking about the oldest threat to America! The greatest enemy America has ever known!

Two hundred years we've waited. Finally. We will get those traitors to the Crown! (The British? )

April 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  78. standing on the wrong side

I watched along with the world in unbelief as obama lean into the armpit of russia and ask for a favor from putin on a personal level on the election.

The PRESIDENT OF THE USA conducts them self as the COMMANDER & CHIEF and with the high regard of that office , not like a school kid .
    SORRY MRS CLINTON , I KNOW THE TOUGH TASK YOU HAVE , BUT IN NO WAY CAN I AGREE WITH YOU , NOR CAN I SUPPORT YOU ON THIS .

IT WAS NOT ONLY EMBARASSING , IT WAS NOT THE RESPONSIBLE CONDUCT OF THE PRESIDENT AND IN FACT IT WAS SHOCKING , & SENT A SIGNAL TO MANY LEADERS OF THE WORLD THE WEAKNESS OF OBAMA"S POSITION.

April 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Reply
    • Richard

U live in an Alternate Universe if you think for 1 minute that leaders do not make secret deals and promises that are off the records......been going on since the dawn of civilization.

April 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Reply
      • Daniel

agreed. and the guys use of all caps isn't doing him any favors either haha

April 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Professional Troll

lol... your post is yet another example why CNN needs to moderate these boards more closely... if only to save us the effort of a collective eye rolling groan.

April 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Reply
    • Latricia Evans

And this is why she is the Secretary of State and he is the former Governor of Massachuesetts. He knows absolutely nothing about the real world and it shows every time he opens his mouth.

April 1, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Reply
      • Catharsis

one become sec of state by selling soul and kissing buttocks – gov of mass elected by people – you fail pathetic licjkspittle – hillary can't even find husband Bill on map – and let's not forget the fictional war zone Hillary was attacked in -= ha

April 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Catharsis

obama is a tinpot despot who finds shoes to big for this affirmative action public sector parasite whose libotard lies and deceptions to find hisself faux presdient

April 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Reply
      • LAguy

Ah now we have run-on psychosis. I'm reading your posts and I see deteriorating sanity. Don't you want people to actually understand the attacks you are making?

April 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
      • Irskan

be careful there, that vein on your forehead is about to pop...

April 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
      • JMM

I think you mean GWB. Good try though.

And lastly, how is another4 years of Obama going to sit with you? Better take those meds.......

April 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • bspurloc

cuz u know how politics works with other countries.... wah wah wah... i grasp at straws to try and justify the gops lame attempts to tank the economy

April 2, 2012 at 11:25 am | Reply
  79. See DOWNLOAD MP4/3GP VIDEOS FOR FREE PLEASE NOTE: U MUST BE 18

romney still day dreaming.

April 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  80. David

O my fukking godd. Another hillary story.

Come on

Stop supporting Israeli aggression.

Research israels crimes against humanity.

April 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Reply
    • Johhny

Ture Dat
      This is just of what happened between Obama and Medvedev
      Hillary is retarded

April 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Reply
    • JMM

We support Israel regardless of who sits in the White House. Truthfully the GOP is often more supportive just so they can sell Israel more weapons. I don't think that we should give them a dime, no less the 2 billions they see annually. But to imply that Hilary is any different than a Rep Sec of State shows you lack an understanding of our foreign policy.

April 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Reply