Officials React to Marine Video
U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta
January 12th, 2012

Officials React to Marine Video

Officials in the United States and Afghanistan expressed shock and outrage Thursday regarding a video purporting to show a U.S. Marine sniper team urinating on dead bodies, possibly in Afghanistan.

Statement from Defense Secretary Leon Panetta:

I have seen the footage, and I find the behavior depicted in it utterly deplorable. I condemn it in the strongest possible terms. I have ordered the Marine Corps and ISAF Commander General John Allen to immediately and fully investigate the incident. This conduct is entirely inappropriate for members of the United States military and does not reflect the standards or values our armed forces are sworn to uphold. Those found to have engaged in such conduct will be held accountable to the fullest extent.

Statement from the Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James Amos:

"I have viewed an internet video that apparently depicts Marines desecrating several dead Taliban in Afghanistan. I want to be clear and unambiguous, the behavior depicted in the video is wholly inconsistent with the high standards of conduct and warrior ethos that we have demonstrated throughout our history. Accordingly, late yesterday I requested that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service pull together a team of their very best agents and immediately assign them responsibility to thoroughly investigate every aspect of the filmed event. Additionally, I am assigning a Marine General Officer and senior attorney, both with extensive combat experience, to head up an internal – Preliminary Inquiry – into the matter. Once the investigation and Preliminary Inquiry are complete and the facts have been determined, then the Marine Corps will take the appropriate next steps. Rest assured that the institution of the Marine Corps will not rest until the allegations and the events surrounding them have been resolved. We remain fully committed to upholding the Geneva Convention, the Laws of War, and our own core values."

ISAF Denounces Deplorable Act Portrayed In Video:

A video recently posted on a public website appears to show U.S. military personnel committing an inappropriate act with enemy corpses. This disrespectful act is inexplicable and not in keeping with the high moral standards we expect of coalition forces.

ISAF strongly condemns the actions depicted in the video, which appear to have been conducted by a small group of U.S. individuals, who apparently are no longer serving in Afghanistan.

Nevertheless, this behavior dishonors the sacrifices and core values of every service member representing the fifty nations of the coalition.

Therefore, a United States Criminal Investigatory agency has launched an investigation. It will be thorough and any individuals with confirmed

U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan Deplores Recent Video

The U.S. Embassy strongly condemns the actions depicted in the recent video which appears to show members of the U.S. military committing disrespectful acts with the corpses of insurgents. Such actions are reprehensible, dishonor the sacrifices of our military and the American people, and violate the core values of both our societies.

The Department of Defense has announced an investigation which will urgently determine the facts, and will ensure the punishment for those found guilty of wrongdoing.

Filed under: Afghanistan • Marines • Military • Panetta • Pentagon • Secretary of Defense
  1. design

What's up every buddy, it’s a great fun at at this place watching these funny YouTube movies at at this place, good stuff, thanks to admin design http://www.baytreerestaurant.com/index.php/member/7162/

February 28, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  2. fun pics

Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, quite great article.

November 26, 2012 at 2:54 am | Reply
  3. Concerned

There is a lot of emotion tied to this even. It is difficult to objectively consider the consequences of this within a fog of hate. Let's use Occam's razor here and just consider facts and not emotions:
    1. The soldiers in question "won" and killed the enemy in the field.
    2. Creating and posting an inflammatory video desecrating the corpses of their foes becomes the centerpiece of the next Taliban and al-Queda recruitment videos. This will put more enemies in the field for them and their brothers and sisters in arms to face soon.

That said the issue here is really that after winning a battle, these soldiers are now responsible for more enemies in the field and possibly indirectly responsible for the deaths of fellow soldiers as the result of their desire for additional revenge after having killed their opponents. Emotions aside, let me restate: These guys are helping recruit enemy combatants and keep current combatants in the filed. These combatants will continue to commit atrocities against civilians and may kill allied soldiers.

They have been trained to behave professionally in the filed and have very likely been appraised of the consequences of this behavior. Despite this, they would rather endanger their brothers and sisters than try to remain satisfied with simply killing their enemy. When more allied soldiers die in the field I wonder if they will consider whether or not they are partly to blame.

January 16, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • Iranacockdownmythroat

Concerned? Why?

January 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Reply
  4. Gary

Come on ... Let's not lose our heads over this. Give the guys some tough assignments to work off the error in judgement and apologize to whoever. It's the enemy ... they tried to kill us (our men), and they got pissed on instead. Oops! Disrespectful – yes. Criminal – no.

January 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  5. Jon

I will tell you this much, if I saw one of these Bas****s kill one of my own, pissing would have been just the start. I'd Chit in his beard, drag him around from behind a jeep and throw him over a cliff!!

January 16, 2012 at 9:11 am | Reply
  6. Sjoz

I don\'t see how pissing on people you just killed, murdered, wasted; Is much worse than taking their life in any stance. These figure heads just caw to distract from the first and foremost horrendous act that was just taken out before they started to defecate on the previously living. War is War is War, created by extremism; be it riches, religion, or hate. Orders are givin to those who need riches, power, and/or something to live for. Given by those who have riches, power, and/or something they live for. Keep the sheep weak and poor, grow a few into wolves, treat others as lions, and live like a pig. Makes me sick......

January 16, 2012 at 3:55 am | Reply
    • Stay Stupid The Zionists Like You Stupid

I know what I'm going to do:

I'm going to give all my money to the zionists.

Then, when the dirty evil zionists start WW3, I am going to demand my children join the U.S. Army and go fight the Arabs and Iranians for the devil worshiping zionists. I will want them to die for the zionists, since our traitor zionist controlled Congress will send thousands of our armed forces into the Middle East to die, and I will want my children to be among the glorious American dead. And when my children come back in a coffin, I will tell anyone who will listen, my children died for a good cause – defending the murdering lying zionists so they can continue killing innocent women and children while stealing more Arab land.

Plus, I will stay in debt and be a good goym – I'll live to support the zionists in apartheid racist israel.

I will stay stupid since that is how the zionists like their goym.

January 16, 2012 at 8:55 am | Reply
      • Paula Griffin

Such anger can't be part of a happy life. I hope that you're able to acquire the wisdom necessary to manage your anger and enjoy whatever life you may have remaining.

January 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  7. Tariq

For this insult America will burn!! ALLAHU AKBAR!!

January 15, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
    • Jon

America just may indeed burn but if you read the Bible and not that Instruction to murder book y'all read, you would know that in the end you lose and Israel wins cause were going to help them put an end to your shenanigans.

January 16, 2012 at 9:16 am | Reply
      • Iranacockdownmythroat

Love it!

January 16, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
      • Nina

Hi, i was just wondering when is the best time to take these pcorudts, eg. before food in morning and evening or after food?i have purchased both items and just starting to take them. just want to make sure i get the most out of them which ever way is best to take them. thank you

August 3, 2012 at 5:25 am |
    • Gary

That's funny! HaHa! Allah who? Oh yes ... the murdering god (notice little g) of Islam.

January 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  8. Stryker Brigade Grunt

I dont want to see any of You be pussies. We need to have someone to go after all our enemies and ruthlessly kill them. I enjoy my job and killing is awsome whenever the opportunity arises. The great thing about serving in the armed services is that we are paid to kill.

January 15, 2012 at 11:17 am | Reply
    • Jon

Yeah buddy!!!! Very well said! Lets go, Im ready!

January 16, 2012 at 9:17 am | Reply
  9. Skorpio

The response would've been worse if these marines had THREATENED to burn the Quran.

January 15, 2012 at 10:34 am | Reply
  10. MaenghoRVN

Tsk, tsk..they cluck their tongues while dining at Washinton's finest restaurants, sliding into their personal limos, thumping their chests at carefully arranged press conferences to make the 6 o'clock news...they tell us they're so very outraged at the Marines videotaped urinating on dead enemy soldiers in Afghanistan. Were those Jarheads stupid? Yes. But to the high and mighty take a minute, think about this: entering a nightmarish landscape as a 19-year-old kid, a place where temporary insanity will get you past the toughest days, where the most important thing you will do is concentrate on breathing in, breathing out, and watching out for your fellow grunts in front of you, behind you, to the left, to the right...consider this also, you decision-makers up on the Potomac...when was the last time you served multiple tours in a combat zone, were so scared you rattled inside your head...exhausted...smelling like a dog...not knowing if your next step will be your last. The "Laws of War" - what a crock. We are/were trained to hate the "enemy" and to kill, or "waste" them - Hussein or Ho. Charge up that hill, lads and ladies, and make certain your emotions are numbed, dehumanize them with vile names, much as we did with "gooks" or "dinks." It makes it easier. And, oh ye with the manicured fingernails, do you know that once you get on that Freedom Bird pointed toward home, you cannot just turn off, like a light switch, those feelings that will begin to catch up with you, in your darkest nights. Can you, please, discover some way to empathize with with these grunts...leave them alone. It is they who are doing your dirty work. .

January 15, 2012 at 4:44 am | Reply
    • Informed

Thanks for your honesty.

US military is not what many think or hope it is.

This dirty work that dehumanizes people need to stop.

People need to ask when was the last time the US military was involved in a war defending its OWN borders????

These wars are uncivilized, brutal, inhumane, and primitive no matter how high in the sky you can shoot someone to pieces with great precision.

January 15, 2012 at 9:58 am | Reply
      • Jon

You got my vote!

January 16, 2012 at 9:32 am |
    • Cindi

I really appreciate your comment MaenghoRVN ! I almost think that my own son would write a comment like yours. But you did forget to mention the nightmares that soldiers in combat have, especially when they come back home from Afghanistan. They scream out loud in their sleep, I mean really loud, under their sweat soaked sheets and blankets. It's so terrifying to hear. My son just came home from Afghanistan. You are so right, SOLDIERS DO ALL OF THE DIRTY WORK !

January 15, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
      • Jon

Cindi, May God bless you and your family especially your son. My nephew was killed on the Pakistani/Afghanistan boared in October. Tell your son thank you. Amen

January 16, 2012 at 9:34 am |
      • Informerd

Cindi,

Tell your son to wake up.

There is no justification for what they are doing over there. There are so many violations, so many wrongs, so many innocent lives lost for no good reason. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Your son is not defending his country. He is in another country! That's why what they do becomes dirty.

The last poll run in Afghanistan about 9-11 revealed that over 90% never of it. Never. Yet they are punished for it.

This is wrong, unjust and can't be looked at as anything but naked imperialism, American version.

January 23, 2012 at 11:55 am |
      • Cindi

Informerd, It's apparent that you do not understand the difference between the words, Terrorism and Naked Imperialism. Every soldier that is fighting in Afghanistan, in which includes all coalition troops, are not there fighting for naked imperialism. There are literally dozens of other countries in Afghanistan besides the US. It appears that you hold no knowledge of what global terrorism is-- at all. With that being said, you are the one who really needs to wake up !

January 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
      • Informerd

Cindi,

You are sadly repeating the official propaganda without challenging it. What is global terrorism? it is an excuse to justify waging war outside your borders on other weaker nations in order to project your power. You said there are other nations in Afghanistan, well what are they? the biggest countries in the world (which almost make up 1/2 of the planet) are not taking part of this naked imperialism: India and China. The countries who are there have done so because of political pressure and not because their citizens support this type of imperialism. A number of European countries who are taking part of this have refused to take combatant roles.

The US military has arrested a 15 years old child in Afghanistan and imprisoned him in Guantanamo with no trial or charge for years. And he is not the only the child getting locked up in a military prison run outside the law and in gross violation of international law and basic human rights.

This is what your son is fighting for? global terrorism?

It is global imperialism. It is just that a backward poor defenseless country like Afghanistan can't defend its borders against aggression.

January 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
      • Cindi

You know, it is apparent that Infomred is very uneducated. From reading your comments Informerd, it's a dead give away that you are NOT even an American.

January 25, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
      • Informed

Cindi,

You are only serving the interests of injustice by defending the policies of what has become a violent aggressive imperialist government that legalized torture and violated international laws with impunity. Only a fool would claim that fighting in Afghanistan against the native Afghans is "fighting for their country".

Tell me when was the last time the US army defended the actual borders of the US???

It is very odd for many us to understand why Americans behave like sheep-citizens by obeying the orders of war without questioning them.

Where is dissent in America? It pretty much doesn't exist. The only dissent that there is is against giving the poor a decent healthcare coverage.

January 25, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • humanzee

I do so love it whenever someone nails it quite in the Bullseye manner as did MaenghoRVN!! . . . . and yes indeed, let the real criminals, who are in Washington, not forget - it is the young, pissing men " who are doing your dirty work". Be thankful, be grateful, be fucking humble!!

January 16, 2012 at 12:06 am | Reply
    • Jon

Can not be said any better!!!

January 16, 2012 at 9:30 am | Reply
  11. BETSEY OLSON

I completely concur with this blog from Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.), a former Army lieutenant colonel, commenting on the Marines' video:

“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through M...ogadishu. Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater ...s...ecurity contractors being killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah. “All these over-emotional pundits and armchair quarterbacks need to chill. Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq? “The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment), place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps Hymn without a teleprompter. As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is hell.”

January 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Reply
    • Carolina

Posted on Dammit. I have long been convinced, for roesans unknown to me, that Rumours' came out in 1975, the year that I was born. Kind of disappointed to realize I was wrong about that.Oh, well, I've still got Born to Run.'Love your discussion of the album, totally agreed. There are some great singles ( Dreams is pretty close to a perfect song for me), but put together it's greater than the sum of its parts.I love your music writing, I hope to see more of these!

August 1, 2012 at 5:59 am | Reply
  12. pugsly

knowing what muslims have done to U.S. military(dead or alive) i would have taken a nasty DUMP on these guys and wiped myself with their koran

January 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • Informed

The US military is an imperialist army that invades, bombs and murders other people in their own countries, 5000 miles away from their homes.

This despicable behavior that is videotaped only reveals the true character of this brutal barbaric and racist army of imperialism.

Enough with the propaganda. Everyone else in the world knows what the napalm and agent bombers stand for.

The only reason this continues with impunity is only because the imperialists have bigger weapons. One day China is going to put this imperialist army BACK To its borders.

Wait until China teach you what you've doing to others with impunity. Just wait.

January 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Reply
      • Jon

Do the math informed. We got videos of pissing on your people. You got videos of cutting the heads off young men in America. I think yours is 100% worse Dic*head. You will get yours soon enough. China? they want your oil retard, there setting your a** up. There coming for you not us, they know better. Geez....ever watch the news much?

January 16, 2012 at 9:56 am |
  13. Emperor Norton

All this does is provide the enemy with more anti-American propaganda, ready to go. Way to win some hearts and minds, guys.

January 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Reply
    • moas786

the few the proud the marines...wow nice christian act guys.

January 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Reply
    • us people

Stop using these marines as an example to show how morale the US is. And why are we not giving the insurgents that burn and drag US bodies through the streets the same air time. Let's be upset about that if you want to be upset about something.

January 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Reply
      • pianomanjason

dont blame the corps!!!! they are doing their job!!!! Blame washington and the pharms who benefit from the war. As many past presidents needed an incident to wage war, GWB got his. We were already occupying the middle east, because american elite had biz interests. Saggy white balls tell leatherneck where to go and what to do. Marines risk their lives while those that send them just risk your tax dollars. Spoils of war ever make it back into common citizens hands? no. gas and prescription drugs continue to cost more, because the dollar is fake, our government's allegence is fake. americas two largest exports are debt and veterans. wake up folks/prisoners. Dont remain ignorant, turn off your zionist TV, dont read the newspapers, for the media lies to you. remove all 545 members of the FEDeral gov, and replace them with ordinary citizens w net worths under 250k and all of this will change........or wait around until the revolution.

May 27, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Informed

The Imperialist US is occupying Afghanistan against the wish of its people, forcefully and by the use of military force.

What more anti-American propaganda do you need on top of this?

US naked aggression and their disregard for the lives of others is unparalleled.

The only difference is that Taliban doesn't have a sophisticated PR machine. Brutality wise, the US army bombed more weddings and even funerals in Afghanistan than Taliban could have dreamed off.

The emperor has no clothes.

January 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  14. Kavin

The soldiers were wrong to do what they did but war changes people. I'm so tired of everyone expecting the US to stay be so concerned with morality when our enemies are beheading people on video and dragging corpses through the streets. These guys made a mistake but they have put their lives on the line for this country and should not be prosecuted for their actions.

January 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Reply
    • Michelle

You dont get to make excuses if you wear the uniform of the United States of America. Not acceptable or excusable. Dont they screen recruits anymore? Yes, all these 10 years of various ground wars have changed and also killed and maimed an entire generation. Thats the big picture. The little picture is, these Marines are not MY heroes.

January 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Reply
      • Informed

With all due respect Michelle, the marines have always done very awful things, from napalm, agent orange, to torturing people, and laughing at people on the ground while shooting them like animals.

The US army has committed all kind of horrible crimes known to mankind including nuking two CIVILIAN cities to the ground.

When was the last time the US army was defending the borders of the US?????? WHEN? It is always killing other people in their own countries.

This is not an army of honor.

Stop watching the propaganda of hollywood movies.

January 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
      • humanzee

Horrid & sickening, all of it. When have our adversaries ever done anything less harsh, less brutal, less savage, less degrading to the humanity of all involved?

From the tomes of historical evidence available, it would appear this kind of depraved behavior is pretty much the default mode under wartime conditions.

But why? I don't know - maybe some evolutionary, biological anthropologist types might have some useful suggestions to offer, eh?

January 15, 2012 at 2:53 pm |
  15. michaelfury

Aw c'mon, Mr. Secretary. Is that the best your Pentagon flacks could come up with? Where's the plausible deniability?

Expected something like: "After reviewing the video, it is clear the US combatants depicted were attempting to extinguish burning clothing of enemy wounded so medical attention could be provided in a timely manner. Their resourceful improvisation may well have saved lives."

January 13, 2012 at 7:53 am | Reply
    • Lorri

It figures an article like this would bring out all the anti – American slugs........ slide back under your rock.

January 13, 2012 at 11:43 am | Reply
    • humanzee

michaelfury speaketh words wise, wonderful and witty, to be sure. His phrasing of the issue should be plainly & simply stated as the U.S. official response, puncuated with a forceful "The End" at the conclusion - followed by "Next topic, please?".

January 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  16. rk from NY

hey..this is war... what do you expect..??? and US marines (who bring dollars to these beggars) peeing on terrorists is worse than taliban beheading live people on tv..??? really..?? and taliban better worry about where to hide when they see a drone rather than being peed upon...!!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Reply
  17. Informed

This is not an isolated event. These leaked videos are just the tip of the ice-berg. Every time, some shocking photo or video leaks, the Pentagon and its propagandists claim that this is a against its "core values". What values are exactly those? bombing and napalming other countries into submission??

American cowboy-mentality soldiers are known to be ruthless (killing unarmed people from the sky while laughing at them like we saw in the video), brutal (use of missiles against people and heavy caliber weapons against opponents) and most importantly they go through an elaborate brainwashing process that dehumanizes their enemy to the point that they treat them worst than animals.

The only honorable section of the US military is their doctors. The rest is a bunch of mad killers who are eager to murder other people in other countries for no good reason and feel honored to do so! sick.

January 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Reply
    • Buzzer

"Un" Informed or a troll, which one are you? These are the only two creditable answers relating to you moronic and/or dishonest post.

January 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Reply
  18. Vince

If you want to see the state of the thought processes in the mind of the average Republican, please find this equivalent story over on the Fox News site and read the comments section there.

Obviously, thought yes "war is war", no rational human being could ever condone this behavior and even go as far as enjoying it ... but read those comments and I wonder.

I just don't get it.

January 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  19. FREEMKULTRAND BRAINELEKTRODE4YA

MILLIONS TO BE ASSASSINATED FOR THE SAKE OF $$$ LIABILITIES(mk-ultra, chip implants, electroshocks etc. performed on them) AND NEW WORLD ORDER(multiculturalism = terrorism) POLITICAL AGENDA KNOWN AS "YOU ARE NEXT"(financial liabilities are 2 expensive for the government and it is cheaper to get read of you instead) !!! IF YOU WERE TREATED WITH ELECTROSHOCKS OR DRUGS USED FOR WIPING OUT MEMORY(numerous Americans and Europeans were and are) AFTER ENDURING FORCED CHIP IMPLANTS(or to retard individual = also how homeless people are produced), YOU ARE SCHEDULED NEXT !!!

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT ORWELLIAN UNITED STATES CONGRESS(USSR#2 which consists of lawyers or what are liars and physicians...lawyers, so crime per physicians can get away with it) AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS WORLDWIDE ARE SOOO BUSY WITH WHEN PLAYING/CLOWNING(acting) IN FRONT OF CAMERAS ONLY HOW SOMETHING HAVE TO BE DONE(deliberately omitting/delaying facts of genocide as seen on this complain) !!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

ABDUCTIONS / FORCED BRAIN ELECTRODE/CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship of genocide ever !!!)!!
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw&w=640&h=360]
    OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! EXILING WHITES(US citizens) WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FREE !!!

January 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Reply
    • Kevlar

Wow, what a psycho. Seriously you think you have been singled out by the U.S. gov't. Why, for what purpose would tax dollars be wasted to single you out. You are a nut case with severe psychological disabilities. Did you ever once think all this happened just because you suck, that your sorry attitude towards Americans is why Americans don't want you here. Why would you come here in the first place if you think it sucks so bad.

January 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  20. Norris

A bunch of crap! A good way for the military to recieve more disrespect. Every time something bad happens in our military they say it`s only these few. these few are building up more and more all the time. My 11 year old was thinking real strong about joining. Until he seen this. This happen in another country, maybe we should let them deal with these few?

January 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
    • Buzzer

I guess this most certainly goes for the idea of becoming a police officer, coach, teacher etc... as well correct? Of the THOUSANDS of American servicemen and women serving, please list the # "incidents" that are similar to this and get back to me with a straight face that this is "common place". Its your job to "educate" you boy and let him know that this is not "typical" and that if this bothers him then OUTSTANDING...deciding not to join does not make the situation "better"...maybe you should ask him what are YOU going to do about it to make it better?

January 12, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  21. JustTrying

Just trying to clean things up a bit. The whole country could use a little air freshening.

January 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
  22. Lorri

If this is true, it is not right what was done to these bodies. However, keep in mind that a week, a day, or even an hour before this happened these Marines probably witnessed their fellow Marines killed. Or worse witnessed Afghani children step on IED's and get blown in to pieces. They may have witnessed the brutal beating of a woman and were instructed not to intervene because that would be interfering with their culture. If pissing on their soldiers dead bodies are the worst they've done then who cares!

January 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Reply
    • Buzzer

As an active duty member USAF for 15 years, I've seen the sacrifice that the VAST majority of our military (all branches) have done with HONOR, regardless of what the other side has "pulled". How exactly did you feel when the burnt bodies of U.S. Contractors back in Falluja in 2004 were dragged through the streets and hung over a bridge or back in 1993 when a mob dragged an American soldier throught the streets of Mogadisu in Somalia? Don't make EXCUSES for this juvenile behavior. I'm glad you're not in MY military (I know you're not), because if you would have made this comment supporting their actions and I would have witnessed it your !@s would have been mine and you would've been sent home so fast from the AOR and stripes pulled you wouldn't know what hit you. If you would have carried out the actions, you'd have been a civilian with a dishonerable discharge and the ENTIRE military community would know your name.

January 12, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Reply
      • The unknown

Buzzer, I noticed how you had said that you " seen " scarifice, in which implies to me that you have only " seen " combat on tv for the past 15 years of your air force career. You must be the wanna be soldier whose in it for the money. You know nothing about scarifce, but oh so ready to curse the marines ! You sound exactly like a paper pusher.

January 13, 2012 at 11:00 am |
      • Lorri

Looking at the comments this "Buzzer" has made....... I'm thinking he is not now nor has he ever been in any kind of Military, not American anyway. I wasn't making excuses for these Marines. They do not need anyone to make excuses for them. If they did this they will step up and deal with the consequences whether they be the right consequences or not.

January 13, 2012 at 11:40 am |
      • Buzzer

Unknown and Lorri-
        Countless deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan...DIRECTLY involved in coordinating CAS for Soldiers and Marines. More than 3 years of my life deployed. OPERATION SOUTHERN and NORTHERN WATCH, ALLIED FORCE and post 9/11 starting with 4 months in Afghanistan with Tora Bora and OPERATION ANACONDA (Objective Remington with the 101st Airborne and SOCOM...does the "Whales Back" ring a bell, you'd know if you had EVER deployed to Afghanistan)...do your research on these operations...No, "Unknown" I have been in "combat", and I BUSTED MY ASS doing what I could to best of my ability to provide the cover to Soldiers, and Marines that needed it, and no "Unknown" I wasn't "cursing the Marines" I was chewing the asses of the specific dumb fucks that didn't have the judgement God gave a goat to know that in doing this and video taping it did NOTHING but put Marines, myself and other fellow servicemen and women in harms way for NO GOOD REASON. "Lorri", am I in the military? Take your foot and insert mouth. Excuses? You may not have been making excuses, but you need to start "caring" about that these "actions", they may very well cost American lives...to the BOTH of you this conversation about "sacrifice" and military "experience" is over.

January 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  23. cindy

War messes people up.

January 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Reply
    • WJ

My father came home from Korea. This would have been his birthday today. Before he died, he told me that he thought being in Korea messed him up from what he saw.
      Personally, this is war folks! No business trying to make people "feel good" or going after our soldiers. Frankly, I wish they were here, maybe NDAA wouldn't have passed. It's a shame yes, War is Terrible, it is what it is. I would have done the same thing!

January 12, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  24. ALLAMERICAN

Dead person(s) need full respect as they can no longer defend themselves. Military courts will do what they can to punish bad apples, however what they really did will harm this coutry's image, millitary, and its people. Bad images stay forever in people's mind. These soldiers should also be prosecuted outside of military courts for destrying our image and values.

January 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    • Paula Griffin

Well said. It's encouraging to see that some honor remains in our country.

January 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  25. cindy

I don't see this as being nearly as bad as some the atrocities commited by U.S. soldiers during previous wars. Look at WWII and Vietnam. Torture, rape, etc. All done by U.S. Marines.

January 12, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • solo

these thing happen. its not justified but it happens. if they where to kill us there is no telling what they would do to our bodies.

January 12, 2012 at 11:51 am | Reply
    • WAJ

if you were not there you don't know what happened, you can not understand the mindset until you have walked in there shoes.

January 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Reply