Afghan Taliban suspend talks
US Secy of Defense Leon Panetta at Forward Operating Base Shukvani, Afghanistan March 14, 2012
March 15th, 2012
11:23 AM ET

Afghan Taliban suspend talks

By Wires Staff

The Afghan Taliban announced Thursday they have suspended a diplomatic office in Qatar intended for talks with the United States. The group cited what it described as the Americans' "alternating and ever-changing position" for the decision.

The Taliban had opened the office on January 3 "for the purposes of reaching an understanding with the international community and for addressing some specific issues with the American invaders after arriving at an agreement with the government of Qatar," the group said in a statement.

Thursday's announcement came shortly after U.S. officials said they had moved a U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 civilians out of Afghanistan and on the day that U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta was meeting in Kabul with President Hamid Karzai.

Preliminary talks "with the occupying enemy" had already begun over the exchange of prisoners, the Taliban said.

"The Americans initially agreed upon taking practical steps regarding the exchange of prisoners and to not oppose our political office, but with the passage of time, they turned their backs on their promises and started initiating baseless propaganda portraying the envoys of the Islamic Emirate as having commenced multilateral negotiations for solving the Afghan dilemma," it added.

The statement said that Karzai, whom the Taliban accuse of being a U.S. puppet, "falsely proclaimed that the Kabul administration and the Americans have jointly started peace talks with Taliban."

In their latest meeting, a U.S. representative presented a list of conditions that "were not only unacceptable but also in contradiction with the earlier agreed upon points," the statement said. "So it was due to their alternating and ever changing position that the Islamic Emirate was compelled to suspend all dialogue with the Americans. We must categorically state that the real source of obstacle in talks was the shaky, erratic and vague standpoint of the Americans; therefore all the responsibility for the halt also falls on their shoulders."

The statement added the Americans and Karzai were "postponing the core issues and are wasting time."

The Taliban said the decision is effective "from today onwards until the Americans clarify their stance on the issues concerned and until they show willingness in carrying out their promises instead of wasting time."

The Taliban described as "pointless" any discussion with the administration in Kabul. It blamed the presence of foreign forces in the nation for the "instability of the entire region."

There was no immediate reaction from Washington.

The initial talks with the Taliban were aimed at establishing what senior U.S. officials called "confidence-building measures" to lay the groundwork for negotiations between the Afghan government and the Taliban, with the United States possibly serving in a mediation role.

U.S. officials have been trying to jump-start peace talks between the Taliban and Afghan officials through discussions over the past year.

The process has been marred by dissatisfaction from Afghan government officials that they were not included at the start. Karzai's advisers have complained that U.S. officials were going behind Kabul's back in talking to the Taliban.

 CNN's Nick Paton Walsh and Sara Sidner contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Afghanistan • Karzai • Security Brief • Taliban
soundoff (13 Responses)
  1. yodacat

    The people who are with the Taliban they have no ideal what the God who made our world is about. I know we have people on the America side who do not believe either, God made the rule we all have to die in his time I wish people would let God take the lead instead of taking Gods law into their own hands, but this will never happen because there are people who think they are powerful who have a weapon all of them, there is not one person in the Taliban who believe they are powerful without a weapon, that just make them cowards!

    July 9, 2012 at 10:26 am | Reply
  2. Steffen

    Poor Hamid, indeed. I like your pull-out date of December 31, 2008... We're done in Afghanistan. Time to go home. Harper has us stuck in the mud for aehtonr few years, but that's not going to make a whit's worth of difference to this clusterfuck of hopeless incompetence and misguided intentions.

    May 21, 2012 at 10:04 am | Reply
  3. Capt. Obvious

    At least we aren't going to turn over any of their goon squad now.

    March 16, 2012 at 1:53 am | Reply
  4. Hahahahahahaha

    News flash! They never STARTED talks!!! Hahahahahahaha

    March 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Reply
  5. Bangash

    No doubt Taliban office in Qatar had been a ray of hope for Americans in Afghanistan to find safe way out of Afghan quagmire. Afghans will now see Taliban insurgency the only way to fight back these baby killers. Now Karzai and Mullah Umar being Afghans will be one against the aggressors and killers of Afghans. Vowwwww

    March 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  6. mipolitic

    the taliban halt talks , wow and that is news. this was a waste of time from the get go.

    guys with guns that sre thugs only understand one thing and that is overwhelming force.

    March 15, 2012 at 11:48 am | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.