Among the proposals -
- reverse projected spending cuts and set a floor for defense spending of 4% of gross domestic product (GDP)
- increase Navy shipbuilding to a rate of 15 ships per year
- reverse Obama missile defense cuts and commit to a missile defense system
- launch review of Afghanistan transition plan
- in Latin America "launch a vigorous public diplomacy and trade promotion effort in the region"
- complete border fence on border with Mexico
- reset the Obama administration "reset" with Russia
Pentagon correspondent Chris Lawrence talked about the spending and weapon proposals with Newsroom anchor Suzanne Malveaux. Over on CNN's Global Public Square blog, Brookings' Michael O'Hanlon gives his take.