U.S. soldier dies saving Afghan girl
March 28th, 2012

U.S. soldier dies saving Afghan girl

By Larry Shaughnessy

After the news of a U.S. soldier charged with murdering Afghan civilians, mostly women and children, the story of Spc. Dennis Weichel of the Rhode Island National Guard bears telling.

The official Pentagon news release says he died "from injuries suffered in a noncombat related incident." But there is much more to the story. Weichel, 29, of Providence, died saving the life of a little girl.

According to the Rhode Island National Guard and the U.S. Army, Weichel was in a convoy a week ago with his unit in Laghman Province, in northeast Afghanistan. Some children were in the road in front of the convoy, and Weichel and other troops got out to move them out of the way.

Most of the children moved, but one little girl went back to pick up some brass shell casings in the road. Afghan civilians often recycle the casings, and the girl appeared to aim to do that. But a Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicle was moving toward her, according to Lt. Col. Denis Riel of the Rhode Island National Guard.

MRAPs, as they are known, usually weigh more than 16 tons.

Weichel saw the massive truck bearing down on the girl and grabbed her out of the way. But in the process, the armored truck ran him over, Riel said.

The little girl is fine. Weichel died a short time later of his injuries.

"He was a big kid at heart. He always had a smile on his face, and he made everyone laugh," 1st Sgt. Nicky Peppe, who served with Weichel in Iraq, is quoted as saying in an Army story.

"But as much as Weichel was funny, he was also a professional. When it was time to go outside the wire for a combat patrol, he was all business."

Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee has ordered flags in the state lowered to half-staff until Weichel, who was posthumously promoted to sergeant, is laid to rest Monday.

Weichel is survived by his parents, his fiancee and three children. His family will be awarded a Bronze Star and other awards for his sacrifice.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan
  1. all Recipes website Allrecipes

Start the ball rolling immediately and don't acquire a final
    binge. Thede are several causes and explanations to the appearance
    of stomach fat, nevertheless the plain reality
    is that you gett moe energy from food than you consume.
    Other sciuentific tests have found a relationship between abdominal obesity and cancer
    mortality rates.

July 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Reply
  2. Common Sense

December 29, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  3. Denaliw Helfrichw

Thanks for your publication. I would also like to opinion that the very first thing you will need to complete is verify if you really need credit repair. To do that you will have to get your hands on a duplicate of your credit report. That should really not be difficult, since government makes it necessary that you are allowed to have one free of charge copy of your actual credit report on a yearly basis. You just have to request the right persons. You can either look at website owned by the Federal Trade Commission and also contact one of the main credit agencies immediately.

July 28, 2012 at 7:35 am | Reply
  4. Logans

Hey Tyler, I hope you get to read this: I just wanted to say You are a very tltneaed and wonderful singer, much better than some of the big names out there. I hope u get as far as you dream, and beyond I first heard My Country over Halloween weekend and loved it. I've listened to it probably 100 times already. When I was downloading it I heard this song, and it makes me stop and think everytime. I've also heard this´╗┐ song proabably 100 times as well.

May 21, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Reply
  5. Vishal Sathyan

Idiot! I hate this soldier because he died after saving another one. This is very bad. I don't like to kill myself just for the welfare of others.

May 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Reply
    • ed

i worked for the n.y.c. transit authority,as a trackman.one day a man fell or was pushed was on track,did not move i ran to the tunell to fl ag train down,and stopped train,that saved his life,in the army they get a bronze star for this. i got an 8×10 piece of paper. and the person i saved never said thanks.

June 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
      • Vishal Sathyan

You saved his life not for publicity, but as a part of human rights.

June 14, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Vishal Sathyan

I can't still believe you........... Soldiers are not heroes, they are fools who sacrificed themselves for the welfare of others, those who made their family poor and worked for others.......

June 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • Marzhi

I understand you wouldn't give your life to save a little girl, you love your own life Ofcourse. But i think when ppl decide to become a hero (soldiers) automatically know their souls are destinated to save others life.

July 29, 2012 at 7:13 am | Reply
      • Vishal Sathyan

I think soldiers are the real heroes......... I once hated them because I considered them as fools and as they get killed in the battlefield, I though that they are useless....... Sorry........

August 15, 2012 at 11:02 am |