August 16th, 2011

Military unit behind hypersonic test flight probed

BY CNN's Adam Levine and Jennifer Rizzo

The military research wing that last week launched a hypersonic aircraft test is being investigated after questions were raised about potential conflicts of interest in awarding lucrative contracts.

The audit by the Department of Defense's inspector general will look at the "adequacy" of the handling by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, known as DARPA, of "selection, award, and administration of contracts and grants" in fiscal years 2010 and 2011, according to a memo the inspector general sent to government watchdog group Project on Government Oversight.

The investigation is a "partial response" to the oversight group, which had written to the Pentagon about concerns regarding ties between DARPA personnel, both leaders and researchers, and a company that has received money from the research unit, according to a separate letter from the inspector general informing DARPA of the initiation of the audit.

The announcement of the audit was first reported by Wired's Danger Room blog.

Project on Government Oversight had expressed concerns about DARPA to the inspector general after it was revealed by Wired that the director, Regina Dugan, had financial and familial relations with contractor RedXDefense, a company that she co-founded and that is run by her father. Dugan's uncle is also on the company's board.

"If there's anything wrong with the RedXDefense contracts specifically and with DARPA contracting generally, we hope these two reviews find it. There's enough smoke to make us wonder if there's fire," said the oversight group's director of investigations, Nick Schwellenbach.

DARPA maintains that it complies with Pentagon policies on financial and personal conflicts of interest, arguing that Dugan's past association with the company is transparent.

"Upon assuming her position, the director recused herself, in accordance with federal ethics laws and regulations, from any dealings between the agency and RedXDefense," said DARPA spokesman Eric Mazzacone. "Since becoming director, Dr. Dugan has not participated in any dealings between the agency and RedXDefense."

DARPA had dealings with RedXDefense before Dugan became the agency's director, previously awarding it approximately $4.3 million in funding, according to Mazzacone. Since Dugan became the director in July 2009, RedXDefense has submitted five proposals worth approximately $6.6 million, and $1.8 million has been awarded for one of those proposals.

RedXDefense's focus is in explosion detection and protection, according to its website. The company owes Dugan a quarter of a million dollars, according to financial disclosure documents published by the Project on Government Oversight. She also has between $151,000 and $305,000 in assets and income from RedXDefense, it said.

RedXDefense said it has no comment on the investigation, its contracts from DARPA or its relationship with Dugan.

DARPA was in the news Thursday with a test of the Falcon Hypersonic Test Vehicle, billed as the fastest aircraft ever launched. It is believed to have crashed into the Pacific Ocean after researchers lost control of it. The vehicle was launched by a Minotaur IV rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California before separating and re-entering the atmosphere over the Pacific.

The triangular wedge is capable of reaching Mach 20, approximately 13,000 miles per hour, according to DARPA.

1. ufos truth

I blog frequently and I really thank you for your content. The article has really peaked my interest. I'm going to take a note of your website and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

November 24, 2012 at 4:44 am | Reply
  2. lymphoma non hodkins

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and include approximately all important infos. I'd like to look extra posts like this .

July 31, 2012 at 7:42 am | Reply
  3. Jackass

Of course Obummer wants a hypersonic plane. Think how fast he could get to his Hawaian vacations?

August 18, 2011 at 12:53 am | Reply
  4. Olrik

USA has had advanced SSTO drive propulsion technologies since Operation Paperclip in 1945 and Roswell in 1947. The compartmentalization of DoD, NASA and Area 51 technologies has been the result of national security and economic interests. The Space Shuttle STS was a national fraud allowed to expire with no apparent replacement – do you believe this?

August 17, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  5. rexedie

its good to see some article in reference to these shoddy dealings... sadly ...the cancer is so deep and widespread that you could spend the rest of a lifetime trying to uncover and remove it...

the pentagon and fear mongers run the country.... all the racial hatred and religious ignorance is just a diversionary smoke screen.... people don't want to be responsible for actually thinking any more....so they bs themselves on facebook and twitter and all the other mindless crap.... " we reap what we sow"

August 17, 2011 at 2:45 am | Reply
  6. Limbaugh be riding more than coattails!

I be riding a big ol jig-a-boo meat stick! I luv dem coons and I luv dem beaners...I luv dem phangs and I luv dem phags! Let's hook up and pack dat hole..let me grease up your big ol pole!! I can't get enough of dem jig-a-boos!!

August 17, 2011 at 2:32 am | Reply
  7. Limbaugh is a ho-mo

I love to get down and get bizzy with dem teenie boyz! I blast dat oxy and get all wack then I grab my meat stick and give it a smack!! Just drop me a line and you will see, that I'm a flamin fruit and we can be free...to pump dat rump with my tiny stump!! Let's hook up and slide it in...we be rockin cuz this aint no sin!! See ya!

August 17, 2011 at 2:25 am | Reply
  8. diagda

Five contracts one awarded and they're investigating? ?? Her assets and salaries is still a pawtry amount compared to others who make more money I mean cabinet level appointees get to keep their profits/earnings the last year amount here's the kicker cabinet level officials Sec. Of treasury keep their earnings park it somewhere to grow AND when the term is up they keep it all TAX-FREE the millions become billions after four years I surmise and they're going after this pronounced director?

August 17, 2011 at 2:18 am | Reply
  9. Tgallant

I know da law of da Sea..yeah, you know me! Its all about peace and I'll throw on some fleece! Let's get all bombed and put on a thong. Lovin dat butt floss and I just gotta toss that gloss...cuz I am a freak and we iz gonna peak. Gettin high on shrooms makes me wanna get a room and spoon with a coon. He's got da big ol dong and it aint wrong cuz I'm a pud with a big ol dud! Party all night and I won't be tight cuz it fits just right. Juz cuz I'm a freak...I be walkin bowlegged for a week. Late bra!!

August 17, 2011 at 2:16 am | Reply
    • So your hooked on... ?

."... cuz I am a freak..." You got that one right. Bottom line: DON'T DO DRUGS!

August 17, 2011 at 2:28 am | Reply
  10. erich2112x

Then me. Dibbs.

August 17, 2011 at 2:13 am | Reply
  11. Brian

The military industrial complex in action. And this is what we call "defense."

August 17, 2011 at 2:11 am | Reply
  12. JimBob

I like to kneel and bob..schlob your knob! Let's pump da rump and hump dat stump! I got a tiny dong...it aint long and I iz ready to hit da bong. I wanna grab dem toys and find dem gayboyz. We just need to rock dat c@ck...don't need no jock! See ya!!

August 17, 2011 at 2:06 am | Reply
  13. Limbaugh is a flamer

You iz a gay freak! Time to meet my friend Ben....Ben Dover. We can butt slam each other in da poop chute all night long. Time to play hide da pickle!!

August 17, 2011 at 1:57 am | Reply
    • Limbaugh is a liberal

For the record, I am NOT associated with the above freak, even though e's trying to ride my coattails.

August 17, 2011 at 2:17 am | Reply
  14. Ranxorox

I am a flamin butt pirate and I love to schlob the knob! Any gayboyz wanna party down? I just wanna pump da plump rump of a fruity chump!! Let's get bizzy!!

August 17, 2011 at 1:54 am | Reply
  15. Limbaugh is a liberal

Ooo, we are sooo behind the technology because our hypersonic WMD delivery plane failed its first test... We are sooo threatened by China that has just launched its one and only aircraft career (and by ITS I mean, it is owned by China, even though it was built by Russia some four decades ago)
    Seriously, we spend about as much as the rest of the world COMBINED on so-called 'defense.' We get outraged if any OTHER country sends its military craft into international waters, but of course we feel justified keeping OUR carriers at the 'safe' 10-20 miles outside territorial limits, ONLY threatening China from a distance of 40 miles. But of course if any OTHER country send military ships within even two hundred miles of any of our OVERSEES interests, they must be militaristic bullies who have to be sanctioned...

August 17, 2011 at 1:47 am | Reply
    • Tgallant

This is a strange, uninformed rant. Please research the topics before you make silly comments. The Law of the Sea and the rights of peaceful transit are complex and you show a remarkable lack of knowledge of the subject.

August 17, 2011 at 2:05 am | Reply
      • Limbaugh is a liberal

Wow! I am so HUMBLED by your SPECIFIC and INFORMED reply! I will make sure to correct my 'rambles' based on the FACT and DATA you presented in your reply. I apologize profoundly for not indlucing any specifics in MY reply aluding to China's military capablities and its INTRUSION of OUR territorial waters.

August 17, 2011 at 2:12 am |
    • Void

1. China's threat to us is economic in nature, not militaristic. And it's foolish to underestimate an economic power like China.

2. You should know how to spell "overseas", especially if you are planning on using it in a randomly capitalized rant.

August 17, 2011 at 2:23 am | Reply
      • Limbaugh is a liberal

1. Point out EXACTLY where I DENIED that China was an ECONOMIC rival to us! Please! I am DYING to know.
        2. I apologize. I was foolish, and ALL my arguments are rendered MEANINGLESS becuaes I mdae typso... Ooops! I made more typos! I aploigez!

August 17, 2011 at 3:03 am |
  16. Peter E

Yes, lay the blame on DARPA, because it is ALWAYS a government agency's fault (funny how the government agencies never get ANY credit in turn) while I am sure Lockheed, the PRIVATE contractor to NASA has had a clean history... Except it is they who were at fault at both the Challenger AND Columbia disaster, not to mention the Joint Strike Fighter that has been over budget and WAAAY overdue since the 90s...

August 17, 2011 at 1:39 am | Reply
  17. Thomas

Ronald Raygun ,
    Space umbrellas and ballistic baseball mitts !

David , the stealth fighter china built is junk , the aircraft carrier they are taunting around the South China sea is a duck , there submarines are a killing drive a dispose delivery system and are of stealth concern.

When there is a no return policy , and when it positively , absolutely needs to get there on time . Use the " HDD" Hypersonic Drone Dart , max explosive payload 1100 lb. , pin point delivery , somebody takes a lickin when it stops tickin !

August 17, 2011 at 1:32 am | Reply
  18. RD

Gee, I'd sure hate to be probed by THAT!

August 17, 2011 at 1:21 am | Reply
  19. s

f'ing government meddling with what they shouldn't just to gain more control and become more powerful

watch out as democrats enlarge the government to the point that we have no countercontrol

August 17, 2011 at 1:13 am | Reply
    • Ranxorox

oh mr doofuss – Reagan ballooned the fed govt. Where were you?

August 17, 2011 at 1:43 am | Reply
  20. David

ICBM can travel around 3000 to 15000 mph . So if they had a un manned object that could go 13000 mph it may have the power to stop a ICBM .

August 17, 2011 at 1:09 am | Reply
    • jdoe

Or they can just launch a missile from a sub a few miles from shore, and all this taxpayer-funded waste will be for nothing.

August 17, 2011 at 1:19 am | Reply
    • Yeah

Subs can be followed.

August 17, 2011 at 1:37 am | Reply
  21. David

I mean ICBM

August 17, 2011 at 1:05 am | Reply
  22. David

If the united states had this sort of object that could go over 10 000 mph it could HELP stop a ICMB if IRAN or North korea built one .

August 17, 2011 at 1:04 am | Reply
    • Frangible

Unfortunately this is not fast enough to stop an ICBM, past the boost stage at least. The Minuteman III does 24000 MPH in its terminal phase. And even if it was, effective ICBM defense can actually provoke nuclear confontration by disrupting the balance of deterrance. It is less of an issue post cold war, but as Russia taking offense (and rightly so) to deployed missile defense in Poland showed, it's still relevant.

August 17, 2011 at 1:15 am | Reply
      • JimBob

its a given its not possible to stop a nuclear war, a capable nation could position its subs a dozen or more of them loaded with nukes off the coast of california and launch the banned medium range nuclear missles which do not enter the earths atmosphere. Game over. But every capable nation knows you might wipe out some or even most of the united states but we will counter attack. From space, from submarines... any nation launching missles against us will be obliterated. Its suicide.

August 17, 2011 at 1:38 am |
    • Yeah

it would stop China's too.

August 17, 2011 at 1:16 am | Reply
    • Yeah

Who needs to stop a minuteman II? This is for stopping Chinese junk, not our own.

August 17, 2011 at 1:19 am | Reply
    • JimBob

This technology isnt designed to stop an ICBM... lol. This is designed for spy missions Im sure of it. If they want to stop an ICBM its a simple process, they fly around Boeing Jets equipped with powerful lasers which shoot them out of the sky. They have been flying these laser planes around since late 2009. But the real anti ICBM technology is the star wars system which does exist, spaced based system powered by nuclear with a massive laser. These systems are controlled by the US Navy 10th fleet. look it up.

August 17, 2011 at 1:23 am | Reply
      • Githm

Thank you for addressing the misinformed, the ill-informed and the uninformed. It is meant to deliver ordinance anywhere in the world in less than an hour...spying is already covered.

August 17, 2011 at 1:36 am |
    • NHS

and when you stop an ICBM mid flight, what happens...
      a nuclear explosion mid-air

August 17, 2011 at 2:13 am | Reply
  23. David

CHINA would love to find the technolgy that darpa is using for this object . stealth fighter china built and showed off this year was massive .

August 17, 2011 at 1:02 am | Reply
    • Yeah

We would love to use it on China for stealing our secrets.

August 17, 2011 at 1:22 am | Reply
  24. Ryan

Its amazing that we only spend approx 1% of what we used to in the NASA program yet we are still able to pull off feats like this. Once the budget (if it ever will) get balanced i can see us doing things that were supposed to be possible now. JFK got us on the moon 40 years ago...we need to be able to land on the moon and/or colonize another planet or moon such as Titan in the next 20 years. If these goal(s) are not reached i fear we may never advance our space program until our planet can no longer sustain its current path. The end times will come far before that time i'm afraid. There is a limited ammount of time we have (people who plan to live at least 100 years of age). Lets get started!

August 17, 2011 at 1:00 am | Reply
  25. Ronald Raygun

red rocket red rocket

August 17, 2011 at 12:57 am | Reply
  26. Thomas

$360M lost to insurgents, criminals in Afghanistan ?

Military unit behind hypersonic test flight probed , Since Dugan became the director in July 2009, RedXDefense has submitted five proposals worth approximately $6.6 million, and $1.8 million has been awarded for one of those proposals.?

An investigation estimates that about $23bn may have been lost, stolen or not properly accounted for in Iraq?

And I'm trying for a loan modification , maybe theirs a mortgage company in Afghanistan or Iraq that will refi my home , or maybe a hypersonic aircraft test gone wrong do to corruption will just crash into my home and the government will pay for a remodel.

Tax dollars to job creators , I'm in the wrong business, Thank you GW BUSH !

August 17, 2011 at 12:56 am | Reply
    • Frangible

God, reading this makes me wish I could vote George W. Bush in for a 3rd term.

August 17, 2011 at 1:02 am | Reply
    • BobaFett

Loan Mods don't work! Look at the statistics! 97% of them fail. What's your hardship? I don't want to pay doesn't count.

I do agree that billions have been "lost" in the Middle East. But the housing market lost over $4 TRILLION in SECURED IDIOTIC LOANS that speculative gullible people couldn't afford.

I recommend a short sale or foreclosure, fix your credit and buy something that fits your needs NOT your wants.

August 17, 2011 at 1:25 am | Reply
      • Githm

Wow...talk about going off on a tangent!

August 17, 2011 at 1:45 am |
    • Jesslyn

Your story was really inforamvite, thanks!

January 30, 2012 at 3:46 am | Reply
    • qjiyialjeb

LKaJJg mgowrsoygvig

January 31, 2012 at 7:19 am | Reply
    • xiuasrfce

IkKSTu ldrexmjpulfe

February 1, 2012 at 3:11 am | Reply
  27. Daws

Should read: "...probed, by aliens" 😛

August 17, 2011 at 12:55 am | Reply
  28. Fox Mulder

Wonderful. Now we can deliver nuclear winter at 20 times the speed of sound.

August 17, 2011 at 12:53 am | Reply
    • Frangible

ICBMs are faster. Delivery in 20 minutes or less... or the next one's free!

August 17, 2011 at 12:55 am | Reply
    • todd

no fox, it failed...

August 17, 2011 at 1:00 am | Reply
  29. Dual use OSI Reader

This is a "National Security" 'DUAL' use Technology'.

1- It does exactly as they advertise. Research on many levels.
    2- Land Based – When 'Perfected' it will be "The Ultimate" – 'Kinetic Non Nuclear' Bunker Buster Kill Vehicle. THINK.
    3- Space Related – ASAT 'Kinetic' Kill Vehicle.

All different Shapes, All different sizes , for ALL different USES.

It Shall move FORWARD.

Taking Wagers.

August 17, 2011 at 12:52 am | Reply
  30. David

All the programs behind the military are not for the good of the human race its all about beating the bad guys on earth and keeping power . This is just a advanced step up to beat any nation from counter attacking like china or soviet union back in the 1960s cuba/russia. This object is built for a weapon of war not for the good of humans.

August 17, 2011 at 12:45 am | Reply
    • Frangible

Yeah, we're totally going to own the s*** out of the Soviet Union with this thing.

August 17, 2011 at 12:53 am | Reply
  31. Thomas E. Shafovaloff

Got this call from a North Korean fellow, all excited, was out fishing. Well, you guessed it, thought it was some worthless junk caught in the net so they threw it back into the Pacific. These days radioactive iodine, radioactive sea water and now this, any thing goes. Damn.
    You know just the threat of having something like this that may be operational, at some point, could be used as a deterrant. Haven't heard Russia or China complain about this thing – and a lot of hoopla in public about such a secret machine, almost too much. I guess "value" has to come from some place for building a meteoroid. Maybe you could time the launch to coinside with a natural event?
    Thomas E. Shafovaloff

August 17, 2011 at 12:43 am | Reply
    • Frangible

So you were discussing radioisotopes and classified US defense technology with a North Korean, you say?

August 17, 2011 at 12:49 am | Reply
      • Thomas E. Shafovaloff

A different "me" made that comment, really....so I may need to check with the "other" and get back.

July 23, 2015 at 8:07 pm |
      • Thomas E. Shafovaloff

You need to watch recent YouTube RT posting with Putin discussing his version of "lightening", sorry, forget I mentioned anything secret...how would I know anything about that sort of thing? Still checking with the "other" me. 🙂

April 28, 2018 at 12:45 am |
  32. David

I wish NASA got as much news coverage as the military does . The military program has robbed nasa from going back to the moon using up worthless amounts of money building all these weapons of war.

August 17, 2011 at 12:42 am | Reply
    • Frangible

Totally dude. Lately it's like NASA's manned space flights have gotten no press whatsoever. But they mention Soyuz launches by Roscosmos? Commie bias in the media.

August 17, 2011 at 12:47 am | Reply
  33. AL

This seems like a made up scandal. The company has won one out of six projects, and that too for $1.8M from an agency that according to Wikipedia manages $3.2Billion dollars. I have funds from DARPA for research, and know well the procedure they follow to avod COI.

Besides the DARPA Director is not involved in making decisions for individual projects. She is involved in selecting programs, most running in $40M+. A program is overseen by a Program Manager.

So you think she armtwisted a PM to shell out a measly $1.8M to a defense contractor. I say it measly because the project is likely to last at least 3 years, and could be longer. If you split the money across the project period, it would barely pay to hire two (at most three) competent engineers per year.

This is a case of someone throwing her under the bus because she was not playing to someone else's tune. The investigation will find no wrong doing, but her career will be smashed. The more likely scenario is that she didn't budge to wishes of some political heavyweight, and this was a payback.

August 17, 2011 at 12:38 am | Reply
    • Jean Sartre

You might just be right; however, tthat would mean that there is some corruption in our government, and I find that to simply be impossible...

August 17, 2011 at 12:58 am | Reply
  34. andy

From the article: "The inspector general will also examine "the effectiveness of avoiding or preventing conflicts-of-interest," according to the letter to the oversight group."

What a joke? Really? So you're forming a committee to see if the problem is a problem and what problems it could cause. Yah. We already know, step aside. Give me a rope.

Typical Corporate / Defense "Businessman" "Blah blah blah capitalism" he talks, then cheat cheat cheat he does...

How many more years are we going to drink the voodoo lemonade of trickle down economics?

Hey- wanna stop all of our problems in one year? Build Zero new military gear. We have plenty. If anything serious goes down we can make some more. For this year. Build nothing. Whoosh. All of our debt gone. Whooosh all of our social programs funded. Whoosh problems solved. Call me a dreamer, I'm sure you will...

August 17, 2011 at 12:34 am | Reply
    • Frangible

Why do you want Rosie the Riveter to be unemployed? Do you hate all Americans, or just women in the workforce?

August 17, 2011 at 12:40 am | Reply
    • Ryan

you are a dreamer. we're 14 trillion in debt. i doubt it took even 1 half of a % of that to make this incredible military capability. everyone says oh shit it crashed....ITS SUPPOSED TO CRASH! why they haven't found it...well ya thats definitely a problem...

August 17, 2011 at 12:51 am | Reply
  35. Rok8man

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnT08QTNoEA&w=640&h=360]

August 17, 2011 at 12:30 am | Reply
  36. TheThinker1958

why are these contracts lucrative in the first place? how much money are doing these "contractors"? shouldn't there be a limit on the profit margins? nobody should make fortunes at the expense of tax payer money.
    an for this contract: why wasn't this conflict of interest investigated before? how many billions are going into this? how many thousands of dollars will cost checking backgrounds?
    I will like to know also: WHEN IS SOMEBODY GOING TO GO TO JAIL.
    Is obvious there is something going on. They knew it. They knew it was against the rules. Just put them in jail.

August 17, 2011 at 12:29 am | Reply
    • Frangible

You'd actually find the dollar amounts in the article if you put the bong down and read it, bro. The forbidden dark art of reading.

August 17, 2011 at 12:37 am | Reply
  37. joe az

did anyone see the orginal planet of the apes? looks like the same craft.. cool!

August 17, 2011 at 12:20 am | Reply
  38. David

this tooks years to contruct maybe 30? its mind blowing to think we can go that fast

August 17, 2011 at 12:18 am | Reply
    • joe az

its un-manned, correct?

August 17, 2011 at 12:25 am | Reply
  39. Hasselhoff

Kinda looks like a UFO to me where'd they get that technology!?!?!? Hmmmmm..hahaahaha..

August 17, 2011 at 12:16 am | Reply
    • David

This was NOT a ufo . This was from secret military and years of learning

August 17, 2011 at 12:17 am | Reply
      • Jean Sartre

Sorry, David, the military doesn't learn...

August 17, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • andy

Hollywood of course.

August 17, 2011 at 12:38 am | Reply
  40. David

The Military had GPS in the 1990s . Its not as easy as putting GPS on a jet fighter , GPS signals get lost once objects go faster than sound

August 17, 2011 at 12:13 am | Reply
    • Rok8man

Launch vehicles that travel over 17,000mph use GPS both to track and in some cases guide them to orbit.

August 17, 2011 at 12:23 am | Reply
  41. Aaron

Nothing shocking here. It's the way our government works. The taxpayers provide the money, then the politicians and those in charge distribute it to friends, relatives, and croonies, who may or may not have the qualifications necessary to get the job done. Judging by the ineptitude of our government, not having the necessary qualifications seems to be the norm.

August 17, 2011 at 12:13 am | Reply
  42. David

james GPS can not read anything going 3000 MPH ...

August 17, 2011 at 12:12 am | Reply
    • Client09

Once its stopped (crashed). the GPS will be able to find it............im pretty sure thats what he meant by that

August 17, 2011 at 12:18 am | Reply
      • Frangible

You have a GPS unit that can survive a 13000 MPH crash? Sweet. Mine couldn't survive a drop onto the sidewalk. In a padded case.

August 17, 2011 at 12:43 am |
  43. Ryan

That's what you get folks. Maybe you'll elect Ron Paul this time around..?

August 17, 2011 at 12:11 am | Reply
    • Frangible

SPOILER: Aeris dies. Also, Ron Paul will never be president.

August 17, 2011 at 12:12 am | Reply
      • mediator

@Frangible, your trolling will not be tolerated. You are in violation of the terms of service.

August 17, 2011 at 12:43 am |
      • Foo

^Like

August 17, 2011 at 12:50 am |
      • Frangible

Oooh, a Ron Paul fan pretending to be a CNN employee. Let's see who they take exception to.

August 17, 2011 at 1:07 am |
    • Client09

he has good foreign policy, but letting people do heroin because they "have a right to" will never work in usa

August 17, 2011 at 12:22 am | Reply
      • Rin

He has advocated the decriminalization of marijuana and the end of federal funding to go into foreign nations to control their drug trade. That is not even remotely the same as saying he thinks everyone should be free to do heroin.

August 17, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  44. james

It is "believed" to have crashed somewhere in the Pacific? Haven't they heard of GPS? For the love of God, they must think we are stupid.
    So they lost it? lol ..... No wonder they go through so much money. Maybe they should attempt to retrieve their toys from now on instead of throwing them away.

August 17, 2011 at 12:00 am | Reply
    • joseph

How do you suppose you slow down something moving around 13,000 mph so it can land safely in the ocean? I think at those speeds, at least for now, it is a one way trip.

August 17, 2011 at 12:10 am | Reply
      • Marshall Johnson

You do realize that the Space Shuttle travels faster than this and makes a controlled landing, don't you?

August 17, 2011 at 12:28 am |
      • Frangible

Technically the space shuttle travels at 0 miles per hour now. Better hope the Russians are in a good mood.

August 17, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • Frangible

Cause GPS locks are so easy at 13000 MPH, and water is a gentle cushion that leaves you intact at that speed.

Aeronautics, how do they work?

August 17, 2011 at 12:11 am | Reply
    • jumma

Do u know if they forgot to build a bathroom in this machine?

August 17, 2011 at 12:12 am | Reply
  45. Joe D

Typical fraud by scum government workers and bureaucrats. Half of them should be fired and most government contractors should be shut down.

August 17, 2011 at 12:00 am | Reply
    • mickey1313

most contractors should be hired on to the government, so there is more acountabiblty then contractors have.

August 17, 2011 at 12:05 am | Reply
    • Frangible

You're just saying that because the South lost the civil war. Badly.

August 17, 2011 at 12:09 am | Reply
  46. Mr. B

This is not news, the best friend of the Mexican Drug trade are United States politicians and their banking connections.
    The reason for the Iraq and afghanistan war was not for WMD's or peace it was to guard private oil contractors oil line contstruction.
    911 was not an attack it was an eraser of documents and a reason to pass laws to oppress the U.S. Citizens. THis has been in the works for years and years. Did you not listen to Kennedys speech just before he died???

August 16, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Reply
    • Frangible

Wow, those evil bankers sure sound like a real problem. Do you have a solution, perhaps a final one, for this banker question?

And, does it involve trains?

August 17, 2011 at 12:06 am | Reply
    • Marshall Johnson

Yeah! It's that damn Loch Ness monster, holding us down again!

August 17, 2011 at 12:29 am | Reply
  47. David

LOL who cares . Stop reporting stupid stories that MOST americans will never feel the effects

August 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Reply
    • Michael

Einstein...this is the same thing that allowed Dick Cheney to 'award' his former company (which he still owned tens of millions of dollars of stock in) the most lucrative, highest paying jobs to 'rebuild' Iraq, and the damage after Katrina. Those jobs should have gone to more qualified companies that didn't allow the one making the decision richer. It does affect you and your tax dollars you just don't realize it. Because some other company went broke, and filed for bankruptcy and ten thousand jobs were lost and now your pay higher taxes, health insurance, etc. Open your eyes a wee bit more to the world around you.

August 17, 2011 at 12:01 am | Reply
      • Frangible

So when DARPA made ARPAnet and the Internet, did that threaten the spotted owl population too?

August 17, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Al

David, plesae don't breed. Thanks.

August 17, 2011 at 12:19 am | Reply
  48. Motoman

This is how things work in America. The big money gets the big money while at the same time sucking the blood from the middle class. This adventure in science won't make any difference in most people's lives. The folks at the top don't read these posts from average Americans. The folks at the top don't care what we have to say. They know we are powerless and will keep it that way.

August 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Reply
    • Rok8man

Motoman, don't forget to take your med's tonight.

August 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Reply
      • Professor

And you, stop skipping those English 101 classes

August 17, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • mickey1313

to true

August 17, 2011 at 12:07 am | Reply
  49. Tershina

I thought this was a ufo

August 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Reply
  50. Mark

wait, you mean there's nepotism in government? awww, SH1T, say it ain't so

August 16, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Reply
  51. cbr

I am no defending the Department of Defense but I will say that for the 8 years that President Bush was in office contracts were awarded without bids, to many companies who had direct connections to members of the cabinet. Haliburton is one name that cropped up again and again as well as the group who provided security.

Congress and the Department Defense need to establish a tight policy for awarding contracts and paying contractors. Who knows how much money we paid to contractors during those last 8 years. Donald Rumsfeld might know.

August 16, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Reply
    • Thomas E. Shafovaloff

There already is a "tight" policy – you just described it.

August 17, 2011 at 12:58 am | Reply
  52. David

Those amounts are chump change–if you are going to rip off the USG, it ain't gonna be for a lousy $2 million.

August 16, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Reply
  53. Pragmaclast

Worst. Headline. Ever.

August 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  54. CSX

You mean the government would show favoritism? Surprise surprise.
    Where I work at the governemnt has a friends and family plan like Verizon, if you are a friend the door is greased.
    They get blackberries for doing nothing.

Each time they hire, the key is to have your kid play on their kids sports team, your in!!!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Reply
    • Frangible

Blackberries? If the government actually liked them, they'd get free iPhones.

August 16, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Reply
    • Thomas E. Shafovaloff

Once in, you just need to know who is getting the next promotion and when it is taking place. Then have the "promoted" write the job discription for you! But if not "in" write your resume to mirror somewhat the "promoted" or soon to be. If you are just submitting an application after a "notice" you are SOL.

August 17, 2011 at 1:05 am | Reply
  55. ClearFog

A Wing and a Player

August 16, 2011 at 11:39 pm | Reply
    • Islamicgenious

Research my camels nutsack infidels. Muhammed will smile you dogs very soon with his great imam of eternity. Down with the imperial whores.

August 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Reply
      • TaxesAreStealing

well, coming from someone with the IQ of used single ply toilet paper, you should probably rethink your comments, and your "handle"

August 17, 2011 at 12:01 am |
      • mickey1313

islam is for P***IES

August 17, 2011 at 12:10 am |
      • Islamicgenious? Really?

Islamic and Genius are non sequitur these days. BTW, you spelled genius wrong genius! Peaceful Muslims are welcome at my table anytime but to think that someone would be brazen enough to claim they are Islamic and "genious" and then bash the greatest republic in history that tolerates all religions is very discombobulated. Let's all try to live peacefully together and the US Gov will not have to build things that Russia, China and the rest of the wannabes covet...simple rule, thou shall not covet...

August 17, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  56. xenomorph

I bet Dick Cheney was probe cause of conflict of interest regarding Halliburton during the Irak war.

August 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Reply
    • Bob

Wow, you are Retarded!

August 17, 2011 at 12:34 am | Reply
  57. Boss Hogg

That is how all government business is dealt with. But no worries, even if somebody gets busted they always got board and chair spots on the IMF or the World Bank or the Federal Reserve, etc. But that is old world, now a days we just tell those ol boys to shut their mouths just like we did with ol Cheney and his quadrupling of his fortune with the Haliburton contracts and the uh, "lost" money in Iraq. Americans are too stupid to see this racket and too fat and lazy to do anything about it. Don't even need disinformation campaigns anymore!

August 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Reply
    • Robopenis

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh. Fat a$$.

August 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  58. John S.

Who cares about a conflict of interest? The BIG BIG story here is that this thing goes 13,000 miles per hour! That's once around the planet every 2 hours! OK so settle the meager conflict of interest crap and build this thing.

August 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Reply
    • Ezo

Uhh. If we're a taxpayer, you would care ( or should). But since it's apparent you're not, why not just STFU?

August 17, 2011 at 12:08 am | Reply
    • Marshall Johnson

There's no big story about that. They mounted this thing on a decomissioned Peacekeeper ICBM that goes much faster than 12,000 mph so it shouldn't be a surprise that this thing can go that fast.

August 17, 2011 at 12:31 am | Reply
    • Heidi

They did build it. It has been launched twice now, and failed both times. Conflicts that result in success can be hidden, conflicts that are utter failures are hard to hide.

August 17, 2011 at 12:42 am | Reply
  59. Frangible

Also, for all the anti-American teabaggers and leftards whining about defense funding, a little fact of the day for you: the very internet you're posting your incessant whining on was created from ARPAnet, and as those of you in the room with IQs of 50 or more may have guessed from the name, was created by DARPA. That's right teabaggers, socialism. That's right leftards, the Military-Industial Complex.

So if you hate defense research, don't use the internet, GPS, integrated circuits, photovoltaic cells, etc etc. Or you'd just be a whiny hypocrite. That's even worse than just being whiny.

August 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Reply
    • Robopenis

They will never get my titanium schlong back.

August 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Reply
    • mark

it was created when the military budget was a fraction of what it is now. and it was funded in large part by support from al gore. you seem to think the liberals don't want a military (which would be a very stupid position)...maybe you'd hate them less if you stopped and talked to some.

August 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Reply
      • Frangible

I never said all liberals were leftards. For the full definition, feel free to consult Encyclopedia Dramatica.

And when ARPAnet was created, the defense budget was a larger amount of the GDP, actually.

You may apologize to DARPA and thank them for the internet in the space convieniently provided below.

August 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • citizenUS-notChina

Frangile.....yup, I was there. The Arpanet and Scinet and a few others were contracted to the PRIVATE sector via DARPA to develop a secure network for the military (arpanet) and civilian scientists and Universities (Scinet).

The government and the military did not create the internet....they had no idea what this technology would evolve into or how it would be used in the private sector. The real development happened later under commercial research projects with the credit card companies and the airlines....AMEX and Japan Air to name just two.

Here's another fact: Our engineers and scientists that worked on developing the WEB, they all refused to work on Reagan's Star Wars initiative at that time. The DARPA program on the Arpanet was at risk if Reagan's gang didn't back off on star wars. It would be quite refreshing if today's engineers and scientists would force our military to back off on offensive weapons systems....enough is enough.

August 16, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Reply
      • Frangible

Sounds like someone needs to review the historical facts.

Also, the web was created by Tim Bernhers-Lee at CERN, another government funded nuclear research program. The US only had Gopher at the time. Which was created at a public university in Minnesota. Not a private corporation in some Randian victory of the free market.

No, they came along later and looted what government science had created.

August 16, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • mickey1313

1st off, as a liberal, I am not against DARPA, I am against them supressing tech, which they have absolutly done. If they had not, we would not be useing petrol, in any form, by now.

August 17, 2011 at 12:13 am | Reply
      • Frangible

That's not really fair though. DARPA did a lot of photovoltaic cell R&D, and they never stopped Ford from making the Nucleon. I agree though, we should all be driving Ford Nucleons instead of using primitive chemical energy sources that cause massive air pollution and global warming.

August 17, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • andy

I don't know where to begin to start picking away at all the logic skips in that paragraph, but... I won't even bother.

August 17, 2011 at 12:40 am | Reply
    • Al

Frangible, is our money jack tard, we can whine about how it's used all we want. You're obviously involved in the industry which is why you're so danged defensive about this issue. I'm not against defense spending, I'm against irresponsible defense spending. And there's a S%# ton of it.

August 17, 2011 at 1:06 am | Reply
  60. toobad

oooo do i read this right 2010 & 2011 fiscal years.. this happened under obama's watch...

libtards are getting sloppy........

August 16, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Reply
    • mickey1313

you do realize that this is pennies compaired to the haliburton/kbr contracts? the ones that are still being paied because cheny signed like 10 year contracts with them. faciest republican propigandast.

August 17, 2011 at 12:14 am | Reply
    • andy

Which would mean projects concieved, bidded on, and approved under Bush's watch. What's your point again?

August 17, 2011 at 12:37 am | Reply
  61. lord jazz

When you hit 50 or above, let me know. Its obviously possible or I wouldnt be making this comment, and you wouldnt be TESTING for it.

August 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Reply
  62. roro

well they found a new way to waste tax payer money

August 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Reply
  63. Robopenis

If it wasnt for darpa I would never have had my 40mm high explosive penile titanium reinforced twat smasher. Long live research projects.

August 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Reply
    • Travis

U turn it and get ur a$$ smashed by it.

August 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  64. Chaiah
    August 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Reply
  65. bailout

wow more debt crisis.

August 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  66. Pippa

Doesn't anyone see the obvious here? The ship looks exactly like the ship that crashed in the original Planet of the Apes (1968) movie! It never had a chance!

August 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Reply
  67. gary

Let me put it this way for the dems that want to slice the ground war, with theses one hit country busting ideals, And consider that ideal strike three already !

August 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Reply
    • mickey1313

what the f are you bableing about?

August 17, 2011 at 12:16 am | Reply
  68. MAP

Did any of the people responding read the story? And how on earth did the editor approve a headline that infers that the investigation is about the hypersonic vehicle? The investigation is about a DARPA administrator and a small company she founded and was run by her family. It has NO relevance to the hypersonic test, except that that is one of the many projects DARPA runs. I can only guess that the editor is trying to get more clicks, and sadly confirms that editing has become more advertising than journalism. I dare the editor to respond to me via email and explain to me why they tagged the story on the main CNN page as "Hypersonic aircraft maker probed". The Falcon vehicle shown in the accompanying graphic was made by Lockheed-Martin, not the company to be examined in the contract reviews.

August 16, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Reply
    • Nelba

good pints.

August 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Reply
      • Nelba

Good points! But pints are also good.

August 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • jesor

I agree with you. The editors need to know that their teaser is factually incorrect. DARPA doesn't really make things, it's sort of a grantmaking agency that sets parameters for research projects, companies bid on them, and then those companies perform the research and develop the various devices. They are particularly brilliant at it for sure, but they don't make things other than grants, and especially not the space plane. As you stated, two different companies.

August 16, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Reply
  69. matthew pallone

99% percent of aerospace programs experience issues and flight related problems during flight testing. If the flight would have went flawless there would probably be a few more of the same people on here bitching and griping praising DARPA.

August 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Reply
    • Mr. N

"The Defense Department has allowed delinquent contractors to avoid paying as much as $209 million owed the government, according to a letter released on Monday by four senators. The department's poor bookkeeping can mean that delinquent contractors who owe the government money might actually still be receiving payments from the government." – Government Executive.com

August 16, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Reply
      • Mr. N

Why did my comment end up here?!?

August 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  70. us

Pakistani hijacked the aircraft and it is in Beijing now 😉

August 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Reply
  71. cpc65

This is pretty much SOP in government and the military. Why the shock and surprise? Somebody probably just didn't renew their campaign contribution pledge.

August 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Reply
  72. NobodyCare

The question here is how much has been released to the public about the rumored crash. Nobody really knows what really going on. I bet you that there is no crash. Actually it is a controlled crash and DAPRA just does not want anybody to know exactly what is the test result. You know that CHINA is watching every move the US is going and will plan to do whatsoever it can do to steal the technology if the flight was a success.

August 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Reply
    • badognobiscuit

great point

August 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Reply
    • ctmjht

I'd venture you're assessment is probably 90% correct....:-)

August 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Reply
    • rtrauben

one wonders why darpa/cia disclosed this event to the world: does it need to start another cold war (this time
      with asia) or need more opportuinities to determine the identities of asian phisher-agents....

August 16, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Reply
  73. noslack2327

ˆ"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in a final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed."

–Dwight D. Eisenhower

August 16, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Reply
    • RonnyS

Unless, of course, the hungry people get employed/contracted by DARPA and/or the military.

August 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Reply
      • mark

unless of course twice the number of hungry are employed to produce things that help feed other people...yes trickle down exists, but is it the most efficient way to achieve your goals...i think that was the point. that being said, we do need both guns and butter in a world where other people make guns. the question is optimal balance and minimum risk

August 16, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • Yesman

...swords into plowshares...

August 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Reply
      • Barada

"Those who forge their swords into plowshares are destined to plow for those who didn't" (TJ)

August 17, 2011 at 12:12 am |
      • mickey1313

sucks when your neighbor still has swords though, like the responders quote

August 17, 2011 at 12:20 am |
    • Nelba

Ike did not range far enough. Add this academic aspect: Every student that is compelled to study a subject he does not need to know, does not want to know, and does not benefit from, has been robbed of time better spent elsewhere, and the taxpayer has been robbed of the funds that pays for this fraud. For example, the typical American does not need to know trigonometery, does not want to know trigonometery, and does not benefit from trigonometery.

August 16, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Reply
      • Frangible

Whiner. Take some Adderall and do your math homework. First order trigonometric approximations are way easier than doing diff eqs. I suppose it doesn't matter if you want people living in mud huts and being unable to comprehend science and nature...

August 16, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • Frangible

Too bad the defense industry created the middle class; World War II, the original stimulus package. Rosie the Riveter's gotta get paid.

August 16, 2011 at 11:37 pm | Reply
      • mickey1313

that was post ww2, and now the repubs want to turn things back to pre ww2, aka the 30's

August 17, 2011 at 12:21 am |
  74. Joe

It's George Bush's fault...

August 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Reply
    • desi

absolutely! This and all the projects awarded to Dick Chaney's Haliburton

August 16, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  75. badognobiscuit

sorry but this should be privately funded. the budget is overinflated. the tech has been around for over 10 years. it all smells of kick back, hedge fund, and payoffs. project X was a great example of the way to do it correctly. this is not. when government gets a clue about how to run a check book then I will supoort these types of programs.

August 16, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Reply
    • badognobiscuit

wait...after finishing the article.....REMO WILLIAMS...this is what it reminds me of....what was the contractors company called????

GROVE = DARPA does 5 letters and a billion dollar scam to the government ring a bell?

August 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Reply
      • Chaiah

LOL! REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS I have never encountered anyone who has seen that movie. Great B Movie – and we have it on dvd. It is exactly what I thought of when I read this article. Where are Chiun and Harold Smith when you need them. ; )

August 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  76. Kevin Tarr

The DAPHA agency has been torturing me since 1996. My name is Kevin Tarr, while working at HBO Inc in NY in 1997 I was told to move to Boca to help start a war. They have been experimenting on me with many torture technics. See Blog Sir Jeremiah Kennedy. Please help. 954 399 0048. The agency has a mind control satelitte that also causes earthquakes and hurricanes as we say with Katrina and Hati. I am John Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe son. I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida and have been in mental hospital 5 times.

August 16, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Reply
    • Nelba

And "Help, I am a prisoner in a chinese fortune cookie factory." (Message found in fortune cookie.)

August 16, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Reply
    • mickey1313

everyone knows that the CIA aborted JFK & monroe's baby.

August 17, 2011 at 12:24 am | Reply
      • Nelba

Gee I thought he was shot, not aborted.

August 17, 2011 at 1:23 am |
  77. Christopher

Might have been nice if the proper due diligence was done BEFORE this contract was handed out.

August 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  78. ClearFog

A wing and a player.

August 16, 2011 at 11:01 pm | Reply
  79. Paul

DARPA is possibly the most effective research program ever made, in the history of human kind. Conflict of interest will be managed and corrected. The program is however incredibly important and the very reason the USA is technology leader of the world. Some one will take advantage but that is little bits compared to the return on investment that DARPA has brought and still does brings to the entire country.
    DARPA 's total budget is in a few billions $$, nothing compare to the big items for the Defense Department. DARPA is not to be confused with contractors who provide services and products (including heave logistic like ships, warships, airplane etc) which are manage by the defense department procurement process. That's where the cutting is welcome and where real saving will actually occur.
    Let DARPA alone or face technological retardation

August 16, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

Even money, there was an "anonymous" complaint to the IG, which could be trivially traced to a competitor of the company.
      But, the IG never bothers investigating the SOURCE of a complaint, opening the process up to fraud and abuse of its own.
      I'll even happily bet that the investigation will find nothing at all and that all were above board in their business dealings.
      Something that is again, extremely common.
      And to put it mildly, I don't bet unless I'm 100% certain.

August 16, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Reply
    • mickey1313

except you forget that DARPA has burryed many technologies that would have saved this nation 50 years ago. Do people forget that Tessela's tower WORKED in new york. The government bought the patents and ended the program, because free clean energy is un-american.

August 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Reply
      • bumcheek7

Thanks. Best statement ever.

August 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
      • Lexagon

You need a bigger tinfoil hat. The one you're wearing seems to be cutting off the flow of blood to your brain.

August 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
      • Frangible

Tessela? Does he tesselate? How many tesselates is the strength of the Earth's magnetic field?

August 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
      • Inverse Square

It's not just a good idea; it's the LAW!

August 17, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Chaiah

As someone else already pointed out – the technology they have has been available for years. Also, there is something called Ethics and it needs to be followed in order to avoid any appearance of impropriety – which this situation has stamped all over it with arrows and neon signs pointing towards it.

August 17, 2011 at 12:05 am | Reply
  80. Mrmailman

Makes me question if Falcon Hypersonic Test Vehicle even exist and are just milking the GOVT's teet for some milk money.

August 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

Yeah, they're investigating a CONTRACT, therefor, the device doesn't exist. Yet another conspiracy theorist.

August 16, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  81. FU

When a test flight is a flop, heads roll...

August 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

Cattle cookies! Test flights of brand new technologies routinely fail. Heads remain intact.
      If they shut down every project that had initial failures were shuttered or heads rolled, even the internet wouldn't exist.

August 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Reply
    • Jean Sartre

Not really... it's cause to invest even more money in it to get it right one of the next 20 times...

August 17, 2011 at 1:47 am | Reply
  82. Sal Manilla

This is where the BIGGEST spending cuts should come from. End of subject!!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Reply
    • dreck

That's right.

August 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Reply
    • Ned Ludd

Yeah! Who needs all that technology development with civilian applications? Lose hundreds of billions of GDP to save a couple of billion of federal spending. It's the Tea Party Way!

August 17, 2011 at 12:25 am | Reply
  83. Chris

Looking for a place to start cutting back? How about defense contracts?

August 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

OK, no more vehicle maintenance, no more warrant repair, no more medical clinics for deployed troops, no more communications and networks for deployed troops, no more aircraft, no more missiles, no more bullets, no more food for deployed troops...
      Should I go on and on and on?
      Come to think of it, our deployed troops won't get home, as airlines are contracted to bring them home.
      Cool! You've abandoned our forces in hostile lands!
      And doomed us to have obsolete technology, while the rest of the world advances.

August 16, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • slewatha

we spend as much on our military as the rest of the world combined. To say that we can't drastically cut back on it and spend say only as much as 3/4 of the world combined is crazy. The fact that you say soldiers would be the ones to feel the cuts is pretty good evidence that the lobbyists would protect their civilian contracts at the expense of the actual military. Call our new military what it is, a jobs program.

August 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
      • Jean Sartre

Sounds like a great plan to me!

August 17, 2011 at 1:49 am |
    • The brain of chris

Ooops I didnt mean to write that, I was turned off momentarily due to a microwave burst amplified by my tupee. What I meant to say, we need goverment defence contracts and we should always stay prepared against our enemies.

August 16, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Reply
  84. Anthony Quatroni

Greed runs every aspect of this country. Why should this be any different?

August 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

How typical! Guilty until proved innocent in an unnecessary court of law, then still cry foul.
      It is a routine investigation, even money it was due to an "anonymous" complain by a competitor that didn't get the contract. Saw it happen a dozen times, every instance, unfounded.

August 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Reply
      • slewatha

They are guilty on so many occasions. The major hardware contractors such as McDonald Douglas and Northrop Grumman have all been caught over charging our military because it is just too easy for them because oversight has been lax. Halliberton was caught to the tune of tens of millions of dollars and they were rewarded with more no bid contracts. Time to slash this budget now.

August 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
      • Greg

no one over the age of ten would belive that these grants are given faily under these circumstances or assume the company in questions adds any value to our security.

August 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
      • Bill744

Many of the cases of "overcharging" are the result of overly complicated, ambiguous, or conflicting procurement regulations. Some of the famous cases of alleged overcharging stem from misunderstanding of the accounting rules chosen by the procurement agency. For example, the $9,000 radar adjustment wrench was a custom part (very long, a unique angle), hardened, then etched with the part number, blueprints to be kept until the last plane stopped flying, and the overhead was allocated on a per-capita basis rather than a pro-rata basis, greatly inflating the price. Malfeasance occurs, but not as commonly as people seem to think.

August 17, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  85. peter

military contractors who are unethical? unheard of!

August 16, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

You are absolutely right! From now on, ANYONE WANTING TO WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT MUST KILL THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY AND EXTENDED FAMILY.
      To avoid even an ACCUSATION by an "anonymous" complaint by a competitor that was outbid.
      Nothing like making assumptions with zero information!
      But then, unlike you, of the vast experience gained from the twinkie encrusted sofa, I put over 27 years of my life in military service to this nation and WATCHED these investigations go on over just what I said, a competitor tried to get the contract by making the accusation of unlawful contracts. Protected by the anonymous complaint, they got away with wasting everyone's time and government money proving the allegation was false.
      Way to be a wiling puppet!

August 16, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Reply
      • Bill744

Yes, indeed, I too have seen it many times. The more likely case of malfeasance is when one contractor is caught spying on the other to gain an unfair advantage. The result of one or a few bad apples playing unfairly is a redo of a lengthy procurement process, losses to shareholders, lengthy lawsuits, and the good, honest efforts of thousands of civil service, engineers, and program managers go down the drain.

August 17, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  86. Whombatt

I hope that if they find even the least bit of Dugan influence in the contract awarding process that she is summarily fired for cause and held up to public ridicule. We waste billions on sloppy defense contract administration, costly overruns driven by incompetent designers and unrealistic specifications. It needs to stop.

August 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Reply
    • JamesX

you do not seriously think this government will hold "Job Creators'" responsible for anything do you?

At least unlike most Job Creator's the Defense Contracts goes to Made in U.S.A.

August 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Reply
    • Wzrd1

If they DO find a conflict of interest and improper award of contracts, she will be terminated from government employment and the contract revoked.
      That is what ALWAYS happens on the few cases of improper award of contracts.
      But, even money, it was an "anonymous" complaint from a competitor that was outbid. ANCIENT news that wastes government investigators time and government money. They SHOULD investigate the anonymous source after the allegations are proved false.

August 16, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Reply