Confessions of a private security contractor
December 27th, 2011

Confessions of a private security contractor

by Suzanne Kelly

"There are a lot of assumptions about contractors, and a lot of the assumptions are wrong." Those are the words of a private security contractor who asked to be referred to only as "Lloyd" for this story, because like most of his colleagues he is not authorized to speak to the media.

By Lloyd's count, he has spent some 1,000 days working in Afghanistan in the past four years. He, like many other well-trained military men, decided to leave his position as a Navy SEAL and take his chances finding employment in one of the hot spots around the world where highly skilled contractors were well-paid, and in demand.

Very few people outside the contracting industry really understood just what a private security contractor did before March 31, 2004. That was the day four American security contractors accompanying a shipment of kitchen equipment through Iraq were ambushed, killed, set on fire, dragged through the streets, and hung from a bridge before a cheering crowd in the city of Fallujah.

As shock subsided, questions arose. Who were these American men? If they weren't members of the military, what were they doing in one of the most volatile regions of Iraq?

All four men were private security contractors working for a company called Blackwater. At the time the company, like many others, was just getting on its feet as U.S. demand for security services skyrocketed. The government needed armed, well-trained security personnel in hostile territories. The new push started when the United States went to war in a CIA-led operation in Afghanistan in 2001. e CIA's early advance teams were not fully prepared for the pace of their own success. They quickly needed makeshift facilities to hold hostile enemy combatants and establish secure operating bases. The military wasn't yet in a position to help, so the CIA hired Blackwater.

It was a similar story when the U.S. invaded Iraq in 2003. A heavy presence of diplomats and reconstruction experts working in a hostile area meant they needed to be protected. Blackwater won a part of the contract to provide security services in the country. But being a private security contractor was a shady business, if not in the "legal" sense, in the "keeping off the radar" sense. Many of the contracts that were granted to companies such as Blackwater included clauses that severely limited the companies' ability to talk to members of the media. Contracting was, by the design of the U.S. government, secretive.

It was also designed to be nothing more than a cost-saving, stopgap measure. But as U.S. troops leave Iraq, there is an army of contractors staying behind, and 5,000 of them will be providing security services.

A contractor's experiences often don't draw a great deal of attention, unless someone is kidnapped, or has done something wrong. As Congress began to investigate the government's use of contractors several years ago, the issues that drew the most attention were the lack of clear rules governing contractors, and just how much money they were being paid. While it's true that money has always been a big draw, there are other parts of the job and lifestyle that rarely get reported.

"I remember when I got out of the military and took my first job with Blackwater," says Lloyd, "I thought I was going to be a millionaire, but after working five years in contracting, I can tell you I was chasing a carrot the whole time."

At the height of the boom in the years following the start of the Iraq war, private security contractors with military or law enforcement experience could make upwards of $750 a day. They would work for several months at a time and then come home before heading off on the next assignment. Many of the jobs didn't come with life insurance policies or medical coverage for their families back home.

"Layoffs and breaks between deployments have all affected my financial progress," says Lloyd. "It's two steps forward and one step back." He has a wife back home who is awaiting the birth of the couple's first child and says he worries because he has no pension. He reports that he has $30,000 in a 401(k) and another $15,000 in A Roth IRA. It's nowhere near the million he thought he would earn.

Another contractor, who worked for two of the larger private security companies before finding an office job back home, says it was a sense of duty after 9/11 that prompted him to leave his job as a SWAT team officer and go overseas. But the money wasn't bad, either.

"I got in so early that when I got into it the money was good," says Carter, who doesn't want to use his real name out of fear that he will have trouble getting hired for another contract if anyone knows he's spoken with CNN. "We were making $700 – $750 a day regardless of the contract. Some paid higher, some paid lower, but over time the company started paying less. They diluted the pool of skills. They lowered the qualifications 'cause they needed people. Six hundred dollars a day - pay dramatically dropped, then new companies came in - $500 day and it went from there."

Was it worth the money? "I had spent five months not eating, not sleeping, because you'd have death missions, seeing people get blown up all around me, going on dangerous missions where I could have died," says Carter. "I had so many close calls when we should have been killed, dozens of times. Small arms fire, some RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades), some grenade attacks on the vehicles. It didn't happen daily, but it was dangerous."

"I have even had people tell me that I'm not like they are, because I'm a contractor," said Lloyd. "As if a rocket attack isn't just as stressful for me as it is for them, because I make "so much money.'" As if (post-traumatic stress disorder) is only for soldiers and combat veterans, because I make so much money that I have nothing to be stressed about."

Like many private security contractors working in Iraq and Afghanistan, Carter moved between contracts, sometimes working on CIA tasks and sometimes on DEA contracts. For a while, he provided base security at one of the most sensitive CIA bases in the region. On other contracts, he often had to accompany reconstruction officials to meetings with Iraqi counterparts.

Carter recalls one night where he believed that there was a good chance that he wouldn't go home to his wife again.

"Here I am sweating bullets because I know the next day I have to take someone to a dangerous neighborhood, and it's me and another guy protecting someone and I'm scared to death."

"I had no benefits, no veterans services, no college fund, no disability insurance. There were some limited benefits from the company, but we got no veteran's credit. That was a big downside. We were getting murdered on medical insurance. Couldn't get any life insurance back then," recalls Carter.

There were contractors in the early days who saved up money, put their kids through college, or paid off the mortgage, and came home. It wasn't the kind of job that many people took on thinking they could do it for 10 years. But there was another big drawback once they were home: finding a job to match their skill set wasn't easy.

"I didn't bring home one skill I could use," says Carter, who has been home for three years now but is thinking seriously about going back.

"I still stay in touch with all of my friends who are deployed. Every day they are a part of something that matters. Every day, I sit behind a desk and do nothing. I used to be working along the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan doing operations that the military wouldn't do - and now I come home and I have to answer to some boob about what I'm doing. It's such an emotional and mental letdown. I'm literally rotting," says Carter.

But if he went back now, depending on where he went, there could be even more dangers. The U.S. is still negotiating with the Iraqi government about whether U.S. contractors will be granted any diplomatic protections under Iraqi law. It's been a point of contention since Blackwater guards shot and killed 17 Iraqis in a Baghdad traffic circle in 2007. Given the unwelcoming position of the Iraqi government toward U.S. contractors in light of that shooting, it's another risk worth weighing before packing the duffel bag.

Filed under: 10 years of war • Afghanistan • Contractors
  1. neryl400

Reblogged this on Mission Focused and commented:
    As someone who has now written a book about my life as a Security Contractor in Iraq, it's alway interesting for me to hear someone else's story. A man named 'Lloyd' tells of his experiences in Afghanistan, and they are similar to a lot of other contractors in the business. The job is tough, it doesn't always pay well, and there can be last memories that can keep you awake at night.

Unlike a soldier, a contractor will never be thanked for the job they do, even though the contracts they pick up are often on behalf of their governments. Perhaps if the company's that won these contracts were more closely regulated and scrutinised, then maybe these men and women would not be shunned for the job they do?

Enjoy Lloyd's story.

May 19, 2014 at 3:06 am | Reply
  2. Ray Zamfir

Doing a Job as a Security Guard is a tough and hard job to do.You must be physically and mentally fit for that job. Moreover, you must be disciplined and well mannered to deal in the Society. HIre a guard who have experience of this job of many years so that you can feel free and safe in his shadow.
    Construction Security London

February 6, 2014 at 5:05 am | Reply
  3. securitycompaniesin

i have a good information about the Security Contractor. According to me Security guard's Confesses to provide the Security among the people.
    Executive Security Miami

January 13, 2014 at 3:05 am | Reply
    • Mazhar Shahzad

i need help.i have experience in security guard.2 years in dubai.

March 6, 2014 at 3:45 am | Reply
  4. Charlotte Poteet

Wherever you go, I will adhere to...Congrats!!!!

January 4, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  5. andrew stuart

I loved reading this piece! Well written! :)

andrew
    kitchen remodeler college station

August 1, 2013 at 6:33 am | Reply
  6. soy candle

You made various nice points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most people will go along with with your blog. soy candle http://scentunikue.com

June 14, 2013 at 9:30 am | Reply
  7. Glory

Outstanding job again.
    Thanks.

June 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Reply
  8. Tam

Useful write up.
    You constantly produce the ideal content and Confessions of a private security contractor – CNN Security Clearance is no different

June 8, 2013 at 3:51 am | Reply
  9. website shopping

finally i found someone who knows how to provide relevant information on the topic i have been searching for? thanks, at last i can study with pleasure.. website shopping http://24x7shop.co.uk

March 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  10. diet nutrition weight loss

So many population are certainly struggling and as you can see by this website, I KNOW near are A LOT of scams out there. I have been searching for a way to beyond doubt help and recently bring into being a true ZERO out of sack cost predetermine that WORKS....Like This one..Check it out now !

February 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Reply
    • MIke

diet nutrition weight loss.....would like to see what you have to offer to helps us...send me more info..thanks !

February 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Reply
  11. Scott

I planned on a one-year tour with Dyncorp as a police mentor, then out. I've spent a total of three years (5 contracts) in Afghanistan. I would argue with anyone who generalizes and says that cops don't make good team members. To be sure, there are plenty of former and current public safety/law enforcement members who should not be there for either incompetence or simple cultural insensitivity; however the same can be said for some former military, yes, even SEALS and other SF. I worked with many solid men and women from all backgrounds, but my last gig was providing protection to the US Army Corps of Engineers. A former SEAL had a ND (negligent discharge) in the barracks; being buddies with the PM (program manager (another incompetent who was promoted above his abilities)) allowed him to remain when others would be summarily dismissed. Another former member of our military had the habit of singing show tunes in a high-pitched woman's voice in the halls. Professionalism isn't decided by a person's background, education or experience.

February 1, 2013 at 11:18 am | Reply
    • David

Scott,
      Hey i read your post and would like to speak with you a bit more in-depth about you time spent over there. i am looking to go over on a contract and i am just trying to obtain some more information on conditions and other companies there. I am a law enforcement officers and prior military guy. please shot me an email if you would. Thanks so much

March 21, 2013 at 9:52 am | Reply
  12. China Hood

Greetings from California! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great site! China Hood http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 5:12 am | Reply
  13. Police Blog

I was very pleased to find this great site. I wanted to thank you for ones time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it and i also have you bookmarked to look at new things on your website.

November 26, 2012 at 4:39 am | Reply
  14. Samsung Galaxy S3 trotz Schufa

Wonderful work! That is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared around the web. Shame on Google for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and discuss with my web site . Thank you =)

September 18, 2012 at 8:52 am | Reply
  15. Scentsy,Scentsy Candles,Scentsy Wickless Candles,Start a Candle Party,Host a Candle Party,Host a Scentsy Party,Host a Scentsy Home Party,Host a Scentsy Tote Bag Party,Host a Scentsy Book Party,Host a Scentsy Catalog Party,Host a Catalog Party,Host a Baske

Cheers!

June 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Reply
  16. cynthiaalexander493

I would be supportive on all of your articles and blogs because they are just upto the mark and You completely match our expectation and

the variety of our information. emttrainings.com

May 15, 2012 at 3:45 am | Reply
    • Raj

Well, war in time, was getting more clmopex. So there may not be the opportunities to get it so often know, as there were years and years ago. for people got the medal of honor in the Civil War, they had to go above there duties, but today, that is required of you. Today you have to do something EXTREMELY GREAT to get the MOH.we are no getting more conservative, it is just, war is not like it used to be. With tactics, and technology, war is not like it was, so getting the medal of honor today, is not the same as getting it in the civil war.In the civil war, you might get the medal of honor for sneaking into enemy territory. but today, that is a common thing to do , so it is not right to just award them this award. as War advances ,. the harder it will; be to get the MOH.Was this answer helpful?

October 11, 2012 at 3:58 am | Reply
  17. Barry

Everybody needs to relax this company doesnt even throw that type of money around now to their security contractors. My brother works for Academi now and he is only making 70,000 for 344 days over sea's in Afghanistan. His job title is "Sergeant of the Guard" or some shit. So ya people thats it, 70k for 344 days in a shithole country. The days of 150k + in Iraq are over.

May 15, 2012 at 2:09 am | Reply
    • John

Academi still has jobs that pay 550 a day and up. Guard like you brother is doing is for people with minimal qualifications hence the low pay.

December 26, 2013 at 4:07 am | Reply
  18. Confessions

Great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll be updating the post text and be sure to include it up there, thanks.

May 10, 2012 at 7:57 am | Reply
  19. sue

My husband wants to join Academi as a combat medic. He has no experience, but will begin emt training this summer and hoping he will be accepted. His father already works for this company and has already advised him on want to do. How hard is it to get it?

March 15, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Reply
    • Jay

Sue,

If his father already works for that company why not ask him? By the time your husband receives the qualifications (EMT-I or P) and experience, we're talking at least a year or maybe 2. And even then he'll be competing against medics with combat experience. I'd definitely tell him to not quit his day job in the hope that he'll be working as a security contractor. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't quit my day job to work as a security contractor these days. The pay is way down and there are no bennies.

May 15, 2012 at 4:50 am | Reply
      • Barry

Jay is right, those big pay days are slowly going away. Full time guards are only bringing in 60 to 70k for a year straight, and cooks are doing around $300+ a day. When you really factor in being away from home, hazardous duty, no benifits, its really not what people think. The only financial upside is that while you are down there, you really can't spend money on anything. However you are working 12 hour days for 6 to 7 days a week. So Let me ask you this, what if you just stayed state side and worked an extra parttime job ? You still get to come home in a nice bed at night, and you can still see loved ones and friends. Sure its not tax free, but i guess thats a choice we all have to make.
        Ive been to Afghanistan already and ive talked to alot of people. I think its going to turn into a situation where the war slowly fades away, but the SOF community will remain in pockets along with contractors. However in order to be a contractor then, you are going to be competing with a pool of SF, SEALs, Rangers, and so on. Even if you wanted to work as a medic, you got alot of SOCOM medics and even your line medics 68w's and corpmen will land the gigs. The key thing is they all will probably have security clearances too.

May 15, 2012 at 11:23 am |
    • TJ MacNab

All I can say is it is not worth the money or risk. 8 years SOAR then another 8 as a PMC. Some of us made incredible money and I was one of those lucky one. Lucky ...... Yah that is a load of crap, Almost 6 years out of the last 8 deployed, take out 6 months after getting clipped and what do I have today ? The money sure as hell has not bought happiness. Two failed relationships and now working on the third. Once you are in it so hard to get out.
      I hate snivellers though. Life is what it is, suck it up and soldier on.

October 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Reply
      • Shelley

I am so sorry to hear that your relationships failed due to your career, that should never happen. :-( Good luck in this one.

July 28, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
      • Bird

Some relationships are more enduring than others. You have people that are always with you.

July 26, 2014 at 7:26 am |
  20. Jay

"We were making $700 – $750 a day regardless of the contract. Some paid higher, some paid lower, but over time the company started paying less. They diluted the pool of skills. They lowered the qualifications 'cause they needed people. Six hundred dollars a day – pay dramatically dropped, then new companies came in – $500 day and it went from there."

Hahahaha a COP making mention that they started "diluting the pool"? Am I in the f**king twilight zone here? Hiring COPS to go into Iraq and Afghanistan was biggest mistake these companies made! Nothing in the US law enforcement skill set prepared these guys for work in combat zones. Sorry, but the reason the 'pools were diluted' was YOU.

February 15, 2012 at 1:47 am | Reply
    • Operator

I am sure half of you turds that are spitting bullshit about "honor" have never served at all.. Just a bunch of suits sitting behind a computer like you know everthing.. What is funny is that most contractors are FORMER military and a lot are SF guys who have already served and now want to make money for whatever the reason, in the end it's none of your GD business.. Stupid people, it is you that I hate risking my life for!

May 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Reply
      • Jay

And you sent this reply to me why? I've BTDT, that's why, from experience, I think this article is a joke. Cops should never be in IQ/AF, let alone accusing Military guys of 'diluting the pool' as it pertains to the skill of contractors.

May 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
      • kwg

wish there was a like button for this comment!!!!!!!!!!!

May 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
      • Bill; Ex British Infantry.

Your risking it for yourself and the money mate. Don't try to kid us.
        You want to do it.......then do it. If not then get out.

Now imployed in the oil indistry. Big money, benefits and penstion. ;-]

June 23, 2012 at 5:16 am |
    • Circiut

What you're NOT keeping in mind Jay is that the article doesn't say whether or not this "Cop" as you put it, was former military or not...he may have been before he was a SWAT team member. What you DO need to keep in mind is that one of the biggest "preferences" in the hiring process is former military service weighing heavily towards a remotely combat related military occupational specialty....but not absolutely required. I'll tell you one thing right now; I'd be WAY MORE inclined to have a SWAT member watch my back every day before some of the morons i've worked with that DILUTED the pool just because they went to a military basic training and were ultimately "window washers" in the Army......see where I'm coming from?? I'm not interested, during my next contract, in getting my head blown off because of a prior Army floor sweeper next to me is too busy looking cool in his Oakleys. If you'd ever done it, you'd know what I mean.

May 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Reply
      • Jay

I'm not speaking hypothetically, I'm speaking from experience. I'm a former Marine (0311) and I've been a contractor for the last 5 years, starting out as a PSD team member and working up to Project Management. I've worked with several Cops (funny enough, they were all either SWAT or had some sort of 'shootout' with a perp, or so they claimed) and they pretty much embodied the term "fish out of water" as applied to Military-style operations or high threat protective security. We had to do a "principal recovery/extraction" and the only casualty we had was a Cop who needed a drip because he had never worked in a desert environment before and wasn't in shape and couldn't make it up the stairs. So, I know I cannot lump them ALL into one basket, but if I were in charge of recruiting I would steer well clear of Cops unless they had previous Military operational experience. Anybody can sit bitch in a sub, but when shit hits the fan, I want a Military combat vet. The Cops I've seen ascend the ladder on state programs weren't usually worth a damn either. Sorry. I've gotten to the point where I have to tell it like it is. They're one of the big reasons the pool got diluted. This guy in the article may have just been a product of getting in at the right time. If he was a SOCOM bloke saying this shit, I could understand. SWAT? Not so much. A lot of these guys were SWAT in Bumfuck, Indiana, as we've often found

May 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • rohn barnhill

jay, as someone who has a background in both areas, what exactly in your infantry background makes you better than a cop as psd?...and let me say...i am glad your not the PM on any project ive been on or currently am on, ive worked with good cops over here and bad ones, ive worked with good exmil and bad ones, americans, brits, SA's, aussies, some good some bad...see what im gettin at...no im sure you dont...besafe all

October 27, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Reply
  21. Building for rent

Power building contractors operate in the building business. They may be responsible for providing electrical power via wires to companies, homes, production facilities along with crops.building contractors

January 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Reply
  22. Prabuddha

Mercenaries have always been used by empires. Lots of people from Britain hired out to the East India Company and came back rich. There was an expression He came to a rich country a poor man , he left behind a poor country a rich man. Now its Iraq and Iran instead of India. Colonialism is always about profit. The national army is there as a backstop to rescue the contractors when and if they screw up but the cutting edge of colonialism is always the private sector.

January 2, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  23. Kitty

Over the years of the wars we've paid dearly for corporate mercenaries and "contractors". The cost in dollars isn't the worst part of the price either. The use and toleration of Mercenaries is not compatible with representative democracy. Talk all you want about patriotism and security, but good old IKE hit the nail on the head when he warned the American public about the dangers of this unholy alliance of interests.

January 2, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
  24. donotworry

What is missing in this article is the fact that taxpayers are paying forthe shift from a govrnment controlled military force to a corporate owned militry force. Just a supplement to our corporate owned Congress, President, Supreme Court. Corporations are people too. Funny how there are so many commie remarks and no corporate oligarchy concerns comming out of the tea party.

January 2, 2012 at 7:17 am | Reply
  25. SLFD

Look.....everyone has a point ...But stop the BS..... Everyone knows that the federal government pays for contractors...How do we know check Fedbid.... Respect a man for his choice if he wants to be a contractor great. If you want to stay in the military and serve sounds good to me. Wether you work under contract or not in these hot zones you are STILL HIRED TO GET YOUR JOB DONE as long as YOUR not AGAINST THE REPUBLIC DO YOUR JOB KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN AND COME HOME. There is nothing New here your wasting breath

January 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Reply
    • Stewart

You respect someone not for making a choice but for the choice they make. And if one chooses to be a mercenary I do not respect that. We have a national military, and that, instead of private mercenary, is where the honorable people go. America is still a nation, not a grubby job fair, a real nation - at least for a while.

January 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Reply
      • Jay

The bottom line you guys don't seem to realize is this: The Department of State has never employed the Military for protection. That, my friends, would be due to the fact that the DoD and the DoS are two different entities. There are expanded Embassy missions on a scale in Iraq and Afghanistan that the USA has never seen on this scale, hence the need for contractors. They save the USA loads of money on benefits, insurance, retirement over hiring more State Agents.

Well, there's the facts. How about leaving your emotions out of arguments. Thank you.

February 15, 2012 at 2:07 am |
      • cmpenny

How in the hell do you get off thinking that they're mercenaries? You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about, you're misinformed, and you're making an ass out of yourself. Private Security contractors are just that...private security. The do NOT go out looking for fights, they are strictly a defensive tool to guard against insurgent attacks. Whether they are escorting a VIP, or a shipment, or taking care of matters on base, it's on a very professional level that does NOT include "shoot first, ask later"! Next time you want to start running your mouth about a subject, do your homework first! You should at least appreciate that they have it in them to do what you probably don't...and that's go over and take care of business, and before you start criticizing MY credentials...7 year Army Airborne veteran. I deployed twice to Afghanistan, and even a tour in Iraq. I know first hand what these guys do, and I for one appreciate them!

March 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • Anupriya

A good blog always comes up with new and extinicg information and while browsing and reading plenty of blogs, I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality. Keep posting. All the very best!!

October 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  26. Crocker

GIVE ME A FRIGGING BREAK.... They now give it a politically correct name of 'security contractor'. They are mercenaries plain and simple who are in it for the DOLLAR. If they were truly patriotic they would stay in the military and serve in that capacity. But the MONEY isn't as good – so they hire out. Boils down to one word. G R E E D.

December 31, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • BK

Yes we when as S/C for the money. Its the big shots who run the Security Co. that put it all on th wrong track. It the military that wants us there. Talk to a Contractor and hear the truth

January 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • cmpenny

You're just as bad, read my comment above and shut the hell up!

March 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Reply
      • A-Bone in AFG

You should really stop talking about things that you do not fully understand. I am an Army Medic ,currently in Afghanistan, and I can say from experience that the contractors around here are FAR from mercenaries. The name "Mercenary" implies that they actively hunt out and kill people. These men and women are here purely for security (i.e. They guard things). Please, feel free to strap on your best set of combat boots (you'll have to break them in for awhile first, as you've never worn them before), lock and load, and come join us over here so you can see for yourself.

August 13, 2012 at 6:08 am |
  27. SFMedic

You are there by choice not by chance. Making the immediate big bucks comes at a cost. You signed a contract, maybe you should have read it and made better choices or remained in the military for a career. BTW, I am retired military, a contractor, and been to Iraq and Afghanistan. We all knew what we were getting into. Stop whinning, no one forced you to go!

December 30, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Reply
    • BK

we are there for money But the military wanted us. Yes I when the there for the money because I was paid by the USDOD and we had good medic Yes I done it for my Country. Talk to a real contractor you got the wrong picture

January 1, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  28. Jason

One day soon, our reckless economic and military ignorance will be called an act of war. Who will come save us from ourselves? Will they say they are defending their strategic interests? What if they say they are protecting the freedoms of humanity and democracy?

What if sound money and jobs are only possible when we aren't sending $5 billion out of this country every day?

What if Christianity teaches peace and not preventative wars and aggression?

What if we save ourselves?
    Ron Paul & Jon Huntsman 2012.

December 30, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  29. Richie

Cry me a effin' river. You guys know that you could re-join the military if you wanted to. And you want to bitch? Please, give me a break.

December 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Reply
    • Virginia

The time when the contractor is bidnidg on your job and trying to convince you to hire him is the honeymoon period this is when your relationship with the contractor is going to be at its best, most friendly.If the contractor is treating you badly during this time, can you imagine how he's going to treat you when the work on your home starts and he's essentially got you by the family jewels ?Don't bother to try to track down someone who can't be bothered to give you the bid on your job. He's telling you loud and clear that he doesn't want your job and your money. Move on and find someone else.

October 12, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Reply
  30. James Jones

I guess that what you get when you want to be a Mercenary and work for
    profit instead of a sense of Patriotism.

December 29, 2011 at 7:12 am | Reply
    • El Duderino (if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

I'm a veteran and I can tell you that many people (not all) join the military for the benefits such as the G.I. Bill, and the bonuses. The only reason they don't go into private security is because they don't have the qualifications that PSC's have. Most are either SWAT or are from elite units such as SEAL's, Rangers, SF, Recon, etc. Besides, wouldn't you leave your job for a higher paying job? And since most of these people have served in the military prior to becoming PSC's, I can't help but ask have you served? Have you even been to Iraq or Afghanistan?

December 30, 2011 at 12:40 am | Reply
      • Dusty

I hate it when military folks pull this "have you ever served" nonsense. Just because someone has never been to Afghanistan or Iraq that means they aren't allowed to express their opinion about what's going on over there? How do you feel about China? Wait, don't answer that because if we follow your logic you aren't allowed to have an opinion unless you've actually been there. smh

December 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
      • James Jones

As a matter of fact I have served in : AF, Iraq, Bosnia, Haiti, Somalia (and just recently there), Uganda, Oman, UAE, Saudi (just recently), Columbia, Philiipines, Tanzania, etc..... and am still serving Iraq even though "all the Soldiers have left" as a Military Technical Expert with State, so don't get me started on the Private Army that the Embassy is hiring at 3Xs my salary- my question is that if you are such a trash-talker what have you done for the Republic lately - excuse me I have to get my weapon and gear to go do the "work of the Nation" at the bargain-basement non-Contractor rate.

January 1, 2012 at 7:29 am |
      • El Duderino (if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

Dusty, my argument with James Jones is not that he shouldn’t have an opinion regarding the issue if he’s never served; my argument is that he’s criticizing PSC’s because he thinks they work exclusively for profit while portraying the typical servicemember as pure and benevolent, which is simplistic and dichotomous. I was explaining that many PSC’s have former military experience and have proven their patriotism, and it is that factor that should be considered when critiquing PSC’s.

It infuriates me when people who’ve never served in the military or even care about the wars start criticizing PSC’s who have actually volunteered for the military and for war prior to their current employment to a private security company?

James Jones, I tip my hat to you if what you’re saying is true (possibly not, and you're just another commenter cooking B.S. for a better refutation) about your countless tours and hardships. Bear in mind though that depending on your specific “military technical expertise” there might be a high paying job waiting for you at some private company.

You have every right to leave the military considering your honorable and longstanding service (again, if what you’re saying is true), but don’t criticize people who leave the military for a private company. If they fulfilled their contract, then they’ve honored their obligation. To leave one line of employment for another that pays more is common, morally neutral, and is a matter of capitalism.

January 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Crocker

Well said James.

December 31, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Reply
    • donotworry

The contractor is a corporation, not this soldier. The corporation will evenally p tem minimum wag and hire them from thr world countries. Paid for by your tax dollars.

January 2, 2012 at 7:20 am | Reply
    • Jay

Spoken like a mongoloid that would work for State. Jealous of Military Vets making cash. If you were qualified to work PSD, then you should try it. Probably not qualified.

February 15, 2012 at 1:52 am | Reply
    • Golden Rule

@Jay So much for duty, honor, country. It's all about the money these days, be it Goldman Sachs, Halliburton, or Xe. No more "band of brothers" or "leave no man behind" nonsense or public (i.e. GOVERNMENT) memorials and monuments. Just go get yours and forget everyone else. Working a government military job with GI benefits paid for by taxpayers? Get a real job, like working for a corporation (that gets paid for with government taxpayer contracts)! I have no problem with that. Just don't complain when your corporate boss tries to cut costs to increase his profit margin by scr*wing you over on your contract with fine print legalese. You gonna form a union, go on strike and protest like a commie when he does? Those Blackwater contractors burned and hanged on the bridge in Fallujah were under-staffed and under-equipped, to save money of course. One more dead contractor, one less paycheck to pay out, no life insurance to pay out, increase the corporate profit margin, hide behind national security legal immunity laws to nullify any lawsuits.

Money talks, bullsh*t walks.

The Department of State (GOVERNMENT) has NEVER employed the military (GOVERNMENT) for protection? Who protected the US Embassy in Saigon when it was breached by Vietcong during the Tet Offensive in 1967? So, the Marine Corps Embassy Security Group is not military (GOVERNMENT)? I didn't know they got privatized. Of course, privatizing our entire military would save loads of money on benefits, insurance, and retirement. Heaven forbid our military troops turn into fat, lazy, overpaid commie union goons. If they do, fire them and outsource their jobs, and hire Chilean ex-special forces who are equally competent and accept lower pay. That's what Erik Prince is doing. It's a smart business model, since every other American corporation (Apple-FoxConn) is already doing it to cut costs.

Greed is good. It's what Jesus would want.

March 18, 2012 at 12:42 am | Reply
  31. sparks

OMG what an egotistical USA bitch/tramp. You are paying rent and she is busting into your room??? WTF I don;t know how you remained so calm especially when she said she was going to call the police and say you raped her......

well news flash USA your going down in the eyes of the rest of the world so lets see how you manage when you lose your jobs and become homeless yourselves...............

December 27, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  32. MKULTRA BRAINCHIPMAN

MILLIONS TO BE ASSASSINATED FOR THE SAKE OF $$$ LIABILITIES(mk-ultra, chip implants, electroshocks etc. performed on them) AND NEW WORLD ORDER(multiculturalism = terrorism) POLITICAL AGENDA KNOWN AS "YOU ARE NEXT...YOU ARE NEXT"(liabilities are 2 expensive for the government and it is cheaper to get read of you instead !!! NOW YOU KNOW WHAT US CONGRESS IS SOOO BUSY WITH WHEN PLAYING IN FRONT OF CAMERAS WHERE CLAIMING ONLY HOW SOMETHING HAVE TO BE DONE WHILE KNOWINGLY OMITTING AND IGNORING FACTS OF GENOCIDE AS SEEN ON THIS WELL KNOWN COMPLAIN )!!!

LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UNITED NATIONS, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AS WELL AS NEW WORLD ORDER(MULTICULTURALISM = TERRORISM) GOVERNMENTS !!! NOT THERE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS, BUT TO DENY YOUR RIGHT TO EXISTENCE !!!

ABDUCTIONS / BRAIN CHIP IMPLANTS / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

WHY TO ACCEPT LIABILITIES FOR CRIMES COMMITTED WHEN WE CAN SIMPLY ASSASSINATE OUR VICTIMS(YOU) THANKS TO HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS AND FREE PRESS/MEDIA(most severe censorship of genocide ever !!!)!!

This news is related to WHITES AREN’T WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw&w=640&h=390]
    OR
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec <== OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! These are hard facts about lunatic Obama/Bush's twilight zone administrations(HORROR) or genocide against whites per ZIONIST Washington DC and in complete agreement with communist Moscow !!!

EXILING WHITES WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS COMPLETELY FREE.

December 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Reply
    • Cyrus

Your pharmacy called. They have a refill for your meds.

Also, try decaf. Just because you can write bull crap in CAPS, doesn't make it important or even true.

December 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Reply
      • jojothemonkeyboy

I'm not sure what's crazier, the obvious mental patient that apparently has found his way to our side of the locked door or the Seattle chick thinking she is having an actual conversation that has some kind of meaning with an individual that I can visualize as having 2 squirrels running around in his head. He is beyond meds, he needs a bench in a grassy courtyard that is surrounded not only by a very tall fence with that sharp wire at the top but one that has video monitors and guards to prevent an escape.

January 1, 2012 at 2:23 am |
    • Steve

And your ignorant screed has what exactly to do with this story?

December 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm | Reply
    • Eddie Z

Now, here's the thing, my friend...

When you wake up, get out of bed veeeeery carefully and go to the nearest window. Look out of that window. Everything you will see is Not Real. It is ALL make-believe. Go back to your bed, climb in, pull the covers over your head, and stay there for the rest of your life.

December 30, 2011 at 3:29 am | Reply
    • jane

Lord only knows how I happened upon this little gem of information. Talk about the tenent from he**. LMAO!

December 30, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Reply