October 7th, 2011

The highest ranking iPad in the military

Each day, the new chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin Dempsey, uses an iPad  to read his classified intelligence.  In an exclusive interview, Dempsey talks Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr about his embracing of handheld devices and how he sees the military using them in the future.

Officially, the iPad cannot be logged into the military internet system, known as SIPRnet.  But as a military spokesman told CNN, they are used offline.   This year, there was an initiative to use tablets as a replacement to the standard, bulky briefing books prepared each day for leadership to read.

"The devices have been physically altered and are only being used in a standalone mode. Using these tablets has saved the community countless man hours and costs in reproducing and printing thousands of pages of documents," a military spokeswoman Lt. Col. April Cunningham said. "The devices have been locked down to minimize the risk of exposure of classified information."

If you spend any time with troops, you see that the devices are in use, albeit not always officially.

1. High PR backlinks, pagerank backlinks,backlinks from actual PR webpages.

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clearness to your put up is just excellent and i could assume you're an expert in this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to stay up to date with imminent post. Thank you a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

February 21, 2013 at 1:30 am | Reply
  2. DMON

If they decided to use the Blackberry Playbook, they would be able to put in on the network and have it linked to their Blackberries which does meet the security requirements.
    I don't think they have really examined what they need their tech to do.
    If you're just going to use it stand alone mode, the new Kindle Fire is cheaper and would save taxpayers a lot of money.

October 11, 2011 at 8:27 am | Reply
  3. sonic10158

can't imagine what could happen if auto-correct kicks in

October 9, 2011 at 12:38 am | Reply
  4. USA4Ever

Living on the edge of High Tech..!! I know this is kind of scary...but Go GO UAS!!! All the way..! I pray everyday for US to get back to where this country was......Stay strong America...!

Btw I am not an American. I am just a piece of Asian going school here...Love ya America+cans with all my heart !!

October 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply
    • usama

السماح بالكتابة بحسب النطق الصوتي
      In the name of God the Merciful
      Please friends from all over the world get the message to friends, members of the White House, USA, as I am I want to deliver the complaint to all human rights organizations all over the world ...
      Still my problem list so far with the Egyptian government I holds the absolute freedom from the White House of the States, U.S. and I'm still in Egypt has so far not been able to enjoy the freedom I have also so far not been able of receiving my money from the Egyptian government my money in the Bank of Egypt for several years, and now to please my friends from the members of the U.S. Congress and House of Representatives and the Senate to intervene as quickly as I am now not able to also receive the award of my own
      I submitted a complaint to all human rights courts and to all human rights organizations against the Egyptian government and I tell me I was sent by a thousand complaints in the previous regime to all the heads of the world and to all presidents in all over the world to enter the Egyptian government is the Government of deception is not a history and has no code of honor and I did not trust anyone in this state they are all liars and I would love to Ahzrkm tricked them all
      I sent the complaint / Osama Bardeeni
      Author, journalist, poet, known in Egypt and all over the world and I tell you that the war taking place in Egypt from the internal Egyptian police officers, Li Bodahad personal
      Please I ask for the speed of intervention and the ongoing investigation into my complaint against the Egyptian government and the No. Thank you very much Hatvyt / 0116366154
      Please, please speed of intervention of all the friends all over the world to intervene for the importance of maximum
      I was not able of receiving my money transferred from abroad so far

October 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Reply
  5. IA Guy

Yet another headache to deal with...

October 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  6. Darunia

Oh man. I can't wait to be able to brief from one of these things. Or be able to control my slides remotely. Really the possibilities are endless.

October 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Reply
  7. Now the military is getting up to the a speed and effcient standards of the 21 st century.

Effcient in bussiness is a key to success! You cant expect our military to be the best without fast communication.

October 8, 2011 at 10:25 am | Reply
  8. salman

Lt. iPad reporting for duty, sir!

October 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  9. Buzzer

@BBoy705: with this type of comments displaying any knowledge of the type of "opponent" the U.S. Military is facing in Afghanistan and the complexity of the situation there, we all know why "Boy" is in your username.

October 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  10. BBoy705

When you think about the Commander's comments about using the newest and best technologies of the 21st century in command centers and in the field you must keep in mind that in 10-years the US Army has not been able to defeat an opponent who basically lives in the 19th century. So what is wrong with this picture??

October 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Reply
    • Mike

19th century? I had no idea the AK47 and RPG7 were developed in the 1800s.

October 8, 2011 at 9:51 am | Reply
  11. Sam

Was this one also designed by Apple in California and assembled in China.

October 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Reply
    • Anonymous

No, this one was designed by Apple in Kenya and assembled in Vanuatu.

October 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  12. John in Colorado

My guess is that once they figure out the security issues, and harden it some, it will find its way onto the electronic battlefield. Coupled with sophisticated military satellite imagery, it will be hard to hide from American military forces.

October 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Reply
  13. SpawnOfSwiss

My friend in the navy is obsessed with his Ipad, he wont go anywhere without it. :p

October 7, 2011 at 11:02 am | Reply